Options

Audience behavior at EV shows.... what do you think?

cbh1011cbh1011 Minnesota Posts: 134
edited June 2009 in The Porch
This is a thread on "Given to Fly" and deserves some attention on 'the Porch'.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101276&start=15

In essence, how do you feel about idiots (my term) repeatedly calling out for requests from EV during his solo sets?

You can read my diatribe.... I hate 'em.
Shut up and enjoy the show!

Blake
cbh1011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    :roll:
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I think everyone agrees that those mindless idiots yelling do their best to ruin or dampen some shows.

Eddie obviously dislikes it, but at this point, there is nothing that we can do on this board. It is going to happen.

Sadly the worst offenders are more than likely casual fans who don't frequent this board.
  • Options
    There was an interesting post in the 'given to fly' thread that essentially told all, including EV, to mellow out... that we're starting to sound snobby and forget our rebellious heritage. My paraphrase, but I think true to the post.

Made me stop and think if I'm getting too old.... but I've come back and said NO... I don't think it's cool during the solo shows to keep repeating your personal favorite song.

:(
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    BH22295 wrote:
    There was an interesting post in the 'given to fly' thread that essentially told all, including EV, to mellow out... that we're starting to sound snobby and forget our rebellious heritage. My paraphrase, but I think true to the post.

Made me stop and think if I'm getting too old.... but I've come back and said NO... I don't think it's cool during the solo shows to keep repeating your personal favorite song.

:(

That guy seems a little out of touch with what it means to have a sit down show at a small intimate theater.

I find his point ridiculous considering the event. I feel the people who responded to him, summed up my feelings pretty well.
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    I wish I could complain, but I didn't get to see a Eddie solo show.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I think the main problem with the outbursts from the audience is that it's NOT THE RIGHT SETTING for that type of behavior.

People can shout at sporting events because that's the right setting.
    People can shout at loud rock concerts because that's the right setting.

A small place where someone is playing one guitar alone on a stage is not the right place to shout out random garbage.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I hate people who yell at an eV show. It is not a Pearl Jam concert so sit down in your seat and shut up!!!

I'd actually like to listen to the songs and Ed talk...not some drunk loser yelling out song requests. :evil:
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I found myself to be disgusted by the people screaming out during Arc. I would close my eyes and slip into the sound of that beautiful song, and then "Yeeeeaaahhh!!! Eddie!!! Woooooooo!" would kill it. Repeatedly. WTF?

I also was much more annoyed at people getting up seemingly after every song to go get a beer or three. How much beer do you need, seriously? Then again, it may not have been any worse than a PJ show, I was just sitting down and forced to stare at asses all the time instead of being able to peek around their bobbing heads.

/end snob rant.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,855
    After being at Philly 2 I think i have an assumption about ppl at the shows.

Most are good, yell at the right times for requests etc...
    Some get real drunk cuz it's a freakin concert, and they are allowed to, sometimes they do and yell dumb things.
    There are some fights etc, (one real annoying guy kept yelling out the stanley cup score during the concert, not just 1 yell mind you, like the same thing for 5 min at time, then suprisingly one guy wanted to kick the crap out of him and almost did, he actually made ed look, ed stopped talking and went into the next song cuz of it)

If you multiply ed's concert x 100, you get a Pearl Jam concert with about the same amount of each ppl. which is probably why ed doesn't talk too much at pj shows.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Everyone should listen to Neil Young "live at Massey Hall", that is how the audience ahould be!
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    pearljim wrote:
    Everyone should listen to Neil Young "live at Massey Hall", that is how the audience ahould be!

I was about to write the same thing. The only time I hear someone yell out a song is 'down by the river' and he had asked for a request if I remember correctly. After songs it is clapping for the most part with some cheering, but perfectly silent when talking between songs.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Hawk123 wrote:
    pearljim wrote:

I was about to write the same thing. The only time I hear someone yell out a song is 'down by the river' and he had asked for a request if I remember correctly. After songs it is clapping for the most part with some cheering, but perfectly silent when talking between songs.
    Exactly. Did anyone ever think that had Eddie wanted this drunken shouting constantly, perhaps he would've made his tours at larger venues? :roll:
    P.S. it's a good thing they put that eye-rolling emoticon as a choice - it's amazing how often it's necessary.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Two Jack asses (older men) were kicked out of Balt 1in my row even before the show started as one puked all over the floor. Neither could walk. Orchestra Level Row N seats 125 and 126 you know who you are. They were suppose sit right next to me. The poor couple on the other side got the worse of it as one of them stepped in the puke and the other had it on his leg. Idiots..
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Well, if I have a chance to be on Ed show...
    I guess He likes intimate shows for His solo tour, IMO that's why He doesn't agree to release any dvds or cds from the shows - just to keep it intimated (and this way He deprives people like me of chance to feel how it is to see His show).
    Any way of this kind of rude behaviour shows zero empathy and respect for Ed. And the rest audience. And makes fans like me (who probably would never have to chance to be on Ed show) think these people don't deserve to be there. One big profanation.
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,318
    Dag. I enjoy having a nice buzz for the shows, but getting to point of vomiting?
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    5% of all pj fans behave like frat boys, they have a homo erotic obsession with the band, they want to be noticed and the positive or negative affirmation (it doesn't matter they just need attention), 10% of the fans are part of the asshole 1000 shows club who think that because they've been in 1000 shows they need rub it in the face of other fans, and the rest is very normal and respectful fans who enjoy to share memories and meet other wonderful fans.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    my impression from Philly is that it is better than last time around

the fans at the united palace in NYC were so annoying
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    I would rather hang out with the drunken, loud, obnoxious frat boys....

than hang out with people who are telling me how to behave at a concert.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    people who are telling me how to behave at a concert.

Does that include Ed?
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

Does that include Ed?
    If Mr. Vedder can go on stage and tell someone he "wants to shit on their head"...

Then Im thinking I can go to his show and scream out requests..............
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

Does that include Ed?
    If Mr. Vedder can go on stage and tell someone he "wants to shit on their head"...

Then Im thinking I can go to his show and scream out requests..............

I have no idea what you're talking about. But assuming he said something like that, that one statement gives all of us the right to act like assholes at all EV concerts henceforth?

Shouting during quiet songs people paid $100 to hear?
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about. But assuming he said something like that, that one statement gives all of us the right to act like assholes at all EV concerts henceforth?

Shouting during quiet songs people paid $100 to hear?
    Its a concert...

people like to yell and scream at a concert.....

and like I said ...

I would much rather hang out with the person who is yelling and screaming....

than hang out with the person who is telling me how to behave and threatening to have me removed from the venue because i am having fun.
  • Options
    Speedy, how would you feel if some drunken buffoon was singing into your ear with a rolled up poster so you couldn't really hear the voice you came to hear?! How would you feel if the same drunken fatso was spilling beer on your feet and flaying his arms around so much he hit you a few times?

Are you telling me you'd enjoy that and wouldn't be annoyed? :?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    Speedy, how would you feel if some drunken buffoon was singing into your ear with a rolled up poster so you couldn't really hear the voice you came to hear?! How would you feel if the same drunken fatso was spilling beer on your feet and flaying his arms around so much he hit you a few times?

sounds like every person who has sat next/near to me at every pearl jam concert i have attended....

i deal with it.....and let them enjoy themselves....
  • Options
    justam wrote:

sounds like every person who has sat next/near to me at every pearl jam concert i have attended....

I have dealt with that too but I don't LIKE it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options

I see that at all PJ shows, too, and don't mind it there. But don't you consider the EV (acoustic, seated theater) shows something different?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i didnt have the change to see ev solo,,but this is like a theater play i suppose,,with music too..and isnt good people shouting and ask songs...i think people in general can hold their voices down,,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    typically I hate it... except the guy in Albany who screamed "write a check" after ed was ranting that it will cost $12 mil to make the hudson swimable again...

thought that was kind of funny
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    A guy at Philly I announced the Phillies score and that they were beating the Mets. The whole tact of it though was it was timed correctly and he wasnt telling Ed, he was telling the crowd and everyone cheered. Even Ed seemed to enjoy the moment.

However, I have experienced once these things turn to sports they get out of control for awhile. Especially in the East where you have people from 3-10 major cities attending
  • Options
    I would rather hang out with the drunken, loud, obnoxious frat boys....

than hang out with people who are telling me how to behave at a concert.

Respectfully Speedy, couldn't disagree more. It's frankly just not cool to yell out shit and ruin the experiences of others. Doesn't mean you can't yell "Soon Forget" thirteen times even after EV said he's made up his set list with a caligraphy pen and he ain't takin requests.... It simply means that you're acting like a douche and everyone around you wishes you'd simply shut the fuck up.