Options

backspacer sound?

Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
edited June 2009 in The Porch
So what do you guys think are the chances that backspacer is going to be properly produced and mastered? I love self-titled, but it is possibly the worst sounding record in my entire collection, and has gotten to be borderline unplayable. Have Brendan O'Brien is a good step, but he's shown to be as vulnerable to loudness wars as anyone else. Its a shame cause pearl jam is so much better then that.
Personally, I say we got a 1:2 chance mostly because I wanna stay optimisitic and got some sounds like it'll kill on headphones. What does everyone else think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lostdogs77lostdogs77 Posts: 93
    I agree. Unfortunately it seems like very few people that have control over the issue are overly concerned. It is probably hard to convince music executives the importance of high fidelity sound when mp3 is the most popular format right now. I know that Neil Young is on this issue pretty hard.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand. What's wrong with the sound on self-titled?? I think riot act is their worst album, so I guess that means I think it has the worst sound...but something tells me that's not what you mean...
  • Options
    BTW I was just talking about sound quality in general. not pointing the finger at avocado
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 590
    I never understood the argument that "Avacado" sounds poor. Ok, it might be a little loud, but I thought the production sounded much cleaner and clearer than "Riot Act". Yes, the loudness of CD's is a big topic these days, but I don't think "Avacodo" is in the same league as "Death Magnetic" by Metallica, for example.

I guess I feel like "Avacodo", "Yield", and "Vs." are clean, well-produced, good sounding albums... while "Riot Act" sounds a little muddy ("Ghost", "Save You") at times.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I'm not sure I understand. What's wrong with the sound on self-titled?? I think riot act is their worst album, so I guess that means I think it has the worst sound...but something tells me that's not what you mean...

it's compressed to shit and there's no headroom in the audio.
  • Options
    Maybe it is cool to pick on the avocado in general. I thought it was a pretty strong effort.
  • Options

Has anyone heard any recent releases that do sound really good? No sarcasm intended
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i definitely can agree that avocado is extremely compressed and there really isn't much headroom in the audio as one said. however, i feel that it basically works with the kind of songs on that album though! life wasted through marker in the sand for example, are such punchy, crunchy tunes that really work well with that sharp edge production. however, an album like yield, that would never work with. i think backspacer will have a good blend of both.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    i definitely can agree that avocado is extremely compressed and there really isn't much headroom in the audio as one said. however, i feel that it basically works with the kind of songs on that album though! life wasted through marker in the sand for example, are such punchy, crunchy tunes that really work well with that sharp edge production. however, an album like yield, that would never work with. i think backspacer will have a good blend of both.

I agree with most of what you said but I really think Comatose sounds the worst on the record... Clipping out the headroom takes away a lot of the dynamic of songs, I just kind of feel like we're missing out on some of the subtleties that would normally be there.
  • Options
    lostdogs77 wrote:

Has anyone heard any recent releases that do sound really good? No sarcasm intended

Pretty much anything by Wilco.
  • Options
    Wilco is one of those bands that I regret not getting into.
  • Options

+1 By about song 5 my ears are killing me on a stereo, and on headphones the drums sound like theyre in another room. There is just no depth to the sound whatsoever. Personally, Yield is one of my favorite headphone albums and it's because of how warm the sound is, hopefully we can get back to that, even if this album turns out to be totally different.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    The record is mastered properly. It sounds pretty awesome. The S/T cd is every bit as bad as Death Magnetic as far as distortion goes.
  • Options
    Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    I've heard the term compression before, but headroom? Anyone care to elaborate?
  • Options
    Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    DewieCox wrote:
    The record is mastered properly. It sounds pretty awesome. The S/T cd is every bit as bad as Death Magnetic as far as distortion goes.

You audiophiles need to explain yourselves better! :) And what sounds pretty awesome, Backspacer? You're the man, how bout a tracklisting,,, kidding.
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:
    I've heard the term compression before, but headroom? Anyone care to elaborate?

I think what he was referring to is the "space" in music. Opposite of compression basically, it's called compression because it makes the sound seem as if it is all piled on top of and squeezed into eachother. When a record isn't compressed, and especially on headphones, it sounds as if the music is all around you and given space, ie. headroom.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Stu42 wrote:

+1 By about song 5 my ears are killing me on a stereo, and on headphones the drums sound like theyre in another room. There is just no depth to the sound whatsoever. Personally, Yield is one of my favorite headphone albums and it's because of how warm the sound is, hopefully we can get back to that, even if this album turns out to be totally different.

I'm not a huge audiophile, but even I noticed this. The album literally physically hurts to listen to.
  • Options
    The 2008 bootlegs are the worst of all. Bloated bass, crispy highs and distortion galore. Every PJ release/series gets progressively worse sounding. It shocks me how many musicians simply don't care about this kind of shit.
  • Options
    The 2008 bootlegs are the worst of all. Bloated bass, crispy highs and distortion galore. Every PJ release/series gets progressively worse sounding. It shocks me how many musicians simply don't care about this kind of shit.

Yeah I brought this up when the 08 boots were released, they sounded awful, but a lot of people here told me to stop bitching... I'm fortunate to have the recordings, I just wish they had been produced better...

Unfortunately, a lot of musicians don't realize what is going on in terms of mixing... myself, I had to take audio production classes in college for my major so I learned a bit about the whole process... after doing that I really started to take notice of the quality of recorded music in general and I've become somewhat of an audiophile over the last 4-5 years.

For those curious about headroom, this wikipedia article explains it better than I can... someone said space and that's a good description but there's a bit more to it... it's almost like a threshold of sorts... if you go past that threshold, clipping occurs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom
  • Options
    knikknik Posts: 94
    As I understand, records are made louder/compressed these days so that they come through louder on the radio, and also because most people have a general perception that a louder is better. CDs are usually compressed for this reason, while most of the vinyl are not subjected to this, because in general the people who buy vinyls are more conscious of the audio quality Vs loudness. I'm sure that the big record company/label executives want the CDs to be loud, so the producer and mastering techs have to make compromises to appease the recording executives.
    So now that Pearl Jam are not constrained by any record company's loudness requirements, will BOB and the mastering techs give us a dynamic sounding CD? Lets hope so!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,032
    i hope brendon o' brien does a great job on the new pearl jam record! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backspacer ... _Jam_album)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    lostdogs77 wrote:
    Wilco is one of those bands that I regret not getting into.

dude, it's never to late to get into a band.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Stu42 wrote:
    So what do you guys think are the chances that backspacer is going to be properly produced and mastered? I love self-titled, but it is possibly the worst sounding record in my entire collection, and has gotten to be borderline unplayable. Have Brendan O'Brien is a good step, but he's shown to be as vulnerable to loudness wars as anyone else. Its a shame cause pearl jam is so much better then that.
    Personally, I say we got a 1:2 chance mostly because I wanna stay optimisitic and got some sounds like it'll kill on headphones. What does everyone else think?

I think the chances are slim to none and slim is out eating a fatty burger so...

The only thing that makes me think there might be a chance is Guns 'N Roses' Chinese Democracy was released and did not succumb to the loundess wars. Even more mindblowing is Axl was the one who made the choice to go with the dynamic version. So, since there is a relatively recent release that wasn't mastered too loud it is possible.
  • Options
    lostdogs77 wrote:

See my recent previous post. Chinese Democracy is the most recent well mastered record I can think of.
  • Options

I think you are wrong. The punch, crunchiness of the tunes is lost on a wimpy false loud sound. I was listening to The Wall today and it has WAY more punch and crunch due to the fact that there is actually impact in the notes being played...and the songs on there aren't in the style of Pearl Jam's music off the Avocado album. If the songs off of avocado were to be released without being overcompressed they would definitely have more punch and crunch than they currently do.
  • Options

Yeah, it shocks me too. Back in the '70s bands were so very anal about their sound being reproduced perfectly so that the listener would feel like they were in the same room. That just doesn't happen anymore and it blows my mind.

Alot of pot smoking was going on back then and from what I've heard a side effect of that is sensitivity to sound...perhaps bands need to get on the pot again so that they become more sensitive to this. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I think you are wrong. The punch, crunchiness of the tunes is lost on a wimpy false loud sound. I was listening to The Wall today and it has WAY more punch and crunch due to the fact that there is actually impact in the notes being played...and the songs on there aren't in the style of Pearl Jam's music off the Avocado album. If the songs off of avocado were to be released without being overcompressed they would definitely have more punch and crunch than they currently do.

People don't seem to understand that music has dynamics. Loud parts and soft parts. Avocado is LOUD LOUD LOUD all the way through. Even the quiet songs are LOUD. And it sucks.

The beginning of the Wall is a good example. You've got that quiet music at the beginning and then BAM!...it blows you away. If it was mastered like Avocado, the quiet music at the beginning would be just as loud as the band entering. Thus, no dynamics.
  • Options

People don't seem to understand that music has dynamics. Loud parts and soft parts. Avocado is LOUD LOUD LOUD all the way through. Even the quiet songs are LOUD. And it sucks.

The beginning of the Wall is a good example. You've got that quiet music at the beginning and then BAM!...it blows you away. If it was mastered like Avocado, the quiet music at the beginning would be just as loud as the band entering. Thus, no dynamics.

+1 Great Example.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,153
    listening to the Torino show where they played self-titled all the way through and to the AOL sessions definitely gives me an enjoyable listening experience. still, best way to hear a record is live at a show!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Yeah, you said it. You can "feel" the intensity of the music much much MUCH more in just listening to that small snippet of music from your example than you can in all of Avocado.