EUROPEAN TIX PRESALE FORUM DIALOGUE WITH PJ MGR KELLY CURTIS

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited December 2011 in The Porch
The Q&A session is now ended. Thank you for participating. If there will be another opportunity, we will post about it. Have a great weekend everyone.

================================================================
EUROPEAN TICKET PRE-SALE FORUM DIALOGUE WITH PJ MANAGER KELLY CURTIS

We know that many of you have questions relating to the Ten Club European ticket pre-sale. We want you to know everything that we know at this point.

Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis will be online in the forum starting at 1:30PM PST today to answer your questions and address your concerns.

Post your questions in this thread and Kelly will do his best to get through as many of them as possible in the order received.

(NOTE: Please review what has already been asked/answered before posting so that Kelly can get to as many of your unique questions/issues as possible.)
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    edited December 2011
    wow

first question is, what happened? what was the "sabotage"?

to see all of kelly's answers, go here

thanks to driftingbythestorm :D

transcript courtesy of the sky i scrape

Q: what happened? what was the "sabotage"?

KC: honestly, we do not know. what we do know is that since the alpine/canadian fiasco.. we have sought out the best ticketing company that we could find. we selected a state of the art company called crowd surge. who have have successfully handled massive ticket sales for paul mccartney, rhcp, and foo fighters. they've never had problems like this ever. so, we have a completely different company, system, server, staff in completely different cities.. and we have a very similar problem.... if you have any ideas.. please send our way

Q: can the band / management do anything to help those of us who would have got tickets to shows originally, but missed out due to the public on sale sell outs?

KC: while we wish we could. we have never been able to guarantee tickets to every fan club member. we try and be clear as possible.

Q: Why was there no 10c announcement of the second Manchester show?

KC: we would never assume that we would automatically get to two shows.... sometimes we don't get there.

Q: what about, those that bought seating tickets is there any chance for an upgrade to better seats. should the 10c have arranged to leave a block empty for this if not??

KC: we cannot upgrade your seats but we are working on early entry wristband per the post on the pj.com news section

Q: Will the Band add another couple of Fan Club Only Shows? -- that would be sublime and I am sure all would be enormously grateful.

KC: have not even had time to address this idea yet

Q: Will 10C add something to the membership as a way of saying sorry for how they have handled things this week? I.e 30 hours to response to the fans

KC: you know what...? i am very sorry. but i can't really answer the rest if i don't know or understand what exactly has happened. when and if we do... you will be the second to know.

Q: What assurances did Crowdsurge give that they could cope with the pre-sale?

KC: their track record and history is/was outstanding for comparable artist

Q: Why did it take so long for the 10C to communicate with fans about what was occurring regarding the recent European pre-sale? The fans waited for over 24 hours without hearing anything and Crowdsurge indicated that that they were also waiting for information from Pearl jam's camp.

KC: it took us that long to get the information ourselves.

Q: Can PJ get over the Ticketmaster debacle from the 90's and move on now? Pre-sales have been disastrous and I don't see why they couldn't leave it to the professionals to handle such affairs? We deserve an organization that can cope with PJ's demand given that it us who put them and keep them where they are now. Do the band know how bad the ticketing fiasco is?

KC: yes we worked with tm in canada.. it is not an option in all places in the world

Q: IS THE TICKETING ISSUE FIXED FROM HERE ON OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the past few years buying tickets through 10c has honestly drove me up a wall ..... and im close to taking my TICKET PURCHASES else where.

KC: don't blame you.. we all feel the same way. of course we are working on the perfect system.. any ideas? send them along

Q: Why sell the tickets all at the same time?

KC: no matter how many shows we put up.. we are still getting a similar amount of traffic... and as of what we know right now.. it is not a traffic issue.. the servers were humming along fine.

Q: Could you please clarify the way 10c members will be entitled wristbands with GA tks bought through the general sale? Will single 10clubber buyers (buying 1 tkt each) be allowed a wristband?

KC: details for wristbands coming next week per ten club news post.

Q: Why won't Pearl Jam play The South?

KC: never say never

Q: Why was it not possible to hold back the 10c tickets although the public pre-sale started and, additional to that, since they 10c-pre-sale did not work out, hold back an extra amount of tickets from the public pre-sale? Would that have been so difficult? I don't understand why they had to be "thrown" into the public sale.

KC: we are dealing with a public on sale following our pre-sale in a very short window…. our fan club pre-sales are not very popular with promoters and therefore there is not a lot of help offered. one of the main reasons… is that SOME ..NOT ALL promoters would love to sell our fan club tickets at a very high price….. this is how pj has been abe to avoid widespread scalping. our goal has always been to get you .. the loyal pj fan the best of anything we have to offer at the best price possible.

