Monsters of Folk

LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
edited November 2009 in Other Music
the monsters of folk project is scheduled for release on september 22nd, same day as pearl jam! hell of a day that should be. for anyone who is unfamiliar with the monsters of folk, the trio consists of Yim Yames, M. Ward, and Conor Oberst........there are talks of a tour was well.

didn't feel like posting a link, but i got the info from pitchfork, who got it from a monsters of folk website and relix magazine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    This is going to be amazing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I feel like this has been in the making forever......should be really exciting when it finally arrives.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • StoveStove Posts: 320
    Don MCclean better be there!
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfcI2HliOIM

i might be going to the vancouver date oct 13 or something
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,416
    really looking forward to this record! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I heard the first single on XMU and it was quite underwhelming. I'm a HUGE fan of all of these guys and I guess there's no way it could meet my expectations. Here's to hoping it grows on me...
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I heard the first single on XMU and it was quite underwhelming. I'm a HUGE fan of all of these guys and I guess there's no way it could meet my expectations. Here's to hoping it grows on me...
    yah the first single wasnt what i was expected... extra cheesy lyrically and the music is just average... hopefully the rest of the album is better

was gonna see em in chicago but my concert budget is stretched to thin right now... and my boss isnt gonna keep letting me take off the time
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I heard the first single on XMU and it was quite underwhelming. I'm a HUGE fan of all of these guys and I guess there's no way it could meet my expectations. Here's to hoping it grows on me...
    yah the first single wasnt what i was expected... extra cheesy lyrically and the music is just average... hopefully the rest of the album is better

was gonna see em in chicago but my concert budget is stretched to thin right now... and my boss isnt gonna keep letting me take off the time

I listened to all 3 itunes samples, and none of them really impressed me. Oddly, Conor Oberst's song is the happiest and most upbeat, but it sounded like a leftover track from one of the mystic valley albums. My hopes for this aren't as high as it seemed on paper they should be.
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    heard the single...not impressed at all. Not a huge fan of any of them but i figured with that many songwriters they would've come up with something a lot better.
  • Lillou77Lillou77 Posts: 93
    I am going to see them in London, to be honest I think Conor has got weaker as he gets older so not expecting too much from it..
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    yeah, having started this thread and being a fan of all three, i gotta say i'm kinda disappointed from what i've heard as well. they've been hyping this thing up for a few years now, i was hoping for some better material. still gonna hold judgement until i hear the whole album though. i got tickets to see them in philly, and at this point i almost wish it was gonna be like the last tour where they were pretty much playing their own songs and covers.
  • MFC9289MFC9289 Posts: 144
    i don't know, i pretty much love all three songs and how ridiculously different they all are.

Dear God sounds like something off Evil Urges...maybe Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part 3?
    Boston II 9/29/04, Bonnaroo 6/14/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08

"Ransom paid the devil
    He whispers pleasing words
    Triumphant are the angels if they can get there first..."
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,997
    Seriously, how good is this album??? Amazing. Best album of the year so far - sorry Backspacer.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    It's really, really good, especially the first half. Conor's songs are hit or miss to me, but the collaborations are fantastic.

I was watching a webcast of a Jim James show at some charity auction last night. The man is only getting better with age... that voice is unreal.
  • Seriously, how good is this album??? Amazing. Best album of the year so far - sorry Backspacer.

dude, sheep only hear preese ;)

the munsters got nuttin on got some if u need it
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Seriously, how good is this album??? Amazing. Best album of the year so far - sorry Backspacer.

i don't think it's the best of the year, i'd give that to neko, but it is really fucking superb, and yes, better than backspacer. i can't really say any of the musicians stand out much individually, which is a great thing for a collaboration like this. they are all on top of their game for this album.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Definitley love this album. In constant rotation here!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    What surprised me is out of the three main musicians Conor is my least favorite, but i tend to find myself likeing his songs on this album the best.

It is a nice album.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I was watching a webcast of a Jim James show at some charity auction last night. The man is only getting better with age... that voice is unreal.

Thanks for making me look; Ifound this:
    http://backseatsandbar.com/2009/10/03/review-jim-james-the-rud-motherlodge-10109/

I'm so happy MOF added Richmond to their tour schedule. I'll be there!
  • jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    was not that impressed. i guess i put too much weight in it. but i was let down. just average for me and certainly not very much folk going on. unless you consider keyboard folk. haha. black crows in levon helm's barn lays waste to monsters of folk.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,997
    jr19 wrote:
    was not that impressed. i guess i put too much weight in it. but i was let down. just average for me and certainly not very much folk going on. unless you consider keyboard folk. haha. black crows in levon helm's barn lays waste to monsters of folk.

Your credibility went out the window with, "Black Crows."
    sure. and i bet you have listened to their new album right. look im not here to argue over credibility. it is just my opinion and obviously you dont have anything constructive to add or you would have instead of trying bash my "credibility". lets hear what else you listen to.

ps if you think mof is a great album then great but to me it is average at best..,
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Tried to listen to MOF because of all the hype I've heard about it.

Don't think I made it even one minute in before I gave up.

IMO MOF = crap
    #FHP
  • prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    Really like the album, cant get enough of it, stand out tracks for me are whole lotta losin, ahead of the curve and sandman,The brakeman and me
  • mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    Like them alot - seeing the show at Massey Nov 2
    after a few more listens, the ablum is not as bad as i intially thought. its good.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,416
    really solid record! the tour reviews thus far have been great...can't wait to see them next month @ Stubb's!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    heard whole lota losin and i dig that one..kinda a george harrison thing goin on. Still not sold but I too will change my stance from meh to not bad but nothing great.
  • loveatreeloveatree Posts: 142
    i just got to see their show, 5 days ago in l.a. the show was amazing. some stand outs for me were whole lotta losin, the right place, man named truth, losin' your head, my favorite part would have to be jim singing look at you...it's just jim on stage, making music with his guitar, hands and voice, just a magical experience. they played 2 hours 45 mins, no intermission, no opening acting, fucking incredible show!!! :P
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• OK, so I only got the album last week... Pretty shoddy for a big JJ fan :oops:

I'm in love with it. Particularly Dear God, Tezmazcal, Man Named Truth, Ahead of the Curve and The Sandman The Brakeman and Me. I find the whole album magical.

I wish I was seeing them in London :cry:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.