Options

Return of the B-Side?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    Binaural had B sides. Sad, Hitchhiker and Fatal.

True, but those were songs that were in the original track listing to the album... Also, they were not released until lost dogs. I am thinking more in terms of B-Sides released with singles.

It's like the analogy I used earlier about a single being an appetizer for an album... You want to get a little taste of something good, but not ruin your meal.

I used to go out of my way to get Singles on vinyl and cd for the extra content. Riot act was the last album to release extra content with the sings. Yield was the one before that.

Greatsongs I can think of:

otherside, down, undone, u, leatherman were the only 5 unreleased b-sides off of the last 4 albums... to be released with singles

The flaw in your appetizer analogy is that half the time the first single doesn't have non-album tracks:

Vitalogy - A:Spin the Black Circle B:Tremor Christ
    No Code - A:Who You Are B:Habit
    Binaural - A:Nothing As It Seems B:Insignificance
    Avocado - A:World Wide Suicide B:Unemployable

I'm pretty sure the only pre-album b-sides we've had are Wash, Alone, Leatherman, and Down. (Undone if you were crafty like me and avoided the US single for I Am Mine to get the import instead. And the acoustic Small Town doesn't count in my opinion.)
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/

• Options
    Dark EnergyDark Energy Here Posts: 203
    Black red and yellow! One of my favorites.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    great idea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    Dark Star wrote:
    B-Sides make the world go round..... Unfortunately Pj is a little short in the B-Side department.....

Leatherman, Dead Man, Other Side, Yellow Ledbetter, Down, U, Undone, Alone, Footsteps, Out of My Mind, and Dirty Frank is all I can think of in terms of original songs.......

PJ has more solid b-sides than any modern group I can think of outside maybe Oasis.

Sorry but Radiohead is probably the band with the most B sides that are actually that great to be released as an album. Just have to think of the EP for "My Iron Lung" or all the bsides for Ok Computer!!!!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    Zidane wrote:
    Dark Star wrote:
    B-Sides make the world go round..... Unfortunately Pj is a little short in the B-Side department.....

Leatherman, Dead Man, Other Side, Yellow Ledbetter, Down, U, Undone, Alone, Footsteps, Out of My Mind, and Dirty Frank is all I can think of in terms of original songs.......

PJ has more solid b-sides than any modern group I can think of outside maybe Oasis.

Sorry but Radiohead is probably the band with the most B sides that are actually that great to be released as an album. Just have to think of the EP for "My Iron Lung" or all the bsides for Ok Computer!!!!

I would agree that Radiohead has a better B-Side collection partly because size matters. But I'm pretty sure the band doesn't even like the songs on the My Iron Lung ep. [I think it's grand.] Some of my favorites are Talk Show Host, Palo Alto, Fog, Killer Cars, Gagging Order, How Can You Be Sure?, Pearly, Polyethylene... Yeah, they win.
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    Where oh where did the b-sides go?

Yield had a few. Binaural had none. Riot Act had 3 or so... ST had none. Do you think that we will get some b-sides with this release? Songs that just didn't fit the album, but will be fit for us to hear? Just a thought...
    GREAT IDEA :D:D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”