Q: Can anything be done for those of us who actually had tickets in our basket, and had entered all the credit card info and were in the process of checking out when the system crashed?

KC: sorry no.

Q: Can we go back to post cards and money orders? My guess is no, but maybe this is best, the good old fashion way, kinda like playing a record!

KC: believe me… this is being talked about very seriously….

Q: Will there be any measures to "compensate" the 10c members that were caught in this nightmare and didn't score any desired tickets for this tour?

KC: working on ideas..

Q: Are the actual band members kept up-to-date with the problems that 'joe public' have went through?

KC: of course

Q: have you thought about doing pre sales the way that dave matthews band and phish do theirs?

KC: with all due respect... phish nor dmb are not big sellers outside the US... where our problems lie today.

Q: I feel sometimes we are given 1/2 truths about touring info.....like as an American I feel tempted to go to Europe but when I do I know a US tour will be announced. Could this info be given out in a more timely manner? Why in this band's 20th anniversary have they not hit their home city?

KC: we cannot announce everything at once because we don't alway know what we are doing … once we get through routing, venues, time period , personal schedules.. we move on to the next.. this band has never planned very far ahead.. thus keeping it real and fresh always.. and not one big treadmill obligation….

Q: Do you think that the growing rift in many fans' eyes between Pearl Jam / Ten Club is a problem? Isn't this a PJ management issue?

KC: everything pj is a management issue.. the good or bad...

Q: In 2006 I think it was, You announced a 5 show tour of Australia, with 10C tickets to one show in each City. Melbourne #2 went on public sale with no announcement to the fans, or anyone 10 minutes before Melbourne #1. Surely you must have some idea...especially with a 12 hour lag in time as was the case with Manchester.

KC: i have been cocky in the past and it has come back to bite me…..it is a different world out there and money is tight.. again.. i would never presume anything anymore..

Q: Please address why it took more than 24 hours for 10C to issue any sort of statement regarding the ticketing issue. This is a huge point.

KC: i am going to say this one more time... we did not know what was happening..we were all working for that 24hrs to find out what was wrong.. and we still don't know.. you know what we know..

Q: Was anyone in this lineup [Nickelback] a suspect of the sabotage?

KC: funny stuff

Q: is it just a case of too much traffic overwhelming the server? whether it be crowdsurge or 10c? or is it not even known if that is the problem?

KC: servers were fine.... humming along

Q: Why don't bands even larger than PJ have these fanclub ticketing problems? (Bruce, Petty, Phish, DMB)

KC: most of those are Ticketmaster fan clubs. Ticketmaster is owned by Live Nation. nothing wrong with that, but just so you know. our goal was to keep Ten Club independent. we felt there were advantages to that. do these other fan clubs you mention really never have ticketing problems?

Q: Why are you, after 20 years of doing this, still so badly organized??? You charge us 50$ a year. You should be more responsible for your deeds. Sometimes we feel like you don't care,..

KC: no way to convince you . but we all really do care.. we all love this band and our jobs.

Q: Does the band know about the numerous ticket sale fiascos that have taken place over the past years, and why was it not a concern until now? Can you and the band implement a more "open" line of communication between the 10c and the fans/forums?...it seems like there is a very strict policy of any release of infomation by moderators...when they are the closest to the fan base and can easily clear up misconceptions and falsities... How is information passed from band management to 10c management...official press release? email? phone call? snail mail letter? Who is responsible for updating the website, and why is there no consistency in respect to when items are released and the announment of such releases?

KC: you are not wrong at all… we have been chasing this thing every year since technology became a player and the primary way people purchase tickets… info comes in at all times and places….. and we have to make sure . depending on what the subject that it is correct and that the band.. the whole band has signed off.. that can be a task in itself...

Q: Is our personal information safe? Do we need to be worried about our credit card information?

KC: we have been assured by CrowdSurge that your credit card information is secure.

Q: why would we come up with the ideas? YOU'RE THEIR MANAGER! I'm a school teacher and wouldn't ask you how to teach a good WWI lesson on trench warfare.

KC: come on… really? was not trying to make you mad.. seriously…i was looking for feedback/help…
    been interesting everyone.. especially you sawyer.

