Options

pearl jam IS playing portland

Comments

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089

Well actually I believe Matt Cord mentioned it was a big Pearl Jam announcement which is why he is coming in Monday morning (he didnt mention a "show") and the Spectrum has as their status on Twitter "Big show announcement on Monday".... so adding all that up together I think it pretty much confirmed the Philly show/shows are being announced Monday and Im hoping Portland comes in with that announcement so I can start booking flights and hotels and stuff :D
    My prediction is that 5 shows will be announced on Monday: Philly 3, Vancouver, Portland, Vegas and one other (Missoula?, Boise?, Denver?, SLC?)...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Freddy ArheeharFreddy Arheehar San Diego Posts: 525
    If they play at the same arena as the trailblazers then the Friday before Seattle is out, there is a circus on that night. The Killers are playing Thursday 24th but Friday 25th and Saturday 26th are open....

Edit: There are actually multiple venues at this joint so its possible to have 2 shows on the same night so maybe the Friday before Seattle is not out?
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    BeerBaron wrote:
    My prediction is that 5 shows will be announced on Monday: Philly 3, Vancouver, Portland, Vegas and one other (Missoula?, Boise?, Denver?, SLC?)...
    I agree- but I think the 5th is another Vancouver show- along with Philly 3, Van, Portland, and Vegas
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    anakin_pdxanakin_pdx Posts: 389
    If they play at the same arena as the trailblazers then the Friday before Seattle is out, there is a circus on that night. The Killers are playing Thursday 24th but Friday 25th and Saturday 26th are open....

Edit: There are actually multiple venues at this joint so its possible to have 2 shows on the same night so maybe the Friday before Seattle is not out?

The other venue is the Memorial Coliseum. It's the old home of the Blazers, and it's a dump. Would only hold about 10,000 for a concert. The Rose Garden would hold about 18,000 and is great acoustically. They've never played the Coliseum, and they've done the Rose Garden twice, so I can't imagine them playing it now.

They could possibly do another smaller venue like in 2006 when we had the CCFA benefit show at the Alrene Schnitzer Concert hall (2,900 capacity), but I doubt it. Also I checked, and the Schnitz only has open dates either the night before or after Seattle, and they won't play 3 nights in a row.
  • Options
    Freddy ArheeharFreddy Arheehar San Diego Posts: 525
    anakin_pdx wrote:

The other venue is the Memorial Coliseum. It's the old home of the Blazers, and it's a dump. Would only hold about 10,000 for a concert. The Rose Garden would hold about 18,000 and is great acoustically. They've never played the Coliseum, and they've done the Rose Garden twice, so I can't imagine them playing it now.

They could possibly do another smaller venue like in 2006 when we had the CCFA benefit show at the Alrene Schnitzer Concert hall (2,900 capacity), but I doubt it. Also I checked, and the Schnitz only has open dates either the night before or after Seattle, and they won't play 3 nights in a row.

The Circus is in the Rose Garden on the Friday night (plus other nights)
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,890
    I thought someone said the Portland announcement was happening today.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 295
    LukinFan wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I agree- but I think the 5th is another Vancouver show- along with Philly 3, Van, Portland, and Vegas

I'm pretty sure they will only play one show in Vancouver if that's what the announcement is. The two venues they would play would be either GM Place or the Pacific Coliseum, and GM Place is booked for Wednesday and Thursday, and the Pacific Coliseum is booked on Friday.

For what it's worth, the local radion station here (99.3 CFOX), has been beating the drum HARD all weekend about this concert announcement tomorrow morning.

Starting to look pretty good...
    09/04/93 * 07/19/98 * 11/05/00 * 05/30/03 * 09/02/05 * 09/04/05 * 09/05/05 * 09/07/05 * 07/21/06 * 07/22/06 * 04/02/08 (eV) * 04/03/08 (eV) * 09/21/09 * 09/22/09 * 09/25/09 * 07/15/11 (eV) * 09/25/11 * 12/04/13 * 08/10/18 * 05/04/24 * 05/06/24
  • Options
    anakin_pdx wrote:

The Circus is in the Rose Garden on the Friday night (plus other nights)

I'm just saying that the 25th or the 26th date is the far more likely than the weekend before Seattle, because the Rose Garden is open then. The weekend before like you say has the circus in town, and I can't imagine PJ playing at the Memorial Coliseum.
  • Options
    ridgefield, wa
  • Options
    is that where your source said they are playing? ridgefield? Thats sort of close to portland, but it aint portland.

If thats the case you sort of mislead us.

Ridgefield is in washington isnt it?
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    If Portland happens, I would probably have to be there. 8-)
  • Options
    is that where your source said they are playing? ridgefield? Thats sort of close to portland, but it aint portland.

Yes, WA means the State of Washington. Why would that change anything? It is still in the Vancouver/Portland region.
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    aNiMaL wrote:

what say you on a denver show tape?
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

Huh? What's your question? :?:
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

Yes, WA means the State of Washington. Why would that change anything? It is still in the Vancouver/Portland region.

Well that would change something because, if this is the place they are playing, and this is the announcement and show that the original poster was talking about, the thread is kinda misleading.

Reguardless of if its in the region, Ridgefield isnt Portland. How far is Ridgefield from Portland?

Its like those folks who say The Gorge is in Seattle, or consider The Gorge a Seattle date. The Gorge is 1.5 a half hours from Seattle. I live in Eugene. Portland is that distance from me. 1.5 hours. But I would be insane to say, the next time a band plays in Portland, to say that they are playing in Eugene. Eugene isnt Portland. And it is 1.5 hours away. Thats my point with this.

Is it a date in the northwest? Sure, but it aint Portland.

Thats like this poster, saying "I hear Pearl Jam is playing Seattle for a third night", and then him coming back and saying "george Washington". Are they in the same state, and somewhat close? Sure, but one is Seattle, one is in George.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,890
    according to Google, Portland->Ridgefield is only 25 miles.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    musicismylife78, good points.

With the exception of The Gorge Seattle debate. While obviously The Gorge is not in the Puget Sound, it is our venue. The Puget Sound residents make up the majority of the folks who attend events at The Gorge. So when PJ played the Gorge in 2005 and 2006, that was in lieu of playing Seattle.
  • Options
    Ridgefield would be the Clark County Amphitheater. It's at the south end of Ridgefield (closer to Vancouver than actual town of Ridgefield. The venue is 10 miles across the Oregon/Wash boarder and it's considered at the edge of the Portland/Metro area.

But being an outdoor venue, the end of Sept. is an unlikely date for the venue. The last date on the schedule is the 11th. By late Sept. the rain is usually back.
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    aNiMaL wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

Huh? What's your question? :?:

are we getting a denver show, taper?
  • Options
    are we getting a denver show, taper?
    I'm not a taper. I can't sit still or quiet long enough at a concert to be a taper. :oops:

And I haven't heard anything about a Denver show.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    aNiMaL wrote:

me too. :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    anakin_pdx wrote:
    Ridgefield would be the Clark County Amphitheater. It's at the south end of Ridgefield (closer to Vancouver than actual town of Ridgefield. The venue is 10 miles across the Oregon/Wash boarder and it's considered at the edge of the Portland/Metro area.

But being an outdoor venue, the end of Sept. is an unlikely date for the venue. The last date on the schedule is the 11th. By late Sept. the rain is usually back.

I dont know about this target poster. He was the guy who originally started up the debate about a portland date, just the other day, by saying his source said portland was happening. He said 9/26 was the date. And your point is very interesting as well. He was the one who said Ridgefield. As Ridgefield is outdoor, late september will provide one of the last shows of the year. last year Sept 21 was the last show date. Will PJ be playing 9/26 at ridgefield, most likely the last show in ridgefield of the year?
  • Options
    1. Are people really arguing about Clark County being considered a Portland area venue? Have you noticed that when bands go on amphitheater runs they play White River or The Gorge followed by Clark County? Do you think that people play Clark County to draw in fans from Southwest Washington? Honestly. Is a show at the Tweeter Center not considered a Boston show because its in Mansfield? It would only take me 2 buses to get to Clark County Amp. and I live in downtown Portland. If they play there I guarantee Ed will say something about being in "Portland". And its MUCH closer to Portland than the Gorge is to Seattle......

2. The Memorial Coliseum is NOT a dump. Thank God its not getting torn down for a baseball team that less than 1,000 people see on a nightly basis. It was known as the best sounding, loudest arena in the NBA. The Rose Garden was, in fact, built to sound like the old venue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Garde ... #Acoustics

I don't think it worked.

Why would they not play the Mem. Col. if it was open? Tool, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Death Cab, Bob Dylan and The Killers are some of the bands that either played there recently or are playing there this fall. They may want to play to a fuller house there than to empty seats in the Rose Garden like they did in 2000.

3. If they play the Rose Garden its because they were able to work out a good deal with Vulcan, because there will be a ton of empty seats. If Bruce can't sell well in the Rose Garden, no way Ed and the boys can. If they play at the Rose Garden I will not be surprised if its using the "Theater of the Clouds" setup, closing half the arena off.

Just my thoughts on the matter........
  • Options
    2. The Memorial Coliseum is NOT a dump. Thank God its not getting torn down for a baseball team that less than 1,000 people see on a nightly basis. It was known as the best sounding, loudest arena in the NBA. The Rose Garden was, in fact, built to sound like the old venue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Garde ... #Acoustics

I don't think it worked.

Why would they not play the Mem. Col. if it was open? Tool, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Death Cab, Bob Dylan and The Killers are some of the bands that either played there recently or are playing there this fall. They may want to play to a fuller house there than to empty seats in the Rose Garden like they did in 2000.

Then why are they going to have to spend $58 million to "refurbish" the venue? That's a lot of money to put into a venue that is not a dump. And none of that money is for more seating.

The acoustic panels were designed to bounce and create more noise for sporting events, and flip over and absorb sound for music events. The coliseum just bounces the noise which like you said is great for Blazer games, but not for concerts.
  • Options
    i'm just going on the information that was given to me from someone i trust very, very much. i COULD be wrong. but then again i could be right. i'm not willing to tell who or where i got the information from because i don't want it to get back to this person and cause me to lose any of the awesome benefits they provide. and believe me when i say that those benefits are huge.
  • Options
    did i miss a tweet?
  • Options
    The Rose Garden will need a similar amount of money sometime in the next five years, does that make it a dump too? Look at any arena in any city and you'll see that this kind of thing is cyclical. What is the more sustainable thing - tearing it down (which by the way, isn't free either) or fixing it and changing the terms of the deal that Vulcan entertainment has with the city (the real reason why more events aren't booked there)? Memorial Coliseum is a one of a kind arena.......Probably not the kind of place you'd want to see classical music in but GREAT for a rock show if configured right.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Too bad this Ridgefield rumor isnt the Edgefield instead. Though that place is much to tiny for a Pearl Jam show. It would be awesome though. I dunno we as saw that interview with Kelly Curtis where it was said the band prefers to play arenas. I'll be surprised if it isn't the Rose Garden.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,943
    eagerly awaiting this vancouver thing to be announced....several friends with friends have told me it's a go, so pretty sure the FOX will be announcing it @715am tomorrow....thank god, we need a vancouver show badly here.....been too long. im gonna buy a lot of tickets to this one, give em away to family and have spares for friends....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    i'm just going on the information that was given to me from someone i trust very, very much. i COULD be wrong. but then again i could be right. i'm not willing to tell who or where i got the information from because i don't want it to get back to this person and cause me to lose any of the awesome benefits they provide. and believe me when i say that those benefits are huge.

I believe you :D

I just hope they have the sale for tkts at least the day after the announcement :) Now I cant wait for tomorrow!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV