Options

pearl jam was SOOOOOOO much better than green day.

Comments

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

...how is your join date 1999?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    how is yours 2005?

E

L

A

B

O

R

A

T

E
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    how is yours 2005?

E

L

A

B

O

R

A

T

E

was there even a forum in 1999 to join?
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    i think the notoriety and recognition would be worth more to me than the money... but thats just my take as an artist... i can understand how the money is a nice perk... but just that wouldnt be enough for me
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    how is yours 2005?

E

L

A

B

O

R

A

T

E

I've only been posting for a couple months, but been a member since 94 or 95, my membership lapsed when I didn't have a computer and I was re-instated in 1999
  • Options
    That was the second time I've seen that Green Day song played live and I really like it. It's fun. It isn't in depth, but "punk" was never meant to be. I do think they outplayed PJ, but with the sound all mucked up we'll never know for sure. For these two performances, Green Day was better; but that is the exception to the rule. PJ still rocks, I don't take this to be the beginning of the end by any means.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    i think the notoriety and recognition would be worth more to me than the money... but thats just my take as an artist... i can understand how the money is a nice perk... but just that wouldnt be enough for me

Yeah, I hear you.I'd be thrilled to just get on a bus every night and play again....
  • Options
    its when you joined the ten club.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options

CJMST3K wrote:
    oh please let it rain today wrote:
    how is yours 2005?

E

L

A

B

O

R

A

T

E

I've only been posting for a couple months, but been a member since 94 or 95, my membership lapsed when I didn't have a computer and I was re-instated in 1999

correct
  • Options
    ha... the real joke here is DMB is playing JIMMY FALON :lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199

Actually no.

I joined the club in January 2000, and my join date that is listed is what??? April 28th 2005.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,412

CJMST3K wrote:
    how is yours 2005?

E

L

A

B

O

R

A

T

E

correct

that can't be true. Then mine should say 1997.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Hey, it's 10C's fuck up then.........not anyone who is on this board....... ;)
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Green Day's performance was wonderful. It had all the elements of throwaway, shouty "Oi" punk and good fun that I like about Sham 69, while being poppy to perfection. They have one of those great choruses that ironically even gets the "enemy" singing along. They had total command of that mainstream little TV studio audience, and they played with joy.

I'm not even a Green Day fan, but I think it's sour grapes to deny the obvious fact that Green Day entertained and shone during their performance. And even if you're the biggest PJ fan in the world, keen to defend their Monday performance (as I have been to an extent), you can't say they shone like that: there was a decided joylessness about the whole proceedings. Come on, tell the truth. The mountains won't fall and lightning won't strike you dead.
  • Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    Green Day's performance was wonderful. It had all the elements of throwaway, shouty "Oi" punk and good fun that I like about Sham 69, while being poppy to perfection. They have one of those great choruses that ironically even gets the "enemy" singing along. They had total command of that mainstream little TV studio audience, and they played with joy.

I'm not even a Green Day fan, but I think it's sour grapes to deny the obvious fact, that Green Day entertained and shone during their performance. And even if you're the biggest PJ fan in the world, keen to defend their Monday performance (as I have been to an extent), you can't say they shone like that: there was a decided joylessness about the whole proceedings. Come on, tell the truth. The mountains won't fall and lightning won't strike you dead.

a joylessness to PJ's performance?? :o what? I definitely do not agree. I didn't see Green Day, nor do I care who was "better". PJ's performance was awesome though! All the guys were getting into it! There looked to be plenty of passion on that stage my friend.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    glb wrote:

I'm not even a Green Day fan, but I think it's sour grapes to deny the obvious fact, that Green Day entertained and shone during their performance. And even if you're the biggest PJ fan in the world, keen to defend their Monday performance (as I have been to an extent), you can't say they shone like that: there was a decided joylessness about the whole proceedings. Come on, tell the truth. The mountains won't fall and lightning won't strike you dead.

a joylessness to PJ's performance?? :o what? I definitely do not agree. I didn't see Green Day, nor do I care who was "better". PJ's performance was awesome though! All the guys were getting into it! There looked to be plenty of passion on that stage my friend.

There's a big difference between "passion" and joy.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    over_bends wrote:
    Do you know your enemy?
    Do you know your enemy?
    Do you know your enemy?

Oh really?

I thought he was singing...." Do you know I'm your enema".

My bad.

I guess it was a lyrical mishap for my ears. Or maybe, it's that song sounding and feeling like an enema.
  • Options
    glb wrote:

There's a big difference between "passion" and joy.
    im with ya... i think theres a certain level of serious business that goes into debuting a new song... its not like when theyre touring and have played every song enough to relax and have fun with it... i think that will only continue to improve between now and tour time... too bad they werent able to "wow" people the way alot of us were hoping the conan performance would... but i guess we'll just keep them to ourselves

• Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    Technically the sound mix was much better for GD. Worked some bugs out.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,629
    I'm kind of dreading this but in July I am taking my niece to MSG to see Green Day as a HS graduation present. The only cool thing is that the majority of the venue is assigned seats except for a 'pit area' right in front of the stage where its GA and thats the tickets I got. So she's gonna piss her pants w/excitement and I'm gonna wear ear plugs.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    It hurts me to say it but as I watched Green Day I was saying to myself... this is a better, tighter performance.

I also have to say... Ed should maybe try and find some shirts that fit. I know its no fashion show but those short short sleeve shirts look a little funny. That's all.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    But Green Day went into the audience! People love that.

I have the new GD album but have only listened to it a couple times so far. I agree Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns (the two songs they did on SNL) are the worst ones on the album. Enemy is soooo repetitive and "been there heard that"
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    URthekey wrote:
    I'm kind of dreading this but in July I am taking my niece to MSG to see Green Day as a HS graduation present. The only cool thing is that the majority of the venue is assigned seats except for a 'pit area' right in front of the stage where its GA and thats the tickets I got. So she's gonna piss her pants w/excitement and I'm gonna wear ear plugs.

Someone else can probably clarify for me ... but I heard they start the show by playing all 18 songs off the new album in order ... is this true?

And if so, how boring.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,318
    URthekey wrote:

I would advise you to listen to the new CD a few times and attend the show with an open mind. I did that after getting a ticket to see them at Webster Hall, after never really being a fan, and the show blew my mind.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,318
    URthekey wrote:

Someone else can probably clarify for me ... but I heard they start the show by playing all 18 songs off the new album in order ... is this true?

And if so, how boring.

When I saw them they did about nine in a row, but I bet in the bigger arenas they'll play the whole album. But I doubt it's boring -- the album flows really well and has a lot of dynamic songs. It'll be over before you know it, then they'll slam you with all the big recognizable hits.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    TipJammer wrote:
    It hurts me to say it but as I watched Green Day I was saying to myself... this is a better, tighter performance.

I also have to say... Ed should maybe try and find some shirts that fit. I know its no fashion show but those short short sleeve shirts look a little funny. That's all.

Even though it's not a fashion show, should Ed also wear guyliner?
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    URthekey wrote:

And if so, how boring.

When I saw them they did about nine in a row, but I bet in the bigger arenas they'll play the whole album. But I doubt it's boring -- the album flows really well and has a lot of dynamic songs. It'll be over before you know it, then they'll slam you with all the big recognizable hits.

I guess. I suppose I'd just hate going into a show knowing what the first 18 songs in a row were going to be. Pearl Jam has spoiled me.

Green Day is coming to my city, but I haven't bought tickets. I saw them like 13 years ago on the Insomniac tour and it was one of the best shows I saw during my college career. I'm just sort of dubious of this new "rock opera" direction these guys seem stuck on.

American Idiot was cute.
    I'm not sure I can handle another one.
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

CJMST3K wrote:
    how is yours 2005?

E

L

A

B

O

R

A

T

E

correct

that can't be true. Then mine should say 1997.

I know. Mine would say 1995 or so.

hmm...
  • Options
    CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    I thought GD was good but I loved the new PJ song. Cant wait for the full album.
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Say what you will about Green Day... It all comes down to personal taste. People that say they suck doesn't mean anything other thant that one person thinks they suck... just as the person who says 'Pearl Jam sucks' doesn't make it true for anyone other than that one person.
    I just saw the Green Day warm-up show at the Fonda Theater last night and they are great (in my personal opinion).
    and think about this... if you hate it then you hear people say, "Oh, Pearl Jam is washed up." or "Pearl Jam sucks." and think that person is a douchebag... then, you turn around and say the same thing about another band... you are placing yourself in the same bag as the other person... with the rest of the douches.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!