Options

GRAND RAPIDS - Ticket Problem Thread

Comments

• Options
    bones0138bones0138 Posts: 52
    Milestone wrote:
    I'll be a true elitist, and help you out with some English.

"you're" = you are.

Don't be afraid to use an apostrophe.
    by the way bitch, no use for a comma there.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    not that i have a great number or anything, and i think its kind of cool for the show to be mixed matched a little bit...i mean, everyone should have a shot at first row, everyone:)

but....

you have to admit, they have put in their time.... i mean they've paid their 15 bucks on time every year to ensure themselves good seats, and thats kinda why most people join 10c, its the whole appeal of it ... so, i think (if this isnt just a ticket fluke) they will have a right to bitch and moan all they want.

allow me to analogize...

its like an early bird special at a department store, and making all the people who were at the door first, move out of the way and let the people who didnt arrive early, go ahead of them. So, the 'early birds' got out of bed early, patiently waited for the doors to open, and all they wanted was to get inside, and get some good deals for their effort, as the advertisement said.

and yes, i understand the opposing view as well. "the early bird always gets here before us, so we will never win!"

god, the time and mind power i put into posts here could of landed me the nobel prize already had i put the effort into a better cause :D
  • Options
    dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    I just posted this in another thread:

OK two main things:
    1. The guys that got front row with numbers 130xxx were super psyched and never got that close before so that was really cool and I think they should mix up the seating to allow for this from time to time.

2. That said with #105xxx I was thinking this might be my chance to get row 1 since that's only happened for me one other time. I would NOT have taken a day off work and driven to GR from Chicago with my wife if I had known I would be way up in row R on the side of the stage right in front of an overcrowded luxury suite of screaming idiots (ruining hard to imagine). I could have planned to sell the tickets, upgrade or whatever. Many TM buyers had better seats than 10C. I also only went to Chicago and here. I'm not one of the people that go to 20+ shows a tour [I'm not an ELITIST]. I'd like a chance at a great seat too. Just let us know the deal and we'll adapt. But shortchanging people like a girl that drove all the way from Iowa, two women next to us that came from Inidiana for their only show of the tour. Those folks got royally screwed.

I also don't think this was a mistake. Eddie said a few negative things about chicago and "Grand rapids who would of knew". I got an envelope with ten club and my name and # printed on it. Unlike in chicago. Seemed very deliberate.

Also the crowd was way more into it tonight. But I think our section of #s 45xxx-108xxx was up and moving considering where we were and if things had gone according to plan the floor with us in it would have been just as amped. Great set, show etc. etc.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    dthomas wrote:
    I just posted this in another thread:

OK two main things:
    1. The guys that got front row with numbers 130xxx were super psyched and never got that close before so that was really cool and I think they should mix up the seating to allow for this from time to time.

2. That said with #105xxx I was thinking this might be my chance to get row 1 since that's only happened for me one other time. I would NOT have taken a day off work and driven to GR from Chicago with my wife if I had known I would be way up in row R on the side of the stage right in front of an overcrowded luxury suite of screaming idiots (ruining hard to imagine). I could have planned to sell the tickets, upgrade or whatever. Many TM buyers had better seats than 10C. I also only went to Chicago and here. I'm not one of the people that go to 20+ shows a tour [I'm not an ELITIST]. I'd like a chance at a great seat too. Just let us know the deal and we'll adapt. But shortchanging people like a girl that drove all the way from Iowa, two women next to us that came from Inidiana for their only show of the tour. Those folks got royally screwed.

I also don't think this was a mistake. Eddie said a few negative things about chicago and "Grand rapids who would of knew". I got an envelope with ten club and my name and # printed on it. Unlike in chicago. Seemed very deliberate.

Also the crowd was way more into it tonight. But I think our section of #s 45xxx-108xxx was up and moving considering where we were and if things had gone according to plan the floor with us in it would have been just as amped. Great set, show etc. etc.

First I'd like to say that I'm glad you had a great time. As a longtime jamband fan as well as PJ fan, I know thes setlist doesn't make the show, but PJ is pretty damn consistent, and all 3 of these last shows look awesome at least on paper. The band is en fuego.

That said, its comments like yours that are exactly why people with higher numbers enjoy watching people with lower numbers not be in the front row. Your seats were still better than what, 80-85% of the people in the place? And you're saying that people around you and you were "royally screwed"? While I understand the fact that it is generally a seniority based system, and that's fine, stop acting like the simple act of sending a check for a measly $15 in annually so you'll get your Christmas single is somehow the equivalent of having "worked' or "paying your dues" in some way that should entitle you to be treated royally. It's a fan club. You joined. That means that every show you go to, you will be sitting in the best 15% of seats in the house. No other band does this. In fact I think it would be better if there were no seniority at all. NO OTHER BAND has a fanclub that hooks its members up like this, NONE, and the ones that do give out fanclub seats do NOT base anything off of seniority. I saw the Grateful Dead 35 times, and I mail ordered for most of those shows through the band. ONE TIME I wound up in the third row, and another in some great side seats, and the rest of the time I was upstairs, maybe even behind the stage. And I was happier than a pig in shit because just getting in the door was an accomplishment and all you needed to have fun.

The 10C should NOT be looked at as some pipeline to the front row for the bunch of people who sent their checks in every year. The way it should be looked at is "yeah, Im in the 10C so I got tickets, and - BONUS - they will definitely be great seats, and if Im really lucky I'll have the kind of experience that MOST consider once-in-a-lifetime and get up front." Having been up front for shows, I also find it ridiculous that people are so selfish they think they deserve to own that experience because of their seniority. EVERYONE should be so lucky as to sit up front once.

This whole thing is so reflective of our society as a whole - I won't get into it, but its so "America in 2006" its not even funny. No doubt, the band members love what happened last night. That is so "Pearl Jam"its not even funny.
  • Options
    pghas wrote:
    First I'd like to say that I'm glad you had a great time. As a longtime jamband fan as well as PJ fan, I know thes setlist doesn't make the show, but PJ is pretty damn consistent, and all 3 of these last shows look awesome at least on paper. The band is en fuego.

That said, its comments like yours that are exactly why people with higher numbers enjoy watching people with lower numbers not be in the front row. Your seats were still better than what, 80-85% of the people in the place? And you're saying that people around you and you were "royally screwed"? While I understand the fact that it is generally a seniority based system, and that's fine, stop acting like the simple act of sending a check for a measly $15 in annually so you'll get your Christmas single is somehow the equivalent of having "worked' or "paying your dues" in some way that should entitle you to be treated royally. It's a fan club. You joined. That means that every show you go to, you will be sitting in the best 15% of seats in the house. No other band does this. In fact I think it would be better if there were no seniority at all. NO OTHER BAND has a fanclub that hooks its members up like this, NONE, and the ones that do give out fanclub seats do NOT base anything off of seniority. I saw the Grateful Dead 35 times, and I mail ordered for most of those shows through the band. ONE TIME I wound up in the third row, and another in some great side seats, and the rest of the time I was upstairs, maybe even behind the stage. And I was happier than a pig in shit because just getting in the door was an accomplishment and all you needed to have fun.

The 10C should NOT be looked at as some pipeline to the front row for the bunch of people who sent their checks in every year. The way it should be looked at is "yeah, Im in the 10C so I got tickets, and - BONUS - they will definitely be great seats, and if Im really lucky I'll have the kind of experience that MOST consider once-in-a-lifetime and get up front." Having been up front for shows, I also find it ridiculous that people are so selfish they think they deserve to own that experience because of their seniority. EVERYONE should be so lucky as to sit up front once.

This whole thing is so reflective of our society as a whole - I won't get into it, but its so "America in 2006" its not even funny. No doubt, the band members love what happened last night. That is so "Pearl Jam"its not even funny.

Here, here, Pghas! Here, here! Pearl Jam is a privilege. And being in a fan club for an extended period of time is a beautiful thing, sure. But in the end, we should accept that Pearl Jam is an authoritarian system, and it should, I repeat, should be that way. The artists should have total control of their work. And the artists should have total control of the most faithful, submissive fan. And I am happily submissive in this situation, because they are musical gods. As part of this lordship, they should be able to assemble their courtyard however they please. And the people shall be happy. And they should be, and I mean it. Dictatorships are good things in some cases, and in this case, it's a beautiful thing. I'm not full of bs here, I speak the truth. We're an artist's canvas, the audience, and the band, as part of their art, should be able to work the crowd as they want, move them around as they want. And what's beautiful about this situation, is that they can do it in a certain way, because the core audience is defined by numbers. The lower and higher number individuals have certain characteristics. They found that they'd like to mix it up, see what it's like with the higher numbers up front. It's an art. It's a canvas. There was legalese when you signed up, because entertainment lawyers exist, and 10c will deny anything happened, because they don't want to get sued. But that's ok, PJ are musical gods (with the small letter g). Clapton was a musical god. The Beatles too. Now PJ is, and we, the audience are part of the art. It's a privilege to be part of the audience, so consider yourself lucky to be there at all. Life's too short.

(Edit: LOL on this by the way, in case you can't tell. I mean this stuff but don't at the same time. I don't think anyone's suing the 10C, at least no one on this board. They should be suing us. LOL)
    Mansfield 8/7/92, 7/2/03; Boston 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06
  • Options
    PearlJamBobPearlJamBob Posts: 77
    bones0138 wrote:
    by the way bitch, no use for a comma there.

you're right, there was no use for a comma, but there was use for an apostrophe

you're = you are
    PearlJamBob
    9/29/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/8/98, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 11/14/02, 4/28/03, 4/30/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    PearlJamBobPearlJamBob Posts: 77
    remember that guy a few weeks ago who was complaining about his friend being able to retain his lower number even though he didn't renew on time?

I wonder if he was at the Grand Rapids show. That would be F'ng priceless if he got better seats than his friend.
    PearlJamBob
    9/29/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/8/98, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 11/14/02, 4/28/03, 4/30/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    "Tickets are allocated by seniority within the fan club. The longer you have been in the club, the closer your seats are to the stage. Proximity to the stage is also contingent upon how many members are in attendance at a show."

so, those who are cool with this change... you're saying it's OK for the band to alter their Terms and Conditions at will - following a non-refundable sale, and when the purchaser does not obtain the tickets until just hours before the show? This would be (unless a mishap) 100% illegal.

Wow... I hope when you people have a wedding or something, you rent a nice banquet room that is far away from home, and when you arrive, they put you in the basement, and they tell you "some people would be very thankful for this basement".

I have NO problem if they want to put members 25xxx in the rafters, and 300xxx on Eddies lap - no problem at all... but not for the tickets already sold. The tickets already sold fall within THEIR OWN terms and conditions.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    Maybe they did it jus tthis once on purpose to make the low #'s appreciate what they have been handed to them for all these years.... and much to eddies pleasure, i am sure, it worked.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    maakmaak Posts: 58
    I was at both chicago shows and I noticed that a lot of the people in the 1st 4 rows were friends of the band because they had the vinyl stickers that the band gives out to relatives and whatnot. so if pearl jam was mad at the response in chicago some of it may have had to do with giving out those passes. this is just my thoughts on the subject but i will probably get thrown on the fire for pointing this out.
    my cat's breath smells like cat food- RALPH WIGUM
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    maak wrote:
    I was at both chicago shows and I noticed that a lot of the people in the 1st 4 rows were friends of the band because they had the vinyl stickers that the band gives out to relatives and whatnot. so if pearl jam was mad at the response in chicago some of it may have had to do with giving out those passes. this is just my thoughts on the subject but i will probably get thrown on the fire for pointing this out.

What exactly do those vinyl stickers and passes look like? I'm curious to know.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    I went to Van Andel last night and saw some pretty upset Fan Club Members about the seats. I am 269 and was in the 16th row, on the floor, stage left near the aisle. I understand that fan club members with senority being upset about the tickets, especially if the was the only show you went see. But, that was the first time I had ever been that close, and it was really something special. Normally, I'd be lucky to have row 16 on the side.

So, I am not going to piss on anyone for being upset, and call them whine-asses or anything. I just want to say, and maybe this will be a (very) small consolation, that last night was really special for me and a lot of other people who may not ever get those kind of seats again. That being said, the show was so amazing, and the Van Andel was so intimate that there was not a bad seat anywhere. Just to be apart of last should be enough.

For the Ten Club, I applaud the mixing up of tickets and propose that this practice continue in that the Fan Club numbers are rotated so that everyone can hopefully have first 10 rows at least once. This is not to say that seniority shouldn't play a role, however just because you have been in the Fan Club longer does not make you a bigger fan.

One last thing..........."all you need is love"
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    yeah, the ONE consolation about this whole thing is that some members, albeit newer, have gotten to see something amazing.

i'm more for the pricipal of maintaining an agreement.

i think future ticket sales should maybe be done via postcard system like in previous tours. this would shake up the tc members enough for each show.

the band was the one who drafted the Terms & Conditions regarding the sale of tickets, and it was their idea about lower numbers getting closer tickets.

hopefully there will be an announcement
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    What would you gusy do if PJ did it the dbest way and had an open floor? I thinkn floor seating is kinda silly.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    DieasGrey wrote:
    What would you gusy do if PJ did it the dbest way and had an open floor? I thinkn floor seating is kinda silly.

because of all the deaths at that show, I dont know if they'll ever do a full arena GA floor (aside from smaller arenas). It WOULD be cool to do a front 1/3 GA floor. Relatively safe. Gives the band something to watch that is different from song to song, and would elviate some of the seating issues.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    pghas wrote:

BRAVO!! I really enjoyed your post as yours finally brought some logic and sensibility back to this whack thread, lol!! I especially agree with you on the part about everyone who is in the 10c should be lucky enough to get a front row PJ experience at least once in their life.

Honestly I don't know why everyone is in shock about this as the 10c were spreading the ticket love across the whole 10c contigent back in '03. With myself having a mid to late 10c number of 276xxx, i actually scored front row tix in Vegas of all places (and caught the tamborine too!) and there is no way I should of had those seats for that show (a highly traveled to 10c show). To me, this is the way it should be. The 10c members with senority should for the most part be garuanteed "great" seats (and by great I mean rows 1-5...not ALWAYS front row) with the club filtering in a few lucky higher members at every show throughout those rows.

With this method, you are taking care of both the long standing members and the newer/high numbered members can at least have the knowledge that with a little additional effort on their part the day of the show, they too might possibly be "in the mix". As for me, I've had my front row PJ experience and I definitely made the most of it...I rocked my ass off the entire time as I knew that I may never have that opportunity again. And to be honest if I don't ever get front row again I won't be disappointed because 1.) I don't need to always be up front to have a good time...I just need the people around me to be as in the show as i am and 2.) the tix that I've scored thru the 10c while they haven't always been "great" seats, they've always been better than what I was ever able to score thru TM.

Peace on ya,

J.
  • Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    i have a pretty low 10c number and I think it's great if the 10C did more of this.
    What's the big deal? So you sit side stage for a few shows. Take the time to see how happy the folks in the front are. Might make u appreciate things more.

Long live 10c.
    And people, stop being so freakin ANAL about policies and shit. you're starting to sound like my fucking government.
  • Options
    1vs5 wrote:
    i have a pretty low 10c number and I think it's great if the 10C did more of this.
    What's the big deal? So you sit side stage for a few shows. Take the time to see how happy the folks in the front are. Might make u appreciate things more.

Long live 10c.
    And people, stop being so freakin ANAL about policies and shit. you're starting to sound like my fucking government.

i appreciate your feelings.

what should be said to the people with 60xxx which this was their only show since the last tour?

i think PJ built up expectations with their policy, then let a lot of people down. at least tell people ahead of time that it is reverse-priority.
  • Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    I don;t know what to tell them. If this was their ONLY show (which i seem to have doubts if my number was 60xxx) then yes the 10C should of kept them up front.

But whatever...it's life. Sometimes shit aint fair.
  • Options
    This is not to say that seniority shouldn't play a role, however just because you have been in the Fan Club longer does not make you a bigger fan.
    Actually, IT DOES. See this is how it works. Back in the old days when everyone was bad mouthing PJ as dead, lost, sucky, ala Vital and No Code, Korn was the new hip band. PJ was dead to alotta peeps. Well us FANS were there for those alblums, love those alblums and have never stopped supporting PJ. So if you just joined or never joined and have been around since the beginning, then I am a bigger fan. Plain and simple.
    Tell the Captain the boats not safe were drowning, turns out he's the one making waves.

9/29/96~9/10/98~9/11/98~8/24/00~8/25/00~4/30/03~7/08/03~7/09/03~9/15/05~9/16/05~10/1/05~5/5/06~5/12/06~5/13/06~5/27/06~5/28/06~6/1/06~6/3/06~6~19/08~6/24/08~6/25/08~6/27/08~8/5/08~10/30/09~10/31/09~5/20/10~5/21/10
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Actually, IT DOES. See this is how it works. Back in the old days when everyone was bad mouthing PJ as dead, lost, sucky, ala Vital and No Code, Korn was the new hip band. PJ was dead to alotta peeps. Well us FANS were there for those alblums, love those alblums and have never stopped supporting PJ. So if you just joined or never joined and have been around since the beginning, then I am a bigger fan. Plain and simple.
    no. it makes you're an older (as in longer) 10c member, NOT a bigger fan.
    Not all fans (far from it) are 10c members anyway. That makes them less geeky, not less enthusiast.

And that reasoning anyway ignores the poor 15 year old kid who was barely born when they started, but might still be far more enthusiastic (and probably far more fun for the band to play to) than you who might just have kept up by habit and keep on critisising the new stuff.

I'm not saying you in particular btw, just any senior 10c fan in general.
    you might really be PJ biggest most enthusiastic fan.
    But I'm sure several older members are just keeping an habit, reveling being in a 'select' club, just happened to be 10c rather than the Rotary.
  • Options
    FoGFoG Posts: 34

you're an asshat...i've bought every album PJ has ever released...i bought Ten a couple of weeks after it was released...i've got 20 bootlegs...i've been a loyal fan...but i'm not in the 10C...i didn't even know the 10c existed until 3 years ago...

your 10C# might equal your loyalty, but my lack of one doesn't equal mine. you and all the other wankers who list every show they've ever been to in their signature like its some big fucking deal.

but i digress, you're just better then me.

what a fucknut.
    Of course I value your opinion. It's what makes you wrong and me right.
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    First I'd like to thank the low number members that did get shafted for rocking out in the upper stands! It was so cool to look out and actually see people jamming and not just standing and talking during some of the No Code/Yield/Binaural/ Riot Act/ New songs. I believe this did in fact help the rest of the crowd as a whole. I myself have a "joined in 96" number and usually I am just looking at the backs of those who were a little to quicker to the post office than I was. I ended up with 3rd row dead in front of Mike last night. The best seats I've ever had. I'll have pictures and short vid clips up later.
    We scored a Mike and Jeff Pick and my wife drank the last drops of wine out of Ed's bottle during Crazy Mary.(TJ took the bottle- I thought I was getting it back afterwards?) The set was amazing and it was the type of bonding moment my wife and I needed. Thanks for one of the greatest nights of my life. It made the 4 hour drive home a breeze!
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    CJMST3K wrote:
    because of all the deaths at that show, I dont know if they'll ever do a full arena GA floor (aside from smaller arenas). It WOULD be cool to do a front 1/3 GA floor. Relatively safe. Gives the band something to watch that is different from song to song, and would elviate some of the seating issues.

they did it before that happened too
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    DieasGrey wrote:
    they did it before that happened too

Correct. I just think that especially because of all the deaths at that show, I dont know if they'll ever do a full arena GA floor (aside from smaller arenas). We probably wont witness full GA floors again in big venues - unless broken up into sections.

btw - just got back from The Strokes show - THEY ROCK! SEE THEM!!!
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    CJMST3K wrote:

i hate you

just kidding!

:D

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Correct. I just think that especially because of all the deaths at that show, I dont know if they'll ever do a full arena GA floor (aside from smaller arenas). We probably wont witness full GA floors again in big venues - unless broken up into sections.

Here's the deal. They are going to play the festivals over in Europe. They are GA, and huge. PJ has massive riders in their contract for safety, so they are watching for it. Truth be told, they could do GA for the US shows, but I guarantee you, it would not be as good. I look around at us FC members, particularly the ladies (not trying to be sexist), and, quite frankly, we have gotten too old for a pit.

Back in '96 in Seattle, my buddy and I were down in it for 6 songs (and we were in many before that), we looked at each other, said fuck it and had to pull back. It just gets too hot, too nuts, and in the end you miss half the music because you are just trying to survive. I am now 33. I get winded just jerking off. The pit would kill me.
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550

It is so great when people on here get so upset when they disagree with someone else. It is so the opposite of what a fan Pearl Jam should be, it isn't even funny...

First, I want to say that I respect your opinion and I think senority in the FC should play some type of role.....however.....

Your logic that time in the FC equals passion does not make sense, in fact many would agrue the exact opposite in that time equals complacency, which is the likely reason for the mixing up of FC seats at the GR show.

Not that I feel I need to explain myself to you but, the reason I didn't join the FC earlier was because all my friends thought I was insane and obsessive about Pearl Jam and in my teenage mind I figured if I could say, "Hey, its not like I joined the fan club," I could retain some sort of...dignity? (I can't think of exactly what I mean)... Believe me, I regret it now, but don't think because you were in the FC before me or anyone else that it somehow makes you some all-mighty fan.

The only difference between old and new FC members is a number. But, I said before that I think senority sould play a role, it just should not be the only factor for determining seating at a show.....everyone should have a chance to get into the first 10 rows.

I can honestly say that all I would ever want is to sit in the first 5 rows one time, after that I don't give a shit where I sit and I would happily give up my tickets to someone else who had never sat that close just so they could have the experience.

I love you and all Pearl Jam fans....remember we all share a special bond....let's all stop being so selfish and start caring about other people.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    First I'd like to thank the low number members that did get shafted for rocking out in the upper stands! It was so cool to look out and actually see people jamming and not just standing and talking during some of the No Code/Yield/Binaural/ Riot Act/ New songs. I believe this did in fact help the rest of the crowd as a whole. I myself have a "joined in 96" number and usually I am just looking at the backs of those who were a little to quicker to the post office than I was. I ended up with 3rd row dead in front of Mike last night. The best seats I've ever had. I'll have pictures and short vid clips up later.
    We scored a Mike and Jeff Pick and my wife drank the last drops of wine out of Ed's bottle during Crazy Mary.(TJ took the bottle- I thought I was getting it back afterwards?) The set was amazing and it was the type of bonding moment my wife and I needed. Thanks for one of the greatest nights of my life. It made the 4 hour drive home a breeze!

Whatever happened, this show rocked. I agree with you that while whomever is on the floor will be enthusiastic, having the longtime fans on the sides just energized the entire place, and the synergy with the band was incredible that night. I was thrilled that people like you got to experience being up close; something which I have been fortunate enough to experience a lot, and which every fan should be able to experience at least once.

It was refreshing to be up on the side again; the view was perfect and there were cup holders! ;) It made me realize what it was that has kept me coming back for more... 106 shows, and most of them before seniority was put in place. All of us low numbers have paid their dues and rocked out from whereever in the venue. And we fell in love with the band that way. It was no big deal to sit on the side, and with the setlist, it was definitely one of the best shows/performances/synergy I've seen.

I think it is good to shake things up. They are doing some GA shows (in SF) and I would love to see them do something like have the first show in a city be random seating, and the second show be seniority. I have a lot of friends with higher numbers and I would be happy to see them up front. But also don't be jealous of the senior fans; we've put a lot of time and investment in this band, often following them on tour, and they are rewarding that loyalty.

That being said, I vehemently object to changes in the system *after* the tickets have been sold. I plan my shows carefully to be with friends and to go to smaller, out of the way places where I have a chance to be front row. I spend hundreds of dollars to fly to these shows and pay for hotels, etc. I live near SF so I would go to those GA shows anyway, but what about the people who decided to fly in for these small venue shows, thinking they were buying seniority tickets, only to find out they've just spent hundreds of dollars for a GA show. I'm sure Grand Rapids was an accident, but in general, people with low numbers aren't elitist; they don't expect front row, they don't feel entitled. Whatever system the band wants to have is great, and if they want to mix it up more, they would. They evidently like the system they have.

All we ask is not to change the seating *after* the tickets are sold, plans made and plane tickets bought.

Let's hope they try this again in the future or a random system at some shows, so more of the higher numbers can get lucky. This is one great band which we all love.
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    I went to Van Andel last night and saw some pretty upset Fan Club Members about the seats. I am 269 and was in the 16th row, on the floor, stage left near the aisle. I understand that fan club members with senority being upset about the tickets, especially if the was the only show you went see. But, that was the first time I had ever been that close, and it was really something special. Normally, I'd be lucky to have row 16 on the side.

[bold]So, I am not going to piss on anyone for being upset, and call them whine-asses or anything. I just want to say, and maybe this will be a (very) small consolation, that last night was really special for me and a lot of other people who may not ever get those kind of seats again. That being said, the show was so amazing, and the Van Andel was so intimate that there was not a bad seat anywhere. Just to be apart of last should be enough.[/bold]

For the Ten Club, I applaud the mixing up of tickets and propose that this practice continue in that the Fan Club numbers are rotated so that everyone can hopefully have first 10 rows at least once. This is not to say that seniority shouldn't play a role, however just because you have been in the Fan Club longer does not make you a bigger fan.

One last thing..........."all you need is love"

and you are the reason why Pearl Jam did what they did Friday night. I'm very happy for folks like you. I'm 149xxx and I wouldn't have been too affected by the shuffle, but with that said, I think Eddie and the boys simply got tired of seeing the same damn faces year after year, concert after concert in the first few rows. They know that TC members in the 200x and 300x are just as hard core, why else are they in the TC.

Better to join the fan club later than never and that's all that PJ was trying to do - give you that once or few times opportunity to be just a little bit closer and have the usual suspects be in your seats for a change.

I wasn't at the GR show, but my friend was who is 89xxx and he was disappointed, but more just suprised and he was still able to enjoy the show.

PJ can and will assign tickets as they like and it's their right. I'm sure they enjoyed themselves even more by being energized by seeing the newer faces and their extreme pleasure Friday night.

It's all good!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena