Options

pearl jam was SOOOOOOO much better than green day.

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited June 2009 in The Porch
lol that was pathetic.
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Do you know your enemy?
    Do you know your enemy?
    Do you know your enemy?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Keep drinking the Kool-Aid dude. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,185
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone else think the new Green Day song sounds like Last Exit in the beginning (mainly drums)? Sorry if a million people have already said this.

Edit: I was thinking Last Exit, but put Not For You
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    greenmannygreenmanny Posts: 766
    edited June 2009
    They've officially played "Know Your Enemy" 1700 times (slight exaggeration) on tv. It's time to move on to another song.
    Post edited by greenmanny on
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,758
    Does anyone else think the new Green Day song sounds like Not For You in the beginning (mainly drums)? Sorry if a million people have already said this.

i thought it sounded like devo
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Does anyone else think the new Green Day song sounds like Not For You in the beginning (mainly drums)? Sorry if a million people have already said this.

If I was going to put those drums towards any PJ song, it would be Last Exit ... but, that's about all that sounds like anything Pearl Jam

that song is bad. really bad.

I saw them do it on some late night show (Colbert maybe?) Just boring as all get out. It's weak, even for them.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    you know what i dont get... what incentive is there for the other guitarist that does all the real work but isnt actually in the band??? like green days songs are really that hard to play and sing at the same time? :roll:

its the lamest thing ive ever seen

great episode though other than them... the rodeo road sketch was hilarious
    miss yesterdays episode, but didnt sense any of the nervousness in conan i had heard about here
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    you know what i dont get... what incentive is there for the other guitarist that does all the real work but isnt actually in the band??? like green days songs are really that hard to play and sing at the same time? :roll:

miss yesterdays episode, but didnt sense any of the nervousness in conan i had heard about here

His opening was much better tonight and yes the Rodeo Rd sketch was good. I'm debating about staying up to see Green Day. Now after reading this thread, I think I'll just go to sleep after I finish the wine I'm drinking.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    sgossard3 wrote:

Just like Nirvana and Pat Smear. Green Day also had a backup singer standing almost off stage. :roll:
  • Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    sgossard3 wrote:

What incentive is there for him? How about, he gets to tour with one of the biggest bands in the world and make enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life. Is that enough incentive?
  • Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    A kid i went to high school with plays bass for the f'n Jonas brothers. He's not complaining. He actually co wrote a few songs. While that sound completely blah, he now owns a portion of some of their songs. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    greenmanny wrote:
    They've officially played "Know Your Enemy" 1700 times (slight exaggeration) on tv. It's time to move on to another song.

exactly. as soon as i heard the opening drums, i changed the channel. how about a DIFFERENT song fellas?
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 New Jersey Posts: 300
    "i thought it sounded like devo"

HA! LMFAO!
  • Options
    what an awful song that is from green day

utter rubbish
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    i'm not a huge green day fan, but i didn't think they sounded that bad and i thought it was cool that he gave

conan a guitar.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,318
    The shame of it is, the rest of that album is incredible, but people who would probably like the album won't bother because of this single.

And the people who like the single will buy the album and hate it...

:lol:
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    lol that was pathetic.
    THAN MADONNA TOOOOOO
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    sgossard3 wrote:

The other guitarist probably makes around $10,000 per week, and gets to travel the world in style.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    FW46778 wrote:
    A kid i went to high school with plays bass for the f'n Jonas brothers. He's not complaining. He actually co wrote a few songs. While that sound completely blah, he now owns a portion of some of their songs. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Probably gets a ton of pussy too.
  • Options
    FW46778 wrote:

im sure the whole band is forced to wear promise rings :lol:

and as far as the other green day guitarist... the incentive is pretty obvious (bad choice of words in my last post)... just odd that they dont include him as an official part of the band... its not like boom or something... he does a majority of the work

plus it has more to do with me thinking billy joe is a talentless prick 8-)

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    sgossard3 wrote:
    FW46778 wrote:

im sure the whole band is forced to wear promise rings :lol:
    Not for long. I heard they've got a bone to pick with Mickey. :lol:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    vic in T.O.vic in T.O. Posts: 385
    I didnt see the Green Day performance on Conan but the DJ here on our local radio station (102.1) said that green day blew Pearl jam out of the water and all ive been hearing on the radio the past 2 days is how horrible PJ was on Conan and they are washed up.
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I didn't see them on Conan but I thought they did good on The Colbert Report, they sang some lyrics that were part of a song Colbert made up and wanted them to sing it was funny.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Does anyone else think the new Green Day song sounds like Last Exit in the beginning (mainly drums)? Sorry if a million people have already said this.

Edit: I was thinking Last Exit, but put Not For You

I would never confuse one for the other, but the drum intro is similar. Trey is using two sticks on the snare, whereas Dave is playing the hi hat at the same time as the snare. Again, very similar sound though.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    TooMuchBloodTooMuchBlood Posts: 312
    Yes, PJ's performance was much better. Pearl Jam just comes off as if they're squeezing out the last pint of their blood on stage. Live or die, they're laying it all out there for you to experience without drawing attention to it. And I like Ed's front-man style better than anyone's in history.

I have to say, though, the new Green Day record is awesome. There is not a single terrible song. They are playing all 70 minutes and 18 songs during their first set. That is pretty incredible considering how high-energy the music is.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I have to say, though, the new Green Day record is awesome. There is not a single terrible song. They are playing all 70 minutes and 18 songs during their first set. That is pretty incredible considering how high-energy the music is.

Actually, if you want to be really impressed, go check out the Decemberists on this tour as they pull off their new album from front to back in its entirety. All of them are far more talented musicians that Green Day ... it's a concept album so it makes sense to play it all, several different lead vocalists, people switching instruments ... hardly, if ever, missing a beat ... THAT was pretty special!

(Then they came on to play another 45 - 60 minutes)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    TooMuchBloodTooMuchBlood Posts: 312
    jimed14 wrote:

Actually, if you want to be really impressed, go check out the Decemberists on this tour as they pull off their new album from front to back in its entirety. All of them are far more talented musicians that Green Day ... it's a concept album so it makes sense to play it all, several different lead vocalists, people switching instruments ... hardly, if ever, missing a beat ... THAT was pretty special!

Uh, the Green Day record is a concept record, too. And I don't think they'll play it not in order. Yes, I'm familiar with the Decemberists. I know they're talented, but I don't listen to them much. Maybe I'll have to go back and dig up the records I have (the second and third, I think). Switching instruments is cool, and the Decemberists probably got that from Neutral Milk Hotel, which got it from someone before them.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

saw them on the crane wife tour... would love to see them again... especially if theyre playing the whole new CD from beginning to end... havent listened to it as much as i shouldve (lost in my typical new music catch up routine) but i definitely liked it after my first few listens... very talented band... and just fuckin FUN love

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    FW46778 wrote:

"Hey, baby, I'm in Green Day."

"Are you Billie Joe Armstrong?"

"Nope."

"Mike Dirnt?"

"Nope"

"Tre Cool?"

"Nope. But I really am in Green Day."

"Fucking liar." ~throws drink in face~

:)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    sgossard3 wrote:

what incentive is there for the other guitarist that does all the real work but isnt actually in the band???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Post edited by Snoopy Died For Our Sins on
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."