fave tomato sauce

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
love, love, love pasta and sauce! so simple, yet so delicious!
i LOVE when my husband makes his own fresh sauce, and given that our tomatoes are finally ripening, some sauce will be made. that said, tried numerous jarred sauces, to find a yummy alternative when home-made is not available. arrabbiata sauce is by far my fave, in restaurants and at home....and coppolla winery has THE best jarred arrabbiata sauce i have ever tasted!

http://store.franciscoppolawinery.com/s ... oducts.asp

"Arrabbiata means angry, and that refers to the fact that this is a spicy sauce. Also it features garlic unlike our Pomodoro-Basilico sauce, and parsley rather than basil. I recommend adding more freshly chopped parsley on this one." Francis Coppola

Net weight 26 oz.
Ingredients: Organic tomatoes, organic garlic, extra virgin olive oil, parsley, sea salt, peppers, herbs, red wine and vitamin E (soy).

all organic and sooooo GOOD!
just received a shipment of wine and sauce yesterday...guess what we're having for dinner tonight? ;)

what's your fave?

btw - their hot sauce trio is pretty damn good too.

edit - well crap, idk why the links don't bring you to the exact product.... :evil:
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    My dad's :D

I haven't had his sauce in about 20 years, but it was the best. Yum yum.

I like Bove's marinara sauce. I saw a throwdown challenge with Bobby Flay on the Food Network, and he took on Bove's lasagna. I don't like pieces of tomato skin in the sauce, and it has the least, and it still tastes pretty good.

Maybe that's why I'm so down. I haven't had spaghetti in a couple months;) Man, I used to eat it 7 days/week. . .
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    mmm...that sounds good, think I will get a base of pasta tonight before heading out to KOL
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    decides2dream, wow i was just looking for a good fresh pasta sauce recipe made with real tomatoes and was thinking about asking if anyone here has a good recipe. do you think your hubby would be willing to share his recipe. we got tons of ripe tomatoes and would love to make fresh pasta sauce.
    thanks!
    Here's a good place to start, but it's from memory of a while ago:

1. blanch and skin tomatoes
    2. Put in blender to desired consistency
    3. Chop an onion or two
    4. Saute onion in big pot with olive oil
    5. add blended tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. If you skinned and blended enough tomatoes to fill near the top of the pot add two cans of tomato paste.
    6. Add a couple bay leaves, which you will take out once the cooking is done.
    7. Add salt and pepper until it looks good to you
    8. Add a little baking soda to decrease acidity
    9. Cook for at least 2 hours until it tastes good
    10. Roast or cook some beef if you like a meat sauce, and add the meat for flavor for a couple hours. Take meat out, put it on fresh baked bread, feed it to your kids, and watch them smile a mile wide. Well, that's what happened with me. OMG! That tasted good.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    My grandma's. The recipe comes from my great grandmother...our family is Italian...so the further back you go, the more authentic it gets. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Here's a good place to start, but it's from memory of a while ago:

1. blanch and skin tomatoes
    2. Put in blender to desired consistency
    3. Chop an onion or two
    4. Saute onion in big pot with olive oil
    5. add blended tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. If you skinned and blended enough tomatoes to fill near the top of the pot add two cans of tomato paste.
    6. Add a couple bay leaves, which you will take out once the cooking is done.
    7. Add salt and pepper until it looks good to you
    8. Add a little baking soda to decrease acidity
    9. Cook for at least 2 hours until it tastes good
    10. Roast or cook some beef if you like a meat sauce, and add the meat for flavor for a couple hours. Take meat out, put it on fresh baked bread, feed it to your kids, and watch them smile a mile wide. Well, that's what happened with me. OMG! That tasted good.

trying to figure out #5.....so do you add 3 cans all together (or am i dumb??--don't answer) :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    :D My mama's
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    thanks ms haiku!!

c'mon people post your recipes.
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    From the store....Prego!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    From the store....Prego!

Blasphemy!

That stuff is awful. :P
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    Lizard wrote:
    trying to figure out #5.....so do you add 3 cans all together (or am i dumb??--don't answer) :D
    #5 is if you used whole tomatoes that were not from cans. It would be about 2 blender containers worth of blended tomatoes that were previously blanched and skinned. Seeded is probably a good idea as the seeds don't add much. If you use tomatoes from cans, and we did growing up about 65% of the time, I would say about 4 cans of whole skinned tomatoes to 2 cans of tomato paste.
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    libragirl wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    From the store....Prego!

Blasphemy!

That stuff is awful. :P

Nooo...Ragu is AWFUL!!!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    #5 is if you used whole tomatoes that were not from cans. It would be about 2 blender containers worth of blended tomatoes that were previously blanched and skinned. Seeded is probably a good idea as the seeds don't add much. If you use tomatoes from cans, and we did growing up about 65% of the time, I would say about 4 cans of whole skinned tomatoes to 2 cans of tomato paste.

