Options

When the music's over....

surfranger32surfranger32 Posts: 1
edited November 2008 in The Porch
My love of Pearl Jam music is disappearing. It pains me to say this. I've listened to Pearl Jam since I think 1993.

I find myself disagreeing with there politics completely.

I don't think Bush is the Devil. I am voting for McCain. I do believe marriage should be between a man and women.

In the beginning it was about the music. Now everything has become so political. I believe they have become a political band. I don't know. But we've grown apart.

I'm not throwing away my Pearl Jam cds. I don't hate the band or there politics. I do believe they have become cheerleaders for the far left. And it's not like the far right is any better.

I feel I’m not qualified or I don't fit the profile to be a pearl jam fan. I don't know.

I am removing the website from my favorites. I doubt if I by any more PJ cds. I'm just not into that style of music anymore.

I'm signing out.
Goodbye
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bye!
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    I do believe marriage should be between a man and women.

goddamn polygamists
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    McJuicy wrote:
    goddamn polygamists

Priceless :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    My love of Pearl Jam music is disappearing. It pains me to say this. I've listened to Pearl Jam since I think 1993.

I don't think Bush is the Devil. I am voting for McCain. I do believe marriage should be between a man and women.

In the beginning it was about the music. Now everything has become so political. I believe they have become a political band. I don't know. But we've grown apart.

I'm not throwing away my Pearl Jam cds. I don't hate the band or there politics. I do believe they have become cheerleaders for the far left. And it's not like the far right is any better.

I feel I’m not qualified or I don't fit the profile to be a pearl jam fan. I don't know.

I am removing the website from my favorites. I doubt if I by any more PJ cds. I'm just not into that style of music anymore.

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye

Yawn...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Have a nice day now :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Looks like he signed on the pit just sign off again.
    He quit after 3 posts.
    Anyways, enjoy the New Kids on the Block Reunion Tour.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    AntreaperAntreaper Posts: 256
    edited April 2011
    edit.
    Post edited by Antreaper on
    "It's as comfortable as can be. But when you're on stage playing with Neil, well -- it's one thing to be at the zoo and watch an animal pace around its cage. It's another to be in the cage with him." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    can i have your 10 club number?
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474
    They've been into politics from the beginning, would you rather them be cheerleaders for failed policies? Lets face it buddy the country is always gonna be 50/50 split between lefties and righties....if u have any political opinion's your gonna piss some people off

Why not just fade away...lots of people post this type shit before they leave, you really want people to talk u out of it, right?

Total attention grab

see ya

Oh Yeah your not gonna buy their new record.....RIIIIIIIIGHT
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    To be a fan people don't need to agree 100% or 10%, is about the music, beyond politics, the band support many non political organizations, i'm sure a lot of fans back different world views but they stick together as fellow fans because they (we) found something more profound than just the political views, i can disagree with friend and keep the friendship in a good place.

Well keep you world view in black and white if you feel safer that way.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    ok, then, will y'all admit that the music itself has gotten more political over the years? most of the first 5 albums were more about human interactive relationships than politics, imho....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    So....you had to sign up to sign off?

Maybe you should have listened to the lyrics back in 93'...it may have ocurred to you sooner that they speak aloud about left wing politics.

Hellooooooooo!

Bye bye.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    pearl jam voted with bush 90% of the time :p:D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474
    dangerboy wrote:
    ok, then, will y'all admit that the music itself has gotten more political over the years? most of the first 5 albums were more about human interactive relationships than politics, imho....

True dat...no songs like wws back then. Music is Music.Its how the total package makes you feel, not just a lyric here and there. I still listen to some hip-hop(not as much) I dont like the whole treatin ladies like ho's and guns and violence talk...but if it has a good beat, I dont give it a second thought

I know plenty of older people around me who like country music, and they lean liberal.Seems most country music artists support republican politics no matter how damaging it is to our country as a whole.The people I know could give a shit what these country singers say...they still like the music...thats a another issue for another time :D

Can't make everyone happy
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    dangerboy wrote:

More...yes I agree with that. But......

