Options

Spin - Backspacer review

GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
edited August 2009 in The Porch
Just got home and read it. Short but good. 8/10. I'm sure someone can provide an online link but if not i can transcribe it later this evening.
“I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Just got home and read it. Short but good. 8/10. I'm sure someone can provide an online link but if not i can transcribe it later this evening.

Ooo! Please do. Does anyone know what they gave Avocado?
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    I checked and they gave it (Avocado) 3 stars (out of 5). So this one is more favorable.

And they gave Riot Act 7/10.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I couldn't find the review on their website.
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 711
    can you write it out for us?
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    here ya go:
    Headline : Alive Again, Naturally (Ed Ved and Crew crank up the carpe diem to 11)

Conventional wisdom marks 2006's Pearl Jam as the grunge outfits reignition point after years without a spark. If that's true, then the first three songs on their ninth full-length are the explosion at the end of an extremely long fuse. The band hasn't put together a trifecta this energized and from the gut in a decade, and though the rest of Backspacer doesn't match that opening salvo, it has terrific time trying.

"Gonna See My Friend", "Got Some" , and "the Fixer" nearly upend each other after rushing out the gate, exploiting Pearl Jam's leanest, punkest tendencies. And those traits carry through the albums 36 minutes. No time to waste and Obama in the White House mean no political bellyaching, so when Eddie Vedder pulls out that indignant yet inclusive snarl and proclaims "When somethings gone, I wanna fight to get it back again", you can probably assume "it" is his bands mojo.

Even the requisite restrained ballads feel renewed: "the End" finds Vedder channeling Cat Stevens, backed by a string and brass ensamble. Then there's the towering anthem "Amongt the Waves", which could bring "Alive" fans back to the fold. It even expands on that song's theme, moving from grudging survival to jubilant exuberance ("I've put away my early grave"). For the first time in years, Pearl Jam are seizing the moment rather than wallowing in it. JOSH MODELL

8/10
    Post edited by Gardenparty on
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Goddammit I can't wait for this album.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    alliw719alliw719 Posts: 99
    Holy shit!

(I drank a wee bit too much water before I read this :? )
    "Mona Lisa must have had the highway blues you can tell by the way she smiles."
  • Options
    Sounds good!! I love the idea of a strong 1-2-3 at the beginning. And I already know I love Unthought Known, Speed of Sound, Supersonic, and The End. I'm thinking this one is gonna be really good.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    alliw719 wrote:
    Holy shit!

(I drank a wee bit too much water before I read this :? )

:? my thoughts exactly :lol:
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    LOL, these reviews kill me. WHy does just about every single review of a new pearl jam album always have to include phrases such as "return to form", "pearl jam is back", "best album in a decade", "pearl jam sounds invigorated", "eddie isnt pissed off anymore".

This review is littered with crap like that, even the headline "Alive again"...."The band hasn't put together a trifecta this energized and from the gut in a decade"....."when Eddie Vedder pulls out that indignant yet inclusive snarl and proclaims "When somethings gone, I wanna fight to get it back again", you can probably assume "it" is his bands mojo."....."For the first time in years, Pearl Jam are seizing the moment rather than wallowing in it. "

These type of reviews started with Yield and havent stopped. These reviewers cant get past 90s pearl jam, they bring it up in every review. Just talk about the new songs and how they sound and stop with the "return to form", "alive again" bs
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

JUST LEAK ALREADY!!

Call me weak. Call me a bad fan. Tell me I'm ruining the "experience" but I don't know how much longer I can wait for hearing this album.

(Did the reviewer not listen to the last album. Life Wasted-WWS-Comatose is one HELL of a energetic first three)
  • Options
    This sounds good. This seems to support some of my initial feelings from what I've heard. Reading this review and seeing the Supersonic performance today has amped up my excitement.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

this is gonna be one long month
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I agree with Mr Pink
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Then there's the towering anthem "Amongt the Waves", which could bring "Alive" fans back to the fold. It even expands on that song's theme, moving from grudging survival to jubilant exuberance ("I've put away my early grave").
    :o :shock: :mrgreen:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    pouch15 wrote:
    I agree with Mr Pink

As do i but what more would you expect from Spin? it's good to see an actual write up finally, though

and it's positive so......
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I completely agree with kiljoy...I was a little worried about the earlier review of Supersonic that said it was the obligatory crazy pearl jam song found on every album since Vitalogy. I couldn't help but think of the other ones they may be referring to: Get Right, Big Wave, Whipping, etc., good enough but not that great IMO. But damn, Supersonic kicks ass :o , I can't wait for this album!!!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    There really isnt much to get from that "review"
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    mrpink90 wrote:
    LOL, these reviews kill me. WHy does just about every single review of a new pearl jam album always have to include phrases such as "return to form", "pearl jam is back", "best album in a decade", "pearl jam sounds invigorated", "eddie isnt pissed off anymore".

This review is littered with crap like that, even the headline "Alive again"...."The band hasn't put together a trifecta this energized and from the gut in a decade"....."when Eddie Vedder pulls out that indignant yet inclusive snarl and proclaims "When somethings gone, I wanna fight to get it back again", you can probably assume "it" is his bands mojo."....."For the first time in years, Pearl Jam are seizing the moment rather than wallowing in it. "

These type of reviews started with Yield and havent stopped. These reviewers cant get past 90s pearl jam, they bring it up in every review. Just talk about the new songs and how they sound and stop with the "return to form", "alive again" bs

I agree. The "best album in a decade" one always kills me. They said the exact same thing about "Avocado." Besides 10 years ago PJ's current album was "Yield" which is their best work but hardly "from the gut."
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    F5F5 Posts: 791
    norm wrote:

this is gonna be one long month
    I think I'm going to have to avoid the forum for the next month. Over a month till Backspacer comes out and till the Seattle shows. If I keep getting one here I'm going to go nuts!!!! :geek:
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    great review but isn't it kind of funny how if they would have trashed the album everyone would have been saying that reviews don't mean shit. And that the writer doesn't know anything about music. Just something i've observed over the years on here.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this- great review
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Of the studio albums, what is the best 1-2-3 start?

Once, Evenflow, Alive
    Go, Animal, Daughter
    Last Exit, Spin The Black Circle, Not For You
    Sometimes, Hail Hail, Who You Are
    Brain of J., Faithful, No Way
    Breakerfall, Gods' Dice, Evacuation
    Can't Keep, Save You, Love Boat Captain
    Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose
    Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, The Fixer (even though we haven't heard GSMF yet)
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    bigbadbill wrote:

Once, Evenflow, Alive
    Go, Animal, Daughter
    Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, The Fixer (even though we haven't heard GSMF yet)

they're all good for different reasons. If we're just talking "punch" i think Vitalogy is the best 1-2-3.
  • Options
    DeckDeck Posts: 76
    I was just about to come here and post a thread asking if anyone has seen any reviews come in yet. lol
    11/22/93 Little Rock
    07/02/98 St. Louis
    10/12/00 Kansas City
    06/20/09 Memphis (EV)
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Sounds like this album is going to be good enough that we'll have to share our love with quite a few new fans, haha.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    bigbadbill wrote:

Once, Evenflow, Alive
    Go, Animal, Daughter
    Reading this thread I had the idea of posting the same question... I personally would have to go with Yield, Vitalogy coming in as a close second.

And yeah, the Spin reviewer not acknowledging Avocado's start as an "energized trifecta" is kinda weird...
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    mrpink90 wrote:

I agree with you 100%. Who gives a shit what some idiot from spin thinks. Sure it's nice that he likes the album. But who really cares? I'm excited to hear this album whether this idiot likes it or not. Return to form???? Fuck off already.

It's almost worse that he likes the album after such an idiotic review.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Mr. Pink, it's one opinion, relax, the review is positive. That's a good thing. Is it September yet?
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    JOSH MODELL

FWIW... I seem to recall him being predisposed to not thinking PJ was a very good band.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard