THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD P.J CD

2»

Comments

• UpSideDown wrote:
    Yes there is. It's called Binaural. When there are only 6 good tracks on a 13 song album, that's not a classic. But the six good ones are still better than 90% of the music recorded today.

Binaural = possibly best PJ album

Self-titled = worst PJ album

I would stay rather listen to all of them over any other group

I forgot about Self Titled. There are only 6 songs I really like on it,but the stuff I don't like I really dislike. There are songs that are downright unlistenable for me on that album. At least with Binaural, some of the stuff I dislike on the album I don't mind live, especially if it's well placed in the set. I really hate Breakherfall,(the lyrics she lost her invitation to the party on earth and all the love that she had was just wood that she burned are the worst lyrics of Ed's career) but I've seen them open with it or use it as an early set rocker and it works for me. Some of the songs usually skip on CD are better live like Of The Girl, Soon Forget or Evacuation. Of course, a few of the songs need to be heard on headphones, especially sleight of hand and of the girl. So I'm willing to agree that there are songs that don't work for me in one context but work in another. The stuff I dislike on Self Titled doesn't work for me in any context. But again, as I said before, I'd rather listen to bad PJ than most other bands.
  • I was fully satisfied by all of their albums until S/T. I think it's funny that people like S/T but find the other albums to be "generic" and "full of filler".
  • crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,380
    by crazygeo » 17 Jul 2009 17:33

every CD they have ever made are great..not one bad out of those released so far...and I don't expect a bad one ever

The modern day LED ZEPPELIN,,which NEVER made a bad CD

Some weaker than others, maybe, but all great in my opinion....

pearl jam is the best band since 1990.period
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,278
    i agree!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    crazygeo wrote:
    every CD they have ever made are great..not one bad out of those released so far...and I don't expect a bad one ever

led zep made bad cd's and so has pj... riot act sucks. s/t is little better. and led zep lost it after physical graffiti.
  • I would consider Binarual to be "bad" only on the basis that I think the songs suffer from the production. Many of the songs are great: NAIS, Grievance, Insignificance, Light Years, Rival, Sleight of Hand. But after those Europe 2000 boots hit the shelves and I heard how the songs were supposed to sound, it made it hard to listen to the album.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    Bought my first PJ cd in 1993 (VS) followed very quickly by TEN.
    Now I have been buying records since 1974 and in all this time (damn, just realised its been a fucking long time) I have never stayed with a band so long as I have with PJ with every release being just so great to these cultured ears of mine!
    Just great to be able to say LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM. :D
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    crazygeo wrote:

Exactly. Just one of the many reasons PJ is THE BEST!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • crazygeo wrote:
    by crazygeo » 17 Jul 2009 17:33

pearl jam is the best band since 1990.period
    couldnt say it better..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mach271 wrote:
    OK....i have said this before somewhere, but ill say it again...here goes....

Summer 1996 i was about 15 years old. PJ was the BIGGEST band on the planet. They had released TEN/VS and VITALOGY (best alb ever) and NO CODE was HIGHLY anticipated.

I remember that summer VERY well. I was working with my brother in law at his body shop in Coney Island Brooklyn, NY. I was literally PLANTED to the radio trying to hear some new PJ, and counting down the days on the calendar till AUG 27th.

The single was weird, and UNLIKE PJ...Before the album was released i had heard RM, SMILE, WYA,HAIL HAIL, HABIT

I thought the album was going to rock! I got the album 1 day earlier from my local record store....

WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT!

Its basically a 10 track album.....after PT the album is unlistenable.....MANKIND (who wants to listen to PJ without EV singing) IM OPEN (Filler) ATB (disgraceful lullaby song, that to this day cannot believe the band actually recorded).

This album literally forced 75% of their fanbase to take off.....Which is what PJ was shooting for....

For those of you here that werent around for the release date of this album, you just dont understand the power this band had at that point. You will never understand going back to their catalogue and listening to it...

HAD TO BE AROUND THEN!

And yes i did listen to that CD everyday.......for months.....I love this Band, but NO CODE cannot compare to the previous 3 releases or even the album that followed it (YIELD)

I had the same feeling about No Code when it came out - I was pretty disappointed. Then I loved Yield. It took me quite a few years later to go back and give No Code another chance, and I couldn't figure out what I was thinking originally! It really is an amazing album. I do think it gets kind of weak at the end, however.

Also, I don't understand what people don't like about Avocado??? Severed Hand, Gone, Come Back & Inside Job are incredible! Life Wasted, Marker, Parachutes, Unemployable & Army Reserve are solid. Wasted Reprise is a neat track. The rest, ok, kind of mediocre, but that's still pretty good.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Also, I don't understand what people don't like about Avocado??? Severed Hand, Gone, Come Back & Inside Job are incredible! Life Wasted, Marker, Parachutes, Unemployable & Army Reserve are solid. Wasted Reprise is a neat track. The rest, ok, kind of mediocre, but that's still pretty good.
    exactly
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”