Options

a 'Live Backspacer' for Dr. Zoidberg

tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
edited October 2010 in The Porch
(HERE IT IS!):

http://rearviewmirrorbootlegs.blogspot. ... pacer.html

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Greetings.

As people will know, Stip, the moderator from the 'Red Mosquito' Pearl Jam forum has been posting some scorching reviews of the backspacer album track by track, sharing what he has been writing for Red Mosquito with us here. He has almost finished the complete album now - A Guided Tour of Backspacer

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=141478

I think many people agree that this is one of the best things we have read on the Porch for ages, and I think it has been really generous of Stip ('Dr. Stip Zoidberg'!) to take the time to come over here, share these with us and take the trouble to discuss further and exchange ideas; and there's been lots of great writing and insights to be found.

Anyway, partly to thank Stip for his trouble and generous spirit (actually I've assumed Stip is a man, but I'm not sure whether I know this for certain... you kind of pick these things up along the way!!) - and partly because we have had a discussion about this in the thread - I thought it would be interesting for us to try and compile a definitive 'Live Backspacer' for people to listen to as an occasional alternative to the studio album, and to continue with some of the themes raised in the Guided Tour thread.

There are a few reasons for this (has there been a 'Live Backspacer' thread on this already? - and if so, can somebody link me to it here?). The main reasons in my mind are these.

There has been some discussion about whether the songs on the studio Backspacer have been delivered better elsewhere, and whether some of the shortcomings of the album have been put to rights on the road
It might be fun trying to agree on and compile an alternative live version of the album - in this case partly to thank Stip for his efforts, and their success in generating some meaningful discussion on the porch, but also because it's interesting in itself.
Dr. Zoidberg doesn't tend to listen so much to the live bootlegs and all his reviews focus on the studio albums, so it would be interesting to see what he made of this

Now my hunch is the best live versions of Backspacer songs which may impress Dr. Zoidberg are ones which have a 'studio' quality to them - clear rich vocals, tight playing, good sound and production, with maybe a bit of extra energy etc. So in this case I don't think we are looking for the most 'wild' versions necessarily, but rather the ones where people clearly think the song 'comes off' better than the album version.

I'm not sure how this will work out - but this is my version of 'Got Some', which I think beats the studio version and does full justice to the song:

Got Some, London 2010

Any takers??

:D
Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    its not wot you want but i like it so here goes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3m4gvJDrlo
    happy Sunday all :D
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,445
    1) Gonna See My Friend, Berlin 2010
    2) Got Some, Salt Lake City 2009
    3) The Fixer, Bristow 2010
    4) Johnny Guitar, Cleveland 2010
    5) Just Breathe, Werchter 2010
    6) Amongst The Waves, Kansas City 2010
    7) Unthought Known, Los Angeles 2009
    8) Supersonic, Portland 2009
    9) Speed Of Sound, Hartford 2010
    10) Force Of Nature, Boston 2010
    11) The End, New York (Night 2) 2010

Enjoy! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pap wrote:

Hahaha - the end!!

I'm gonna have to listen to all those now to check! thanks. A good start - thanks for taking the trouble.

I think what we're really looking for are performances which 'work' better than the album versions - for one reason or another, in doing justice to the song and delivering the intention of the piece, the words, the themes, the aims. A great starting point for reflecting on these factors would be Stip's reviews!!

The reason I chose the London version of Got Some is because I think that song and its message is all about shaking yourself out of a lethargy - calling on our reserves, our connection with the band and the music, and saying 'Let's go!!' - and for me this version has that effect - so in this case I find it not the most polished performance, but the one that delivers what I hear the song it trying to do and say - so another song will require a different kind of delivery. If anyone wants to say why they like a particular version or why they think it delivers the song better than on the album, I'm all for it!! If not, then that's cool too. Like I say, I've no idea if this thread is going to go anywhere in particular. Thanks for the responses so far!
    Post edited by tremors on

• Options
    guypjfreak wrote:
    its not wot you want but i like it so here goes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3m4gvJDrlo
    happy Sunday all :D

Yes this is a really good video. I remember watching it from last year. Thanks, it's relevant!

• Options
    Pearl Jam Online put together a Live Backspacer a few months back. I personally don't think they've got the "best" versions on there, particularly since there's been a few more to choose from since then, but for what it's worth, you can find it here: http://www.pearljamonline.it/mp3.htm
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    Pearl Jam Online put together a Live Backspacer a few months back. I personally don't think they've got the "best" versions on there, particularly since there's been a few more to choose from since then, but for what it's worth, you can find it here: http://www.pearljamonline.it/mp3.htm

Thanks, yes, I'm sure I had read something about this somewhere. I'll have a listen, thanks. Maybe we could work out from there!

