Surfing Thread ((((_

booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
There was one of these in the old pit, but it looks like didn't make it over here. So this is the new surfing thread. Please... share your pics, let us know about your breaks and spots, or just fill us in on how epic your session was. Whatever you want!

Hurricane Bill is bringing the first real swell to the East Coast... Who's paddling out?
being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Took my SUP to Tofino for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The waves were like, 3 - 5 feet, but Im only used to flat water...Holy crap! Didn't realize you get so beat up jumping back on the board after you get washed off...I think I managed to stand for about 3 seconds...but kneeling on it and catching a wave was almost the best feeling in the world! Must practice practice practice...of course, the waves in this part of the world are way too close together... My husband? He was an expert the first time he tried..bugger...
    be philanthropic
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Yeah good thread idea!!!

We did used to have one didnt we....and from memory it was quite large.

Not much to report down here in Sydney. Water is about 15degrees. Ive been out about 3 times in the last 2 months :cry:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • 1st sign of Bill started showing up this morning ( Folly Beach-The pier) Head high with bigger sets,about 16 sec in between sets.
    I paddled out this morning and it was really fun. The wind is really starting to fuck it all up though. Which is typical. Anytime that we get an actual real ground swell here comes the wind and 7 times outta 10 it's the wrong direction. Swell will probably peak today. The outer banks will be the place to be this weekend. Oh well I need to start packing anyways cos Im going to Chi town for 2 shows. :mrgreen:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I live in South Florida, and there are actually a few really fun spots here, but we had a stretch with no waves for about three months. However, I am hoping that Hurricane Bill gives us some good stuff this weekend. I heard there are winds out of the west tomorrow which will make for a nicer swell. On the other hand, I hope it doesnt get too big because all i have is a 9'2" longboard and paddling out gets difficult when it's over 5 foot.

hope y'all catch a few this weekend!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    NYC Area Beaches CLOSED

hurricane_bill_1053560.jpg

Several NYC Beaches Closed In Anticipation Of Bill
    Lifeguards From Jersey To Long Island Preparing For Weekend SwimmersNEW YORK (CBS) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
    Hurricane Bill over the Atlantic Ocean on Aug. 19, 2009.
    AP

Even before the beach at Jacob Riis Park was officially closed Friday morning for swimming because of treacherous conditions, Joy Rosenberg didn't like what she was seeing.

"When I see a lot of white caps, I am out of here. It's beautiful, but not for swimming," said Rosenberg, of Belle Harbor.

Only the lifeguards were allowed out to ride the waves, to see just how strong and scary the riptides are.

"It's pretty rought out there. There are a lot of riptides. I'm definitely happy they closed the beaches," said lifeguard Jordana Cotilletta.

Officially, Jacob Riis beach is closed to swimming, as are Rockaway Beach, Coney Island Beach, Manhattan Beach, South Beach, Midland Beach and Wolf's Pond Beach. Only Orchard Beach in the Bronx is open.

The National Weather Service advises that although Bill is hundreds of miles off the coast in the Atlantic Ocean, beaches along the East Coast are beginning to see its effects on Friday. In some areas, eight foot waves or larger have been measured.

"As weather conditions are changing quickly, it is essential that people not enter the water at closed beaches," said Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe. "As always, beachgoers must obey the instructions of lifeguards, Police and other Parks and security personnel."

Impacts from Hurricane Bill are anticipated to include heavy surf, rip currents, coastal erosion, beach-over washes, and minor coastal flooding.

For the time being, Alina Tsesarski got to enjoy the water before the beach was closed.

"The water was excellent, nice and warm, it was great," Tsesarski told CBS 2 HD.

But 11-year-old Michael Malinovsky had to be content playing in the sand.

"It's kind of tough, if you go in there, there's the possibility the lifeguards might save you, but they might not, so you could drown," said Malinovsky.

Surfers however, and even some lifeguards, can't resist the challenge of a rough surf.

