Options

Cincy...Revisited

snekejamsnekejam Posts: 14
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
After simmering for a few days and not allowing my initial emotions to get the best of me, I must say that of the 14 shows I've been to this one left me the most jaded.

It's one of the those things in life where you think, "man, what could have been."

It's so odd, too, because Ed and the band are always saying, well, preaching, how they really thrive off the crowd and the fan's emotions lift them. After being there Saturday in Cincy, I must say they left me quite perplexed. When you think about everything involved, the flood in '03, the venue where 'The Who' tragedy unfolded, you would have thought the guys would have been salivating at the opportunity to reward the city.

There was a complete 'no-go.'

The crowd was absolutely insane. Everyone around me was going crazy. I was at Grand Rapids this year, Detroit, and Philly 1, and no crowd came close intensity-wise.

Maybe, hopefully for the band's sake, they just had an off night. The setlist was pretty cool, but the band just dropped the ball. The crowd was giving them a reason, begging them for more, anything, and with a day off on Sunday you would have thought they would have gotten it.

Didn't happen. And that sucks.
there once was a funny quote from a funny poem about a douchebag where this sentence is now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cooldaddycooldaddy Posts: 52
    snekejam wrote:
    After simmering for a few days and not allowing my initial emotions to get the best of me, I must say that of the 14 shows I've been to this one left me the most jaded.

It's one of the those things in life where you think, "man, what could have been."

It's so odd, too, because Ed and the band are always saying, well, preaching, how they really thrive off the crowd and the fan's emotions lift them. After being there Saturday in Cincy, I must say they left me quite perplexed. When you think about everything involved, the flood in '03, the venue where 'The Who' tragedy unfolded, you would have thought the guys would have been salivating at the opportunity to reward the city.

The crowd was absolutely insane. Everyone around me was going crazy. I was at Grand Rapids this year, Detroit, and Philly 1, and no crowd came close intensity-wise.

Maybe, hopefully for the band's sake, they just had an off night. The setlist was pretty cool, but the band just dropped the ball. The crowd was giving them a reason, begging them for more, anything, and with a day off on Sunday you would have thought they would have gotten it.

It's because PJ blew their loads one too many times in Pitt the night before.
    Sidewalk, Cigarettes, and Scenes

Pittsburgh 08-25-1998
    Pittsburgh 06-23-2006
  • Options
    I am looking into the possibility of them having to stop playing due to a time set by the venue. I will let you all know if I hear anything!
    ~A compliment for us, is a compliment for you.~

• Options
    Please do, becaue I am just looking for a reason to make sense of it.

My girlfriend and I left the show stunned.
    there once was a funny quote from a funny poem about a douchebag where this sentence is now.
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    get over it.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    I am looking into the possibility of them having to stop playing due to a time set by the venue. I will let you all know if I hear anything!

I'm thinking that is a VERY good possiblity! Of the 14 shows I've seen, I've never been more spent! 3 days later, I can STILL BARELY talk, and still recovering. The crowd was the loudest and most energetic of ANY show (Pearl Jam or anyone else) I've seen!!!

Here's the thing.. Either the curfew left the majority confused, or the techs did it! If you remember, it seemed half the techs were preparing for another song (indefference), and the other half began tearing down. Maybe there was a HUGE lack of communication, or maybe the curfew.

I know sitting in sec. 1 row T, we were rather perplexed too when the House Music started playing.

Very odd ending needless to say!!
  • Options
    grandr0yalgrandr0yal Posts: 67
    they rocked pretty hard in pittsburgh and eddy went through a lot of wine that night. Finished 1 bottle before the main set was over.
    06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
    See yins in pittsburgh 2007
    Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
  • Options
    get over it.

nice contribution to the thread.

next time you get in your car, drive fast and take chances.
  • Options
    snekejam wrote:

i dont understand what was wrong...my 10th show and EASILY one of the best. i thought the set was great, the energy of the band was wonderful. what was there to complain about? robert pollard played WAY WAY too long which may or may not have contributed to the somewhat shorter set.

people who complain about a great show like this are reasons why i consider not coming back to the board. i am generally the biggest complainer about the setlists and i was LOVING this one. there wasn't really any point they started a song and i was frustrated (except the inside job-crazy mary-rvm combo, but we can all agree the 1st encore was awful). there was no small town, no daughter, very little ten....therefore very little that i didn't want to hear. it was just a GREAT time.
    Founding member of the "Stop the Evacuation and Riot Act Hating!" Club -- Join Now

PJ Top 16 (release order)- Rats, Not For You, Nothingman, Satan's Bed, Immortality, Lukin, U, Breakerfall, Evacuation, Light Years, In The Moonlight, Save You, You Are, Man Of The Hour, Life Wasted, Unemployable
  • Options
    i dont understand what was wrong...my 10th show and EASILY one of the best. i thought the set was great, the energy of the band was wonderful. what was there to complain about? robert pollard played WAY WAY too long which may or may not have contributed to the somewhat shorter set.

people who complain about a great show like this are reasons why i consider not coming back to the board. i am generally the biggest complainer about the setlists and i was LOVING this one. there wasn't really any point they started a song and i was frustrated (except the inside job-crazy mary-rvm combo, but we can all agree the 1st encore was awful). there was no small town, no daughter, very little ten....therefore very little that i didn't want to hear. it was just a GREAT time.

you're missing the point.

the energy of the band did not match the energy of the crowd. that's why i brought it up. that's what made it unusual.
  • Options
    snekejam wrote:
    nice contribution to the thread.

next time you get in your car, drive fast and take chances.

sorry its the best i could come up with.

and always wear your seat belt.
  • Options
    I am in no way upset with the show we got in Cincy...I was stunned at how I was still thinking about it days later (and anxiously waiting for the boot), and I thought it was a FABULOUS show...I am just wondering if something caused the sudden end.
    ~A compliment for us, is a compliment for you.~

• Options
    i think people here on this message pit hyped this show so much that there is no way the band could have delivered to meet the expectations. i knew going into this show that people would ultimately come back here and not be happy.
  • Options
    snekejam wrote:
    you're missing the point.

the energy of the band did not match the energy of the crowd. that's why i brought it up. that's what made it unusual.

i just disagree though...i thought the energy of the band was through the roof. hence the punk rock setlist. i was stunned by the set and how they ripped through it.
    Founding member of the "Stop the Evacuation and Riot Act Hating!" Club -- Join Now

PJ Top 16 (release order)- Rats, Not For You, Nothingman, Satan's Bed, Immortality, Lukin, U, Breakerfall, Evacuation, Light Years, In The Moonlight, Save You, You Are, Man Of The Hour, Life Wasted, Unemployable
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Yeah, energy was fine.
    I would have appreciated a more creative setlist and a longer show.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    snekejam wrote:

you know it's always hard when things aren't always perfect. it is possible to not expect 100% perfection, all the time.

you shudda gone to pittsburg...
  • Options
    i think people here on this message pit hyped this show so much that there is no way the band could have delivered to meet the expectations. i knew going into this show that people would ultimately come back here and not be happy.

as i said before, what's odd is that the crowd was insane.

no crowd, at least at the shows i've been to, have been anywhere even close to as insane as the cincy crowd.

the place was the most packed of any venue i've been to and they were loud. really loud.

it was, sorry, completely phoned in. not just by ed, but by all of them.
  • Options

You knew ppl would come back unhappy after cincy??? Who are ya, the amazing kresken?? Whatever... I don't see alot saying they are unhappy about the show, just that it "ENDED" strangely!
    If you read the other threads, which, Im sure you have, the vast majority say it BLEW THE DOORS OFF the joint.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    snekejam wrote:
    no crowd, at least at the shows i've been to, have been anywhere even close to as insane as the cincy crowd.

Thank you!!!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    snekejam wrote:

Amen!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    You knew ppl would come back unhappy after cincy??? Who are ya, the amazing kresken?? Whatever... I don't see anyone saying they are unhappy about the show, just that it "ENDED" strangely!
    If you read the other threads, which, Im sure you have, the vast majority say it BLEW THE DOORS OFF the joint.