Q: oh and no offence Mr Curtis... are you suggesting to us, the fans, that the 2nd night has never been discussed with you? Are you suggesting that TM sell the 2nd night out and then dictate to the band that they MUST play a 2nd night? please do not insult our intelligence... the band, the mgt and all staff would have known about a 2nd night so why could that not have been announced before TM released tickets? I know for a fact that webpages can be set to go live at certain times... i.e. a news item on PJ could have been set to go live at 8.55am UK time this morning with info about the 2nd night. You're evading the most burning questions. Whilst i'm sure everyone appreciates the fact you are here.. please don't skip the most emotive points.

KC: let me try again...i can tell I either missed the point of this question or didn't answer it clearly. this is an industry standard, not something specific to the way i do it. there are some cities where i think we might be able to play more than one show, but I don't assume that until after we put the first show up for sale, and we see what the demand is. (there are exceptions to this rule...of course...there are some cities where we know for sure there will be demand for multiple shows so we put them both up at once. but more often i am making the decision in real time.) if the first show sells out and it seems like there is demand for a second show, i will approve for another show to go on sale right after the first one sells out or looks like it is going to.
    from now on, we can post on the ten club site right when we approve for another show to be added so that you guys know.

KC: thanks everyone for your time..really appreciated. i know it's late in europe.. i will continue to answer new questions…. that come along..
    Post edited by norm on
  • Sloth2Sloth2 Posts: 277
    edited December 2011
    can the band / management do anything to help those of us who would have got tickets to shows originally, but missed out due to the public on sale sell outs?
    Post edited by Sloth2 on
    "I hope they feed you in jail" - Ed V to a stage intruder 18/02/2003 Melbourne.

High Above
    i'll break the law
    if it's illegal to be in love
    leave the hatred on the cross
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Why was there no 10c announcement of the second Manchester show?
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    what about, those that bought seating tickets is there any chance for an upgrade to better seats. should the 10c have arranged to leave a block empty for this if not??
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Will the Band add another couple of Fan Club Only Shows? -- that would be sublime and I am sure all would be enormously grateful.
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    what will Pearl Jam do to make sure events like this week don't happen again?

Why was the 2nd date for Manchester not announced by Pearl Jam?

Will 10C add something to the membership as a way of saying sorry for how they have handled things this week? I.e 30 hours to response to the fans

Thanks

Ian
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    this is more like it ........

the man answering OUR QUESTIONS ...... ......................................................its about time
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I know it means a lot to many fans!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited December 2011
    Are there any potential second nights we should be aware of

Thanks and happy holidays
    Post edited by Black Diamond on
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to come on and answer our questions.

What assurances did Crowdsurge give that they could cope with the pre-sale?

What evidence to you have that the pre-sale was targeted by an outside party?

Whats the point of paying the annual fee, with one of the major selling points being that we will get tickets before the 'general public' if at the first sign of problems with the pre-sale you ditch it and put all the remaining tickets back to the general sale?

Not really a pre-sale question but why do you never book any shows in Scotland?
    Post edited by evo on
    Hail Hail
    Question: Why did it take so long for the 10C to communicate with fans about what was occurring regarding the recent European pre-sale? The fans waited for over 24 hours without hearing anything and Crowdsurge indicated that that they were also waiting for information from Pearl jam's camp.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Can PJ get over the Ticketmaster debacle from the 90's and move on now? Pre-sales have been disastrous and I don't see why they couldn't leave it to the professionals to handle such affairs? We deserve an organization that can cope with PJ's demand given that it us who put them and keep them where they are now. Do the band know how bad the ticketing fiasco is?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    Hey Kelly,

How in the world do you guys (10C, band, all involved) keep your cool when reading all of this negatvity? I'm not sure I could, you all are good, tolerant people. ;)

Oh and just to clear this up, is the band aware of this? Can't see how they aren't but seems to be some discussion regarding this.

Thanks, Happy Holidays!
    edited December 2011
    IS THE TICKETING ISSUE FIXED FROM HERE ON OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for the past few years buying tickets through 10c has honestly drove me up a wall ..... and im close to taking my TICKET PURCHASES else where.

THANKS KELLY
    Post edited by joe2468 on
  • prlprl Posts: 125
    edited December 2011
    - Why sell the tickets all at the same time?

- Knowing how badly the previous ticket sales went, why such a short time frame between the 10C presale and the public sales (giving absolutely no time to fix anything that can go wrong)?

- Why giving only a few days between the announcement of the tour and the presales, not letting people have the time to determine if they can go and make proper plans? (not a new thing happens on every tour)

Thanks for doing this!
  • wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    edited December 2011
    Are there more shows to be added besides Manchester 2 or is this it?
    (Would be good to know asap because of the hostel & flight bookings! Thanks!)

We heard of a second Berlin show...is this true?
    Post edited by wolkenlos on
  • OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    edited December 2011
    Hi and thanks for replying to our questions.

Could you please clarify the way 10c members will be entitled wristbands with GA tks bought through the general sale? Will single 10clubber buyers (buying 1 tkt each) be allowed a wristband?

Thank you!
    Post edited by Owl on
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    edited December 2011
    Why was it not possible to hold back the 10c tickets although the public pre-sale started and, additional to that, since they 10c-pre-sale did not work out, hold back an extra amount of tickets from the public pre-sale? Would that have been so difficult? I don't understand why they had to be "thrown" into the public sale.

Second question is related to the general questions here about the info policy...why sending out the update at 1am CET? I was asleep and got notice of the update at 9am when the sale already had started...
    Post edited by GetALife on
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    1. Why was there a 30 hour delay when no member of staff could inform the forum/fans of the ticketing problems?

2. Why then release an email at 00:30 UK time, when most fans were asleep, about lack of a pre-sale thus giving European fans absolutely no warning about lack of tenclub privileges?

3. Why on earth did the forum not then announce a 2nd night had been added to the Euro Tour?

4. A full 12 hours later why is the 2nd night still not formally announced on the bands own webpage/forum?

5. Why does Ed never return my calls about my proposed Crazy Golf day out with me, him, Dustin Hoffman and Heather Mills?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • norm wrote:
    wow

honestly, we do not know. what we do know is that since the alpine/canadian fiasco.. we have sought out the best ticketing company that we could find. we selected a state of the art company called crowd surge. who have have successfully handled massive ticket sales for paul mccartney, rhcp, and foo fighters. they've never had problems like this ever. so, we have a completely different company, system, server, staff in completely different cities.. and we have a very similar problem.... if you have any ideas.. please send our way
    Question: Why won't Pearl Jam play The South? :mrgreen::D8-)

-Signed, a Texan
  • Can anything be done for those of us who actually had tickets in our basket, and had entered all the credit card info and were in the process of checking out when the system crashed?
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,680
    Will wristbands be available for Manchester night 2?

Thanks Kelly
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited December 2011
    Why no communication on Tuesday night ... a simple you can go to bed nothing else will happen today as was done with previous ticket sale problems. We understand there can be problems but a we don't know whats happening, we're sorry, go to bed is all we needed.

Why on Wednesday was the announcement sent out after most of Europe was already asleep. Understandable that it had to wait until Seattle was awake but it wasn't received until 00.00-02.00 European time when some of the sales it referred to were starting first thing.
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    IS THE TICKETING ISSUE FIXED FROM HERE ON OUT ???????

can you promise us THE FANS that this will never happen again
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Slanket, Snuggie, or neither? Just wondering what your preference is. Thanks.
  • Hey Kelly,

It is really nice of you to take the time to do this.

My question is:

Can we go back to post cards and money orders? My guess is no, but maybe this is best, the good old fashion way, kinda like playing a record!

Peace,

Brian
  • Sloth2 wrote:
    can the band / management do anything to help those of us who would have got tickets to shows originally, but missed out due to the public on sale sell outs?
    while we wish we could. we have never been able to guarantee tickets to every fan club member. we try and be clear as possible.
  • Can I just say what a brilliant job the club does for it's fans...

I think some of us have become spoilt and lost sight of what we get...

I for one think that presales for 2009 Europe were incredibly simple and easy... Is that something to do with letting the locals buy first? I don't recall anything like this week before. Wembley was tough but certainly not impossible.

Please don't hand over to Ticketmaster.

I think there is something in the demand from the whole world coming in at once...

Please just keep trying, that's enough for me...I'm a member of a number of other fan clubs and frankly people should be aware that no matter what Tenclub is still a thousand miles better than any other club - especially in terms of ticket sales... And the Ts and Cs state there is no guarantee of pre sale tickets...

Thanks again for everything. And, you do not have to explain yourself at all , the value for membership is brilliant.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm wrote:
    wow

honestly, we do not know. what we do know is that since the alpine/canadian fiasco.. we have sought out the best ticketing company that we could find. we selected a state of the art company called crowd surge. who have have successfully handled massive ticket sales for paul mccartney, rhcp, and foo fighters. they've never had problems like this ever. so, we have a completely different company, system, server, staff in completely different cities.. and we have a very similar problem.... if you have any ideas.. please send our way

interesting

given the fan base pearl jam has, do you think it's time to deal with ticketmaster? i know you don't want to and as a fan of this band i don't want you to but i think this aspect of the band can't be diy...any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.