Options

Like Pilate: A Hero has a dog: Thank you Faithfull!!

elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
edited August 2013 in Lost Dogs
8/1/13: UPDATE!
http://www.sacfund.org/Pages/FeaturedRescueStory.aspx
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm not sure where to put this but due to the amazing support and generosity from mostly given through Lost Dogs, let's give this a shot!

As many of you know, I run a local non-profit where we send lots of goodies and loving reminders in the form of care packages to our brave women and men serving in Afghanistan and supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. We also facilitate and coordinate "rock star fashion" Welcome Home Celebrations for local returning Vets here in South Jersey.

Anyway, we received an interesting request from one of our care package recipients. Although this is not an official mission of OYR of SJ, we love the request:

A Soldier deployed in Afghanistan has become very fond and attached to a new friend during his deployment. That new friend has lots of fur, 4 legs, and a wet nose. This new friend is named "Lunch". "Lunch" is a stray Afghan dog that has also become very fond and loyal to this specific soldier where their bond is priceless.

This Soldier has found a non-profit to assist him with hopes of getting "Lunch" all caught up on shots, healthy, and eventually on his way to The USA as this soldier is going to adopt and rescue "Lunch". More details on Lunch's story can be found here:

http://www.sacfund.org/Pages/UpcomingRescues.aspx (scroll down as Lunch is a few dogs down)

The Soldier has asked us to ask others for help. You can help in multiple ways:
1) Please consider making a generous (tax deductible) donation to help raise funds for medical and transportation costs. To donate, please click here and select “Soldiers Animal Companions“ from the menu. Under the space marked "Special Instructions", please type in that your "donation is for Lunch".

In the US: https://npo1.networkforgood.org/Donate/ ... ionId=6711
Outside the US (UK, etc): http://www.gofundme.com/Lunch
2) Please forward this to all of your contacts. Please place it on your Facebook pages. Please ask everyone you forward it to to forward it as well and place it on their Facebook pages and so on. If this goes viral, we should have no problem helping this American Hero bring home his new "FAITHFULL" fury friend...

Thank you for your help and consideration!!

For The Troops,

David (elwayvedder)
Operation Yellow Ribbon of South Jersey
http://www.operationyellowribbonsouthjersey.org
pug7p.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    If people want to read about the charity that do the actual rescuing and look after the animals in Afghanistan it is a British charity called Nowzad.

http://www.nowzad.com/
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    chime wrote:
    If people want to read about the charity that do the actual rescuing and look after the animals in Afghanistan it is a British charity called Nowzad.

http://www.nowzad.com/

That is correct, thank you Chime! Nowzad is an amazing organization. I recommend everyone go to their Facebook page especially if you love dogs and cats!
  • Options
    crickK409crickK409 Posts: 54
    Amazing work as always Dave. Donation made!
  • Options
    crickK409 wrote:
    Amazing work as always Dave. Donation made!

I didn't do anything but thank you for your generosity!! I got an email from this soldier today and he can't believe the amount of support back home helping him bring home his new soul mate. What a great way to help him get thru the remaining months of his deployment as he has hope and something to look forward to for years to come with this little fury thing
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Donated! I hope Lunch and the soldier gets reunited. I love furry friends with wet noses :)

Have you thought of posting on the doggie thread on AET? I think there's a thread of dog owners posting stinking cute pictures of their pups. I lurk from time to time. Someday, I'll have a furry friend of my own!
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    This is a very cool charity/cause. Do you know how much it takes to get the dogs to the US? I wish I was rich so I could just fund it myself...

Will make a donation and post around and hopefully get some more in.
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Donation made - can't say 'no' to a rescue dog or the people who love them :)
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited April 2013
    drsluggo wrote:
    This is a very cool charity/cause. Do you know how much it takes to get the dogs to the US? I wish I was rich so I could just fund it myself...

This is so true!!!
    The people that arrange the travel and flights for the animals make so much money. I wish the doggie good luck if he can survive the quarantine . I can't financially donate but it's expensive just so everyone knows.

This is unfair because most or all airlines do not allow reptiles at all. I tried to rescue a boa constrictor and I couldn't make it happen.

This must be a super special puppy.

I'm not joking. If you tweet.
    http://eldridelephant.wordpress.com/joi ... f-code-en/

It's global and they will do anything they can if you get the message out there.
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    Donated! I hope Lunch and the soldier gets reunited. I love furry friends with wet noses :)

Have you thought of posting on the doggie thread on AET? I think there's a thread of dog owners posting stinking cute pictures of their pups. I lurk from time to time. Someday, I'll have a furry friend of my own!

Thanks Suziemay for once again your generosity! I rarely head over to AET so it didn't even occur to me to post it there. Maybe I will later today. I don't want to overdue it and become one of those folks that flood every forum with the same topic, you know?

drsluggo wrote:

Will make a donation and post around and hopefully get some more in.

For this particular dog and because of what he weighs (for the flight), they are raising $4000. "Lunch" has been with Nowzad almost a week now and they started getting him updated on some of his shots and just got him "fixed" (I don't think that's what PJ had in mind with The Fixer LOL). The $4000 covers medical treatment, food, and the flight expenses to get Lunch to the US and his stay at Nowzad for the next three months. Some dogs, depending on their weight are less and a few are $5000 or more. I wish we could help every dog. Its such a shame to see such amazing souls stray like that. You can help besides donating. Forward the link and details to everyone you know as well is just as helpful as donating!! You guys and gals on here are an amazing Force of Nature!! Thank you everyone who donated, who helped spread the word, or both!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Jesus I am bawling after reading all of those. I'm gonna plaster this all over the internet k? Good luck with Lunch & his human - and thank you, elway for doing what you do. :clap:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    Jesus I am bawling after reading all of those. I'm gonna plaster this all over the internet k? Good luck with Lunch & his human - and thank you, elway for doing what you do. :clap:

"Lunch and his human"...I love that! Can I use that? It sounds so right. Who are we to say XYZ and his dog? Its definitely "Lunch and his human!"

Please do plaster this all over the internet. The more awareness brought to SAC and Nowzad, the more help these dogs and our Brave Women and Men get!!

In fact, SAC is based out of...SEATTLE!! Know any great rock bands that like to help others who help others...hmmm...here's hoping those that run the Vitalogy Foundation and PJ's Activism is now aware of these great organizations that help our fury friends
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:

"Lunch and his human"...I love that! Can I use that? It sounds so right. Who are we to say XYZ and his dog? Its definitely "Lunch and his human!"

Please do plaster this all over the internet. The more awareness brought to SAC and Nowzad, the more help these dogs and our Brave Women and Men get!!

In fact, SAC is based out of...SEATTLE!! Know any great rock bands that like to help others who help others...hmmm...here's hoping those that run the Vitalogy Foundation and PJ's Activism is now aware of these great organizations that help our fury friends

Go for it - that phrase is all yours!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    Thank you so much for posting this! I work with a local rescue group and take in fosters. The stories of these dogs is absolutely heartbreaking. One of my fosters (Pearl - who I adopted because I can't live without her) was in a small kennel for 6 years. Her only function was to have pups. Because she didn't get out of the kennel for all of those years, she has permanent back problems that have caused her back to push into her bladder, making her incontinent. So, she will always be in a diaper. I'm fine with that.

That's just one of many stories. Most are worse that Pearl's...

Sorry-I stray!!! Again, thank you for posting. I will absolutely donate and post on FaceBook.
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • Options
    I'm happy to announce that I just heard back from SAC (http://www.sacfund.org) and we did it! This has been funded!!
    They will update their website soon but I just wanted to pass along this amazing news and thank all of you who helped in some fashion or multiple fashions.

Please don't let this stop you from helping SAC or any other similar nonprofit like Nowzad as there a lot of these sweet puppies out there and lots of Soldiers who would benefit from coming home with one.

