Options

Traveling to SF - Have some Questions

KidcloudkickerKidcloudkicker Posts: 403
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi all, I'll be traveling to SF later this week and thought I'd see if any locals or frequent visitors could offer some advice.

First, regarding public transit. We likely be using this for most of our trip, in addition to walking. My question is whether they offer day passes or something like that. We'll be in SF for 5 days staying in Union Square area.

Places we'll be traveling to include:
To and From Airport SFO
A's game and Giants game
Fisherman's wharf (I know its touristy, but we've never been and want to say we have)
Alcatraz
GG Bridge
What else should we see?

Secondly, we enjoy our food and are looking for some suggestions on places to eat and drink. We are looking for more casual or unique places for this trip. Not really planning a fancy dinner.

We are also planning to spend one day and travel either north towards wine country or south towards Monterrey and stay a night there. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Any recommendations or tips are welcome. Thanks!
Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Thanks. I knew I had seen a thread on this top before but for some reason couldn't find it.
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    make reservations for Alcatraz BEFORE you leave for SF-been to SF a dozen times and never got tix for 'same day' tours during the summer.

PM RYEzupSF, she lives there and will tell you kick-ass places to visit/see/do
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    make reservations for Alcatraz BEFORE you leave for SF-been to SF a dozen times and never got tix for 'same day' tours during the summer.

ironically enough, i booked our alcatraz tour last night.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:

I made sure to already book Alcatraz tickets ahead. Seeing the night tour on Sunday.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

ironically enough, i booked our alcatraz tour last night.

psychic I am...yes indeedy. :lol:
    I did get reservations to eat at the restuarant though! :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    House of NanKing
    Vesuvio
    City Lights Bookstore
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Bring warm clothes. Its much colder than you think.
    Don't be that guy driving around in one of those little yellow scooters.
    Do drive up to Marshall on tomales bay and get some oysters at the marshall general store or the tomales bay oyster co. Bring your own wine and sit outside=awesome!
    Do have margaritas at Tommy's (and late night huevos rancheros if you have been out having a few pops).
    Do get a taco at one of the tacquerias.
    Do have a bloody mary and a dungeness crab cocktail at the bar in the tadich grill during "off" hours.
    If its a nice day, do spend an afternoon at the Zeitgeist drinking pitchers of lagunitas IPA, smoking bowls and eating cheeseburgers outside.
    Do go to the Alembic for drinks and some nice food.

At least thats what I did the last time I was in SF. ;)
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I, too, am going to the Bay Area...Memorial day weekend...I can't wait!!...we are going to 2 A's-Yankees games and then I think we are getting the city pass for SF. should be fun!
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    When I was out there a number of years ago, a friend's sister who lived on Haight pointed us to a place down the PCH - The Moss Beach Distillery. Tried to go back there years later and the traffic was too much, so failed. But, barring that, it is well worth the trip. We spent the day on the back lawn (now looks like it may be a patio) wrapped in blankets they provide sipping beers from wax cups (hope they've improved that part, but if not, nobody cares - it makes you drink faster) staring into the sunset over the Pacific. Then went inside and had dinner (and couldn't see a thing having been staring into the sun and drinking for like 5 hours). They have a web-site, so you can check it out if you want.

Good times. Not a local, so maybe a local will say that's the dumbest idea.

Also, check out the Bison in Golden Gate Park.

There was also a bar downtown that had like 3 or 4 different stages. You walk from room to room and you can't hear the band in the next room. It's pretty cool. Again, shown to us by a local, and unfortunately can't remember the name.

And Alcatraz is worth the trip.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I, too, am going to the Bay Area...Memorial day weekend...I can't wait!!...we are going to 2 A's-Yankees games and then I think we are getting the city pass for SF. should be fun!

Two things you must know:

- The coliseum is a freakin' dump ... but at least it's accessible by BART.

- A's fans loathe Yankees fans.

But don't worrry, Yankee fans will probably outnumber the A's fans!

At least that's how it works for us Red Sox fans. :D
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    Hopefully i'll be going there in Aug. to visit a friend. I was there in '03 and had a cool time. Saw Pac Bell Park, Golden Gate Bridge, Wharf, Lombard St. Missed Alacatraz though :(
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    The wharf is not worth more than a hour of your time IMHO. Go early, see it and get out.
    Unless of course you like completely loud touristy things, lines, crowds and high prices.
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    jimed14 wrote:

Two things you must know:

- The coliseum is a freakin' dump ... but at least it's accessible by BART.

- A's fans loathe Yankees fans.

But don't worrry, Yankee fans will probably outnumber the A's fans!

At least that's how it works for us Red Sox fans. :D

I am not worried....I travelled to New England many times sporting my Yankee hat...just a few remarks and looks, but that was it. ;)
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    If you are staying in Union Square you will be able to use public transportation everywhere, except of course when you travel north or south. You have a great list. Baseball will be great. Alcatraz is awesome. The wharf- all you need is an hour and you can do it when you go to A-traz. I also recommend Muir Woods and Golden Gate Park.

If you let me know what kind of food and or bars you like I will gladly make recommendations. San Francisco is a city of food and booze and it is done well.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    If you are staying in Union Square you will be able to use public transportation everywhere, except of course when you travel north or south. You have a great list. Baseball will be great. Alcatraz is awesome. The wharf- all you need is an hour and you can do it when you go to A-traz. I also recommend Muir Woods and Golden Gate Park.

If you let me know what kind of food and or bars you like I will gladly make recommendations. San Francisco is a city of food and booze and it is done well.

can i borrow your car tuesday. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    If you like candy and there is any way you can get a car, take a drive out to the Jelly Belly Jelly Bean factory. It is like 40 minutes to an hour drive, but it is fun and totally worth it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    If you're into museums you'll want to check out MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) south of Market St., the new DeYoung and my favorite, The Palace of Legion of Honor (http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/).

Lots to see in Golden Gate Park- The Japanese Tea Garden, buffalo as mentioned, Rose Garden, The Conservatory of Flowers, Garden of Shakespeare's Flowers, San Francisco Botanical Garden at Strybing Arboretum and the California Academy of Sciences. Whew- I know, a lot, but what a great park!

Golden Gate Bridge- start at Fort Point for great views at the southern base of the bridge then up to last exit before getting on the bridge for more great views.

If can get there and it's not foggy, go to the top of Twin Peaks for incredible views of the City and off to the east toward Berkeley and Oakland- especially awesome at night as you'll be looking down Market Street with its fabulous lights.

Have a great time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    brianlux wrote:
    If you're into museums you'll want to check out MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) south of Market St., the new DeYoung and my favorite, The Palace of Legion of Honor (http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/).

Also if you like cartoons and comics the museum of Cartoon Art is small but pretty cool.

http://cartoonart.org/
    I have also heard good things about the Musée Mécanique which is a museum of old time coin operated games and other machines. It's free and all of the machines work so that you can play them.

http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Attaway77 wrote:
    House of NanKing
    This.
  • Options
    thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
    RKCNDY wrote:

I made sure to already book Alcatraz tickets ahead. Seeing the night tour on Sunday.

I took the night tour last year. Very cool. Not much different than the day tour, but the view of SF is worth it.

I'll also second a trip to Muir Woods, if you like nature its a great place. I was a bit disappointed with Napa Valley, but I think I was expecting something different. Maybe it gets nicer if you go a little off the main road. Monterey is pretty cool, but I can't say I did much there to have a good opinion of it.

Have fun, eat Sourdough.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Things that were enjoyable touristy:
    Alcatraz
    Muir Woods
    Ghiradelli Chocolate
    Aquarium on the Bay
    Fisherman's Wharf
    Drive or Walk Down Lombard Street

Less Thrilling:
    Japanese Tea Graden
    Sausalito
    Golden Gate Park
    Bay Boat Tour
    Cable Car Rides
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    If you like candy and there is any way you can get a car, take a drive out to the Jelly Belly Jelly Bean factory. It is like 40 minutes to an hour drive, but it is fun and totally worth it.

+1
    We were there a few years back and had a great time. On the same subject, go here:
    http://www.ghirardellisq.com/food-wine/ ... olate-shop

Some of the best Ice cream and chocolate I have ever had!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Sure. Just fill it up before you return it. Gas is pricey these days.

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Enormous understatement for SF.

I laugh at all the "National Average" prices of gas posted, SF is usually a buck higher.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

I laugh at all the "National Average" prices of gas posted, SF is usually a buck higher.

Almost $80 this morning. I drive a fucking sedan.

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

the local stations here are at 4.49, in the city it gets worse.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

what you don't say, is you will have it on fumes when i pick it up. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg