Options

Altar

theeagle78theeagle78 Posts: 54
edited March 2012 in The Porch
i just heard this song altar for the first time and now i cant stop listening to it...the recording was made in '95...was this just an improv?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    I'm wondering about this too. I've managed to find out that it was played in Melbourne, March 17, 1995. But that's it... I guess it must be original, since I can't find anything it could be a cover for. Either way, it's not listed on this website as ever having been performed. Why would that be? Any guesses? Perhaps they specifically left it off for some meaningful reason? Or do they hate it for some reason?? I'd love to know! It's an amazing song. It should be heard more (unless that meaningful reason can convince me otherwise).
    I've seen it titled as "Words Seem So Out of Place" too... who picked, and which one is correct? Anyone know?

Here are the lyrics (from http://www.songmeanings.net - haven't check how accurate these are yet):

I seem so overcome, yeah...

Words seem so out of place
    words they fall off my altar
    How did I get to this place?

Seems so, sounds so familiar
    Lost in my dying, cold cry...
    All their dreams, there's a million, yeah...
    So does it feel time to say a prayer?

Hey, yeah...

Words they seemed out of place
    Words they seem out of place
    Falling out on my face, yeah...
    Words just seem out of place...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 593
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Options
    RhinoJam wrote:

good song, right? :) I've got the mp3; one of my faves ... I want the story though! How come not listed as a song they ever performed?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    :shock:

how have i never heard this??? sounds great!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,049
    i had this boot on tape and must have listened to it a thousand times back in 90's. something about the sound to this specific show just rings forever in my mind. love it
  • Options
    Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    I have about 20 cds in my car, all burns I've made. Every single one opens with Alter.. " Fallen ooouuutt of my faaayaaace....( at least that's what I say )...
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • Options
    Speaking of bootlegs (and totally off topic), I just heard (and downloaded) The Who cover "A Quick One (While He's Away)" - Eddie Vedder w/ My Morning Jacket from the '06 PJ tour, and it is awesome. :)
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Speaking of bootlegs (and totally off topic), I just heard (and downloaded) The Who cover "A Quick One (While He's Away)" - Eddie Vedder w/ My Morning Jacket from the '06 PJ tour, and it is awesome. :)
    You can watch it on the Immagine In Cornice DVD, too.
  • Options
    swans05swans05 Posts: 108
    i had this boot on tape and must have listened to it a thousand times back in 90's. something about the sound to this specific show just rings forever in my mind. love it

i live in melb now but i grew up in the county 3hrs away and this was live on the radio station Triple J...my brother went to the concert the night before or after (??) at the myer music bowl where fans smashed the fences down and another 20,000+ watched the show

this concert in particular does have a certain feel to it though and i always thought it had...i must have listened to it in full a million times and this song was a fav for 2yrs easily!!

it was a tab to betterman which was actually preceded by a snippet of i got you by split enz...it was also the concert with the NW speech

rear view mirror solo is also a pearler...and corduroy intro...and release as the first song...
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    swans05 wrote:

i live in melb now but i grew up in the county 3hrs away and this was live on the radio station Triple J...my brother went to the concert the night before or after (??) at the myer music bowl where fans smashed the fences down and another 20,000+ watched the show

this concert in particular does have a certain feel to it though and i always thought it had...i must have listened to it in full a million times and this song was a fav for 2yrs easily!!

it was a tab to betterman which was actually preceded by a snippet of i got you by split enz...it was also the concert with the NW speech

rear view mirror solo is also a pearler...and corduroy intro...and release as the first song...

i love the intro to even flow off of this one too
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    swans05swans05 Posts: 108
    i was thinking of how i could type that intro??

well i'll go with:

"danganangadanganangadow

danganangadangananga...'

and into it

yep that definitely worked