Thx, Ms. Haiku.
    I really want to try this. Usually make own sauce just using paste but never thought of blending tomatoes or using a bay leaf.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    decides2dream, wow i was just looking for a good fresh pasta sauce recipe made with real tomatoes and was thinking about asking if anyone here has a good recipe. do you think your hubby would be willing to share his recipe. we got tons of ripe tomatoes and would love to make fresh pasta sauce.
    thanks!

hey there!

i actually asked my husband last night for his recipe...and he couldn't find it. :oops:
    he went online and DLed an arrabbiata recipe, so he may try that this year, but what ms. haiku posted above is the basic outline for making sauce. definitely blanch the tomatoes to get rid of the skins and also add tomato paste. we add crushed red pepper, olive oil, basil, garlic!, onions, sometimes parsley, usually an habenaro (but only one!).....as we like it spicy! his sauce last season was sooooo AWESOME, his best batch yet!

we've got a nice batch of tomatoes he just froze, waiting on more in the garden, so he can make one big batch at once. YUMMM.

and yes, had the mamarella arrabbiata sauce thru the coppolla site for dinner last night and it was delish! the closest to homemade i have ever tasted, gorgeous and generous garlic slices in it, and 100% organic. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

OMG! You're making me drool D2D. :D

The smell of tomato sauce cooking when I walk through the door - is there a more heavenly welcome?
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

The smell of tomato sauce cooking when I walk through the door - is there a more heavenly welcome?

mmmmm...oh yes, fantastico! :D

i forgot to add, we use almost all home-grown produce for the sauce, outside of the tomato paste. we grow roma tomatoes only - think they taste better/sweeter - and we add our own fresh basil, parsley and habaneros from our garden. the olive oil, garlic and onions, all store bought. i think the fresh ingredients make a big difference, even if you are canning them for later use. just imo.

i can't wait until he starts making his sauce. 8-)
    funny thing too, i am a first generation italian-american (my dad was born in sicily)....tho my mother's side, half northern-italian, half-irish....tho my mom did make her own sauce. i don't cook a lick. whereas my hubby, a german/dutch descendant....makes the BEST sauce! he's just an awesome, amazing cook.....yummmmyyyyyy....... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Ms. Haiku wrote:

mmmmm...oh yes, fantastico! :D

i forgot to add, we use almost all home-grown produce for the sauce, outside of the tomato paste. we grow roma tomatoes only - think they taste better/sweeter - and we add our own fresh basil, parsley and habaneros from our garden. the olive oil, garlic and onions, all store bought. i think the fresh ingredients make a big difference, even if you are canning them for later use. just imo.

i can't wait until he starts making his sauce. 8-)
    funny thing too, i am a first generation italian-american (my dad was born in sicily)....tho my mother's side, half northern-italian, half-irish....tho my mom did make her own sauce. i don't cook a lick. whereas my hubby, a german/dutch descendant....makes the BEST sauce! he's just an awesome, amazing cook.....yummmmyyyyyy....... :mrgreen:
    I was reading a part of Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, and she referenced how many different types of tomatoes she grew. That must be incredible - seeing a row after row of different shades of red, each with it's own flavor, to create distinct sauces. I truly flew to cloud 9 thinking about those rows of red.
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Expensive as hell....but William Sonoma 4 Cheese sauce
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    I have yet to find any sauce from a jar that tastes as good as making it yourself
    D2D-thats sounds delish, all home grown ingredients. You should do onions and garlic as well!

some ravioli shops make decent sauce as do some gourmet markets, but its so freaking easy to make and everyone should keep canned san marzano tomatoes in their kitchen.

Now, Sunday gravy or a good bolognese is a whole other conversation.
    Get_Right wrote:
    I have yet to find any sauce from a jar that tastes as good as making it yourself
    D2D-thats sounds delish, all home grown ingredients. You should do onions and garlic as well!

some ravioli shops make decent sauce as do some gourmet markets, but its so freaking easy to make and everyone should keep canned san marzano tomatoes in their kitchen.

I think some of the best memories are through taste. For instance, I had the taste memory of bolognese sauce in my mouth at sparks of time yesterday. I went to a place where on paper the food is good, but the execution isn't great. I hoped the bolognese sauce would be good enough. It truly filled a soul hole. I really needed it. It's like I needed it all year. Oddly enough that simple spaghetti meal was probably one of the best things that happened to me this year.
    Get_Right wrote:

perhaps next year, idk. our veggie beds are pretty chock-full with the crops we grow annually, maybe we'll add some pots. either way, the sauce kicks ass.

and seriously, the sauce i mention in the OP....if i didn't tell you it came from a jar, i honestly don't think you'd be able to tell. it just looks and tastes so FRESH, and yea....it's so yummy.

sometimes you just don't have any more homemade left on hand and damnnit...you want pasta! i LOVE pasta, probably my most fave meal, so yea.....i need sauce always at the ready. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

.....i need sauce always at the ready. :mrgreen:
    instant sauce for an instant world.
    We always have a few cans of san marzanos and a basil plant around for that very reason. Delicious sauce ALMOST at the ready. ;):mrgreen: I dunno jarred sauces just turn me off, especially ones that are branded by a film director, even though it is one with Italian roots. What Italian for C'est la vie? :D
    Get_Right wrote:

.....i need sauce always at the ready. :mrgreen:
    instant sauce for an instant world.
    We always have a few cans of san marzanos and a basil plant around for that very reason. Delicious sauce ALMOST at the ready. ;):mrgreen: I dunno jarred sauces just turn me off, especially ones that are branded by a film director, even though it is one with Italian roots. What Italian for C'est la vie? :D

and that's my point - you're a snob. ;)
    but it's ok...i love ya anyway....and you know it, too.....the snob, and the love, part. :D
    so i take it you don't like any of his wines either eh? tis a shame, some of them are VERY good. especially his malbec. delicious.

btw - i don't cook, at all....so you bet...i like a jar at the ready. even hubby's sauce, either gets frozen or jarred for future use. you also have a stay-at-home wife, we are two working people. it's good to be able to get dinner on the table after work and not end up eating at 9 pm. it's a time-constrained world is what it is...and balancing things out to get the most enjoyment of your time. i rather be sitting AT the table, eating, drinking and conversing on my weeknights, rather than waiting for sauce to be made.

and idk what c'est la vie is in italian. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

but it's ok...i love ya anyway....and you know it, too.....the snob, and the love, part. :D
    so i take it you don't like any of his wines either eh? tis a shame, some of them are VERY good. especially his malbec. delicious.
    Actually, I dont really drink wine. Its beneath me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Really, Im not really into wine. Once in a blue moon at a fine restaurant, but rarely at home. Im more of a beer, sake and scotch guy.

I guess I am kind of a food snob. I have called that before. And I hear you on the late night thing. Cooking I dont mind but the 10 pm clean up sucks.
    I keep french bread pizzas around for those acts of desperation. But of course, only stouffers deluxe. ;)
    Thanks for the love, you know its mutual! :mrgreen:
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Creamy vodka sauce..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Creamy vodka sauce..

ick..never liked vodka sauce. :P
    Get_Right wrote:

Actually, I dont really drink wine. Its beneath me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Really, Im not really into wine. Once in a blue moon at a fine restaurant, but rarely at home. Im more of a beer, sake and scotch guy.

I guess I am kind of a food snob. I have called that before. And I hear you on the late night thing. Cooking I dont mind but the 10 pm clean up sucks.
    I keep french bread pizzas around for those acts of desperation. But of course, only stouffers deluxe. ;)
    Thanks for the love, you know its mutual! :mrgreen:

well, his wines ARe available in MANY restaurants. and anyway, that wasn't my point...and you knew that too. ;)

and, i am sure you have :D...and actually, i thought you've admitted much the same yourself. i was merely pointing out that if unknown to you, i bet you would like this sauce and be none the wiser. i think too often we all at times get hung up on 'i don't like ______' without really giving a fair shake. and besides, said as much...homemade is always the best, but yea.....life balance.

and hey, at least we agree on frozen pizza! that's all we buy too! :D
    tho of course, prefer delivery..... 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

libragirl wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    Creamy vodka sauce..

What's wrong with you? Oh man, I can drink that stuff....nothing beats a nice penne alla vodka with peas, prosciutto/pancetta/sausage..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    libragirl wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    Creamy vodka sauce..

What's wrong with you? Oh man, I can drink that stuff....nothing beats a nice penne alla vodka with peas, prosciutto/pancetta/sausage..

not a fave of mine either. i can eat it, and have, but only when there is "nothing else" at the dinner, or the menu, etc. my first choices is always arrabbiata....spicy, spicy deliciousness! my bro-in-law makes a damn fine filetto sauce with proscuitto that is different and yummm. we mostly stick with various forms of spicy tomato, tho hubby occasionally likes to make a meat sauce, and again...not really my thing.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

not a fave of mine either. i can eat it, and have, but only when there is "nothing else" at the dinner, or the menu, etc. my first choices is always arrabbiata....spicy, spicy deliciousness! my bro-in-law makes a damn fine filetto sauce with proscuitto that is different and yummm. we mostly stick with various forms of spicy tomato, tho hubby occasionally likes to make a meat sauce, and again...not really my thing.

Yeah, I probably should experiment more, especially living in the city with all the great Italian restaurants....but for some reason, when push comes to shove, I always end up ordering the vodka sauce..I'm a pussy...this restaurant across the street makes a killer bow-tie salmon farfalle in creamy vodka sauce with peas..fuck, I'm hungry..spicy sounds interesting..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'