Options

Cincy...Revisited

Comments

• Options
    I saw the same things you did and after seeing how locked down the city seemed to be, I think the show was shut down by the higher ups. Security guards were mumbling about it after the encore. Cincinnati is a very conservative city. Conservative to a fault. They probably saw us as a bunch of drunk tree hugging hippie liberals and they didn't want any "trouble" or for us to start having homosexual sex in the streets. They just wanted us the hell out of there. I mean, even the interstates are designed in a way so that people can make a quick eixt from the city (Thank God). LOL. You know how us "liberals" are. This show was shut down for one reason or another before it was complete.
    I'm thinking that is a VERY good possiblity! Of the 14 shows I've seen, I've never been more spent! 3 days later, I can STILL BARELY talk, and still recovering. The crowd was the loudest and most energetic of ANY show (Pearl Jam or anyone else) I've seen!!!

Here's the thing.. Either the curfew left the majority confused, or the techs did it! If you remember, it seemed half the techs were preparing for another song (indefference), and the other half began tearing down. Maybe there was a HUGE lack of communication, or maybe the curfew.

I know sitting in sec. 1 row T, we were rather perplexed too when the House Music started playing.

Very odd ending needless to say!!
    Who made up, made up the myth
    that we were born to be covered in bliss?
    who set the standard, born to be rich?
    such fine examples, skinny little bitch
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
    get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
    i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I had a good view of the crowd from a seat on the side about 10 rows up, and I kept wondering why people WEREN'T more excited in general. Sure, there were places were people were really into it, but in general I was disappointed in the reaction. I think the folks in the first 15 rows or so on the floor are just used to it.

I don't know how anyone can complain about the intensity of the crowd- especially the 10C crowd. I was low on the side and I could see a clear line on the floor of where the 10C ended and the 'hey- let's get tickets to Pearl Jam just for the hell of it' crowd started. I honestly think I've never heard a crowd so loud. Except maybe Philly '05. Made for a fun time! Thanks Cinci!
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    SmitreSmitre Posts: 68
    I am looking into the possibility of them having to stop playing due to a time set by the venue. I will let you all know if I hear anything!

I talked to a long time security worker there before the show. He said there is no hard curfew but the penalty is 5K for every minute past 11pm.
    www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Smitre wrote:
    I talked to a long time security worker there before the show. He said there is no hard curfew but the penalty is 5K for every minute past 11pm.

Holy shit... didn't the show end between 11:30 and 11:45?
    Basically, they lost all the money they made if this is true :eek:
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Smitre wrote:

So...an encore with Indifference and YLB would have cost around $10,000? Yikes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    All I know was that it was 11:28 when I walked out of US Bank...

For the most part, the crowd in section 139 (reserved for us losers who are not yet Ten Club members) was on their feet the whole time. The only people who weren't were the drunk kid passed out behind us and the woman in front of us who didn't move...other than that, section 139--YOU ROCK!
    ~A compliment for us, is a compliment for you.~

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    first, thanks for explaining me the basics of pearl jam concertology 101:) 2nd, sorry you were let down so horribly.
    3rd, glad you weren't next to me in sec. 1 when they played all those "predictable" songs and we were STILL rocking our asses off! couldve been interesting. hehehehe.

If i were you, I'd quit going to shows so you won't be let down. just pick the boots like throwing darts. that way, you stand a VERY good chance of not bein let down, depending on the city:) (in my best smart ass voice)

before you go flamin me, i can say all this because I've been in your shoes. LOL.

you sound exactly like me after the Indy show on my birthday last tour. LOLOL. I mean EXACTLY, so that's why im messin with ya. HEHEHE

I ain't going to flame you. It's really odd though what you said about the last Noblesville show. I thought it was one of the best setlists I've been a part of. I guess we just have very different tastes.

Btw, I was 11th row in Section 1 and was rocking out during the whole first set. Then took a break during the 2nd encore when they played the worst 1st encore I've heard. Those songs are great (minus Wishlist), but putting them back to back is too much. Then I was back rocking during the 2nd encore. So it wasn't like I didn't enjoy myself.
  • Options
    I was at that particular Noblesville show and it was on the lower end of the spectrum for me (personally). The crowd didn't seem into it at all and it kind of fizzled out. I remember Ed even smarting off in Ledbetter because people were all leaving while they were playing. I believe he called the people leaving pussies that had to go to work in the morning or something along those lines.
    I ain't going to flame you. It's really odd though what you said about the last Noblesville show. I thought it was one of the best setlists I've been a part of. I guess we just have very different tastes.

Btw, I was 11th row in Section 1 and was rocking out during the whole first set. Then took a break during the 2nd encore when they played the worst 1st encore I've heard. Those songs are great (minus Wishlist), but putting them back to back is too much. Then I was back rocking during the 2nd encore. So it wasn't like I didn't enjoy myself.
  • Options
    For the most part, the crowd in section 139 (reserved for us losers who are not yet Ten Club members)

If you wrote that because of what I said about the 'non 10C section'- sorry. I'm just tired of people criticizing the senior 10c (front section) for supposedly not showing enough enthusiasm.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    If you wrote that because of what I said about the 'non 10C section'- sorry. I'm just tired of people criticizing the senior 10c (front section) for supposedly not showing enough enthusiasm.

No...it had nothing to do with you at all...I simply kick myself each time a tour comes around that i hadn't joined Ten Club yet.

Nothing but love from Shan :-)

• Options

I'm not a "senior" member but have been a member for over six years now and I did find it a little odd that a large portion of the senior members up front sat down promptly after the first set was complete and didn't stand back up until the band came back onstage. It just seems odd. I honestly didn't sit down the entire concert and would have loved to been closer to the stage begging for an encore. Back in the day, bands gave encores to the loudest crowds. You had to work for your encores basically, we didn't expect them. Not aiming to ruffle feathers but maybe I'm just old school.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I'm not a "senior" member but have been a member for over six years now and I did find it a little odd that a large portion of the senior members up front sat down promptly after the first set was complete and didn't stand back up until the band came back onstage. It just seems odd. I honestly didn't sit down the entire concert and would have loved to been closer to the stage begging for an encore. Back in the day, bands gave encores to the loudest crowds. You had to work for your encores basically, we didn't expect them. Not aiming to ruffle feathers but maybe I'm just old school.

What's wrong with sitting down when the band is off stage? You can still clap and cheer every once in a while.
  • Options

I get what you're saying. Another example was the Pittsburgh show- the whole crowd was extremely lazy while waiting for the encore- cheers just here and there. Cinci was much louder and actually worked a bit for their encore. I was down front for the Pit show and saw some people sitting, but I've also sat in nosebleed and they sit there, too. You just have to yell louder to make up for them!!

By the way, I wonder what the heck would happen if one day PJ decided the crowd didn't deserve an encore? Riots?

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    No. That's too much work. Probably just a bunch of angry posts would be on this board the next day. LOL.
    I get what you're saying. Another example was the Pittsburgh show- the whole crowd was extremely lazy while waiting for the encore- cheers just here and there. Cinci was much louder and actually worked a bit for their encore. I was down front for the Pit show and saw some people sitting, but I've also sat in nosebleed and they sit there, too. You just have to yell louder to make up for them!!

By the way, I wonder what the heck would happen if one day PJ decided the crowd didn't deserve an encore? Riots?
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    BeerBaron wrote:
    That's an unfair generalization that I am sick of hearing. I was in the first 15 rows and I was one of the loudest people in the place ...

Me too. I got so excited i took my dyck out and started smacking bytchez wit it.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    Smitre wrote:

Son of a bitch!!! 5K for EVERY MINUTE???????? Well folks, I think we all got the friggin answer!!!! No fuckin wonder it ended like it did. It ended dam near 11:30 so that's what, anywhere between 100-150k in FINES??

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    So...an encore with Indifference and YLB would have cost around $10,000? Yikes.

Acutally if both songs took a total of TEN minutes, that would be an additional FIFTY THOUSAND!! 5k per minute.

THAT IS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave it to the authorities in NATI. Dam, I'm glad I don't live in that city.
  • Options
    Leave it to the authorities in NATI. Dam, I'm glad I don't live in that city.

I thank God for that myself everyday :-)

Hell, in NYC (7/8/03), Ed made the comment about it costing $14,000 to continue playing...that's chump change compared to the $50K....yikes.

• Options
    I thank God for that myself everyday :-)

Hell, in NYC (7/8/03), Ed made the comment about it costing $14,000 to continue playing...that's chump change compared to the $50K....yikes.

Yeah, no kiddin!!! I think we all can stop wondering why things ended so abruptly!!! If memory is right, it ended somewhere very close to 11:30. If they came back out to play AT LEAST INDIFFERENCE, it's a SHITLOAD of money in FINES. Throw in YL, which I think we may have gotten just because of the crowd, and the total fines are OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the NEVER play U.S. bank again, or at least be the only band there. Start that bitch at 8 p.m next time to make the gestapo authorities up there happy.

INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    greenampgreenamp Posts: 17
    Awesome concert. Lamest venue ever.
  • Options
    greenamp wrote:

Agreed. agreed, agreed!

I understand why they played there, though--couldn't take a chance of being flooded out again!

• Options
    kasekase Posts: 22
    i thought cincy was a great show ..... much more energy than d.c. ..... yes alot of wine consumed .... but my friend and i ( both over 40 ) were talking and we agreed that getting up the next day and doing that all over agian would be hard ..... give the guys some credit i thought they left it all on the stage ... oh yes we did not buy a avacado tour poster can anyone help me get one (all exspenses paid of course ) thanks go P.J......
  • Options
    kasekase Posts: 22
    greenamp wrote:
    lame but cozey
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    But IF it was the venue's fault, don't you think the band would've at least come back out for a bow and a final goodbye? The fact that there was NOTHING makes me think that it was the band's decision...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    JenInTheBxJenInTheBx Posts: 293

I was down in front for the Pittsburgh show, and yes, I sat during the encore breaks. I don't know what happened to our row in Pitt, but I literally could not move and had to stand on a slant during the entire show because our row was so cramped. There was about 6 inches of room between our row and the row in front of us. I don't know if the other rows were as bad as ours, but I was just plain uncomfortable by the encore break and needed the sitting break!
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    snekejam wrote:
    After simmering for a few days and not allowing my initial emotions to get the best of me, I must say that of the 14 shows I've been to this one left me the most jaded.

It's one of the those things in life where you think, "man, what could have been."

It's so odd, too, because Ed and the band are always saying, well, preaching, how they really thrive off the crowd and the fan's emotions lift them. After being there Saturday in Cincy, I must say they left me quite perplexed. When you think about everything involved, the flood in '03, the venue where 'The Who' tragedy unfolded, you would have thought the guys would have been salivating at the opportunity to reward the city.

There was a complete 'no-go.'

The crowd was absolutely insane. Everyone around me was going crazy. I was at Grand Rapids this year, Detroit, and Philly 1, and no crowd came close intensity-wise.

Maybe, hopefully for the band's sake, they just had an off night. The setlist was pretty cool, but the band just dropped the ball. The crowd was giving them a reason, begging them for more, anything, and with a day off on Sunday you would have thought they would have gotten it.

Didn't happen. And that sucks.

Well they did play for close to 2 1/2 hours, not bad, especially when you consider that many other bands only play for 2 hours and charge way more $$$$, so all in all thats impressive.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    The security guard that spoke to me that night told me it was $1000 after every minute past 11. That's seems more reasonable (lol).
  • Options
    UnkeptUnkept Posts: 65
    I was there...The show was 140 minutes long...They played awesome...But I hear ya, I thought it might be a bit more unique..

I wonder if their physical health ever affects them...

Ya know...I'm 35, in pretty good shape, and I hurt my knee yesterday walking down the hall...

These guys are in their 40's, I wonder if say, Matt just said 'I got nothing left' They seem to be rocking preety hard most nights, lots of high energy songs in the setlists...

I just wonder...

Still...

2.4 hour shows shouldn't be taken for granted...and I liked the Character of the show...No Jeremy...No Yellow Ledbetter...some No Code, some Vitology...a bit of Riot...

Just a different sort of show...I dug it
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm not a "senior" member but have been a member for over six years now and I did find it a little odd that a large portion of the senior members up front sat down promptly after the first set was complete and didn't stand back up until the band came back onstage. It just seems odd. I honestly didn't sit down the entire concert and would have loved to been closer to the stage begging for an encore. Back in the day, bands gave encores to the loudest crowds. You had to work for your encores basically, we didn't expect them.

Yes I well remember those days too. Because of that (the working for your encores!) I find it hard to sit down or stop clapping before PJ has taken their absolute final bow. However I've come to the realization that the breaks between the main set and the 'encores' are more like intermissions and probably a break for them, rather than the uncertainty of whether they'll come back on.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    JaneNY wrote:
    Yes I well remember those days too. Because of that (the working for your encores!) I find it hard to sit down or stop clapping before PJ has taken their absolute final bow. However I've come to the realization that the breaks between the main set and the 'encores' are more like intermissions and probably a break for them, rather than the uncertainty of whether they'll come back on.

i just bought the live boot. sounds EXCELLENT.... :)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~