Options

My Son the PJ Hater: I Believe In Miracles

IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
edited June 2009 in The Porch
The famous saying goes, “You know your child better than anyone.”

Whoever started that was as delusional as I am.

Our oldest son, who will turn 16 on June 11th, spent nearly all his life mocking his parents for being in love with Pearl Jam – and Pearl Jam themselves. You don’t want to know the things he has said.

However, we’ve raised our children to respect diversity of people with different views/opinions/cultures/beliefs/musical tastes and whatnot. It’s just the parents Tyler has been “mean” to – he even taped over the “Ten Club” logo on the backpack I loaned him for the school year.

After our daughter’s softball game, I came home to watch and listen to “Got Some” again on Tonight Show’s website.

Tyler walked up to me and asked if I liked the new song. I sat there in silence, preparing for the sarcastic remarks.

I exhaled and said, “Well, at first I didn’t because the sound quality was terrible on the show last night and then finally there was better quality of the video here on NBC’s site…it’s growing on me and I’m liking it more and more.”

I jokingly asked if he wanted to listen to it, expecting him to make facial expressions along with sarcastic remarks.

“Yeah.” :shock:

Was he pulling my leg? I looked at his face, expecting “I was just kidding!” or something like that.

I clicked and looked over….he was listening!

Maybe he’ll change his mind after 30 seconds...

He was still listening and focused. And responded.

No way…

It ended and he was still standing there. “I think I am actually going to listen to this CD.”

jaw_dropper.gif

Pearl Jam…despite all the criticisms you’ve received from some people, you’ve performed a miracle on our son!

worshipper.gif
JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
EV: It's your band.
~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Right on. Good stuff bro . . .
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,932
    That is so cool. Sounds like your little boy is growing up :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    wow...i praise you
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    If your son thought PJ sucked BEFORE now... and THIS song makes him give them a chance... I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but his taste in music sucks ;)
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Very cool indeed!
    MY older daughters are not really into pj at all , sort of the same way with your son but they do respect them in a sense. There are certain songs they can tolerate and others they don't get at all which is fine by me as long as they are willing to occasionally open their ears.
    My little one really digs pearl jam and says her three favorite things are "Chocolate, Tuna and Pearl Jam", lol.
    She definitely is developing similar musical tastes to myself. I decided to download a ton of different songs on her mp3 player which might help to shape her mind.
    I've tried to expose her to not just Pearl Jam but other bands that have been incredibly important and have impacted my life.
    Bands like
    Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, Clapton, Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sonic Youth, The White Stripes, The Black Keys, QOTSA, Public Enemy, Micheal Jackson, The Who, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag, Nirvana, Soundgarden, The Pumpkins etc...
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    If your son thought PJ sucked BEFORE now... and THIS song makes him give them a chance... I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but his taste in music sucks ;)
    C'mon. No need to hate here.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    yeah the song grew on me after listening it a few more times....My oldest daughter is almost the same way She is 15 made fun of me about pearl jam for a long time...Could not understand why I liked them so much..Now she is digging them a little more each month. It is kinda weird
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    :) Thanks for the nice comments!
    VOLITION wrote:
    I've tried to expose her to not just Pearl Jam but other bands that have been incredibly important and have impacted my life.
    Bands like
    Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, Clapton, Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sonic Youth, The White Stripes, The Black Keys, QOTSA, Public Enemy, Micheal Jackson, The Who, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag, Nirvana, Soundgarden, The Pumpkins etc...

Many of those are what he listens to also...Nirvana is one of his favorites. He also likes the early grunge music...but not PJ. Hubby said it was because of the fact we were the "parents". I don't know...it seems that way but apparently he really didn't like PJ. At one time, he liked a few songs off Binaural...but then grew out of that.

As for other parents like you and giventofly75 with teenagers...I'm beginning to wonder if PJ is bringing parents and their teenagers closer.

I think that is really beautiful - especially if most teenagers are like mine - better communication through music.

I noticed that we have better communication and connections when music is involved - whether it's playing, listening, or discussing.

Interesting.... :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    yeah the song grew on me after listening it a few more times....My oldest daughter is almost the same way She is 15 made fun of me about pearl jam for a long time...Could not understand why I liked them so much..Now she is digging them a little more each month. It is kinda weird

I know!! :mrgreen:

I am really curious to see how this goes the next few months...especially in the fall!
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    My ex husband was/is a big fan. My new husband....not so much. It's really depressing & I can't stand it. Everything that was "wrong" about my ex husband is non-existent in my new husband but his one flaw is.....HE DOESN'T LIKE PEARL JAM! This may be cause to rethink this marriage. :roll:
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 336
    i think you suck! everything you post is negative, fuck off then! Why pay your money to be a knob all the time? :evil:
  • Options
    Haijay wrote:
    i think you suck! everything you post is negative, fuck off then! Why pay your money to be a knob all the time? :evil:

i agree, soulsinging needs to chill out. he is an asshole in most of his posts.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Haijay wrote:

i agree, soulsinging needs to chill out. he is an asshole in most of his posts.

i dont really know soulsinging but i think he was being a tad sarcastic
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Well, its great to hear that the new generation likes it! If they've accomplished at least that - I'm happy :D
  • Options
    IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    IamMine wrote:

Our oldest son, who will turn 16 on June 11th, spent nearly all his life mocking his parents for being in love with Pearl Jam – and Pearl Jam themselves. You don’t want to know the things he has said.

However, we’ve raised our children to respect diversity of people with different views/opinions/cultures/beliefs/musical tastes and whatnot. It’s just the parents Tyler has been “mean” to – he even taped over the “Ten Club” logo on the backpack I loaned him for the school year.

After our daughter’s softball game, I came home to watch and listen to “Got Some” again on Tonight Show’s website.

Tyler walked up to me and asked if I liked the new song. I sat there in silence, preparing for the sarcastic remarks.

I exhaled and said, “Well, at first I didn’t because the sound quality was terrible on the show last night and then finally there was better quality of the video here on NBC’s site…it’s growing on me and I’m liking it more and more.”

I jokingly asked if he wanted to listen to it, expecting him to make facial expressions along with sarcastic remarks.

Was he pulling my leg? I looked at his face, expecting “I was just kidding!” or something like that.

No way…

It ended and he was still standing there. “I think I am actually going to listen to this CD.”

jaw_dropper.gif

Pearl Jam…despite all the criticisms you’ve received from some people, you’ve performed a miracle on our son!

worshipper.gif

I'm afraid to say that's the proof PJ is selling out.
    I'm kidding :lol::lol::lol:
    Good for your son. Hope he will like the new album
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902

Again, why are you here if you do not like modern day Pearl Jam?

With all due respect to the OP but why is your son afraid of Pearl Jam? Why the lack of respect to his parents growing up? I never disrespected anything my parents were into to their face. Sounds like a punk 16 year old.

He should feel privileged he's able to finally get it.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    satansbed wrote:

i dont really know soulsinging but i think he was being a tad sarcastic

He's been trashing the song and the band. His post is in step with his attitude.
  • Options
    zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    Thats great!
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PearlJamInMySoul - sorry to hear about the "major" flaw in your new husband - but if two truly love each other, then compromises are inevitable. You have this board to share your PJ love. :)

Music For Rhinos - HI!!! Saw one of your posts that you are going to chicago - sweet! Have a blast, friend!

IGotShit-76 - ;) Funny!

zacman13245 - thanks! :mrgreen:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    With all due respect to the OP but why is your son afraid of Pearl Jam? Why the lack of respect to his parents growing up? I never disrespected anything my parents were into to their face. Sounds like a punk 16 year old.

You know the saying: "When you point your finger at someone, there are three fingers pointing back at you"

*raises hand* I'm guilty as well. I've made some assumptions that sometimes lead me to make quick judgments.

I am not going to defend my son by explaining how we parent or how he really is as a person. All I can say is that he's a good kid and a very brilliant kid.

All of our four children have different personalities - even different beliefs. It's interesting to see them challenging each other in some areas but I make sure respect is taken place.

It's easy to say things like "I wouldn't do that or this if I was a parent (or become one)" or "this is how I do with my kids and it works."

So... anyway I showed Tyler the thread this morning and he smiled - even at soulsinging's comment. :P

I told him I was really looking forward to his take on the new album this fall and that I would respect his opinions regardless.

And that I'd sign him up with 10c if he enjoys the new album - but it's his decision.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Have a great day!
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472

Wow, I'm feeling young here. Everyone is talking about their kids, all around 15 or 16, and I'm probably one of the youngest on these boards at 20 years old. It's kind of cool, though, to see how music can make a connection between people of all ages. I think this band shows that is true more than anything.
  • Options
    mrshock13 wrote:
    Wow, I'm feeling young here. Everyone is talking about their kids, all around 15 or 16, and I'm probably one of the youngest on these boards at 20 years old. It's kind of cool, though, to see how music can make a connection between people of all ages. I think this band shows that is true more than anything.

:mrgreen:

Now, now...don't be making us feel old! Just kidding.

I agree with your last statement. :D
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

Do you listen to TOOL?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759

I'll admit it. I laughed. :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    SolarWorld wrote:

Again, why are you here if you do not like modern day Pearl Jam?

Are you kidding? Sixteen year old are SUPPOSED to think their parents are lame. I'm sure it was all in good fun.

I used to make fun of my dad's receding hairline and expanding waist all the time at that age. So what?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,383
    IamMine wrote:

No way…

jaw_dropper.gif

worshipper.gif
    HE WILL FIND HIS WAY..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    HE WILL FIND HIS WAY..

thanks, dimitrispearljam - yes, he will find his way. :)

Even if he doesn't like PJ... that's ok.

But it would be very cool if he gets into them and I'd be very thrilled! :mrgreen:
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    jesus christ whatsup with all these old people?
    haha kidding kidding.

Even though im sixteen my parents and I have mainly the same taste in music we both love PJ and other bands like me and my dad are always talking about our favorite music like elliott smith, the wallflowers, etc.!
    I also like some of the same music as my grandma like Talking Heads, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, stuff like that..
    I don't care if I listen to the same music as my parents I mean its music
    Do you think your son just said he don't like em because his parents like em?

I think its cool your son likes the new PJ! He doesn't like any of their older albums? Not even Yield? :(
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    jesus christ whatsup with all these old people?
    haha kidding kidding.

:mrgreen:

What's up with little kids here on the board... go outside and play! kidding here too... it's good to have young people here offering their perspectives!
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    Even though im sixteen my parents and I have mainly the same taste in music we both love PJ and other bands like me and my dad are always talking about our favorite music like elliott smith, the wallflowers, etc.!
    I also like some of the same music as my grandma like Talking Heads, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, stuff like that..

we like a lot of similar music too... including my mother, his grandmother. :)

For some reason, PJ is pretty much excluded. :S
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    I don't care if I listen to the same music as my parents I mean its music
    Do you think your son just said he don't like em because his parents like em?

I think its cool your son likes the new PJ! He doesn't like any of their older albums? Not even Yield? :(

That's what my husband thinks and I thought so too...but I'm convinced otherwise. His argument is "because they all sound the same" - yes, even Yield.

I even showed him your post just now and asked him if he'd give Yield another chance - he was listening to "Got Some" when I asked him and he chose "No Way" and still stood by his statement.

At least he likes the new song. :) And I am happy about that! :mrgreen:
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    vedhead19vedhead19 Posts: 89
    I fight this issue everytime I see my younger brother. First off I am 31 and my brother is 24. My brother has over the last five years or so began to to really have a good taste in music and is a musican himself. He claims that all the years growing up listening to the music blarring from my room helped to mold his taste in music. Yet the band I love and cherish more then any other he has absolutley no intrest in. WTF??? I keep thinking it is because he has not seen them live yet there is a part of me that just thinks he just doesn't get it. I would give almost anything for him to get it! I can't see how he can't! Very very very frustrating!! :?:
    are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?

can't escape from the common rule if you hate something, don't you do it too

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

I'll admit it. I laughed. :)

That's all I was going for, since things had gotten so heated with my opinion on the tune, thought a little light-hearted twist was called for. Guess not even the winky could save me!

And I'm with your other post... what teenager DOESN'T take the "my parents are lame" stance? I gave my dad so much shit for his love for car talk radio and Elton John... had nothing to do with disrespect!