Options

"pearl jam" revisited, 2 yrs later.

Comments

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I can't imagine a band with Pearl Jam's history and catalogue making an album any more perfect for the age we live in!
    incredible! i didnt need to read any further cuz i dig what u said here. Nice work! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    incredible! i didnt need to read any further cuz i dig what u said here. Nice work! :D

In fact, as soon as I'm finished work, I'm going to go home, put on my big-ass headphones and drop the needle on my Avocado black circle, just to spite the haters! :-)
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I still love it as much as I did when it came out.

I hated Riot Act so, so much that this was like a breath of fresh air to me. Ed sounded like he cared again, the songs were much more layered and nuanced, Mike ripped some solos like he hasn't done since Vs., the lyrics were relevant and told stories again. That is one thing that grabbed me. WWS tells a story. So does Gone and Come Back and Army Reserve. No more tripe like Get Right and Cropduster and Ghost. Talk about songs that don't mean anything. What the hell is Get Right even about anyway??

Actually, that is what I don't understand. I don't understand how people like neither Riot Act or Avocado. They are polar opposites of each other. Riot Act sounds like a beaten down, worn out, washed up band on its last leg before calling it quits. It is so bland and Ed sounds bored and as if he just phoned it in. Avocado sounds like a band reborn, who have found a purpose again.

Ed is not going to write about topics he wrote about in Ten, Vs., Vitaology, etc. He is not 26 years old anymore and those issues that moved him so much in the past seem to have for the most part been put to bed. If the war, and the state of the economy and politics is what fuels his passion now, not just for himself, but for his family, then that is the way it is going to be. If that is what drives him, then so be it. At least he is still passionate about something. At least the anger and fire is still there. It just isn't about his upbringing and parents anymore.

I think it is more than a step in the right direction, espcially given where this band is in their career. It is no coincidence it scored very favorable review. You can tell when a band cares again and puts forth the effort.

This is the album I had been waiting for since Yield, although I really like the songs on Binaural, I hate the production. So I just stick to the boots.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    I still love it as much as I did when it came out.

I hated Riot Act so, so much that this was like a breath of fresh air to me. Ed sounded like he cared again, the songs were much more layered and nuanced, Mike ripped some solos like he hasn't done since Vs., the lyrics were relevant and told stories again. That is one thing that grabbed me. WWS tells a story. So does Gone and Come Back and Army Reserve. No more tripe like Get Right and Cropduster and Ghost. Talk about songs that don't mean anything. What the hell is Get Right even about anyway??

Actually, that is what I don't understand. I don't understand how people like neither Riot Act or Avocado. They are polar opposites of each other. Riot Act sounds like a beaten down, worn out, washed up band on its last leg before calling it quits. It is so bland and Ed sounds bored and as if he just phoned it in. Avocado sounds like a band reborn, who have found a purpose again.

Ed is not going to write about topics he wrote about in Ten, Vs., Vitaology, etc. He is not 26 years old anymore and those issues that moved him so much in the past seem to have for the most part been put to bed. If the war, and the state of the economy and politics is what fuels his passion now, not just for himself, but for his family, then that is the way it is going to be. If that is what drives him, then so be it. At least he is still passionate about something. At least the anger and fire is still there. It just isn't about his upbringing and parents anymore.

I think it is more than a step in the right direction, espcially given where this band is in their career. It is no coincidence it scored very favorable review. You can tell when a band cares again and puts forth the effort.

Exactly how I feel, although I also like Riot Act a whole lot too--again, it's art made by rational, honest people I respect a lot--I couldn't hate it! Riot Act, to me, was the stunned reaction to how crazy everything got post-9/11. I think we all felt a bit confused and beaten at that time--on top of that, throw in the whole Roskilde mess and a divorce for EV and it's easy to understand how that record came about--I still think it was an honest record that was made for the right reasons. The Avocado was the reaction to the next three years when the US government hijacked its people's patriotic sentiments (and those of the world) and started using it as an excuse to control and kill people, hence the air of being "pissed off" again--an awful lot of us who are not members of Pearl Jam feel very similarly!
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Riot Act is a very dark record, and i agree with guitar_davey, it reflects post 9/11 confusion and is much more introspective.....

Avocado is the opposite - just look at the albums covers!!!!!

