Monsters of Folk

2»

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,881
    If anyone lives in philly you can listen to tonight's concert on WXPN :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,997
    If anyone lives in philly you can listen to tonight's concert on WXPN :)

Oh yeah.

And if you're not in Philly, go to www.xpn.org

PEACE
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Concert In Chicago was amazing!

played their stuff and their regular band's stuff too! 2.5 hours of fucking great music. Jim James is so fun to watch and hear!
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    i was at the philly show. it was my first time at the acadamy of music, and it was the best venue i've ever been to. amazing sound, and the building was really incredible. not only that but it was one of the best concerts i've ever seen. m. ward is really amazing on the guitar, the whole band was really great, but m. ward doing "100 million years" was probably the highlight of the show for me. he got a standing ovation from much of the crowd. (although i was close to the front and really didn't see the reaction from the crowd behind me). tonight is the last show, but otherwise i would say to everyone, this is a must see show for anyone who loves music.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I just realized what an awesome song "His Master's Voice" is.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    i was at the philly show. it was my first time at the acadamy of music, and it was the best venue i've ever been to. amazing sound, and the building was really incredible. not only that but it was one of the best concerts i've ever seen. m. ward is really amazing on the guitar, the whole band was really great, but m. ward doing "100 million years" was probably the highlight of the show for me. he got a standing ovation from much of the crowd. (although i was close to the front and really didn't see the reaction from the crowd behind me). tonight is the last show, but otherwise i would say to everyone, this is a must see show for anyone who loves music.

I was at this show too! The Academy of Music is an incredible venue! I was in the first set of balconies and the sound was just as perfect. Even with Jim James trying to test the acoustics of the theater it passed with flying colors. They did a real nice job renovating that place.

M. Ward pretty much stole the show until Jim James took over in the end. Ward has a great voice and some incredible music to back it up. Jim James pulling the Funky Chicken dance during one of the last jams had me cracking up. Conor Oberst did a good job during the group songs, but fell flat in my opinion during his solo songs.

Hopefully a copy of the show will be posted to archive.org sometime soon!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836

I was at this show too! The Academy of Music is an incredible venue! I was in the first set of balconies and the sound was just as perfect. Even with Jim James trying to test the acoustics of the theater it passed with flying colors. They did a real nice job renovating that place.

M. Ward pretty much stole the show until Jim James took over in the end. Ward has a great voice and some incredible music to back it up. Jim James pulling the Funky Chicken dance during one of the last jams had me cracking up. Conor Oberst did a good job during the group songs, but fell flat in my opinion during his solo songs.

Hopefully a copy of the show will be posted to archive.org sometime soon!

i loved conor, but then again i'm a huge bright eyes fan...anyway, if you want a copy of the show go to the forums at mymorningjacket.com. go to the shows section and search through the philly broadcast/stream thread. someone posted a megaupload link. the audio was taken from the xpn broadcast and it sounds great. the sound is messed up for the first 3 tracks and dear god had some problems, but other than that it sounds very professional.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,881
    not sure if this is a new song or an unreleased track from their debut album (actually looks like their debut album is getting reissued and this is on the album)

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited May 15
    Art by Jay Ryan
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    So happy I saw them back when. Such a great album and mix of voices.

Picture of the re-release:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108

I agree - they put on a wonderful show and I love the concept of a folk supergroup. Can't think of another one from the past ten or twenty years.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    Wait, with you saying a "folk supergroup". Was the name "Monsters of Folk" like a riff of "Monsters of rock" festivals and such?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    Wait, with you saying a "folk supergroup". Was the name "Monsters of Folk" like a riff of "Monsters of rock" festivals and such?
    Pretty sure it is! I even recall them promoting themselves as a folk supergroup themselves, though that could be a false memory I've made in my head lol
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    benjs said:

I agree - they put on a wonderful show and I love the concept of a folk supergroup. Can't think of another one from the past ten or twenty years.
    Depending on how you want to define it, The New Basement Tapes could fit the bill too