Ten & Ten B-sides:
    Even Flow has never rang more true then right now.
    Garden = man's overzelousness to go to war.
    Porch...he wrote pro-choice on his arm for god sakes
    YLB is about a soldier in Dessert Storm

Vs:
    Glorified G
    w.m.a
    Dissident
    leash

Need I say more...it's been there since day one. They have been politically active from the very start.

They have an x-mas single that's politcal from 1992...Let me sleep. Now that's a friggin political band.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye

Well, reading that post is 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Options
    More...yes I agree with that. But......

Ten & Ten B-sides:
    Even Flow has never rang more true then right now.
    Garden = man's overzelousness to go to war.
    Porch...he wrote pro-choice on his arm for god sakes
    YLB is about a soldier in Dessert Storm

Vs:
    Glorified G
    w.m.a
    Dissident
    leash

Need I say more...it's been there since day one. They have been politically active from the very start.

They have an x-mas single that's politcal from 1992...Let me sleep. Now that's a friggin political band.

yeah, i didn't mean that it didn't exist...i guess it just seems more overt to me these days, that's all. i'm not in the same category as the OP. just saying i prefer less political songs. from anybody, not just pj....

everybody's different. that's what makes the world go round

• Options
    Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye

Pearl Jam does not approve of this message
  • Options
    more Pearl Jam for us, then!
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    ummmmmm, surfranger.

first, i don't understand why you think they not 'about the music' anymore. it seems clear to me that they have the same passion for music that they've always had.

and i know this has already been said, but since the beginning, the band (and especially Eddie) has been very outspoken about their liberal politics. many of the lyrics on Ten and Vs were political - Even Flow, Why Go, Garden, Yellow Ledbetter, Glorified G, W.M.A., Dissident... i mean, what band were you listening to back then??? it doesn't sound like it was Pearl Jam.
  • Options

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye
    You're OLD like mcaine bush and cheney
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    Corey Lynn wrote:
    Well, reading that post is 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

it took you two minutes to read that post?

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I believe this person only registered here as a troll.

As for this left vs right, I hate it, to me its right vs wrong.
    Politics shouldn't be like a team you choose (left vs right) rather right vs wrong (no pun intended).
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Each to their own, I guess.
    I see you haven't cancelled your username/membership here ;)
    Ciao! :D
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye
    You got it all wrong bro'.....Dick Cheney is the fucking Devil! ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

I'm signing out.
    Goodbye
    oh geez. Here we go again... get off your computer and get some fresh air. Your going to loose hair over something really stupid. In case you haven't realized, they've always been very political. Take it for what it is and don't waste time worrying about it.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Funny... I just started this thread over on the Moving Train today:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=307750
  • Options
    I DON'T believe marriage should be allowed only between a man and a woman. I do agree with Pearl Jam's stance.

Maybe i should quit the boards too. Dammit. I'll sell my Eddie Vedder autograph on ebay.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    LongRd. wrote:
    You got it all wrong bro'.....Dick Cheney is the fucking Devil! ;)

no no... cheneys the devils hand maiden. :D

not that i believe in marriage but if thats what floats your boat then it should be between two people who love each other. 1 dick, 2 dicks, no dicks... it shouldnt matter. lets face it the heteros havent exactly exhibited a lasting endorsement for its exclusivity, now have they? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Yeah if we get off topic this'll end up in AMT where SCB started one ... again.

But huh, ya got me with "Even Flow" is political. Or Garden. You got some references of the artist sayin as such, or is that ya'lls interpretation? Don't mind interpretation, Ansel Adams: there's two people in every photo, the photographer, and the viewer.

I mean, yeah, I see Even Flow is about a homeless dude, so "the homeless" is political? They're taking a stance in that song? I don't get it.

I think it's much much more about the emotions of homelessness, a state of mind that can lead to such and so forth -- as for it being a political rallying cry, dunno...

But, "I'm open...."

As for the polygamist comment ... LMAO! THat's why I read these threads!
    [sic] happens