2»

Comments

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    MrSmith wrote:
    I'll give it a D+

+ Can't Keep = good opener
    - Save You = pales in comparison to older PJ punk stuff
    - LBC = I hate this song, too. Worst song title ever.
    - Cropduster = moderate rock shit + second worst song title ever.
    - Ghost = moderate rock shit.
    - I Am Mine = guitar solo can only be described as "limp dick".
    - Thumbing My Way = pales in comparison to older PJ acoustic stuff

wait! dont stop reading! it get slightly better!

+ You Are = i like the cool Smiths sound. weird but not bad.
    - Get Right = moderate rock shit.
    ++ Green Disease = LOVE THIS SONG. much better live though.
    - Help Help = fucking terrible
    - Bu$hleaguer = fucking terrible
    + 1/2 Full = cool song. references Porch (+10 cool points) and has good bluesy vibe. another in a long line of PJ songs that start weak and get better.
    = Arc = whatever
    + All or None = good closer

ok so not that much better.

you're nuts dude. you always seem to just like the early stuff. lol come on now
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    spearhead wrote:
    Fans of Binaural and Riot Act, fans who saw shows during the 2003 > 2006 era, were witness to a certain time in the Pearl Jam phenomenon that was very unique. These songs took on a whole new life when played LIVE ... I've read so many negative posts about these two albums, but always wonder if the poster really saw these songs evolve as the band played them more and more during these years...
    I think it helps to know some of the history of these songs too...I mean, to me, Save You will always remind me of a plea from Ed to Mike, and Thumbing My Way is just such an achingly beautiful love song with one of the best melodic hooks I've ever heard, and certain lines like:

Its like she lost her invitation to the party on earth
    And shes standing outside hating everyone here.
    Yeah, shes her own disease, crying to her doll.
    But only love can break her fall.

...are the best the band has ever written...I sometimes feel that these two albums are well kept Pearl Jam secrets, and those of us who saw them LIVE during these years were witness to something very special.

I agree with you
    Binaural and Riot Act albums are very underrated - maybe because their sound and approach differ from their previous work which we had got used to previously. For me (who really loves their releases since the Ten era) as well it was hard to accept they are farther and farther from their roots but I am obviously not the same person I used to be in 1992, either...It took some time (actually years) for me as well to kinda learn to feel/understand these songs but now I don't think No Code or Yield were more experimental records at all...I wish they had played more stuff off these albums in 2006/2007...for instance Ghost, Light Years, You Are, Sleight Of Hand, Of The Girl, 1/2 Full, Breakerfall, Can't Keep, Soon Forget, Nothing As It Seems etc etc
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    ++ Can't Keep = uplifting moody beauty
    + Save You = weaker lyrics but very strong cohesion between the musicians (esp. Matt rulez)
    + LBC = sounds like a nice John Lennon tune
    = Cropduster = an OK song but sounds great
    ++ Ghost = I love this song - fast, hard and kicks major asses
    ++ I Am Mine = a strong melody, a live favourite, a masterpiece
    + Thumbing My Way = the simpliest song on the album but still like it especially the piano part
    ++ You Are = sounds really good, I really wished to hear it in Europe:-(
    = Get Right = far from their best but not that bad
    + Green Disease = a decent rock song, great live track
    - Help Help = nothing special, a lackluster
    + Bu$hleaguer = Awesome song, especially the live version!!!
    ++ 1/2 Full = maybe my favourite song, weird but cool rhytms and guitar sounds, extraordinary vocals
    + Arc = a haunting and moving acapella
    + All or None = a fine trendkilling track: brilliant lyrics, nice melody
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    An AnimalAn Animal Posts: 129
    spearhead wrote:
    Fans of Binaural and Riot Act, fans who saw shows during the 2003 > 2006 era, were witness to a certain time in the Pearl Jam phenomenon that was very unique. These songs took on a whole new life when played LIVE ... I've read so many negative posts about these two albums, but always wonder if the poster really saw these songs evolve as the band played them more and more during these years...
    I think it helps to know some of the history of these songs too...I mean, to me, Save You will always remind me of a plea from Ed to Mike, and Thumbing My Way is just such an achingly beautiful love song with one of the best melodic hooks I've ever heard, and certain lines like:

...are the best the band has ever written...I sometimes feel that these two albums are well kept Pearl Jam secrets, and those of us who saw them LIVE during these years were witness to something very special.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

I think all the years of weed smoking is starting to effect the area of some peoples brains where good music is processed.
    "I am ahead, I am advanced, I am the
    first man to buy all of Stones
    underpants" E.V. during DTE 7-9-03
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    its a really strong album
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Gmoney wrote:
    doesn't make sense to me...

I'm sure SPEEDY would elaborate if he wasn't on time out. :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i agree with spearhead.....hearing riot act live really made the album come alive for me....:)
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    not the best, but it's a pretty solid album. I think it flows well.

All or None is just amazing... I hope they open some of their shows with that this tour...

All or None is definitely the best song on Riot Act, and one of their best songs in general. I was lucky enough to see it live at MSG in '03.

Riot Act has some really good songs, but I absolutely despise "Get Right." In my opinion, that is one of their worst.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I feel like riot act is eddie talking directly to us. it's so personal. he started to on binaural but pulled back after light years drained him. but after that tour he was more comfortable than ever. riot act is a look deep into the soul of the greatest poet/singer,songwriter of our time. I know he didnt write every song, but i also know that the others communicate best through ed (hence, pearl jam.) I feel's ed's:
    1. desperation
    2. anger
    3. regret
    4. understanding
    5. darkness
    6. hopefulness
    7. sadness
    8. power
    9. highness
    10. humor
    11. oddness
    12. disgust
    13. youth
    14. voice
    15. hopelessness

Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    have you listened to the album? along with binaural, it's responsible for turning casual fans away from the band. and i hate to break it to people, there are few songs on this album that would really get the majority of fans excited, especially when played live.
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I love it. I can see why some people would have mixed feelings about it but, man...I love this record.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Gmoney wrote:
    doesn't make sense to me...
    it doesn't make sense because they're all crackheads, crackheads aren't known to be logical
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    pearljammerpearljammer Posts: 237
    spearhead wrote:

Spearhead, you fucking rule. What you've said is SO TRUE. The songs from Binaural and Riot Act took on their own life.

I became a fan because of the older stuff, but it was around the time that Yield and Binaural came out. Riot Act is the album that was in my deck when I fell in love with the love of my life. Not everyone can say that. But for me, these albums represent my coming of age. For fucks sake, I downloaded a leaked copy of Binaural. I saw them live for the first time in Boise, Idaho..
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Fuckin' awesome album......

Save You is a fuckin' tune.....the lyrics are very moving.....

Ghost kicks ass and i love the solo.....

You Are is stunning, Matt is a great songwriter.....

Thunbing My Way contains some of Ed's best and most moving lyrics.....

and of course All Or None, a great album closer.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton