Options

Can someone get this on stage in Buffalo or? (UPDATED)

ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 569
edited August 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
UPDATE: THANKS EVERYONE FOR MAKING MY REQUEST COME TRUE. In the beginning of the first encore Ed came out and started saying how we should be thanksful for being alive. He started to say that a young man wrote him a poinient letter saying how much respect he had for his father. He said that my dad had been through many battles fighting to stay alive. Then he said they're hear tonight and I think I am saying this right. "Jack Ruggiero" (He said it right) The house lights came on and me and my dad screamed to get ED to see us and hopefully he did. And he said, "We want to dedicate this song to him for all he's been through and we'll dedicate Alive also. This is for you, Jack." PJ started playing Just Breathe. During this song my dad and I balled our eyes out and we cried the whole song. This was something so special that happened and was amazing. EVeryone in our section started to shake our hands and give hugs. It was the greatest moment of my dad and my lives. During ALive Eddie also said, "This is for you Jack." During Alive we went crazy and this has been the best PJ show I have ever been to. Thanks everyone for supporting , especially Chris and Dave and I will get my thank you to the band :)
Here's the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5t03vxnso

Update 2: OMG! At MSG1 as you probably know something amazing happened. My dad and I made a sign which said THANKS FOR NEWARK- JACK AND SON JAMES RUGGIERO. During Even Flow Eddie came behind the stage (we had 2nd row behind the stage, amazing). He saw our sign and he couldn't believe my dad was at MSG and he gave us fist pumps and pointed at me. He mouthed (You're Jack! You're James! Yeah! Yeah!) Then when Even Flow ended Ed went to the mic and talked about the black keys. Then he says: Ya know, speaking of special occasions, last night or 2 nights ago in Newark. Yeah we were there. I was asked to dedicate a song by a son who wrote this beautiful letter about his father. He said if you could dedicate one to my dad because he's just such an inspiration to me. It was a really moving letter. Cuz his dad couldn't make it to the garden right. (He turns and points to us) But the dad made it to the garden. That's jack and there's his son james.He's been really fighting to stay on this planet. He's been going through some shit. So Jack you look great, be careful back there.

Here's a video of it. I was in shock.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSuty2VzCM During lowlight we balled our eyes out again. This was the greatest night of my dad and my life. It was so great. Words cannot describe this moment and the night. It is so amazing. It would not be possible without the PJ community. I owe to you guys. Thanks so much.

(ORIGINAL POST)
Okay. For all those who have low numbers or great tix where they could throw something on stage this is for you. Thanks it means so much to me if you could do this. Basically I am going to Newark, MSG1, and MSG 2. For Newark I am going with my dad and it's his first concert in a long time. Read this letter it explains it all.

Dear Ed, Stone, Mike, Matt, Jeff, and Boom,

I am sending you this message because I need a favor. This year I am going to Newark and MSG x2. I am from New Jersey and I am only 14 so these are the only shows that are convenient for me. They will be my #4,5, and 6 PJ shows. For Newark, my dad is taking me and we are going for the weekend. He can't go to MSG because MSG is really to crowded and big when in Hartford we can find isolated seats by the stage. You are probably wondering, "Why can't this guy go to MSG?"
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Well basically my dad has been fighting a battle that has been going on since the year (1995) before I was born which is 1996. In 1995, he was diagnosed with Leukemia. After 3 years of treatment, he finally got rid of it. This came out of nowhere and had a bad effect on my dad, his new twins, and his wife. Before he knew it a couple of months later, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Luckily, the cancer only stayed in his testicles instead of going to his brain, stomach, and heart. If it had done that there was a really large chance he could have died. Lance Armstrong had this cancer also and it went to his organs unlike my dad. I strongly advise reading his book. It's very inspiring. Anyway the only way to get rid of this cancer was to radiate the infected testicle and have it removed. So this is what my dad had done. This took 2 years.
Then in 2000, my dad was then diagnosed with Lymphoma. This was caused by the radiation to get rid of testicular cancer. Meanwhile, the doctors never told him Lymphoma could be caused by the radiation but later he found out of this truth. So for 5 years he went to NYU getting every kind of treatment there is. In 2004, he couldn't work anymore. After these difficult years, things got worse and better and worse and better. Finally, doctors at NYU said that they know how they are going to end this. They said my dad should get a bone marrow transplant because all the other "solutions" to kill the disease had failed.
To get this bone marrow transplant my dad had to go to Hackensack University which is in Hackensack, NJ. It is an hour away from our house. So in the late winter of 2006 my dad started to visit doctors in Hackensack and started to be observed. He stayed there for different periods of time. At this time I was 9 and because of this new "thing dad had to do" I became "dramatized" and began to listen to PJ.
In the bone marrow transplant, my dad needed new blood because all the cancer cells were in his blood. In order to do the transplant, my dad needed the same type of blood, one that would match his. Luckily, out of my dad's 3 brothers one was a match. To keep a long story short, my dad got the transplant in August of '06 and it was a success. The downturn of it was that my dad's blood was recognizing the new blood coming in wasn't his and it rejected it. Because of the rejection, my dad's immune system became as low as possible, his eyes became extremely dry and irritated, and he suffered from Graph vs. Host disease (GVHD). In GVHD, the skin becomes puffy and purple and affects the immune system.
In order to fix this, my dad went for this special treatment. This started in 2008. He went for 300 and something treatments in a year. He went everyday for one treatment. I am so happy to say he is doing great now and only goes to the hospital once a month to get a checkup but he still has to be a little careful. He looks great and without your music there is no way I would have dealt with this. \
Throughout this process, my dad has stayed so optimistic and it is just amazing how much he loves life. I cannot describe it in words. I see him when he talks to other patients and he brings life to them. Like I said I can't describe it. All his life he really gets through things and is self made. Now he trades stock. He got me into rock n' roll and he supports me for whatever I do.
I feel through these years I never really showed him with something spectacular that I was thankful for everything he does for me and that I am proud of what he's gone through. So the favor I need from you guys is if you could acknowledge him for me at the Newark show and dedicate Alive to him. It would mean so much to me and to him. It could just take a second. I would be so honored and grateful if my favorite band did this for my hero, my dad. I also know this is big but is there anyway we could get amazing seats like in the first row?? THis is a long shot I know. My dad is not as big as a PJ fan as me but he loves Ten (especially Alive) and I know he'll enjoy the show that you guys make so amazing. His name is Jack Ruggiero and he is such an inspiration to me. So if you could make this happen it would be so great. Thanks so much. Good luck with the tour.

-James

So I am wondering is there anyway you can help me by printing the letter, putting it in an envelope, and throw it on stage since you have awesome seats. I sent it to 10c administrators but they probably won't get it to the band. Please. This is my only chance. Thanks and if you could do this you would make someone's day and life special.

Thanks,

James

P.S. Please those who think this is stupid don't bash this. Everyone please give me some bumps. Thanks everyone!
Camden 2 (2008) 
Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
Newark (2010)
MSG 1 (2010)
Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
Philly 2 (2013)
Greenville (2016)
Columbia (2016)
MSG 2 (2016)
Fenway 2 (2016)
EV NJPAC (2022)
MSG (2022)
Denver (2022)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    Good luck, James. I hope your letter makes it on stage.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    james could write out your self mate an then at the shows wait by box office beofre the show find the person scream like a fool they will have won the TEnclub lotto an got front row seats ask them if they will do it for you bro i am sure you will def find someone who will good luck mate
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Good luck James.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Hopefully this will happen for you and I can't see anyone bashing your thread, not with what all your dad had to go through. I'd do it but where my seats are in Hartford theres no way I could get it on stage and I'm sure my 10c seats for Boston won't be any good either. Good luck with your quest.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,592
    Good luck

bump

much love
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    sometimes threads on here are seen by a little bird....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
    I'll print it out and take it to VA with me, no promises as I don't now how close I'll be but I'll try for you. Good luck.
    2006 - Washington D.C.
    2010 - Bristow, VA
    2013 - Charlottesville, VA
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    James, you are a good son. Let's keep bumping this one.
  • Options
    Jurassic MarcJurassic Marc Posts: 152
    bump
  • Options
    Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    I Will be at newark, msg 1 and 2... And if ANYTHING I think us 10c can get a Jack Ruggierio chant going especially in NYC!!!!
    Be Faithfull!!!!!!!!!!
    BUMP
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    Okay. For all those who have low numbers or great tix where they could throw something on stage this is for you. Thanks it means so much to me if you could do this. Basically I am going to Newark, MSG1, and MSG 2. For Newark I am going with my dad and it's his first concert in a long time. Read this letter it explains it all.

Dear Ed, Stone, Mike, Matt, Jeff, and Boom,

I am sending you this message because I need a favor. This year I am going to Hartford and MSG x2. I am from New Jersey and I am only 14 so these are the only shows that are convenient for me. They will be my #4,5, and 6 PJ shows. For Hartford, my dad is taking me and we are going for the weekend. He can't go to MSG because MSG is really to crowded and big when in Hartford we can find isolated seats by the stage. You are probably wondering, "Why can't this guy go to MSG?"
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Well basically my dad has been fighting a battle that has been going on since the year (1995) before I was born which is 1996. In 1995, he was diagnosed with Leukemia. After 3 years of treatment, he finally got rid of it. This came out of nowhere and had a bad effect on my dad, his new twins, and his wife. Before he knew it a couple of months later, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Luckily, the cancer only stayed in his testicles instead of going to his brain, stomach, and heart. If it had done that there was a really large chance he could have died. Lance Armstrong had this cancer also and it went to his organs unlike my dad. I strongly advise reading his book. It's very inspiring. Anyway the only way to get rid of this cancer was to radiate the infected testicle and have it removed. So this is what my dad had done. This took 2 years.
    Then in 2000, my dad was then diagnosed with Lymphoma. This was caused by the radiation to get rid of testicular cancer. Meanwhile, the doctors never told him Lymphoma could be caused by the radiation but later he found out of this truth. So for 5 years he went to NYU getting every kind of treatment there is. In 2004, he couldn't work anymore. After these difficult years, things got worse and better and worse and better. Finally, doctors at NYU said that they know how they are going to end this. They said my dad should get a bone marrow transplant because all the other "solutions" to kill the disease had failed.
    To get this bone marrow transplant my dad had to go to Hackensack University which is in Hackensack, NJ. It is an hour away from our house. So in the late winter of 2006 my dad started to visit doctors in Hackensack and started to be observed. He stayed there for different periods of time. At this time I was 9 and because of this new "thing dad had to do" I became "dramatized" and began to listen to PJ.
    In the bone marrow transplant, my dad needed new blood because all the cancer cells were in his blood. In order to do the transplant, my dad needed the same type of blood, one that would match his. Luckily, out of my dad's 3 brothers one was a match. To keep a long story short, my dad got the transplant in August of '06 and it was a success. The downturn of it was that my dad's blood was recognizing the new blood coming in wasn't his and it rejected it. Because of the rejection, my dad's immune system became as low as possible, his eyes became extremely dry and irritated, and he suffered from Graph vs. Host disease (GVHD). In GVHD, the skin becomes puffy and purple and affects the immune system.
    In order to fix this, my dad went for this special treatment. This started in 2008. He went for 300 and something treatments in a year. He went everyday for one treatment. I am so happy to say he is doing great now and only goes to the hospital once a month to get a checkup but he still has to be a little careful. He looks great and without your music there is no way I would have dealt with this. \
    Throughout this process, my dad has stayed so optimistic and it is just amazing how much he loves life. I cannot describe it in words. I see him when he talks to other patients and he brings life to them. Like I said I can't describe it. All his life he really gets through things and is self made. Now he trades stock. He got me into rock n' roll and he supports me for whatever I do.
    I feel through these years I never really showed him with something spectacular that I was thankful for everything he does for me and that I am proud of what he's gone through. So the favor I need from you guys is if you could acknowledge him for me at the Newark show and dedicate Alive to him. It would mean so much to me and to him. It could just take a second. I would be so honored and grateful if my favorite band did this for my hero, my dad. I also know this is big but is there anyway we could get amazing seats like in the first row?? THis is a long shot I know. My dad is not as big as a PJ fan as me but he loves Ten (especially Alive) and I know he'll enjoy the show that you guys make so amazing. His name is Jack Ruggiero and he is such an inspiration to me. So if you could make this happen it would be so great. Thanks so much. Good luck with the tour.

-James

So I am wondering is there anyway you can help me by printing the letter, putting it in an envelope, and throw it on stage since you have awesome seats. I sent it to 10c administrators but they probably won't get it to the band. Please. This is my only chance. Thanks and if you could do this you would make someone's day and life special.

Thanks,

James

P.S. Please those who think this is stupid don't bash this. Everyone please give me some bumps. Thanks everyone!

I will be at Buffalo, Hartford and MSG2. I would be proud to try for you. PM if interested.

David
    64xxx
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    prayers to your dad.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Thanks everyone. C'mon keep the thread alive!
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    wow
    good luck !!!
    hope this works out for you
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Your dad is very lucky to have such a great son, and I bet he is so proud.
    The 10 Club people are awesome, someone will be able to help you. Good Luck, and keep us updated!
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Mail a letter to the venue with "Pearl Jam Production" on it.

I'd give it a 90% chance of getting to the band's tour staff.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    bump.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,935
    Good luck with having your request answered. As others have said, you never know who's reading this board. I hope you and your dad have a brilliant time at the shows regardless of where your sitting and what you hear.

Also, best of luck to your dad as he continues to deal with the cards this life has dealt to him. You are a very lucky person to have such an inspiring person in your life. Not only has he shown great perseverance in the face of all of his challenges, but his challenges have allowed you to discover an amazing band.

{{{good vibes}}} to you both :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    good luck. i'll be at hartford and the MSG's but will not be close enough to help out. i do hope i hear alive dedicated to your dad, though. can't imagine what he's been through.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's support. I really appreciate it!
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    Ok. Just got back from the Buffalo show. I was in the third row between Stone and Eddie. I tried all show to get your letter on stage but no one in front of me in the two front rows wanted to help. At the end I had a fellow 10C'er help me out and he launched his sneaker on stage with your letter in it. Basically the sneaker Eddie set on fire in Buffalo contained your letter and Eddie did remove your letter before the inferno. I saw it in his hand and he shot us a "look". Message delivered and I hope he read it. I will try again in Hartford this Saturday for you. Good luck to you and your family.

David
    64xxx
  • Options
    release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    DS1119 wrote:
    Ok. Just got back from the Buffalo show. I was in the third row between Stone and Eddie. I tried all show to get your letter on stage but no one in front of me in the two front rows wanted to help. At the end I had a fellow 10C'er help me out and he launched his sneaker on stage with your letter in it. Basically the sneaker Eddie set on fire in Buffalo contained your letter and Eddie did remove your letter before the inferno. I saw it in his hand and he shot us a "look". Message delivered and I hope he read it. I will try again in Hartford this Saturday for you. Good luck to you and your family.

David
    64xxx

this dude right here is tha shit,,, to those on the first 2 rows mama said if i cant say anything nice to just keep my mouth quite,, so i will, so this thread doesnt get locked cause wow its a letter its not hard to pass it up,, but hey bro nice job to the both of you,,,, at hartford could you hold a sign up saying happy 29th anniversy JB & pandi ,, DamianPBNJ is going to help with a sign as well an also try an get james letter to the band i made a thread asking for a shout outs to JB/pandi for there 29th anniversy since the hartford show is the same day as well i also requested for more help for james getting his letter to the band,,,,
  • Options
    topaztopaz Posts: 301
    DS1119 wrote:

David
    64xxx

There are some Legends on this board!...this thread is awesome (bump). I had to laugh at 'the sneaker Eddie set on fire in Buffalo contained your letter' now that's what I call rock and roll, man.

Best of luck James, and keep us all posted, remember some of us live at the bottom of the world and need to hear via the pit what goes down in cases like this.

and keep bumping!
  • Options
    Holy crap! Thank you so much Dave!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you did this for me! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!OMG I am in tears right now! You have done something so important to me and I will never forget it. Thank you!!!! You will receive some crazy PJ gifts ;)
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    i cried reading your letter, and i never cry
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I know some people don't like the term "jamily" but it really is very fitting.
    We care about each other like family and we make memories together and we watch out for each other like family. Even worry, shed a tear, or pray if so inclined. I call that family. Pearl Jam family = Jamily
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    that is one bad ass move... giving up a sneaker for a fellow fan who is a stranger... as I recall, there is a bad history with throwing shows (ref: shoe the shoeless), so I am not surprised the sneaker was sacrificed... great job though... I will be at MSG and hope to hear the outcome...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,938
    I was going to say "don't sell the 10c short" and I wouldn't be a bit surpirsed if they got the message to the band.

But, it looks like one of us were able to get the message on stage. Hope things work out, and you get your Alive request for your pops!

Well done, David. Good Karma coming your way.
  • Options
    ruggs1996 wrote:
    Holy crap! Thank you so much Dave!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you did this for me! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!OMG I am in tears right now! You have done something so important to me and I will never forget it. Thank you!!!! You will receive some crazy PJ gifts ;)

I hope it works for you guys!!

David

p.s. the sneakers were returned :D
  • Options
    phungi wrote:
    that is one bad ass move... giving up a sneaker for a fellow fan who is a stranger... as I recall, there is a bad history with throwing shows (ref: shoe the shoeless), so I am not surprised the sneaker was sacrificed... great job though... I will be at MSG and hope to hear the outcome...

I didn't give up my sneaker. Here's the complete story now that I am sober. I met up with a fellow 10c'er before the show to use my extra ticket. His name is Chris A. and I think his name on this board is tightropehigher. I sat with his girlfrfiend for most of the show in row 3 while Chris was in row 11. Eventually they switched places during the first encore. I tried for most of the show to get the envelope passed up but had no luck. I explained to Chris what I was trying to do and promised him a ticket for MSG2 for no charge if he got the envelope on stage. Chris grabbed the envelope and hopped the two rows. Just as he got to the front he took his sneaker off, put the folded envelope in and tossed it to Eddie who had a bewildered look on his face. He took the envelope out and looked at it.

The next is a little blurry. For some reason Chris' other shoe ended up on stage and one of them Eddie set fire to. In hind sight because of the "shoe thing" I would have advised Chris not to do this. It worked though and no one got in trouble.

Congrats James, your letter was delivered. Also, congrats Chris. I am a man of my word and if you can get to MSG2 I have a ticket for you free of charge.

David
    64xxx