Thank you
    EV
  • Options
    I'm happy to announce that I just heard back from SAC (http://www.sacfund.org) and we did it! This has been funded!!
    They will update their website soon but I just wanted to pass along this amazing news and thank all of you who helped in some fashion or multiple fashions.

Please don't let this stop you from helping SAC or any other similar nonprofit like Nowzad as there a lot of these sweet puppies out there and lots of Soldiers who would benefit from coming home with one.

Thank you
    EV
    Yea!!! Best news I've heard all week.

tumblr_me2c57Qkrm1rgkou7o1_500.gif
  • Options
    Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300
    :clap::clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Options
    :clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742

Thank you
    EV
    That was super fast... very cool!! :clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I don't know if Lunch is involved but I saw on Nowzad's facebook page that Afghanistan has put a ban on all animals leaving the country. Means Nowzad are running out of space as they are having to hold on to animals longer than they would normally and they arr trying to build more kennels.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    chime wrote:
    I don't know if Lunch is involved but I saw on Nowzad's facebook page that Afghanistan has put a ban on all animals leaving the country. Means Nowzad are running out of space as they are having to hold on to animals longer than they would normally and they arr trying to build more kennels.

Yes, it sucks and Lunch is involved. Supposedly the ban is temporary but that doesn't help Nowzad at all as you are right, they are taking in more and more dogs with no space since dogs can't go home right now. Lunch doesn't go home until June or July but I hope this thing gets resolved and resolved fast. I wake up every day praying that I will go on line and see it lifted
  • Options
    chime wrote:

Yes, it sucks and Lunch is involved. Supposedly the ban is temporary but that doesn't help Nowzad at all as you are right, they are taking in more and more dogs with no space since dogs can't go home right now. Lunch doesn't go home until June or July but I hope this thing gets resolved and resolved fast. I wake up every day praying that I will go on line and see it lifted

I wanna help :cry:
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for making this happen....

http://www.sacfund.org/Pages/FeaturedRescueStory.aspx
    :clap::clap::clap: and thank YOU Dave for bringing it to our attention. Apparently I use the best thing I've heard all week line a lot but really and truly, best thing I've heard all week! And that includes my PJ birthday show announcement!

Lunch enjoys his three walks per day up and down the sidewalks of his new large neighborhood. And trips in the car!

2013-08-01-034.jpg
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    This is just awesome! I don't know how I missed it initially. Seems like it was a little touch and go there for a while, but a happy ending.

I sent the story to my wife. I'm sure she'll be making contributions to these charities. She's all about helping the critters.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    He's home! Thank goodness! Much love to all that made this happen! I'm in tears right now.
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • Options
    Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300
    YAY!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Options
    ratmandoratmando Moss Beach, CA Posts: 344
    The thing I love best about this story... https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18989_10153060698740506_808509177_n.jpg
    This is my guy, Monty Alexander Jones, whom is sitting on the hubby's lap. Let me tell you his favorite part of the day- we go to the hospital at the Veterans Center... Monty is a Veteran of veterans.. he has me. But he cares for nearly any and ALL wounded and PTSD vets who are also at the hospital and clinic when I go. One of the clinic's calls him "dr. Monty" and a lot of the patients think he is there as the therapy dog, but he is my service dog.

Supporting a soldier and even a civilian, trying to bring back a war pet is huge--- I'm so glad this thread was started and Lunch has a home where he is not going to hear bombs or any of that. Some of the dogs that come back also have PTSD and it's imperative that these sweethearts stay with people who have known and loved them when they've been their most vulnerable, just as it has been for those of us who wore uniforms. Monty ALWAYS has a veterans' card on him, and he very often wears camouflage cloth, as it also helps other PTSD folks approach him as a service dog. The TV commercials with the "WE have Your 6" on them? The only real supporters I had in the service were the animals I got to work with... sadly as a female that was more true than not.

I'm glad 10c'rs got to see the side of the world we live in, and help.. I hope it always stays that way. So much happier doing than talkin'.
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau