Correct Spelling and Grammar

Comments

• Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    norm wrote:
    Bring Versus Take

my mom pointed it out to me once and now it drives me crazy!! :twisted:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/br ... -take.aspx

Huh? Who doesn't know that!!? :? I thought everyone knew that! My 7 year old niece knows that!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    Seeing "I would of", or "could of", or anything like that, actually makes me collapse into a shivering wreck of pure rage.

This one drives me absolutely fucking insane.

My friend is a teacher (grade 5) and she sent me an engagement party invite:

As you would of already heard, we got engaged

And she's teaching our youth!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Why has the word they become singular?
    "If a person does not vote, they can't complain."
    "Someone gets behind the wheel. They have been drinking."
    The correct pronoun is he. He can't complain. He has been drinking. Is "they" the politically correct term for an individual, because "he" is too masculine? I can say "He or she" in about a second. It's three easy syllables!

Let's not forget alot.

he/she is only the correct pronoun when the sex of the subject has been identified. when the subject is nonspecific then how can the pronoun, plural or singular, be??

in your example of "If a person does not vote, they can't complain." , the they pronoun is third person. im not talking about me not voting, im not talking about you not voting, im talking about an undetermined and nonspecific someone else. therefore the use of the pronoun they is acceptable.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Thank God I'm not the only one!!

All this stuff drives me absolutely nuts and, worse, it really worries me. How can grown adults not know correct grammar? I know college students planning to go to med school who talk like this - because they actually think it's correct! Even if they just don't care, I still think that's a problem. Plus, it's just painful to read and hear. I actually have to correct it in my mind when I read incorrect grammar.

For the record, I can understand typos, misspellings (I suck at spelling), and a few differences of opinion ("they" as plural, for instance, which I think is never correct) - and there are a few things that I somehow never learned in school (take vs. bring, for instance). But I think we've reached a new level of grammatical incompetence.

I went to a spa recently and the brochures were so filled with grammatical errors, formatting inconsistencies, etc. that I would have decided to not go there if it weren't for the fact that I had a gift certificate. It was so painful and I felt so bad for the owner, who actually did provide good services, that I offered to revise the brochures for free.

Here's another one that irks me: "Your call will be answered in the order it was received." Anyone else have a problem with this sentence?
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    For the record, I can understand typos, misspellings (I suck at spelling), and a few differences of opinion ("they" as plural, for instance, which I think is never correct) - and there are a few things that I somehow never learned in school (take vs. bring, for instance). But I think we've reached a new level of grammatical incompetence. ...

bob: where did those dogs go??

jenny: they ran around the corner

how is they as a plural never correct???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    scb wrote:
    For the record, I can understand typos, misspellings (I suck at spelling), and a few differences of opinion ("they" as plural, for instance, which I think is never correct) - and there are a few things that I somehow never learned in school (take vs. bring, for instance). But I think we've reached a new level of grammatical incompetence. ...

bob: where did those dogs go??

jenny: they ran around the corner

how is they as a plural never correct???

Haha... SINGULAR... I meant "they" as SINGULAR is never correct (in my opinion). Figures I'd screw that up in a thread about people screwing up what they write. What can I say? It's really late here and I'm exhausted. :oops:
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,923
    scb wrote:
    Haha... SINGULAR... I meant "they" as SINGULAR is never correct (in my opinion). Figures I'd screw that up in a thread about people screwing up what they write. What can I say? It's really late here and I'm exhausted. :oops:

:lol::lol::lol: I did that in a thread on the Porch as well. An amazingly kind person, with a great sense of humour, thoughtfully sent me a pm to let me know. After I stopped laughing, I quickly went and corrected it. :oops: :lol::lol:

Every time I contribute to this thread, I'm thinking, "those in glass houses . . .." :? :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I know I'm not the only spelling and grammar dork out there....I mean, I know I don't always say or type things right myself, but this particular phrase prompted me to start a thread:

"I could care less"

Am I the only person that gets irritated when people say this?? it's "I COULDN'T care less!!"

think about it--it just makes sense....I know it HAS to drive other people crazy besides me, right???

it doth drive the dunkman insaneth

caring.png
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    dunkman wrote:
    it doth drive the dunkman insaneth

caring.png

AHHH!! I love it!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Well, it's one thing to be tired or in a hurry and misspell something, post the wrong word, or leave a word out. It's just a message board and people will either figure out what you meant or (lucky you) point out your error. But to actually have something in print with those kinds of mistakes just blows my mind. Our local snoozepaper seems to be full of errors every day. I guess they're not 100% the paper's fault; today I saw an obituary that had the sentence: "He had a rye wit." :?

Back to those pesky apostrophes. How often have you seen our new President's name written as O'Bama? With all the debates about his birthplace, I never heard any discussion about Ireland. :roll:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I've also noticed a lot of people spell et cetera as ect instead of etc. I think it's because some people pronounce it excetra....
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I always hear ""drive safe" when it should be "safely"--right? :oops:
    :) it bothers me!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    I know I'm not the only spelling and grammar dork out there....I mean, I know I don't always say or type things right myself, but this particular phrase prompted me to start a thread:

"I could care less"

Am I the only person that gets irritated when people say this?? it's "I COULDN'T care less!!"

think about it--it just makes sense....I know it HAS to drive other people crazy besides me, right???

I admit that I'm kind of a snob when it comes to bad writing. It makes me cringe a little to see "your" when people mean "you're" or when they write "could of" when they mean "could have."

Since education to high school is free in the US, it just makes some people seem careless when they speak, spell, and write simple ideas poorly. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    he/she is only the correct pronoun when the sex of the subject has been identified. when the subject is nonspecific then how can the pronoun, plural or singular, be??

in your example of "If a person does not vote, they can't complain." , the they pronoun is third person. im not talking about me not voting, im not talking about you not voting, im talking about an undetermined and nonspecific someone else. therefore the use of the pronoun they is acceptable.

I must have been taught a different grammar lesson than you. If there are regional or generational variations, that could explain the problem. I learned that the singular pronoun "he" is used to refer to a person of unspecified gender. It is also used when the person is known to be male. "She" is only used when a person is known to be of female gender. "He" is the default word to be used for a hypothetical individual, and the undetermined and nonspecific someone from your quote. To you, it seems wrong to assign gender to this person. To me, it seems wrong to make him plural.

When I was a child, the huge majority of all books and printed materials used the word "he" almost constantly. In my teens, the phrase "he or she" was more acceptable. Then it became common for books to alternate between both "he" and "she." (For example, a child care book would use "he" for the subject of the first chapter, "she" for the second chapter.)

In the past couple of years, I've noticed "they" replacing "he or she" in pop culture. So far, I have not seen a professionally printed book use "they" as a singular... But it's probably just a matter of time.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options

I must have been taught a different grammar lesson than you. If there are regional or generational variations, that could explain the problem. I learned that the singular pronoun "he" is used to refer to a person of unspecified gender. It is also used when the person is known to be male. "She" is only used when a person is known to be of female gender. "He" is the default word to be used for a hypothetical individual, and the undetermined and nonspecific someone from your quote. To you, it seems wrong to assign gender to this person. To me, it seems wrong to make him plural.

When I was a child, the huge majority of all books and printed materials used the word "he" almost constantly. In my teens, the phrase "he or she" was more acceptable. Then it became common for books to alternate between both "he" and "she." (For example, a child care book would use "he" for the subject of the first chapter, "she" for the second chapter.)

In the past couple of years, I've noticed "they" replacing "he or she" in pop culture. So far, I have not seen a professionally printed book use "they" as a singular... But it's probably just a matter of time.

its not about assigning wrong gender... its about the use of they as a third person plural pronoun in a situation where an indefinite article, in this instance a, is used to identify the membership of a group. the person in our example is non specific, we could be talking about any person who does not vote, not a particular person who has already been identified.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    why does this thread title have a capitalised C, S and G yet the 'and' is in lower case?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    why does this thread title have a capitalised C, S and G yet the 'and' is in lower case?

As long as you don't dangle your participle, it's all good.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

:lol:
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,741
    As long as you don't dangle your participle, it's all good.
    I hate it when my participle dangles.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    edited September 2009
    There's some real grammar love going on in here. May I offer a suggestion? When clarifying specific rules of grammar it would be helpful (for those of us who haven't been in an English classroom in over a decade, or those of us who don't pay attention in English class because we are too busy texting things like "2g2f... lulz") if we could give specific example sentences displaying the incorrect and correct usage of the rule.

Just a thought... anyone else? :)
    Post edited by HeavyHands on
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    My dad picks up split infinitives of mine every now and then. I really struggle with those....I just don't click that I'm doing it sometimes. :roll:
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    There's some real grammar love going on in here. May I offer a suggestion? When clarifying specific rules of grammar it would be helpful (for those of us who haven't been in an English classroom in over a decade, or those of us who don't pay attention in English class because we are too busy texting things like "2g2f... lulz") if we could give specific example sentences displaying the incorrect and correct usage of the rule.

Just a thought... Anyone else? :)

I agree. I need examples.
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:

It should be "Just a thought ... anyone else?"

:ugeek: ;);)
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    dunkman wrote:

LOL!! I was looking at it like a title or something :-) and I don't remember what a dangling participle is **goes to look it up**
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    dunkman wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

:roll: :lol:

Now you're making me remember why I hated telling people that I was an English teacher. It was like saying you had an STD or just got out of prison. People would say things like, "Well! I guess I'll have to watch my grammar around you!" And I'd say, "Yeah, because I'm going to give a test in 10 minutes!" Or they'd say, "I always hated English. It was my worst subject in school." Apparently I was supposed to get all Freudian and help them recover from the memories of their 7th grade English teacher.

So I usually tried to throw in a few ungrammatical bits of my own to make people feel comfortable, let them think like my hick relatives: "All that book learning and not a lick of sense."

In other words, this is the Pit, people! I don't give a shit how you post stuff here! I'm talking about how people write business letters, reports, brochures, magazine articles, books! THAT'S when all this stuff drives me crazy! :!: :ugeek: ;)

Speaking entirely for myself, of course. ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    do you know what really pisses me off?people getting wound up about spelling and grammar on the internet.

ok,i dont get it.i'm dyslexic and the rules make NO sense to me.like none.people have tried again and again to explain things,but they dont stick.

although i wouldnt expect any of you to sit through a glaze technology lesson and understand whats going on.
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    why do you spell capitalized with an "s"? :lol:
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    dunkman wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

Touche. ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Dunkman is in the UK, where English is spoken- Not American English.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Dunkman is in the UK, where English is spoken- Not American English.
    I know all about the dunkman!!
    I was trying to be funny..........obviously didn't work!!! ;)