You my friend are missing the original point....

good try!

you dont see anyone unhappy?

all i have read about the show is that people have been disappointed. all i can believe is what i read, i wasn't there. a few posts up from this one, someone said the show was totally "phoned in". people have said the band lacked "energy" and whatnot. but the crowd was spectacular; that i have read over and over...
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Thank you!!!

yo, fanch, it's your ocr buddy. good to see you at the show.
  • Options

all i have read about the show is that people have been disappointed. all i can believe is what i read, i wasn't there. a few posts up from this one, someone said the show was totally "phoned in". people have said the band lacked "energy" and whatnot. but the crowd was spectacular; that i have read over and over...

Debbie Downer, aren't you supposed to be in rehersal? ohh, wait, you are!!!:)
  • Options
    whatever...

i cant sit here and argue about it. i wasn't there to form my own opinions. i can only go with what people are saying here. and from what i have gathered, alot of people were "disappointed".

bottom line; some shows are better than others.
  • Options
    Debbie Downer, aren't you supposed to be in rehersal? ohh, wait, you are!!!:)

you're strange...

but its cool

and to come here and post about what you didnt like about the show instead of what you did like about it seems a little more along the lines of "debbie downer" to me
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

It all comes down to setlist. The show had two of the big three, a great crowd and high energy band. Didn't have the setlist. Gotta have all three to be great. Most shows have a decent amount of all three, Cinci got a 2 out of 10 as far as setlists go. Part of the excitement of a Pearl Jam show is the "what are they going to play next" feeling, because they are a band where anything is possible. I went into this showing with the attitude of rocking out to whatever they played. But in the middle of the first encore I saw the direction the rest of the show was going and it was a lot more difficult to get psyched up.
  • Options
    It all comes down to setlist. The show had two of the big three, a great crowd and high energy band. Didn't have the setlist. Gotta have all three to be great. Most shows have a decent amount of all three, Cinci got a 2 out of 10 as far as setlists go.

Well, I didn't mind! Best show ever for me, so I'm not complaining. Sure there are songs I wish were played, but did NOT take away from the experience.
  • Options
    cooldaddycooldaddy Posts: 52
    Well, I didn't mind! Best show ever for me, so I'm not complaining. Sure there are songs I wish were played, but did NOT take away from the experience.

Well, I do mind...because I didn't make the short drive up...we all make mistakes though.
    Sidewalk, Cigarettes, and Scenes

Pittsburgh 08-25-1998
    Pittsburgh 06-23-2006
  • Options
    It all comes down to setlist. The show had two of the big three, a great crowd and high energy band. Didn't have the setlist. Gotta have all three to be great. Most shows have a decent amount of all three, Cinci got a 2 out of 10 as far as setlists go. Part of the excitement of a Pearl Jam show is the "what are they going to play next" feeling, because they are a band where anything is possible. I went into this showing with the attitude of rocking out to whatever they played. But in the middle of the first encore I saw the direction the rest of the show was going and it was a lot more difficult to get psyched up.

first, thanks for explaining me the basics of pearl jam concertology 101:) 2nd, sorry you were let down so horribly.
    3rd, glad you weren't next to me in sec. 1 when they played all those "predictable" songs and we were STILL rocking our asses off! couldve been interesting. hehehehe.

If i were you, I'd quit going to shows so you won't be let down. just pick the boots like throwing darts. that way, you stand a VERY good chance of not bein let down, depending on the city:) (in my best smart ass voice)

before you go flamin me, i can say all this because I've been in your shoes. LOL.

you sound exactly like me after the Indy show on my birthday last tour. LOLOL. I mean EXACTLY, so that's why im messin with ya. HEHEHE
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I'm sorry, but I had a good view of the crowd from a seat on the side about 10 rows up, and I kept wondering why people WEREN'T more excited in general. Sure, there were places were people were really into it, but in general I was disappointed in the reaction. I think the folks in the first 15 rows or so on the floor are just used to it.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I had a good view of the crowd from a seat on the side about 10 rows up, and I kept wondering why people WEREN'T more excited in general. Sure, there were places were people were really into it, but in general I was disappointed in the reaction. I think the folks in the first 15 rows or so on the floor are just used to it.

well I was in row 21, so I don't count in the 1st 15. heheh. I do hear ya! 2 dudes in front of us, Never sang a word, nor did ANYTHING. Just stood all night like they were in a museum. STRANGE!