What do you guys think about PHISH?

JG108535JG108535 Posts: 184
edited June 2013 in Other Music
I'd like to hear your thoughts.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Are you familiar with any of their stuff?
    Albums?
    Songs?
    Seen em live?
    What comes to mind when Phish is brought up?
  • Options
    nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857
    i've seen them live and enjoyed it. i like their studio stuff as well. lyrically they can be pretty abstract at times. and as far as live goes i enjoy their shorter, more concise jams as opposed to the longer, spacier ones. they do put on a good show though and tend to keep things interesting (i.e. some of the set lists on their NYE shows) last but not least, Trey is an amazing guitar player!!! he can throw it down and really can capture the emotion of their songs as they fall and peak during live jams.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    there's a phish thread in the music forum that you might get better responses from, but
    JG108535 wrote:
    Are you familiar with any of their stuff?
    Albums?
    Songs?
    Seen em live?
    What comes to mind when Phish is brought up?

got familiar with them in 94 or so when a live one came out. yes, i'm a 'bouncing' fan.

saw them here in minneapolis in 99 and again in 00, then not until bonnaroo 09 and again there this year. wish they'd come back here for a show.

billy breathes is a great record, and i lean more towards their later work than their early work, which seems opposite most "phans". i even liked round room quite a bit.

songs:
    first tube
    inlaw josey wales
    waves
    round room
    bouncing around the room
    chalkdust
    stash
    my friend my friend
    sparkle
    ghost
    birds of a feather
    number line
    yem
    tweezer
    gin
    wading in the velvet sea

so, i'm not a phishhead by any means, but i do like them a lot. like i said, i'd wish they'd come back to minneapolis.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Dirty hippies i tell ya :lol: J/K
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    They're good, but I find them to be boring after awhile, like the Dead. Guess I need more pot.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    I know they aren't Pearl Jam and your posting on a Pearl Jam fan website???? :lol:
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    silver39 wrote:
    I know they aren't Pearl Jam and your posting on a Pearl Jam fan website???? :lol:

Are you scolding me in a funny, "ha ha" way?
  • Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    JG108535 wrote:
    silver39 wrote:

i wouldnt say scolding as much as laughing at you and not with you kinda of way :-)
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Phish puts me to sleep.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    They're fucking great. Those guys are incredible, and definitely legends. The four of them are absolute virtuosos at what they do. I've seen PJ 60+ and them around 25 times. I love all good music and will see anyone who people say is good, to check it out and find out for myself why. I first saw them at Dayton's Hara Arena in '94 and have been a fan ever since. I last caught them this past summer in Long Beach and enjoyed a super great show. Those in the know should appreciate their amazing improvisations. Most true musicians love to improv and perform rhythmic jamming. They played a 20-minute plus jam at Long Beach that was so amazing, ground-breaking, and pleasing to hear. I have long wanted to ask Mike or Ed what they think of them too. (So, I think this thread couldn't be more appropriate. I too am interested in what my fellow PJ fans think.) If there are experienced experts who have played a long while together and have earned great success, then I'm all for giving them a chance. I've been with PJ and Phish from their early days and love them both. And for the record, I too love the Dead, Rat Dog etc. I even caught Winwood this past weekend on the same stage I just saw Ed for two nights, the Pearl Theater at the Palms. It was cool to see an awesome 5-piece sit up front on the same stage I had just seen Ed do 2 amazing shows, a week later. (hearing Steve do Mr. Fantasy, and Gimme Some Lovin was super cool btw). So if you're a PJ fan, and have never checked out Phish, give them a try and see what you think. They're 4 nerdballs who are incredible musicians and have a ball doing what they do. And yes, there is no doubt that Trey's playing is absolutely unbelievable. He's touring with his own band right now and if they come near, don't fail to miss them!
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I like Tuna, Halibut and Salmon. I also enjoy Mussels, Scallops, Shrimp and Oysters.
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I like Tuna, Halibut and Salmon. I also enjoy Mussels, Scallops, Shrimp and Oysters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsXtGO4Gkw
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    silver39 wrote:
    JG108535 wrote:
    silver39 wrote:

i wouldnt say scolding as much as laughing at you and not with you kinda of way :-)

So then its fair for me to dub you, in my mind, as the PJ forum Ahole?
    Consider it done, Bruh.

PJ and Phish have alot of similarities in my heart, I want to discuss on the PORCH.

I left this board years ago because of "Holier Than Though"/"I was at the Off Ramp" fans.

Love is all you need....All you need is love.
  • Options
    They're fucking great. Those guys are incredible, and definitely legends. The four of them are absolute virtuosos at what they do. I've seen PJ 60+ and them around 25 times. I love all good music and will see anyone who people say is good, to check it out and find out for myself why. I first saw them at Dayton's Hara Arena in '94 and have been a fan ever since. I last caught them this past summer in Long Beach and enjoyed a super great show. Those in the know should appreciate their amazing improvisations. Most true musicians love to improv and perform rhythmic jamming. They played a 20-minute plus jam at Long Beach that was so amazing, ground-breaking, and pleasing to hear. I have long wanted to ask Mike or Ed what they think of them too. (So, I think this thread couldn't be more appropriate. I too am interested in what my fellow PJ fans think.) If there are experienced experts who have played a long while together and have earned great success, then I'm all for giving them a chance. I've been with PJ and Phish from their early days and love them both. And for the record, I too love the Dead, Rat Dog etc. I even caught Winwood this past weekend on the same stage I just saw Ed for two nights, the Pearl Theater at the Palms. It was cool to see an awesome 5-piece sit up front on the same stage I had just seen Ed do 2 amazing shows, a week later. (hearing Steve do Mr. Fantasy, and Gimme Some Lovin was super cool btw). So if you're a PJ fan, and have never checked out Phish, give them a try and see what you think. They're 4 nerdballs who are incredible musicians and have a ball doing what they do. And yes, there is no doubt that Trey's playing is absolutely unbelievable. He's touring with his own band right now and if they come near, don't fail to miss them!

THIS!!!

Thank you so much for that.
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Phish are great, I am not too familiar with their recorded works but love the tracks/concerts they play on JamON. Gone Phishin' is always a blast.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    They PHAIL at being an enjoyable listen PHOR me.
  • Options
    jamburger wrote:
    They PHAIL at being an enjoyable listen PHOR me.

Check out some studio:
    Story of a Ghost
    Billy Breathes
    Rift
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I think they suck.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Love me some Phish. Top 3-4 band for me.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    gibbits wrote:
    Phish are great, I am not too familiar with their recorded works but love the tracks/concerts they play on JamON. Gone Phishin' is always a blast.

Quite often, Jam On plays mostly new stuff. You gotta dig deeper. Yes, sometimes they play a real true epic jam (I heard Bathtub Gin from The Great Went a few times on there), but most of the stuff they play is from more recent shows. Mostly good stuff, but not mind-blowing.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
  • Options
    Plus: they are a band that pretty much hits up ever genre you can think of. To anyone who says "I hate them" - You can give me a list of bands you like and I can probably find SOMETHING you'll probably enjoy. the caveat being you have to try and listen with an open mind.

Don't base your hatred on the perceived "scene". The music is what matters. When Phish does/did what they do best - no-one has EVER done it as well. In my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    My favorite band. Pearl Jam is #2. cough cough don't tell anyone.
    Fenway 1 & 2 2016
    MSG 1 & 2 2016
    Central Park 2015
    Barclays 2, Seattle 2013
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Boston 1 & 2 2006
    Boston 1 2004
    Augusta 1996
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    Great band - they're on my bucketlist. "Chalkdust Torture" is awesome
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Love them and the entire experience.

They push the music pretty far and can take songs to different levels.
    I wish PJ would do this more often. "Of the Earth" is a taste of this free wheeling idea.

Also, every ticket to a show is a free download of that show. Brilliant!
    Webcasts of many live shows to allow fans who can't make the show part of the experience.
    I wish 10c could/would do that.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    gibbits wrote:

Quite often, Jam On plays mostly new stuff. You gotta dig deeper. Yes, sometimes they play a real true epic jam 9I heard Bathtub Gin from The Great Went a few times on there), but most of the stuff they play is from more recent shows. Mostly good stuff, but not mind-blowing.

HELL YES!!! WENT GIN!!!!
  • Options
    JG108535 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    gibbits wrote:

Quite often, Jam On plays mostly new stuff. You gotta dig deeper. Yes, sometimes they play a real true epic jam 9I heard Bathtub Gin from The Great Went a few times on there), but most of the stuff they play is from more recent shows. Mostly good stuff, but not mind-blowing.

HELL YES!!! WENT GIN!!!!

Went. Gin. OWNS.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Incredibly talented group!

Live shows are a ton of fun!
  • Options
    jfconnorjr wrote:
    Love them and the entire experience.

They push the music pretty far and can take songs to different levels.
    I wish PJ would do this more often. "Of the Earth" is a taste of this free wheeling idea.

Also, every ticket to a show is a free download of that show. Brilliant!
    Webcasts of many live shows to allow fans who can't make the show part of the experience.
    I wish 10c could/would do that.

Love the fact that I can buy a live show for $15 bucks and sit on my couch and RAWK OUT!!!

I fell in love with the Phish and WSP after PJ quit touring the Midwest......I can see them 5-10 times a year without having to book plane tickets to South America......Last PJ show I saw was ST Louis VFC and before that Dallas Tx the previous year. The closest theyve been since is KC......couldnt make that show cause of work......After seeing these two bands, I hear PJ differently.....I like it.
    I'm almost glad PJ quit the Midwest....horizions expanded.(cant believe I just wrote that) This being said, My Wife and I get to catch Ed Sunday in Tulsa!!!!....We are fired up, Ill prob shed tears of joy like I did at my first PJ show.
    My only request would be "Man of the Hour"
    Phish should cover "You Are" or "No Way"
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    edited November 2012
    Love Phish, almost as much as PJ :shh: ........... :lol:

It's much better listening to them playing " live" music for sure. Try listening to Live phish radio streamed from phish.com. You may also be able to download the free Live Bait shows from the site if you register. It's also much, much better experiencing them live. The shows are great (they have lots of fun on stage) & the fans can be quite the entertainers too :crazy:, which "enhances" the whole experience 8-) .

My favorite live songs now in no particular order other than # 1, like PJ they change constantly.

Divided Sky ( my # 1 )
    Stash
    Maze
    Weekapaug Groove
    Chalk Dust Torture
    NICU
    Roggae
    Character Zero
    Reba
    And for some "Latin flavor".......The Landlady

And Phan favorite jams including mine:

Bath Tub Gin
    Tweezer
    Wilson
    David Bowe
    Harry Hood
    You Enjoy Myself
    Ghost

Now You Enjoy Yourself & go to a Phish show ;)
    Post edited by guacamolejoe on
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    Thread has legs.

This makes me happy.

Pearl Jam was my first music love. Phish was my second.

I loath stereotyping, esp in music.