Options

Columbus, OH 20th Anniversary Party-details

catschellercatscheller Posts: 228
edited December 2010 in The Porch
From now on, I'll update this first post with new details as they emerge. Here's where we are so far:

last updated 10/11/10

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pearl-Jam-20th-Anniversary-Party-Columbus-OH/165071726838035

Date: October 22, 2010
Location: Victory's (543 S. High St., Columbus OH 43215) - they do serve food & have a private parking lot
Charity: Crime Stoppers / Brian Shaffer
Band: The Real California (PJ covers and originals)

Tentative timeline:
7pm: concert DVDs/happy hour
8pm: playing the bootleg of the Oct. 22, 1990 concert
9 pm: band
10 pm: announce raffle winners
11 or 11:30 pm: Open Jam of Jam (open mic)
Columbus, OH 6/24/03
Columbus, OH 5/6/10
Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    So...um... apparently either no one is interested or everyone is busy with Labor Day vacations and/or Rosh Hashanah preparations?

If there is anyone interested in a 20th anniversary party, the ideas I threw out there are just suggestions, I'm always open to other ideas!
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Move it from Central Ohio to Central Pennsylvania and we'll party!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    pjscorp5pjscorp5 Ohio Posts: 42
    Sounds good to me....I have not been on here in a few days because of work, kids, holidays...If you plan they will come...oh yes they will... :D
    You cannot lose if you throw the race....
  • Options
    Move it from Central Ohio to Central Pennsylvania and we'll party!

Wish I could but my job situation is too much up in the air right now to make any travel plans. But we'd love to have you come here!
    Sounds good to me....I have not been on here in a few days because of work, kids, holidays...If you plan they will come...oh yes they will...

This is what I'm hoping! But the risk averse event planner in me would like to see how much interest there would be before I start lining things up... :?
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    whatever you do, don't have it at the bar that hosted the 10c preparty back in may. service was brutal.

perhaps we should have a national PJ in the bar day 8-)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I would be down.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,835
    I'd be down too. contact Wishlist if we're going with a charity. Have one in mind if/when you cantact.lots to coordinate. Also PM LostinOhio. He organized the preparty in may. He can give you the ins and outs.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    whatever you do, don't have it at the bar that hosted the 10c preparty back in may. service was brutal.

I definitely was not thinking of that bar. I try to avoid the Arena District and all the meat market bars there as much as possible. I was thinking of having it at Victory's in German Village (south end of downtown).

Since there does seem to be some interest, I shall start the planning! Yay!
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    I'm most definitely interested. It's been rather boring this summer in cbus, and while I'm still waiting for school to start back up, having this on the horizon would be pretty cool. If any help is needed, just let me know.
  • Options
    I'm so glad to see the interest in having this event! I spoke with the manager of Victory's last night and he said that the space is available on Oct. 22 and he has us penciled in. In addition, he does not yet have any bands booked for that night, so he's giving us some time to book whomever we'd like. Finally, he's also a big PJ fan and is totally down for this event!

Next week I'll be sure to contact Wishlist and LostInOhio. If any of you are interested in helping with the planning (I'm looking at you, mrshock13 :) ), perhaps we can get together some night to compare ideas.
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'm so glad to see the interest in having this event! I spoke with the manager of Victory's last night and he said that the space is available on Oct. 22 and he has us penciled in. In addition, he does not yet have any bands booked for that night, so he's giving us some time to book whomever we'd like. Finally, he's also a big PJ fan and is totally down for this event!

Next week I'll be sure to contact Wishlist and LostInOhio. If any of you are interested in helping with the planning (I'm looking at you, mrshock13 :) ), perhaps we can get together some night to compare ideas.

Sign me up too.
    Thanks so much for organizing this, sounds like it will be a FUN EVENT!!
    I have the “Live at the Garden” DVD & would be happy to bring it to the party.
    We could play this after Touring Band if time allows.
    I also like the idea of trying to help in the Brian Shafer cause.
    It was a special moment when Pearl Jam dedicated “Comeback” to Brian in May…
    If we can keep Brian’s story in the public eye in Columbus, maybe we’ll eventually find him.
    A few years ago, I shot a Public Service Announcement with Randy Shafer & Anthony Luzio Sr. and would be glad to bring a copy of this to the event, and run it before and after the Pearl Jam Concert DVD’s.
    I also have some pretty good media contacts, so if you want to have any media coverage of the event, I can help out with this too.
    I’ve never been to Victory’s and don’t know what they have as far as Audio / Visual equipment for the event, but if you need it, I could get access to a DVD player, projector, screen & speakers for playback.
    Let me know if you want me to check into this, My boss at work is GREAT and if these items aren’t in use by a paying client, I’m sure he’d let me have them for the night!!
    Looking forward to helping out with the Anniversary Party. :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

Hahaha, most definitely, let me know. This seems like a pretty cool idea, so I'd definitely help if it could make it happen.
  • Options
    derbydave wrote:

Sign me up too.
    Thanks so much for organizing this, sounds like it will be a FUN EVENT!!
    I have the “Live at the Garden” DVD & would be happy to bring it to the party.
    We could play this after Touring Band if time allows.
    I also like the idea of trying to help in the Brian Shafer cause.
    It was a special moment when Pearl Jam dedicated “Comeback” to Brian in May…
    If we can keep Brian’s story in the public eye in Columbus, maybe we’ll eventually find him.
    A few years ago, I shot a Public Service Announcement with Randy Shafer & Anthony Luzio Sr. and would be glad to bring a copy of this to the event, and run it before and after the Pearl Jam Concert DVD’s.
    I also have some pretty good media contacts, so if you want to have any media coverage of the event, I can help out with this too.
    I’ve never been to Victory’s and don’t know what they have as far as Audio / Visual equipment for the event, but if you need it, I could get access to a DVD player, projector, screen & speakers for playback.
    Let me know if you want me to check into this, My boss at work is GREAT and if these items aren’t in use by a paying client, I’m sure he’d let me have them for the night!!
    Looking forward to helping out with the Anniversary Party. :ugeek:

Thanks for all the offers of help and equipment! I'm 99% sure that they have a DVD player there and I know they have a projector since they show games on the projection screens all the time. I also know that their sound equipment is good since bands play there all the time.

And speaking of bands, does anyone know of any local PJ cover bands?
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    corduroycorduroy Lexington, OH Posts: 117
    Awesome! I live in Mansfield....I'll be there!

Why not have a band AND a jam night where anyone can get up and play PJ songs? I play rhythm guitar...can't play lead for shit. I know about 20 pj songs and can sorta sing some. Anyone wanna throw a tribute band together in a month? I'm totally down!!!
    1994 - Cleveland, 1998 - Cleveland, 2000 - Columbus, 2003 - Cleveland/Columbus, 2006 - Cleveland, 2009 - Philly 1, 2010 - Columbus/Cleveland, 2013 - Pittsburgh/Buffalo, 2014 - Cincy/Detroit, 2016-Lexington/Wrigley #1, 2018- Fenway 1, 2022-Nashville, 2024-Seattle1/Noblesville/Baltimore
  • Options
    corduroy wrote:

Why not have a band AND a jam night where anyone can get up and play PJ songs? I play rhythm guitar...can't play lead for shit. I know about 20 pj songs and can sorta sing some. Anyone wanna throw a tribute band together in a month? I'm totally down!!!

Now that's an interesting idea! Too bad the extent of my musical abilities only involves barely being able to play a few songs on the piano. :(
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    catschellercatscheller Posts: 228
    edited September 2010
    Alright, so here are the few details we have so far:

Date: October 22, 2010
    Location: Victory's (543 S. High St., Columbus OH 43215) - they do serve food also
    Time: ?
    Charity: ?

I've PM'd Lost In Ohio to ask for his advice since it was mentioned upthread that he'd planned the May pre-party, but I have not heard back yet.

I've also been in contact with a member of No Code (PJ tribute band out of New Jersey) who is a 10C member and he said he would check with the other band members to see if they are available and willing to play at the party. I was thinking that in order to pay them we could charge a cover at the door.

Is everyone cool with donating to CrimeStoppers/Brian Shaffer again for the charity?

As far as the timeline goes, this is what I was thinking of:
    6pm: concert DVD/happy hour
    8pm: playing the bootleg of the Oct. 22, 1990 concert
    9 or 10pm: band
    Based on corduroy's idea, we could also maybe work some sort of open mic period in there.

We could do a raffle for the Wishlist charity event. Please let me know if you have any items to donate so we know what to expect. I can get raffle tickets. We could announce the raffle winners during the band.

I will contact the manager at Victory's to see what the minimum age limit is for the bar. I think that it is at least 18+. Finally, although we have a lot of great Ohio 10C members, I don't know that there are enough to attend to fill up the place so I was hoping everyone would be ok with opening this up to the public. I would also like to put it up on the PJ Facebook page. I'll make up a flyer once we get some more details nailed down.

Let me know what you all think and if you have any other ideas!
    Post edited by catscheller on
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    Newman. wrote:

perhaps we should have a national PJ in the bar day 8-)

Yeah, Garage Bar's manager (?) came to us. I'll agree with anyone who says they needed more staff. Great place, just about 5-8 staff members short, if not more. There's also a hockey game at the arena that night, so traffic is going to be major suckage around the area, and parking will certainly be at a premium and probably rather expensive for a night of drinking and having fun. Garage Bar is out, if only because of the game.

If we could get them to loosen up their age policy, that would be another good idea. Maybe "anyone under 18 must be accompanied by adult" or even an "all ages" would be nice. Honestly, i'm not a fan of age policies, especially since this is for a good cause.

I echo all the stuff about Brian Shaffer, and I could easily talk to the woman who runs the findbrianshaffer.com website. I know she and Kevin (the guy in charge of Central Ohio Crime Stoppers) would be down for it. I'm sure they'd want to mention other missing persons, as they did last time, and I know we'd be cool with that.

Just about the only tribute band I know of is that "Even Flow" from the Chicago area. Are they still around? Maybe they're an option?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    I'm glad you finally found the thread, Lost In Ohio! I'm not sure if you noticed from my previous post (I know it was long :? ), but we already have Victory's in the Brewery District (south of downtown) reserved for the event and I'm "in talks" with No Code to see if they can play. Even Flow was going to be the next band I would approach if No Code is unavailable/not willing.

If you would be willing to arrange the Crime Stoppers part of the event, that would be fantastic! Thanks for your help!
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    Oh, and in case it is important to anyone (and I'm sure it is) Victory's has its own parking lot. I know parking can be a concern in the Brewery District/German Village part of town.
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    I'm glad you finally found the thread, Lost In Ohio! I'm not sure if you noticed from my previous post (I know it was long :? ), but we already have Victory's in the Brewery District (south of downtown) reserved for the event and I'm "in talks" with No Code to see if they can play. Even Flow was going to be the next band I would approach if No Code is unavailable/not willing.

If you would be willing to arrange the Crime Stoppers part of the event, that would be fantastic! Thanks for your help!

Yeah, I knew that we probably wouldn't go back to Garage Bar, but my curiousity was such that I wanted to see if anything was at the arena. Seeing as there is an event there, it would be quite foolish to attempt anything in the area with the increase in traffic and parking prices.

You seem to have a good handle on things! :)

And yeah, I'll send an email and see what's going on.--EMAIL SENT!

In addition, if we open it up to everyone, we may also be able to promote it through local (Columbus) media outlets. If we did it in advance, then we could get a higher turnout and invite local media to cover the event.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    In addition, if we open it up to everyone, we may also be able to promote it through local (Columbus) media outlets. If we did it in advance, then we could get a higher turnout and invite local media to cover the event.

This is exactly what I was thinking! And derbydave said that he has media contacts he could talk to about this.

Edited to add: From now on, I'll be updating the first post of the thread with new details as they emerge.
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    corduroycorduroy Lexington, OH Posts: 117
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeetness!

By the way, I do a radio show on Saturdays and Sundays....although it's on a adult contemporary station that plays ZERO pj.....I can start spreading the word up here in Mansfield.
    1994 - Cleveland, 1998 - Cleveland, 2000 - Columbus, 2003 - Cleveland/Columbus, 2006 - Cleveland, 2009 - Philly 1, 2010 - Columbus/Cleveland, 2013 - Pittsburgh/Buffalo, 2014 - Cincy/Detroit, 2016-Lexington/Wrigley #1, 2018- Fenway 1, 2022-Nashville, 2024-Seattle1/Noblesville/Baltimore
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I echo all the stuff about Brian Shaffer, and I could easily talk to the woman who runs the findbrianshaffer.com website. I know she and Kevin (the guy in charge of Central Ohio Crime Stoppers) would be down for it. I'm sure they'd want to mention other missing persons, as they did last time, and I know we'd be cool with that.

We've just finished working on a DVD project with Kevin from Crimestoppers...
    I shot a documentary with several family members of murder victims in Central Ohio.
    If you talk to him tell him that Dave, the shooter from Brainstorm Media is involved in this event too!!
    I'd be more that happy to help out with anything that needs to be done for the event, just let me know what needs to be done!
    I can definitely help out with lining up media coverage for the event and if you want me to get a copy of the Public Service Announcement I shot with Randy Shaffer & Anthony Luzio Sr. ( I may have 2 different PSA's ) to run during the party, I can do that too!! :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Small update:

The person who runs the Brian Shaffer website is extremely busy these few days, but says she'll read my email later this weekend.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    You guys may want to try getting in touch w/ the Ten Band, they are based out of Pittsburgh and put on a pretty good show.
  • Options
    corduroy wrote:

I play drums, bass, guitar, and sing. I'd definitely be up for playing some PJ tunes. I can drum almost every single PJ song, and play most of their songs on bass.
  • Options
    UpSideDown wrote:
    You guys may want to try getting in touch w/ the Ten Band, they are based out of Pittsburgh and put on a pretty good show.

Fantastic! They are definitely the closest one I've heard of yet. I'll contact them today!
    We've just finished working on a DVD project with Kevin from Crimestoppers...
    I shot a documentary with several family members of murder victims in Central Ohio.
    If you talk to him tell him that Dave, the shooter from Brainstorm Media is involved in this event too!!
    I'd be more that happy to help out with anything that needs to be done for the event, just let me know what needs to be done!
    I can definitely help out with lining up media coverage for the event and if you want me to get a copy of the Public Service Announcement I shot with Randy Shaffer & Anthony Luzio Sr. ( I may have 2 different PSA's ) to run during the party, I can do that too!!

derbydave - I've totally been meaning to PM you about all of this. Although I have tons of experience in event planning, I have never really had to do anything with the media for an event. And I think showing the PSA you made would be great! Look for a PM from me sometime today!
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    Also, although I think that being able to plan through e-mails, PMs, and message boards is a great technological advancement, I still tend to be kind of old school in that I like to have face-to-face meetings with people.

So, I would love to have a small "planning committee" meeting for any of you interested in helping with the planning process. I was thinking about meeting next week at around 6:00pm at Classic's (the bar attached to Victory's - Victory's is only open for events and bands). That way anyone who wants to can see the space and equipment available.

Let me know if you want to participate and what day would work best for you. Thanks!
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    corduroy wrote:
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeetness!

By the way, I do a radio show on Saturdays and Sundays....although it's on a adult contemporary station that plays ZERO pj.....I can start spreading the word up here in Mansfield.

Assuming that they would allow you to do that, it would be awesome! I'm friends with a DJ at 99.7 The Blitz here in Columbus and after we get a few more details nailed down I'll see if she'll help to promote the event also.

It's always so much easier to plan stuff when you're working with a bunch of talented and/or connected people! :D
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    Lori, the woman who runs Brian's site says it's great news and she'll share it with Kevin. She's not sure if she can attend, but she'll send me whatever Kevin says.

She also says she's thankful for the fans. :)

As for what days work for me? Sundays are much, much, much better than Saturday.

During the week, Mondays are good. Tuesdays are bad. Wednesdays are good. Thursdays are bad. Friday the 1st is good. The 8th is good until 8:15 or so. The 15th is bad.