Options

My Son the PJ Hater: I Believe In Miracles

2»

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    If your son thought PJ sucked BEFORE now... and THIS song makes him give them a chance... I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but his taste in music sucks ;)

Do you listen to TOOL?

No. I used to. They're alright, but I find most of their songs all sound pretty much the same to me. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    And I'm with your other post... what teenager DOESN'T take the "my parents are lame" stance? I gave my dad so much shit for his love for car talk radio and Elton John... had nothing to do with disrespect!

my parents love big band, 40's music...my dad loves country....i hated it when i was a kid....now....i love frank sintra, johnny cash etc....whatever your parents like, you don't...it's part of being a teenager :)
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    norm wrote:
    And I'm with your other post... what teenager DOESN'T take the "my parents are lame" stance? I gave my dad so much shit for his love for car talk radio and Elton John... had nothing to do with disrespect!

my parents love big band, 40's music...my dad loves country....i hated it when i was a kid....now....i love frank sintra, johnny cash etc....whatever your parents like, you don't...it's part of being a teenager :)

i listened to a bunch of my dad's shit as a teenager. best of the doors, the zeppelin records he had...i even gave uriah heap a try (thought they were solid at the time). some of his stuff sucked...i was never a rebel for the sake of being a rebel, i always just liked what i like.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    IamMine wrote:
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    jesus christ whatsup with all these old people?
    haha kidding kidding.

:mrgreen:

What's up with little kids here on the board... go outside and play! kidding here too... it's good to have young people here offering their perspectives!
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    Even though im sixteen my parents and I have mainly the same taste in music we both love PJ and other bands like me and my dad are always talking about our favorite music like elliott smith, the wallflowers, etc.!
    I also like some of the same music as my grandma like Talking Heads, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, stuff like that..

we like a lot of similar music too... including my mother, his grandmother. :)

For some reason, PJ is pretty much excluded. :S
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    I don't care if I listen to the same music as my parents I mean its music
    Do you think your son just said he don't like em because his parents like em?

I think its cool your son likes the new PJ! He doesn't like any of their older albums? Not even Yield? :(

That's what my husband thinks and I thought so too...but I'm convinced otherwise. His argument is "because they all sound the same" - yes, even Yield.

I even showed him your post just now and asked him if he'd give Yield another chance - he was listening to "Got Some" when I asked him and he chose "No Way" and still stood by his statement.

At least he likes the new song. :) And I am happy about that! :mrgreen:
    awwwh! i love no way.
    Hahah well its cool he likes the new song hopefully he likes the new album.

But he says all of PJ sounds the same? Has he even heard that much? I mean you said hes into Nirvana? They are grungey too and I'd argue their stuff has less variety then PJ.
    I mean its cool if he dont like PJ everyone got their own tastes but it seems PJ has more variety than those other grunge artists.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    That´s a cool story. Maybe he will start listening to other albums and like them (not only PJ).

Something similar happened to me and my younger brother w/ audioslave. He hated soundgarden, specially cornell. He was like 12 yrs old when he heard a friend of mine thrash cornell´s singing. I love soundgarden, but everytime i was listening to one of their songs my little brother thrashed cornell also.

At the time (and still) he worshiped AC-DC and rage vs the machine. When rage split up and news came up of chris joining in, my brother screamed and was sure it was going to suck. We talked about it so many times in those days.

I was with him when he first heard cochise (the video), and literally his jaw was wide opened when he heard the first 20 sec. I bought the album right away, but he bought the last two albums. Go figure.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

i listened to a bunch of my dad's shit as a teenager. best of the doors, the zeppelin records he had...i even gave uriah heap a try (thought they were solid at the time). some of his stuff sucked...i was never a rebel for the sake of being a rebel, i always just liked what i like.

looking back, i've realized that i like most of the music they liked, but me being a teenager, i just couldn't like the things my parents liked...luckily, i had older brothers and sisters to influence me as to the bands you mentioned and more... i was lucky to be born when i did :D
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    my parents love big band, 40's music...my dad loves country....i hated it when i was a kid....now....i love frank sintra, johnny cash etc....whatever your parents like, you don't...it's part of being a teenager :)[/quote]

i listened to a bunch of my dad's shit as a teenager. best of the doors, the zeppelin records he had...i even gave uriah heap a try (thought they were solid at the time). some of his stuff sucked...i was never a rebel for the sake of being a rebel, i always just liked what i like.[/quote]

looking back, i've realized that i like most of the music they liked, but me being a teenager, i just couldn't like the things my parents liked...luckily, i had older brothers and sisters to influence me as to the bands you mentioned and more... i was lucky to be born when i did :D[/quote]

i was born in '84, my music taste should suck. i did say pearl jam sucks when i was 8....by 10 they were my favorite band. i remember making my mom buy me vitalogy the day it came out...i can only hope my kids are as cool as me.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,304
    my sis s carring a baby,,in six months is coming,,the onesie of pearl jam is already waiting,,,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    My son is a PJ hater too...I just think he's pissed because I spent the vacation money on EV/PJ tickets for myself. :oops:
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    My son is a PJ hater too...I just think he's pissed because I spent the vacation money on EV/PJ tickets for myself. :oops:
    HAHAHAH :lol: thats awesome.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

;)

This is something I wouldn't dare to discuss with my husband... at least *gulps* the time being.

I got excited with the bonus song from Conan's show... and showed Tyler the video. He has been listening/watching the "Got Some" video a lot since then!! :mrgreen:

*excitedly clicks*

Uh oh....he didn't seem pleased.

"Sounds the same like the others..."

*tries hard not to get personal and defensive*

"Oh?.... What do you mean - sounds like the others...?"

"Like their previous albums..."

I did not expect the upcoming comment after that:

"Sounds just like dad when he sings."

:cry:

I think I see a possible connection.... he's annoyed with his dad - and me, too. I do know it too...but to that point where he associates PJ with us - his feelings about us?

That's not a good feeling, especially as a parent.

I've noticed the kids associating EV with their dad because of a few "similarities" which I don't feel comfortable pointing out because people form opinions too easily based on one thing or another.

I just sat there feeling dumbfounded and a "failure" for lack of a better word.

Then I came up with the idea of disassociating PJ/EV with his father (to clarify something here - it's not that he has a bad relationship with his father but more of annoyance in certain situations with us :P
    I NEVER said we were the perfect parents so sue me):

"Hey...what if you know, you took your girlfriend to see PJ live? I don't mean you'd have to sit by either me or father.... you two could be yourselves elsewhere in the audience? That way you could see PJ for yourself."

"Yeah...but that depends on how their new album turns out. We'll see."

Okay, no problem....

*sighs*

Now I'm hoping the new album blows him away and get him to appreciate PJ in his own way - separate from his freak parents. :cry:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    He's a teen...of course he's annoyed with his parents. I think thats part of the definition of teenager...written in invisible ink of course. My son is 14 and drips with cynicism (which i secretly find hysterical). Just accept that he thinks you both are complete idiots and will until his early 20's. It sucks but thems the rules.

Oh...and because of the hell that teenagers put you through, spend the vacation money on yourself occasionally.

8-)
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    He's a teen...of course he's annoyed with his parents. I think thats part of the definition of teenager...written in invisible ink of course. My son is 14 and drips with cynicism (which i secretly find hysterical). Just accept that he thinks you both are complete idiots and will until his early 20's. It sucks but thems the rules.

Oh...and because of the hell that teenagers put you through, spend the vacation money on yourself occasionally.

8-)

No kidding. I think the OP is kinda overreacting here... just because the kid doesn't like PJ he hates his parents? Come on. It's kinda wearisome anytime someone tries to push something on you you don't enjoy. No need to take it personal.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

8-)

No kidding. I think the OP is kinda overreacting here... just because the kid doesn't like PJ he hates his parents? Come on. It's kinda wearisome anytime someone tries to push something on you you don't enjoy. No need to take it personal.

:) You are right, maybe I am overreacting but not because he "hates" his parents... just his feelings about us that he associates with PJ. You know when something reminds you of someone and you make a negative reaction? That's the feeling I got. Not because of PJ that upsets me, no.

But yeah I might be overreacting here. :)

I hope that feeling goes away....when he hugs me on his own. :P I know he's a teenager and it is not cool for teenagers to hug their parents - I certainly didn't want to at that age either.

He's going to be gone on his own in a few years and I'm going to miss him terribly - even if he hates PJ. I don't care about that at all. :P

EDIT: I also want to add that we do NOT push him on something he does not enjoy, namely PJ. I hope I did not give out that kind of impression here.
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• Options

8-)

I know... my mother says it's my payback for how I treated her during my teens. I didn't believe I was that bad until she told me on the phone tonight in details....oh, I remember now. :P She said she felt the same way as I am feeling now.

And while I completely agree with you, I just cannot help feeling like I screwed up somehow.

Yeah, I've seen him making a comment to his friends that his parents were idiots and lame. :P

Enjoy your little ones...their adoring days of you are pretty short! :mrgreen:
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    [/quote]
    LOL! Poor kids!
    :lol:
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Don't sweat it sister...it's painful. I completely relate and wasn't trying to convey that youre overreacting. I will say, I remember as a kid my parents worshipped Bob Dylan. Day in & Day out...that voice on the stereo. It was nails on a chalkboard...couldn't understand what the hell they saw in him. Dorks.

I now have no less than 30 Dylan tracks on my Ipod. Go figure.
  • Options
    Don't sweat it sister...it's painful. I completely relate and wasn't trying to convey that youre overreacting. I will say, I remember as a kid my parents worshipped Bob Dylan. Day in & Day out...that voice on the stereo. It was nails on a chalkboard...couldn't understand what the hell they saw in him. Dorks.

I now have no less than 30 Dylan tracks on my Ipod. Go figure.

It is indeed painful and it isn't easy but I'm dealing with it...

And I didn't take your comment to say I was overreacting - it was soulsinging's. I realized when he pointed that out and I re-read my comment that lead to his assessment, that I might have and also from talking to my mom. :P

I am being more sensitive than usual, I suppose...

...or is it that age thing? Both? Ha!
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    OMG Mel thats AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey who knows...maybe if they tour next year he'll be wanting you to get him tix to a show?? lol
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz