Options

When the music's over....

2»

Comments

• Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    acutejam wrote:
    Yeah if we get off topic this'll end up in AMT where SCB started one ... again.

:rolleyes:
    acutejam wrote:
    But huh, ya got me with "Even Flow" is political. Or Garden. You got some references of the artist sayin as such, or is that ya'lls interpretation? Don't mind interpretation, Ansel Adams: there's two people in every photo, the photographer, and the viewer.

I mean, yeah, I see Even Flow is about a homeless dude, so "the homeless" is political? They're taking a stance in that song? I don't get it.

I think it's much much more about the emotions of homelessness, a state of mind that can lead to such and so forth -- as for it being a political rallying cry, dunno...

But, "I'm open...."

As for the polygamist comment ... LMAO! THat's why I read these threads!

Homelessness is a social issue. Some people hold the belief that we should have compassion for the homeless and possibly help them overcome their situation. There are others who feel that if people are homeless it's because they're lazy fucks who should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, get a job, and stop looking for handouts. Pearl Jam took the former stance in Evenflow, at least regarding the compassion part.
  • Options
    When the music's over, Turn out the lights!
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    im sure mccain is very happy your a fan

i wonder what music kevin rudd likes??? i suppose since he's the prime minister of australia its my duty as a citizen of this great nation to find out and listen accordingly
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    My love of Pearl Jam music is disappearing. It pains me to say this. I've listened to Pearl Jam since I think 1993.

I find myself disagreeing with there politics completely.

I don't think Bush is the Devil. I am voting for McCain. I do believe marriage should be between a man and women.

In the beginning it was about the music. Now everything has become so political. I believe they have become a political band. I don't know. But we've grown apart.

I'm not throwing away my Pearl Jam cds. I don't hate the band or there politics. I do believe they have become cheerleaders for the far left. And it's not like the far right is any better.

I feel I’m not qualified or I don't fit the profile to be a pearl jam fan. I don't know.

I am removing the website from my favorites. I doubt if I by any more PJ cds. I'm just not into that style of music anymore.

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye

you can replace "the pit" with a webpage more your style... http://dickcheneyfanclub.org/index.html

and let me correct you for the record, bush IS the devil.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    When the music's over, Turn out the lights!

I thought this was a Doors topic before I clicked into it lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    I do believe they have become cheerleaders for the far left. And it's not like the far right is any better.

There is no right and left. There is right and wrong. The past 8 years have been wrong.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    My love of Pearl Jam music is disappearing. It pains me to say this. I've listened to Pearl Jam since I think 1993.

I find myself disagreeing with there politics completely.

I don't think Bush is the Devil. I am voting for McCain. I do believe marriage should be between a man and women.

In the beginning it was about the music. Now everything has become so political. I believe they have become a political band. I don't know. But we've grown apart.

I'm not throwing away my Pearl Jam cds. I don't hate the band or there politics. I do believe they have become cheerleaders for the far left. And it's not like the far right is any better.

I feel I’m not qualified or I don't fit the profile to be a pearl jam fan. I don't know.

I am removing the website from my favorites. I doubt if I by any more PJ cds. I'm just not into that style of music anymore.

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye

Am I missing something?
    Hasn't Pearl Jam always been Political?
  • Options
    (Ok) wrote:
    you can replace "the pit" with a webpage more your style... http://dickcheneyfanclub.org/index.html

and let me correct you for the record, bush IS the devil.
    That website gave me a good hard chuckle. :D
    Nathan
  • Options
    sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    There's always the music, if you are, in fact, a true fan of it.
    I love Tool. Love the music. Saw the band in Rolling Stone years ago. I got a little creaped out. I think the lead singer was in a bra.
    I hate when people dress up like halloween and play music.. blah, blah, blah. I have never seen Tool live. Sometimes to my regret. But my point is, I still listen to their records all the time. For me, it's their music.
    It's all that really matters for me, anyhow.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    You know what I don't understand. Why people find it necessary to announce they are no longer fans. Why go through the effort? Just leave. It's as simple as that. Another thing I don't understand is why people let their politics affect their taste in entertainment. For instance, I'm a conservative, but if I allowed my political beliefs to determine what I liked, I'd be a Toby Keith fan (God forbid).

Bottom line: just leave. That is all you need to do.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    it took you two minutes to read that post?

you crack me up!

i do agree with your earlier post. it does seem like the political stuff is more predominant now.
    maybe the band feels they are on a mission
    a mission......from GOD!
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Repeat after me, kids:

PEARL JAM HAS ALWAYS BEEN POLITICAL. Ever since the very beginning.

Very good. You may now have a cookie.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
    time for me to sign off...

but will be back a few hours from now after catching up some sleep...
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
  • Options
    JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    dangerboy wrote:
    ok, then, will y'all admit that the music itself has gotten more political over the years? most of the first 5 albums were more about human interactive relationships than politics, imho....

Human interaction and relationships that are more consistent with the themes surrounding social justice causes and economic inequality. The Album ten has songs about guns, mental health, the environment, homelessness. And that's just one album.

You just weren't listening closely enough.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • Options
    let the door knob hit ya where the dog should'a bit ya!!
  • Options
    sagapo1 wrote:
    There's always the music, if you are, in fact, a true fan of it.
    I love Tool. Love the music. Saw the band in Rolling Stone years ago. I got a little creaped out. I think the lead singer was in a bra.
    I hate when people dress up like halloween and play music.. blah, blah, blah. I have never seen Tool live. Sometimes to my regret. But my point is, I still listen to their records all the time. For me, it's their music.
    It's all that really matters for me, anyhow.

If you get a chance to see them, I suggest it.

Maynard is a couple fries short of a Happy Meal, though.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    You know what I don't understand. Why people find it necessary to announce they are no longer fans. Why go through the effort? Just leave. It's as simple as that. Another thing I don't understand is why people let their politics affect their taste in entertainment. For instance, I'm a conservative, but if I allowed my political beliefs to determine what I liked, I'd be a Toby Keith fan (God forbid).

Bottom line: just leave. That is all you need to do.

It's just a cry for attention, plain and simple.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Joanne wrote:
    Human interaction and relationships that are more consistent with the themes surrounding social justice causes and economic inequality. The Album ten has songs about guns, mental health, the environment, homelessness. And that's just one album.

You just weren't listening closely enough.

yeah i was listening. let me ask you some stuff. (i know you may not have said these songs were political, but they were referenced earlier in the thread as being political). i am interested in how others view this stuff, i guess...

even flow. ok homelessness. but it's more a description of a particular homeless individual's circumstance. i suppose you cold argue that the "legal halls of shame" line, is maybe political, but not very overt. these lyrics describe his circumstance, but don't directly indicate a political position or commentary. sure, there's his lack of education, his disillusionment with religion, his possibly false hope that things will change, and even the dismissive "whispering hands" of society in general...but where's the overt political commentary? a valid description of the condition of a certain segment of society is not necessarily a political one, nor is wanting everyone to succeed necessarily the property of one political slant or another.

garden. ok, i can see where the commentary about "man's willingness to go to war" can be interpreted from this. but that's humanity, not politics. haven't wars been started and supported by people of all political ilks? again, not the property of one political party or another, imho

why go is about mental illness. how is that political? even if you were to make a leap that mental illness is a political issue, how is it addressed in this song?

porch. i suppose one could argue that there is some political content here, but to me it seems more to be a statement of independance, of not just accepting the status quo. that could be attributed to anyone finding themselves in life, not of any particular political leaning...

deep. seems to me to be about drug addiction and thoughts of suicide. where's the politics?

release. self-realization and independence. politics?

once. is this about guns, or insanity? even if you say it's about guns, how is it political?

oceans? alive?

and i guess jeremy. ok, there's a gun. and there's insanity. but where's the political commentary? seems to be more the recounting of an event, and maybe some veiled commentary about the people in the life of this individual who did not treat him properly. but again, where's the overt political commentary?

what song on ten is about the environment? oceans? not exactly. seems to be about being seperated from someone you love...

what song on ten is about guns? a gun appears in a couple of them, but how are they spoken about politically?

to me, these songs seem overtly about realtionships. love. self-realization. a young person trying to find their way in life, discovering their own ideas. politics in any of these songs would have to be based on interpretation of vague metaphor, as opposed to outright statement, wouldn't they?

now, vs, i'll give you wma, glorified g. even dissident. but leash? it's about the same girl as in why go. daugher? child abuse, but is that political issue? does one party favor it, and one not? blood? ed's view of the media's treatment of him. not political.

just my opinions, of course

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    I still, and always will, love Michael Jackson's music.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    rupy017rupy017 Posts: 249
    What? U either like the music or you don't. Why let the band's political views turn you off to their music? Eddie backed Obama. I chose to vote for Ron Santo. Now I can't listen to PJ anymore?
    Come on dude! Lighten up!!