The colour of Avocado compared to the dark burnt black/brown of Riot Act.....this is a band focussed and awake again....listen to the songs, no more looking inward but a new found vitality......re-born and this time with focussed lyrics, Vedder almost spitting with anger on some tracks......even the most introspective track, Mike's Inside Job is positive and about moving forward.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    this album has a theme..i dont get where you say it doesnt???

it talks about the war and the different aspects of it from WWS and Bush dragging us in a war, death of Tillman and how it was used as propaganda

then you get the view of Army Reserve and the take from a families perspective and having a loved one in war

Come Back and Life Wasted, originally about Johnny Ramone, but can be taken as someone dying in the war and trying to live without them, if you put it in the perspective of the feel of the album

Big Wave to me is the only odd man out song, but there seems to be one on every album

im glad this album had purpose because to me Riot Act was lifeless and dull and felt like the band was bored...this album is collecting dust....Binaural im trying to get back into...

CROPDUSTER 84 AND GUITAR_DAVEY BOTH YOU NAIL IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD, BY THE WAY!!!!
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    this album has a theme..i dont get where you say it doesnt???

it talks about the war and the different aspects of it from WWS and Bush dragging us in a war, death of Tillman and how it was used as propaganda

then you get the view of Army Reserve and the take from a families perspective and having a loved one in war

Come Back and Life Wasted, originally about Johnny Ramone, but can be taken as someone dying in the war and trying to live without them, if you put it in the perspective of the feel of the album

Big Wave to me is the only odd man out song, but there seems to be one on every album

im glad this album had purpose because to me Riot Act was lifeless and dull and felt like the band was bored...this album is collecting dust....Binaural im trying to get back into...

CROPDUSTER 84 AND GUITAR_DAVEY BOTH YOU NAIL IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD, BY THE WAY!!!!

I agree on Big Wave being the odd song out, but my take is that it's a celebration of the power of nature and a commentary on the evolution of man. We've made a huge mess of the planet, as alluded to many times on the record--all this from creatures who essentially evolved from amoebae.
  • Options
    I agree on Big Wave being the odd song out, but my take is that it's a celebration of the power of nature and a commentary on the evolution of man. We've made a huge mess of the planet, as alluded to many times on the record--all this from creatures who essentially evolved from amoebae.

Yeah, thats exactly what I think of Big Wave too, very similar to DTE in its theme in my opinion.....

Very shocked to learn the majority of PJ fans seem to dislike it.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Yeah, thats exactly what I think of Big Wave too, very similar to DTE in its theme in my opinion.....

Very shocked to learn the majority of PJ fans seem to dislike it.....

The majority of PJ fans are momma's boys. Probably accountants who live in with their parents and tell people they sublet to them. Of course they do not like songs like Big Wave, Evacuation or Pilate. They ooohh and ahh over the blander mid-tempo songs that don't do nothing or go anywhere. Not that PJ has many of those songs of course. Avacado is total garage rock fury, but they opt for those "Who You Are-In My Tree" reflective moments without actual melody or guitar momentum. OK songs at times, but nowhere near the energy and edge of their most recent works.

If I said it once, I have said 10 times, they puprosefully left Brain of J of No Code! What does that tell you ?.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I am amazed by all the negative reaction I've read here to this album.

I loved this album when it first came out and I love it now--and this is from someone who is a diehard Pearl Jam fan, but probably doesn't live and die with the band on a daily basis as heavily as some of you here. If I truly thought this album was a stinker, I think I'd be one of the first to say so.

I can't imagine a band with Pearl Jam's history and catalogue making an album any more perfect for the age we live in! And for those who feel the album lacks a theme, I couldn't disagree more--it's a call to arms for our entire society! Yes, it's got its anti-war parts, but to me, it's much more than that. It's a reflection on all the problems going on in the world today and a celebration that open-mindedness, nature (a recurring PJ theme anyway) and love are the only way to go...

I find it funny how a lot of the so-called "Yield fans" and "No Code fans" (by the way, those are two of my personal favourite albums) look down on all the fairweather fans from 1991 who stopped caring about PJ's albums when they refused to keep pumping out albums like Ten and Vs. All the so-called die-hards are now shitting on Pearl Jam because they won't make another album like Yield or No Code. What a bunch of hypocrites!

Poor fuckers--it seems they can't do anything to please their fanbase! I realize the criticism is not of the band or the people, but I'm not sure what it is that people expect from them?! That last album, to me, sounds like a Pearl Jam album--no two PJ albums sound the same, but they always have great melodies, great lyrics, raw sound and no frilly bullshit. I don't feel the same way when I listen to the Avocado that I did when I first heard Vs. or Vitalogy or Yield, but those were all at very different times in my life personally and different times in our world, to say nothing of the fact the guys in the band are older!

I'm just thankful they're still making honest, heartfelt, topical music...I expect nothing else from them because they've already given more than any other band I listen to...

My two cents on "Pearl Jam"

DP

Holy shit dude! You just knocked it out of the park with a thunderous Godsmack!

Great fuckin' post!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    i enjoyed the album, i still listen to songs such as wws and marker in the sand and the version of severed hand thats on the 2nd show of the gorge is brilliant but i think that its the poorest album they have done. Still a good album, i dont get all the riot act bashing btw!!
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    guitar_davey's posts in this thread have all been great. I agree with him on pretty much every point, especially about avocado and riot act.
  • Options
    I agree that Riot Act and Avocado are different albums but I'm not crazy about either. But besides pacing (which actually is a huge difference), I dont hear that much difference musically. They are both filled with weird, disjointed rythms and experiments.

Ed's voice does sound ten times better on the last album.
  • Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    I've listened to the new album more than any others.

I'd rank it slightly ahead of Yield, depending on my mood I suppose....and it contains the best PJ song in their catalogue....Marker in the Sand!
  • Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    Holy shit dude! You just knocked it out of the park with a thunderous Godsmack!

Great fuckin' post!

I couldn't agree more...Yield was brilliant and personally, No Code is severely overrated on this board.

Self-titled is one of their more consistent outings and while it may not have the flow of Yield, I think the 'best' songs of the latest release is superior to Yield.

Dude, if the latest release replaces No Code years ago with this release, you would hear a lot of fans screaming how great Avacodo was.

There will always be a huge Yield and No Code 'army' no matter what PJ releases in the future. The 'latest' release will never be as good as Yield or No Code for many people, and that's fine. But to bash the latest release is mind blowing...its a genuinely diverse album that brings out all of the strengths of the world's greatest rock band, IMHO.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I agree that Army Reserve is somewhat weird. Could it be that it sounds Soundgarden-ish? That's what irks me about it.

MNever thought of that? Maybe because they have a member of Soundgarden? Sounds U2ish to me. I think that Big Wave sorta sounds like SG.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Big Wave is a billion times better than Sweet Lew and is completely rocking....the solo is awesome and the lyrics are great, spiritual yet fun.....

I'll never understand the hate for Big Wave....or the love for Life Wasted......

Matt's backing vocals kick ass too. (Well except for the GOT ME A RIIIIIIDE psrt)
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

You could say the same thing about Ten and No Code, my two favorite albums, though very different from each other. But where Ten and No Code successfully veered in wildly different directions, Riot Act and Avocado fail miserably. To me anyway.

to each his own.

On a different note, I do love Avocado for it amazing infusion of energy into their live shows. The last tour was amazing and most of the new songs sound great live. Just as an album it does nothing for me. They should just record their albums live from now on like MC5 or something to capture that energy. They seem to have lost it in the studio (production?)
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    They seem to have lost it in the studio (production?)

You've nailed it....

I like the songs on Avocado, but not the production.....

they need to give Mr O Brien a call methniks....
  • Options
    You've nailed it....

I like the songs on Avocado, but not the production.....

they need to give Mr O Brien a call methniks....

THAT, I will concede. The last album probably has the weakest production of any of PJ's releases. A lot of the songs definitely sound very compressed, which is un-Pearl Jam-like. I've always liked the fact that as far as "modern rock" bands go, Pearl Jam has always had a very organic sound to their albums, aside from Ten--chalk that up to a new band probably having minimal input into how their first studio recording was done.

I think Brendan O'Brien has done some very bland albums by bands that don't excite me personally (Audioslave comes to mind), but he has gotten some amazing atmosphere out of Pearl Jam's music over the years.

Also, mildly disappointed to hear that they got away from live recording on the last album--they'd be well advised to go back to live takes for the next album as it suits the band much better.

Dave
  • Options
    THAT, I will concede. The last album probably has the weakest production of any of PJ's releases. A lot of the songs definitely sound very compressed, which is un-Pearl Jam-like. I've always liked the fact that as far as "modern rock" bands go, Pearl Jam has always had a very organic sound to their albums, aside from Ten--chalk that up to a new band probably having minimal input into how their first studio recording was done.

I think Brendan O'Brien has done some very bland albums by bands that don't excite me personally (Audioslave comes to mind), but he has gotten some amazing atmosphere out of Pearl Jam's music over the years.

Also, mildly disappointed to hear that they got away from live recording on the last album--they'd be well advised to go back to live takes for the next album as it suits the band much better.

Dave

I agree with every word of that :D

The O Brien albums easily have the best production.....

compare the organic sound of tracks like Present Tense and Given To Fly to the stodgy yet compressed sound of songs like Life Wasted....

hard to believe its the same band.....

and yeah, definately move back to live takes......
  • Options
    gus stillsgus stills Posts: 339
    It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I'll contend that this is their finest release. Not their most passionate (Ten), angriest (VS), grungiest (Vitalogy), transdecent (No Code), lyric (Yield), contemplative (Binaural), experimental (Riot Act) or interesting (Lost Dogs). But put all of those together with a maturity that not too many bands have today (I can name a handful, if that...)and add serious political relevance that doesn't distract from gorgeous music, and you have my favorite PJ album. But, like I said, a matter of opinion. I find myself listening to it more and more--that is, when I'm not cranking Don't Gimme No Lip.
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    gus stills wrote:
    It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I'll contend that this is their finest release. Not their most passionate (Ten), angriest (VS), grungiest (Vitalogy), transdecent (No Code), lyric (Yield), contemplative (Binaural), experimental (Riot Act) or interesting (Lost Dogs). But put all of those together with a maturity that not too many bands have today (I can name a handful, if that...)and add serious political relevance that doesn't distract from gorgeous music, and you have my favorite PJ album. But, like I said, a matter of opinion. I find myself listening to it more and more--that is, when I'm not cranking Don't Gimme No Lip.

Hey Hey, Vitalogy was punk, not grunge! Ten was their only album which could be considered grunge. Thank for showing love for the latest ALbum.
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    After reading the first posts in this thread - I found my avocado and gave it a spin or two. I must say I really like the album, it sounds fresh. Somehow the band sounds fresher than they have in some time. The album has a great feel about it and I think it´s some of their best lyrics - WWS is one of their best rockers ever.........
    So two years old and stil rocking fresh -I Love it
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options

Dave

Agreed, that compression war needs to stop. Music isnt supposed to be 100% loudness. It's the alternation between loud and quiet moment that gives music its dynamic. I think Avocado overall is too loud an album (doesnt necessarily take away from the quality of the songs, songwriting).
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    Agreed, that compression war needs to stop. Music isnt supposed to be 100% loudness. It's the alternation between loud and quiet moment that gives music its dynamic. I think Avocado overall is too loud an album (doesnt necessarily take away from the quality of the songs, songwriting).

Agreed.....

There's hardly any change in dynamics on the whole album, renderring it very 2D.....

Think of Sometimes into Hail, Hail.......I want that experience back as a listener.....
  • Options
    Agreed.....

There's hardly any change in dynamics on the whole album, renderring it very 2D.....

Think of Sometimes into Hail, Hail.......I want that experience back as a listener.....

Yeah, but oddly enough, I think aside from Avocado, Hail Hail os one of the most compressed tracks in their discography. That song has basically a single loudness level throughout with lots of clipping. But still, at least there is variation between a punker like Hail Hail and Sometimes.

I think that Illustration tells the whole story of the modern music industry. I had hoped PJ would take a backseat in the loudness war though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    Yeah, but oddly enough, I think aside from Avocado, Hail Hail os one of the most compressed tracks in their discography. That song has basically a single loudness level throughout with lots of clipping. But still, at least there is variation between a punker like Hail Hail and Sometimes.

I think that Illustration tells the whole story of the modern music industry. I had hoped PJ would take a backseat in the loudness war though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif

yeah, maybe my example wasnt great.....

Pilate off of Yield has great dynamics.....And Given To Fly

actually that album is my favourite in terms of production......

Ive also found Ed's voice low in the mix on the 3 albums since Yield.....
  • Options
    STLJOESTLJOE St. Louis, MO Posts: 132
    I love the Avocado. Great album by the greatest American rock band. Period.
    3/14/94; 4/22/03; 7/9/03; 10/5/04; 5/17/06; 8/2/07; 8/5/07; 8/23/09; 5/4/10; 5/9/10; 5/20/10; 5/21/10; 9/3/11; 9/4/11; 9/2/12; 9/21/12; 7/19/13; 11/15/13; 11/16/13; 12/4/13; 12/6/13
  • Options
    Hey Hey, Vitalogy was punk, not grunge! Ten was their only album which could be considered grunge. Thank for showing love for the latest ALbum.

Agreed.
    so boys......where do you want me?