Options

*** MANCHESTER PRE-PARTY ***

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited June 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
PRE-PARTY

So, after some discussion with a few PJ friends this weekend.... I've decided to suggest a pre-party for the Manchester shows again.

In 2009 I arranged the pre-party here:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pub ... manchester

We also had a PJ tribute band in 2009 so maybe we could do that again...

So, the idea is that on the 19th June (Tues) we all pile into the same pub to meet and greet each other, hook up with old friends... Oh and have a drink or 6 ;)

The England vs Ukraine football match (European Championship) will be shown at 19:45 on the evening of the 19th of June at The Moon Under Water... Now although this is good, I'm thinking quite a few people will be watching it and then not coming to the pub afterwards as they'll get settled in the pub they're in, but The Moon Under Water may be very busy. So... What to do?

Personally I think it will be OK as The Moon Under Water is a big pub and as it's a high street chain it shouldn't be too bad (they also have doorstaff). If we still arrange it for here we can watch the football and then all have a drink and a chat. Let me know what y'all think.

Just to make you all aware, due to the football, the band probably won't play

PRE-GIG

Again, in 2009 a lot of people drank here just before the show:

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/theoldw ... anchester/

It's close to the venue and nice for outdoor drinks in June (If I remember rightly people were sitting on the huge steps outside the pub boundries so there will be room enough for us all)

Your thoughts?[/quote]
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Only arriving on the day so no pre-party for me! :(

Apart from that, great idea!

Edit: need a meet up pub before the gig for those not queuing from the crack of dawn!
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Me too Rita, not coming down until the day. But would definately be keen on some afternoon activity.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited January 2012
    Sounds like a FABULOUS idea! I arrive in the UK/Manchester on the 19th so as long as you don't mind me being jetlagged as hell count me in. :)
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    I will be getting into Manchester that night. England play their final Euro 2012 group game that night and not sure if it will be screened in Wetherspoons. I will certainly try and get there after the game and meet up with some fellow Jammers. Around what time would the festivities start?

Can't wait for June! :D
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    ...But would definately be keen on some afternoon activity.

Mike not going to be with you then? ;):mrgreen:
  • Options
    siljosiljo Posts: 2,201
    I'll be there! :)
    Standing on a hill, staring at a mountain...
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    redrock wrote:
    Only arriving on the day so no pre-party for me! :(

Apart from that, great idea!

Edit: need a meet up pub before the gig for those not queuing from the crack of dawn!
    Same for me but hoping to meet plenty of you on both gig days!! :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,236
    The Moon Under Water isn't far from the venue, about a ten minute walk from what I remember. Makes it an ideal location for those of us who'd rather be in the pub than the queue. Most importantly, it's cheap!
    I will be getting into Manchester that night. England play their final Euro 2012 group game that night and not sure if it will be screened in Wetherspoons.

Based on the last 3-4 football tournaments, every game will be shown in Wetherspoons.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Oh go on then, I'll show everyone the burns from where you twisted my arm ;):lol::lol:

It could be a meeting point on gig days too?
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    MN282585MN282585 Posts: 115
    edited January 2012
    We fly in from Germany on 19th in the Morning!
    Only Thing to do is: eat a huge Steak at Hard Rock Café And buy something for the girlfriend ☺

By the Way, is someone staying at STAY INN Salford?
    Post edited by MN282585 on
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Maybe...depends on when our flight gets in.
    I would like to meet fellow 10C members. :D
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I'm not arriving until the day of the gig like some of the others.

Remember last time on the day of the gig folks found a nice pub with an outside area. Any one know which one that was? I didn't go but think from googling and looking at photos it may have been this place?? Sound alright for show days?

pd2519484.jpg
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,236
    chime wrote:

Remember last time on the day of the gig folks found a nice pub with an outside area. Any one know which one that was? I didn't go but think from googling and looking at photos it may have been this place?? Sound alright for show days?

pd2519484.jpg

It's even nearer to the venue than the Moon Under Water, so definitely worth a thought!
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    redrock wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    ...But would definately be keen on some afternoon activity.

Mike not going to be with you then? ;):mrgreen:

:shock: :lol:
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I won't be arriving until the day of the gig :roll: I shall hopefully be in that lovely outdoorsy place when I get there though, hopefully it won't be pissin' rain!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    I only get in the day of the second show, so sadly I will miss this
    but hopefully still catch quite a few of you at the gig!
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    I'm arriving the day of the gig...see you at the outdoorsy place :)

Jen you booked flights yet? Get on my flight ya fecker!!
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    chelsea48chelsea48 Posts: 594
    Jennytree wrote:
    I won't be arriving until the day of the gig :roll: I shall hopefully be in that lovely outdoorsy place when I get there though, hopefully it won't be pissin' rain!
    What colour hair will we be looking for this time Jen :?: :)
  • Options
    chime wrote:

pd2519484.jpg

I remember that.... It's a great pub for gig day as it's so close to the venue... last time we took it over :D

Right so, The Old Wellington for pre-gig. Good work Chimey ;)

I'll investigate times for football as we don't really want to be squeezed into an already packed pub with Manchester's finest Chavs for a football match... I'll keep you posted...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    Original post changed to include football and pre-gig

• Options
    MN282585MN282585 Posts: 115
    Football ob 19th Sounds Good ☺
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    chelsea48 wrote:
    What colour hair will we be looking for this time Jen :?: :)

God only knows :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Arriving on day of 2nd gig (21st) but would be great to meet up with some like minded souls during the day for a soda pop or two

:angel:
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • Options
    Original post changed to include football ....

Football.... :roll:
  • Options
    rabrab Posts: 81
    well, i think that's the thread i should be looking for according to my question in another thread (:

so i'm looking forward to meet you all and spend some nice hours :D - for me it doesn't really matter where the location is ^^

question: it read as if some of you are knowing each other pretty well. is this just from some other "pre parties"? or are there some reallife-friends going around :D

you excuse my maybe-not-so-good-english. i'm trying my best and at least i hope the message is sent, also with some missing words in my vocabulary ^^
    How I choose to feel, is how I am

Vienna Stadthalle - 2006
    Nova Rock Festival - 2007
    Manchester 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2 - 2012
    Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin - 2014
    Padova - 2018
    Vienna - 2020
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    rab wrote:
    question: it read as if some of you are knowing each other pretty well. is this just from some other "pre parties"? or are there some reallife-friends going around :D

you excuse my maybe-not-so-good-english. i'm trying my best and at least i hope the message is sent, also with some missing words in my vocabulary ^^

Some of us met initially at pre-parties or similar events but have become real life friends over the years :mrgreen:

I think about half the people who have posted in this thread are real life friends but if it wasn't for Pearl Jam we wouldn't know each other :shock: :(

Once you have met some of us you can decide whether it is safe to be real life friends with us :twisted: :P
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    chime wrote:

pd2519484.jpg

It's even nearer to the venue than the Moon Under Water, so definitely worth a thought!

This is very, very cheap too...
  • Options
    Well I wasn't coming up until the day of the first gig (and I think I only have hotels booked for the nights of the gig too), but I guess an extra night in the van won't do me any harm eh? :P
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.