Options

a new PJ fan in the works...PJ playing daily in Afghanistan

elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,075
edited May 2013 in The Porch
I usually keep this stuff private but this forum is dead right now and I can't take waiting for a new album or tour dates for the fall any longer so here's something:

As many of you know, I volunteer for a local non-profit that sends loving reminders of support from home to troops in Afghanistan in the form of huge care packages. One of the recipients on our care package list reached out to me very upset because he lost his life line to talking with his wife as he dropped and broke his personal laptop. He used another computer to message me and I found a very generous person who donated their laptop for me to ship to him.

So before I packed it up and sent it off to Afghanistan, I filled it with PJ shows and stuff as a little surprise. (relax 10c, it was shows we are allowed to trade etc ;) ). Just recently I got a message back stating he now can't go a day without blasting some PJ or EV and is a huge fan and now can't wait to get home in hopes of trying to catch a PJ show (he doesn't know that we are all desperately hoping for a US tour LOL). He is digesting each and every song I sent him and is sending me quotes from specific songs and how powerful they are to him and how they are helping him get through this deployment.

So I just had to share. Again, the power and music of Pearl Jam. Who would have known? We now have a new fan and in a small section of Afghanistan in a tent; there is PJ playing and playing loud each and every night helping one of our brave cope with being in harm's way and far away from home.

Thanks for letting me share
-EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    nice!! When my brother was stationed over there I would always include some PJ in his weekly care packages...he too came back a fan. :)

That sounds like a really cool organization you volunteer for!
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    nice!! When my brother was stationed over there I would always include some PJ in his weekly care packages...he too came back a fan. :)

That sounds like a really cool organization you volunteer for!

Thank you for the service your brother and your family provides our country!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,985
    nice work as usual! keep it up. :D
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    :clap::clap::clap:

Can you find out his t-shirt size? If we get a tour, I'd be happy to send another t-shirt. Or, let me know if you need any other PJ goodies to send him or his unit.
  • Options

Can you find out his t-shirt size? If we get a tour, I'd be happy to send another t-shirt. Or, let me know if you need any other PJ goodies to send him or his unit.

wow that is awesome. He's a Large to an XL (depending on how they run). He's returning in July so I'm praying that PJ tours and tours near him. Thank you for your years of support of our brave!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    David, your kindness and generosity never cease to amaze me. Way to go, once again!!
  • Options
    rangers9rangers9 Posts: 5
    Yep, thanks David for all you do for the troops. When my son was in Afgahnistan 4 years ago David sent me some shows to send over to him. They were much appreciated by me and my son ! I hope everyones loved ones come home soon, safe and sound and ready for the alleged new tour.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    your the man old son keep up the great work :D
  • Options
    nothingman203nothingman203 Posts: 325
    Well done my friend! Happy to hear he has a new coping mechanism out there, and wishing him a safe return.
    "I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as Josh Homme"
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359

wow that is awesome. He's a Large to an XL (depending on how they run). He's returning in July so I'm praying that PJ tours and tours near him. Thank you for your years of support of our brave!

Pm me your address. I can send a few stickers, etc to you.

Thanks.
  • Options

Pm me your address. I can send a few stickers, etc to you.

Thanks.

Awesome..amazing. PM sent.
    -EV