Options

Correct Spelling and Grammar

Comments

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Lizard wrote:
    I know all about the dunkman!!
    I was trying to be funny..........obviously didn't work!!! ;)

Don't feel bad..as we all know, the dunkman also tries to be funny ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Lizard wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    why does this thread title have a capitalised C, S and G yet the 'and' is in lower case?
    why do you spell capitalized with an "s"? :lol:

I believe Scotland invented that word, so I'll spell it the proper way if you don't mind!

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I heard someone today say ofTen. How do you pronounce it? I pronounce it with a silent T.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I heard someone today say ofTen. How do you pronounce it? I pronounce it with a silent T.

ha's jus supid Ziggysar.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    dunkman wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

ha's jus supid Ziggysar.

:D You're funny! I miss your humour at the other place....sometimes! :mrgreen:

....and note the correct usage of both you're and your in a sentence for anyone unsure 8-)
    Post edited by ZiggyStar on
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,923
    dunkman wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

ha's jus supid Ziggysar.

:lol::lol::lol: Dunk, you seem to be in a peculiar mood this morning. Did you watch too many episodes from your X-Files DVD box set last night?

By the way, I love your new sig. Had an excellent mental picture of the race. Could be because I watched Run Fat Boy, Run yesterday. :? :D

And Zig, really? You say ofen? What kinda English do you people speak down there? ;):D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options

And Zig, really? You say ofen? What kinda English do you people speak down there? ;):D [/color]

You're supposed to say it like that....

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html
  • Options
    I also went to a furniture store today and saw a sign for a stationary cupboard. Yesss, most cupboards are stationary! ;)

I see that mistake a lot. My dad taught me when I was little E for ENVELOPE. I never forgot it.
  • Options
    Ohhhh I just saw another one on the Porch :lol: ....this one really annoys me and I do not understand AT ALL why people say it.

ANYWHO

wtf is anywho? Can someone please explain it to me?
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I also went to a furniture store today and saw a sign for a stationary cupboard. Yesss, most cupboards are stationary! ;)

I see that mistake a lot. My dad taught me when I was little E for ENVELOPE. I never forgot it.

I"ll never forget "stationery" after losing a spelling bee in elementary school because of it!!

Speaking of elementary school, who here went to "kindagarden?"

(I say anywho...and i have NO idea why or where I got it from!!!!)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Ohhhh I just saw another one on the Porch :lol: ....this one really annoys me and I do not understand AT ALL why people say it.

ANYWHO

wtf is anywho? Can someone please explain it to me?
    :lol:

Glad to. I don't know how it was used on the Porch but anywho may be one of those words we just use in the States. It's informal or slang. It means anyhow, at any rate, anyway. As far as I can remember, it's been around since at least the 70s and it's just meant as a playful way of saying it in conversation. It really comes across better when you're speaking, because instead of someone saying, "anyhow," you hear, "anyhoo," as in "Anyhoo, that's what they told me," or "Anyhoo, great talking with you but I'd better be getting back to work." Since I heard the word before I ever saw it written, it never occurred to me to think of it as referring to a person but I can see why it would be confusing. ;)

If you want to get all grammatical, it's an adverb, not a pronoun. :geek:

Also, anywho.com (almost no relation to this discussion) is a handy web site for looking up phone numbers and addresses. :ugeek:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    I think whoprincess is right about the nature of people using "anyhoo" merely as a variation of "anyhow." It's similar to when people speak with playful accents (country or something else) to be silly with their friends.

For example-->

Doncha think?
    Whatcha doin'?
    Gotta git goin'!

:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I think whoprincess is right about the nature of people using "anyhoo" merely as a variation of "anyhow." It's similar to when people speak with playful accents (country or something else) to be silly with their friends.

For example-->

Doncha think?
    Whatcha doin'?
    Gotta git goin'!

indeed.....and that is so me. well, not the 'gotta git goin', hahaha....but the rest, i use, and type here, OFTEN. i use anyhoo a LOT. anyone who reads many of my posts is probably well aware of that. ;) same with doncha, sayin', etc, etc....it's just casual and breezy convo imo.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    justam wrote:

For example-->

Doncha think?
    Whatcha doin'?
    Gotta git goin'!

indeed.....and that is so me. well, not the 'gotta git goin', hahaha....but the rest, i use, and type here, OFTEN. i use anyhoo a LOT. anyone who reads many of my posts is probably well aware of that. ;) same with doncha, sayin', etc, etc....it's just casual and breezy convo imo.

Yes.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I'm kind of a stickler with spelling. I hate when you are reading something and every other word is misspelled. It's distracting.But I'm guilty of sloppy grammar at times. :oops:
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    Do you say:

I played the song loud on my stereo

OR

I played the song loudly on my stereo
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Do you say:

OR

The shit be on blast..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Do you say:

OR

The shit be on blast..

um...i think it's actually "Dat shit be on blast."

• Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Do you say:

OR

Loudly. It bugs me that people don't seem to know the difference between adverbs and adjectives any more. (I don't mean you.)
  • Options
    I was reminded of this thread when reading the transcript from a documentary last evening. I know that someone else in this thread mentioned this as a pet peeve, people who use 'like' as every second word, or 'you know,' and I just had to post an excerpt from this interview :lol::lol::lol:

Um, well, I think that's a really...that's like saying, I don't know, let's see, what would be a...kind of because it's a taboo thing, you know. Like, that's like saying, everyone with a tattoo is a drug addict. You know. Every guy that buys a Corvette is going through a mid-life crisis, you know, like, I would say that when you're new there are people in every industry anywhere that is willing to take advantage of you. But it's like, kinda like there's levels of the industry, and there's levels of people that you want to work with, you know what I mean?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    I was reminded of this thread when reading the transcript from a documentary last evening. I know that someone else in this thread mentioned this as a pet peeve, people who use 'like' as every second word, or 'you know,' and I just had to post an excerpt from this interview :lol::lol::lol:

Um, well, I think that's a really...that's like saying, I don't know, let's see, what would be a...kind of because it's a taboo thing, you know. Like, that's like saying, everyone with a tattoo is a drug addict. You know. Every guy that buys a Corvette is going through a mid-life crisis, you know, like, I would say that when you're new there are people in every industry anywhere that is willing to take advantage of you. But it's like, kinda like there's levels of the industry, and there's levels of people that you want to work with, you know what I mean?

thanks for giving me a headache on a friday afternoon :twisted: :P :mrgreen:
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Seems like anyone can scew up every now and then...
    http://www.aol.com/__photogallery/popup ... ward_signs

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    norm wrote:

thanks for giving me a headache on a friday afternoon :twisted: :P :mrgreen:

I'm glad I could help you start your weekend off right :lol::lol::lol:

The whole interview was like this, sometimes worse! :shock:
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Do you say:

OR

Loudly. It bugs me that people don't seem to know the difference between adverbs and adjectives any more. (I don't mean you.)

I say loudly.....thankfully! ;)
  • Options
    Oh my. I received an invite to a 40th Birthday party the other day that said:

“Your Invited!” and “Adult’s only”

Wow. These were professionally printed invites! Clearly the person hosting this event believes it to be of some importance if she made the effort of selecting nice invitations and having them printed on beautiful cardstock. Too bad she doesn’t know how to use the English language properly. Sadder than that, I bet I’m just one of a small percentage who actually noticed the errors!

:?
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    Wish I Was wrote:
    Oh my. I received an invite to a 40th Birthday party the other day that said:

“Your Invited!” and “Adult’s only”

Wow. These were professionally printed invites! Clearly the person hosting this event believes it to be of some importance if she made the effort of selecting nice invitations and having them printed on beautiful cardstock. Too bad she doesn’t know how to use the English language properly. Sadder than that, I bet I’m just one of a small percentage who actually noticed the errors!

:?

awwwwww....that stinks!! I got an invitation that had the person's email address wrong...EEK!

I always wonder how many people besides myself notice those things...

• Options
    I'm sick of people saying their tenses incorrectly....

Saw/seen
    Come/came

I heard a sports commentator on the news last night say "when he come over to get the ball"....no no no!!!

And my bf's mum ALWAYS says "I seen a movie last night" or whatever..... :|
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    clearly, you do not want my kind in this thread.

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I'm sick of people saying their tenses incorrectly....

Saw/seen
    Come/came

I heard a sports commentator on the news last night say "when he come over to get the ball"....no no no!!!

And my bf's mum ALWAYS says "I seen a movie last night" or whatever..... :|

ewww..I can't stand when people say "seen!" It makes me shudder...really, you seen it?? It doesn't even SOUND right!!

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    81 wrote:
    clearly, you do not want my kind in this thread.

this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQKwik2vjQ

;):lol::lol::lol: :shock: