How late do bars stay open in your town?

__ Posts: 6,651
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
And when do they stop serving alcohol?

Bars close at 2 AM where I live, and last call is around 1:30. They're considering allowing bars to stay open an extra hour, while not changing the time they stop serving. The idea is to help reduce DWI.

So how does it work where you live? What time do bars close & how late do they serve alcohol? Do they serve food? What the transportation situation like? Just wondering. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Pretty much the same here. When we first went to Alaska in the early 70's though it was fun because bars didn't close. I do believe they have changed that now though. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Depends on the bar here. Legally they can be open until 2am. But during the week most close at 12 or 1.

Last call can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 minutes before closing time.
  • GreekFetaGreekFeta Posts: 8
    In Greece there is no "last call", we only have to wait until the last costumer leaves... :lol: I work as a bartender and last week we were waiting until 4:30 for 1 person who came at about 4:00 to have a coffee("frape", ice coffee)!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I remember this "last call" thing the first time I went in London, it was kind of strange for me. :roll: And the funniest thing is that we went to the bar at about 1:30(typical Greek time :lol: ) and I didn't even finish my beer!
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    4am ... last call at 3:30am .... NY, baby.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Oregon - 2:30 I believe and last call at 2:00
    NERDS!
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    its 2 here. they tried to pass a law for 4am but it didn't pass :evil:
    during the nba finals on game day it was 3am but the magic never won so no one stayed out :lol:
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    long red wrote:

not really that impressive considering that in my hometown of 30,000 people in the bottom corner of Scotland we have places that are open till 4am. ;)

some places in Edinburgh & Glasgow are open till later than that.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    In Wisconsin.... last call 1:30 close at 2 during the week. Weekends last call at 2ish out by 2:30 or so. Except it all gets confusing because we use "bar time" in my city... where all the bar clocks are set 15 minutes fast.. so who really knows what time it is.
    It's probably for the best that our bars don't stay open any later, we'd all drink ourselves to death! :lol::lol:
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Like others, last call at 1:30 and closed at 2.

Can't tell you the last time I closed a bar! LOL! I'm usually home and asleep by 12:30! :cry::D

Getting old... :lol:

In college closing a bar was easy. Close the bar, grab more beer (beer was sold till 2) and drink until the sun came up! hahahaha.

Oh...those were the days!
    mca47 wrote:

In college closing a bar was easy. Close the bar, grab more beer (beer was sold till 2) and drink until the sun came up! hahahaha.

Oh...those were the days!

Oh man, in my city, they stop selling beer and liquor at 9pm.. it requires planning ahead if you want to a-bar!!
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I live in the suburbs of atlanta and my local area just changed from a 3 am close to a 2am close. Which sucks in my opinion i was used to staying out late or coming home from a game as the DD and then going to the bar across the street from my house for a few hours.

now last call is 1:30 close at 2am :(

I don't go out in atlanta often but i think they stay open till 3am and last call is 2:30.. again not sure though as i don't make it into the city much for beers
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • There's a pub in my city that stays open until 6am... They don't actually have to shut if they don't want to, they have a 24 hour license :?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    There's a pub in my city that stays open until 6am... They don't actually have to shut if they don't want to, they have a 24 hour license :?

We have bars that OPEN at six am... yay third shift...

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    There's a pub in my city that stays open until 6am... They don't actually have to shut if they don't want to, they have a 24 hour license :?

We have bars that OPEN at six am... yay third shift...

Yeah, they have that in Iowa too (where I went to school).

Weren't many bars that accommodated the 3rd shifters but there were a couple.

A couple times we'd close the bars, keep drinking until 6 when the bars would re-open! :lol:

Good times!! :D
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm assuming it's still 1:30 lc and 2am closing but i haven't closed a bar in...geez i don't know how long :shock: :lol::lol:

always found last call hilarious...everybody hurry up and get one more drink before you DRIVE home!! :shock: :lol:
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    intodeep wrote:
    I live in the suburbs of atlanta and my local area just changed from a 3 am close to a 2am close. Which sucks in my opinion i was used to staying out late or coming home from a game as the DD and then going to the bar across the street from my house for a few hours.

now last call is 1:30 close at 2am :(

I don't go out in atlanta often but i think they stay open till 3am and last call is 2:30.. again not sure though as i don't make it into the city much for beers

Why did they change it?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,924
    long red wrote:

How about......NEVER?! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    It depends on the place here. Pubs close at 11 on weekday nights, 12 or 12.30 on Saturdays and possible 10.30 on Sunday nights. Clubs are all closed at 2.30am (there used to be a few late opening ones but they all got their extended licence taken away by the Government). It made getting home much worse as now there are just thousands of people on the street who are hammered and wanna get home. Good on ye, Government!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    dunkman wrote:
    long red wrote:

not really that impressive considering that in my hometown of 30,000 people in the bottom corner of Scotland we have places that are open till 4am. ;)

some places in Edinburgh & Glasgow are open till later than that.

should we be impressed that scots like to drink so much? ;)

i don't think long red was trying to be impressive...just saying how it is, and not just for NYC but most of NY - at least around the metro area...unsure about way upstate. that said, all our bars are open until 4am, not just some....and then there are after hours bars/clubs. how they go about it, idk, but i know many do exist, particularly in the city....but i believe even on the island. none of it impressive...it just is what it is. :P

last time i closed a bar at 4 am was with a couple of jammers from this board, quite a few years ago now. also closed a bar recently down in baltimore with a couple of jammers, but not really as impressive since they closed at 2. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    In Astoria, Queens they're open until 4:30am (Certain bars remain open until about 6am and the bar management enjoys a few rounds).
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Jennytree wrote:
    It depends on the place here. Pubs close at 11 on weekday nights, 12 or 12.30 on Saturdays and possible 10.30 on Sunday nights. Clubs are all closed at 2.30am (there used to be a few late opening ones but they all got their extended licence taken away by the Government). It made getting home much worse as now there are just thousands of people on the street who are hammered and wanna get home. Good on ye, Government!

That's kinda the situtation here - with lots of drunk people flooding out of the bard with nothing to do but drive home - which is why they're thinking of changing it so bars stay open later. So would you think that's a good idea, then?
    scb wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:

That's kinda the situtation here - with lots of drunk people flooding out of the bard with nothing to do but drive home - which is why they're thinking of changing it so bars stay open later. So would you think that's a good idea, then?

do you think it would make a difference?
    if bars stayed open later, do you think people would actually sober up before leaving...or simply drink more and still leave drunk? i honestly don't know....just curious.

personally, i think those who drink as long as they can would continue to do so, no matter....and those who chose to pay attention and concern themselves with not driving drunk, they would continue to do so, just have a bit more time to drink....so would be good for bar owners, just don't know if it would actually decrease drunk driving per se. it's an interesting question...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

if bars stayed open later, do you think people would actually sober up before leaving...or simply drink more and still leave drunk? i honestly don't know....just curious.

personally, i think those who drink as long as they can would continue to do so, no matter....and those who chose to pay attention and concern themselves with not driving drunk, they would continue to do so, just have a bit more time to drink....so would be good for bar owners, just don't know if it would actually decrease drunk driving per se. it's an interesting question...

Yes, I think it's a great idea. The plan is to have the bars stay open an extra hour without serving alcohol. I think it would be better if they let them stay open an extra 2-3 hours, personally, but an extra hour is better than nothing. Not only would it give people more time to sober up (although I do realize that really drunk people won't be able to become sober that quickly), but it would also decrease the urgency to leave and drive home. Instead of the streets of downtown being filled with drunk people spilling out of bars and onto the roads, getting in fights, etc., people would have more time to find a ride, call a cab (you can't get one when everyone's leaving at the same time), socialize, eat (the idea is that the bars would serve food late & people wouldn't have to drive to a 24-hour restaurant as they do now), etc. I just think everyone getting kicked out, drunk, all at once contributes to the problems. It's possible that people will still leave all at once (but hopefully less drunk), but I think fewer people stay as the night gets later.
    scb wrote:

Yes, I think it's a great idea. The plan is to have the bars stay open an extra hour without serving alcohol. I think it would be better if they let them stay open an extra 2-3 hours, personally, but an extra hour is better than nothing. Not only would it give people more time to sober up (although I do realize that really drunk people won't be able to become sober that quickly), but it would also decrease the urgency to leave and drive home. Instead of the streets of downtown being filled with drunk people spilling out of bars and onto the roads, getting in fights, etc., people would have more time to find a ride, call a cab (you can't get one when everyone's leaving at the same time), socialize, eat (the idea is that the bars would serve food late & people wouldn't have to drive to a 24-hour restaurant as they do now), etc. I just think everyone getting kicked out, drunk, all at once contributes to the problems. It's possible that people will still leave all at once (but hopefully less drunk), but I think fewer people stay as the night gets later.

i did not realize the point i bolded. THAt makes absolute, good sense...and i agree. our bars are open until 4, and idk if we have a set 'last call' time or not....so that is what i was thinking of, only. now i see the whole picture, and that's an awesome idea. really should do such EVERYwhere.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    scb wrote:

i did not realize the point i bolded. THAt makes absolute, good sense...and i agree. our bars are open until 4, and idk if we have a set 'last call' time or not....so that is what i was thinking of, only. now i see the whole picture, and that's an awesome idea. really should do such EVERYwhere.

Why would anyone stay in the bar after the alcohol has stopped being served? If people are gonna be allowed to stay in the bar for an extra hour - whilst food is being served - then it's obvious that they'll all order a shit load of drinks just before last orders is called and then spend the next hour 'finishing their drinks'.

And even now, after last orders is called, not everyone leaves at the same time. Some have more in their glasses left to finish. People generally leave separately over the course of about half an hour or 45 minutes.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    2am in Boston. Kinda lame since public transportation stops at 12:30am.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • I live in Alabama now and our bars stay open as long as someone is in there to drink. The hours of operation sign literally says until under closing. And the bars open back up at 11am. On Friday and Saturday nights I know the bars to stay open till 6 and 7 in the morning before everyone goes home.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Why would anyone stay in the bar after the alcohol has stopped being served? If people are gonna be allowed to stay in the bar for an extra hour - whilst food is being served - then it's obvious that they'll all order a shit load of drinks just before last orders is called and then spend the next hour 'finishing their drinks'.

And even now, after last orders is called, not everyone leaves at the same time. Some have more in their glasses left to finish. People generally leave separately over the course of about half an hour or 45 minutes.

I would stay, even without alcohol, to hear the band, eat some food, sober up, hang out with my friends, arrange a ride home, etc.

Current law here is that you can't order more than two drinks at a time. Plus, everyone must be done drinking by a certain time. Even if people stay kinda late, if anyone has a drink on the table the bar can be fined. Maybe they'll keep that time in place as well as the last call for serving alcohol. That is an important distinction though; good point.

Here, people don't leave all at once at last call - but they are kicked out all at once when the bars close whether they've finished their drinks or not.
    2am in Boston. Kinda lame since public transportation stops at 12:30am.

I agree that that's lame, and I think lack of available public transportation is another thing here that contributes to (or at least doesn't help) our DWI problem.
  • iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    MEGATRON wrote:
    its 2 here. they tried to pass a law for 4am but it didn't pass :evil:
    during the nba finals on game day it was 3am but the magic never won so no one stayed out :lol:
    i'm a little sad that they didn't pass it :( drunken dance party and eyespy and bbq bar are never long enough! geez i miss bbq bar...and the vegan hot dog guy. *sigh*

i'm so glad that i'll have someone to explore bars with next week here in seattle :D i need to explore...and figure out when the bars close!!