• Options
    also dont forget an album is made just to be played..if its you at home in the car or jogging ...it a different beast altogether live.even its evil/better twin brother.

i do find it hard to say a live recording is greater then an album track..ok if you went to the show and saw it played live that again brings hightened feeling towards that track.but is it better then a studio version.i dont know..yeah its different ..

sorry if this has all been said in stips thread but ive not read it .....which i will correct now ..

edit ..just read some of it ...shit theres alot to get though..i see why you like it..your sort of writing.shame i cant write like that .but

i will come back to my point above...sometimes music just needs to be played and left alone..enjoy it dont dissect it.a song may mean one thing to you and another to me...and i bet something totally differnet to the band member that wrote it..

ok tremors dont go writing a page back at me telling me your agree..3 words will do ;) ok 4
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    :D

Fair enough, and good points. I agree mostly.

I don't mind if people don't want to get involved in or want to read the longer discussions about the music at all. But what I don't like is when people wade in and criticise the people who do enjoy reading or writing longer pieces about Pearl Jam on the Porch, or who like to join the discussion, either with a few words or a longer piece themselves. I love the chatty parts of the forum - but I don't think I've ever gone out of my way to tell anyone to 'shut up' if their post is too short, or not what I want to read. (I'm not referring to you here thrilla, you is one of the good guys!!)

I think what Stip's thread does is show that there are plenty of people who want to read stuff like that who visit the Porch - many probably rarely post here. Maybe they would feel able to join in more if some current Porch members weren't so quick to attack any kind of more reflective writing. As I quoted over in the other thread - this is what the Porch is supposed to be about:

The Porch
    Step out on the porch to discuss Pearl Jam's music, tour, appearances, causes they support, etc. It's all about Pearl Jam here.

• Options
    I know! dammit :(

Where's dimi? Probably talking about the box set or playing Monopoly with Stone. Sounds much more fun than my idea!! :lol:

I'll probably go find him soon!

• Options
    lol..ok ok so you really want me to write a long draw out reply about why i like backspacer live over the normal album..

i cant on many levels.

1.i like the album alot and as said above feel live songs dont replace studio tracks .two different things
    2.i dont think i can remember which track of unthought known is the best live. or any other track
    3.im not as gifted as you in the lingue world.
    4.writing this much is making my come over in a cold sweat.
    5.i think most of what need to be said has been covered.
    6.when death on ten legs coming out .
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,383
    monopoly.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    Wouldn't it be cool if PJ (as a fan-club only, or even download only) went back and compiled live cuts of every album and released a live version of each studio album?

The only problem I could forsee is the fact that they might not have played every single song live, i.e.) "red dot" on Yield. Or maybe the songs that are very seldom played do not have great versions out there.

But off the top of my head, they could definitely do this for Ten, Vs., ST, Binaural, and Backspacer. Probably could do No Code and Yield. Vitalogy would be a struggle. Riot Act could be done, but I don't know how many people would want to hear it (sorry Riot Act fans. just my opinion).
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    lol..ok ok so you really want me to write a long draw out reply about why i like backspacer live over the normal album..

i cant on many levels.

1.i like the album alot and as said above feel live songs dont replace studio tracks .two different things
    2.i dont think i can remember which track of unthought known is the best live. or any other track
    3.im not as gifted as you in the lingue world.
    4.writing this much is making my come over in a cold sweat.
    5.i think most of what need to be said has been covered.
    6.when death on ten legs coming out .

No sorry - miscommunication - it wasn't my intention to give you that impression thrilla- for once I wasn't being sarcastic!! Don't want you cold sweating - you're fine as you are!!

• Options
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    Wouldn't it be cool if PJ (as a fan-club only, or even download only) went back and compiled live cuts of every album and released a live version of each studio album?

The only problem I could forsee is the fact that they might not have played every single song live, i.e.) "red dot" on Yield. Or maybe the songs that are very seldom played do not have great versions out there.

But off the top of my head, they could definitely do this for Ten, Vs., ST, Binaural, and Backspacer. Probably could do No Code and Yield. Vitalogy would be a struggle. Riot Act could be done, but I don't know how many people would want to hear it (sorry Riot Act fans. just my opinion).

Yes that would be really cool. Interesting too. But I'm wondering if we could do something like that ourselves - would be hard to agree! - but it might be worthwhile. We could just make votes for favourite cuts, if we didn't want to have the lengthy discussions!!

• Options
    I agree with thethrilla also - that the studio albums are different beasts entirely - but I would be interested in hearing something like this, just as an occasional alternative - I sometimes think people like the most 'rocking' live versions the best - and I never quite know why one person prefers one live version over another - it's just some live versions have a different 'magic' than on the albums - I always think of Garden in Milan 2000 for example.

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I think I said this somewhere else, but BS is the first PJ album where I enjoy the actual album than hearing them live... With the exception of Unthought Known, I don't think they translate well to the live shows. Can't say that about any of the previous albums. In fact, I prefer to listen to boots of all the rest of their catalog vs the albums themselves.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    I think I said this somewhere else, but BS is the first PJ album where I enjoy the actual album than hearing them live... With the exception of Unthought Known, I don't think they translate well to the live shows. Can't say that about any of the previous albums. In fact, I prefer to listen to boots of all the rest of their catalog vs the albums themselves.

That's interesting - cos for me it's pretty much the opposite way around - Backspacer is the first album where I find individual songs live exceed the studio versions. I think it's mainly to do with the vocal performances on the records - the fullness, the sound - so I know a lot of people prefer rearviewmirror live over the studio version, whereas I don't - in fact the whole of Vs I have never heard a single live version which moves me as much as the album version!!

I love the live shows, since they are nowadays (with so many great songs to choose from), pretty much a double album all to themselves - and I think the band are incredibly skilled at 'creating' a unique show, a unique experience from the setlist - God knows how they do that, I know of no other band that can do that. (I don't know the Grateful Dead much - maybe they did it!!).

Agreed - it's a strange one. The live shows have a magic of their own and the studio albums have a different magic. This 'live compilation' idea is partly raising my curiosity about whether a live 'album mix' would actually work as a cd in its own right. Don't know!!

• Options
    but can i have love regin o'er me on any album form the o2 2009 that blow me away

OK - bonus track!!

• Options
    Pap wrote:

Ok, I went with the following track list (See Below) for a live version of Backspacer. It is very similar to "Pap's" Track list. It sounds pretty good, and "Pap" did a great job of picking tunes out, but I think that we could improve it. Suggestions?

7) Unthought Known, Los Angeles 10/7/2009
    11) The End, Brisbane 2009
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,383
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Pap wrote:

Ok, I went with the following track list (See Below) for a live version of Backspacer. It is very similar to "Pap's" Track list. It sounds pretty good, and "Pap" did a great job of picking tunes out, but I think that we could improve it. Suggestions?

8) Supersonic, New Orleans 2010

Upon further review... Replace Supersonic (Portland) w/ Supersonic (New Orleans), and you have one great sounding live Version of Backspacer. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Pap wrote:

Upon further review... Replace Supersonic (Portland) w/ Supersonic (New Orleans), and you have one great sounding live Version of Backspacer. Thoughts?
    Interesting... Nothing from the Philly shows? I would say Gonna See My Friend as the opener on Night 3 might be up there?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

Interesting... Nothing from the Philly shows? I would say Gonna See My Friend as the opener on Night 3 might be up there?

I kind of thought that myself after I made my last post. That would be a great way to open a Live Backspacer cd. Anyway, If anybody would like to hear the way I set it up, I have posted a copy of it on my blog. Check it out and give it a listen.
    http://rearviewmirrorbootlegs.blogspot. ... -live.html
  • Options
    Pap wrote:

Thanks man. Time to fire up my itunes!! May take me a little while as might have to re-rip a few etc. I think dimi can insert whatever he likes in there - even if it's rubbish - the amount of good karma he gives off around here! :lol:

Very very helpful Cameron4President

• Options

I kind of thought that myself after I made my last post. That would be a great way to open a Live Backspacer cd. Anyway, If anybody would like to hear the way I set it up, I have posted a copy of it on my blog. Check it out and give it a listen.
    http://rearviewmirrorbootlegs.blogspot. ... -live.html

Thanks lots for all the trouble - and thanks for cutting through all that 'discussion' crap too! :lol:

I'm about to have a good listen!!

• Options
    Sorry for the delay in evaluating your mix! Got hit by a double whammy of rogue virus attack, and rogue friend calling round to amuse me. Both of which have now been safely dispatched!

Have listened to the first 4 rockers so far - sounding pretty damned good!! These are just my opening two pennies - I'm not a religious fundamentalist - so people may disagree with this account!!

I think got some and the fixer are spot on, and work really well next to each other - amazing versions of those two songs, some of the best - and got me fired up and adrenalin pumping.... yep, more than on the album versions, so they fit the bill!!

Gonna see my friend I thought we could do better - there are a few vocal 'messups', and whilst the sound and instrumentation was first class - I think I've heard better versions of this song - I'll try the opener from Philly 3; since opening a show with the opening song is bound to have given it that 'coming out of the gates' effect we're wanting I think.

Feel free to disagree with me on this one - but I didn't get on too well with the Johnny guitar - the versions so far had been pretty 'heavy' which was good, but for me this last one meant the combined effect was Ed starting to stray into 'Hulk Hogan' territory.... hmmmm - I wonder if there is a subtler version floating around. I guess depending on the position the songs come in the actual show - after a slow number, after a heavy number etc, there is going to be different emphasis placed on that part of the live set, and how the song comes off.

So, don't crucify me :lol: I'll go back to it and listen to a few more now - what is most impressive is that the idea does actually work! - those two middle songs especially I thought - had me fired up more than the album versions, and DEFINITELY communicated something different from the album. 'Interesting' lol - I promise not to use this word again in this thread!! I know other fansites have done things like this before, but I wonder if anyone has yet tried to do it as a collaborative effort,,,.?

Thanks for listing this for us :D

RIght - back to work!!