"It really depends on the conditions, if the wind is right and the conditions are right, if it's a big storm and lots of white water, it's generally not a good idea," said lifeguard Richie Tommpert.

Bill is the first Atlantic hurricane this year after a quiet start to the season that runs from June through November. The Miami center lowered its Atlantic hurricane outlook on Aug. 6 after no named tropical storms developed in the first two months.

The revised prediction was for three to six hurricanes, with one or two becoming major storms with winds over 110 mph. Researchers at Colorado State University have also lowered their Atlantic season forecast to four hurricanes, two of them major.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Dawn Patrol! I'll be up checking a few spots, b/c there won't be many beaches that will hold this swell. First stop AC
    Just got the Point Break DVD today! Still looking high and low for Riding Giants....
    be philanthropic
  • Just got the Point Break DVD today! Still looking high and low for Riding Giants....

Here's a list of some good flicks
    1.The endless summer 1,and 2
    2.Rip Curl The Search series (all of them)
    3. any video directed by Taylor Steele.
    Billabong, Volcom,and Quiksilver have alot of movies out that are really good to.

Just about any major surfboard or clothing company has a few guys that they sponsor and they send them off around the world to find and surf perfect waves and they film it. Check your local surf shop if you want to see a real flick.

I don't know how long you've been surfing but point break is not cosidered a surf flick.
    I was trying to be funny...Gidget is more of a surf movie than Point Break... :roll:

I have "A Brokedown Melody" which I quite enjoy...When I bought my board, the shop threw it in...But thanks for the other suggestions...I'll look into some of those...!
    be philanthropic
  • This might surprise ya’ll, but I havta throw it in here….

Yes people with disabilities can surf. No, we don’t duct tape chairs into surfboards.
    Hehehehe

pics and video:
    http://www.ivykennedy.com/surf/surf.htm
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

This might surprise ya’ll, but I havta throw it in here….

Yes people with disabilities can surf. No, we don’t duct tape chairs into surfboards.
    Hehehehe

pics and video:
    http://www.ivykennedy.com/surf/surf.htm

Hey you!!

Have you had a chance to get out there and do it again after the fun you had last time :)
    Well I just answered my own question...you did get to go again :D

Copped yourself a few arm injuries did ya....the surf looks a little bigger than last time yeh?

Let us know if you get hands on a video will you. Been too cold to surf down here in Australia at the moment
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    Surf was great this weekend.. Andy Irons even made an appearance by me(yup NJ). It was nice to see him out there with our local pros and well us regular folk. I didn't bring any of my camera gear with me. I am still in training to shoot from the water and well with the drift and everything I didn't want to risk it. It was more fun to watch this time. Here is a good site for the central jersey crowd.

http://www.localswell.com
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • DonJon wrote:

Hey you!!

Have you had a chance to get out there and do it again after the fun you had last time :)

you remember me from when i first surfed and posted about it? very cool!

yeah this time i wanted to go out again, again, and again..... :mrgreen:
    i guess the surf was a little larger, i didn't notice.
    they keep changing boards on me! can't get use to one. gotta buy some more gear to protect myself. not that i don't mind shopping.... hehehe.

is it too cold even with a wetsuit?

DonJon wrote:

Hey you!!

you remember me from when i first surfed and posted about it? very cool!

yeah this time i wanted to go out again, again, and again..... :mrgreen:
    i guess the surf was a little larger, i didn't notice.
    they keep changing boards on me! can't get use to one. gotta buy some more gear to protect myself. not that i don't mind shopping.... hehehe.

is it too cold even with a wetsuit?

Im most certainly do remember and I remember how stoked you were!!!

I noticed straight away that the swell was a little bigger....you didnt notice? Too excited!?!?!?

I have been out a few times with a full body wetsuit but not as much as previous years....Im getting old :lol: . Ill be back bigtime come November down here
  • DonJon wrote:
    I noticed straight away that the swell was a little bigger....you didnt notice? Too excited!?!?!?

yup, i guess that's why i didn't notice. :mrgreen:
    these baby virginia waves are perfect for me.
    have fun in november!

Nor'easter has left... winds have switched WNW. Cleaning up nice! :D

Cleared the schedule: getting in Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Fucking Stoked!
  • Surfing in San Jose del Cabo, fun stuff. I need to go somewhere surfing bad.

Where are good places on East Coast to go surfing? Specifically Florida or North Carolina. Any tips and times of year are appreciated so I can plan a trip and time. I'm completely clueless on when and how tell when the best time is.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1123121061

"That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
    Surfing in San Jose del Cabo, fun stuff. I need to go somewhere surfing bad.

Where are good places on East Coast to go surfing? Specifically Florida or North Carolina. Any tips and times of year are appreciated so I can plan a trip and time. I'm completely clueless on when and how tell when the best time is.

Out of all the places in the world to surf, you wanna make a trip to the East Coast??? you would wanna come in August-September during hurricane season. Cape Hatteras is home to the best waves on the EC, a place called S Turns is an awesome wave. Don't know much about Florida personally, but it definitely does break. Beaches like Juno, New Symrna(I think shark bite capital of the world) and Cocoa are most popular.
  • Surfing in San Jose del Cabo, fun stuff. I need to go somewhere surfing bad.

check out surfline.com.
    as far as N.C. goes I've only been to cape hatteras ,wrightsville beach and masonboro inlet
    I have caught Florida really good.But you have to go in the fall or spring. Summer is totally flat,but you might get some wind chop here and there.
    New Smyrna
    Spanish House
    The poles ( mayport ) and the N. jetty
    Blow hole (St. Augustine )
    There sre some really good breaks in south Fla like Sebastin Inlet (get's very crowded especially first peak)
    Reef Road
    R.C.'s
    These are just a few of the places I've been,but there are many, many breaks in Fla. I think there is a book out called surfing Florida.But if you got the time and money go to Costa Rica,or the south pacific for some real surf. It just depends on what time of the year it is. The atlantic in most cases is a joke compared to the pacific ocean,but don't get me wrong there are some places that go off,but they just are'nt consistant like the pacific or indian ocean.
    ;)
  • booomm11 wrote:
    Surfing in San Jose del Cabo, fun stuff. I need to go somewhere surfing bad.

Out of all the places in the world to surf, you wanna make a trip to the East Coast??? you would wanna come in August-September during hurricane season. Cape Hatteras is home to the best waves on the EC, a place called S Turns is an awesome wave. Don't know much about Florida personally, but it definitely does break. Beaches like Juno, New Symrna(I think shark bite capital of the world) and Cocoa are most popular.

I'm stuck in Kentucky. I'm trying to find somewhere close and inexpensive. I can only afford one decent trip per year, Mexico once and San Diego twice so far. Hopefully I can go somewhere nice this coming year again. I just miss it and want to go as much as I can and keep it affordable. Thanks for all the help, cause i'll prolly hit outer banks next year.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Go to costa rica it's cheaper and you will score much better waves.
    left work, heading down OC now!
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I do not know how to surf, but my dream is to move near an ocean and start taking surfing lessons. My husband thinks its crazy but it's what I want to do! I keep hoping someday soon!!!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalina wrote:
    I do not know how to surf, but my dream is to move near an ocean and start taking surfing lessons. My husband thinks its crazy but it's what I want to do! I keep hoping someday soon!!!

I love the ocean. Last year I told a friend I was going to go to Australia and learn to surf and they laughed...but now I think I really do want to do it. Or I guess Tofino in BC would be closer but Australia sounds nicer :D

You should do it!!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    booomm11 wrote:

i meant to post this for you.....fucking nuts!!!!!!!!!!
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    booomm11 wrote:

ha, for real?
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    booomm11 wrote:
    booomm11 wrote:

ha, for real?

i only have a 30 sec clip of him on a wave....this link isn't loading for me...will check it out later

crazy fucker
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

i only have a 30 sec clip of him on a wave....this link isn't loading for me...will check it out later

crazy fucker

oh this link has him eatin it