Seattle Homelessness

124»

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 8,470
    my2hands said:
    Last time real estate markets overheated and prices became overpriced everything went well lol

Yeah. It's amazing how people forget, every single time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 42,727
    edited July 31
    I usually dont chime in but who wouldnt want the value of their home to shoot up? There’s nothing insensitive or selfish with wanting that.  These are your belongings and investments.  I certainly wouldnt want to be upside down or stagnant on the value.  
    Did you folks totally ignore my last post about it? As I said, lots and lots of people no longer want that here. It's causing way too many other big huge problems that are bad for everyone, including their own children. Yes, many people actually are not that selfish. Housing cannot work in a market where it is purely being treated as a financial investment. Cities cannot thrive like that. It harms businesses and society, it fucks with the price of everything else, etc. Yes indeed, those who would like to profit from this kind of extreme situation without giving a shit about the dire consequences are just being selfish fucks. That's really sad that some are so comfortable with that. I guess those are the folks who think money is the most important thing in the world, even more important than their children's futures. I'm not talking about a normal housing market - of course where there isn't a literal crisis, appreciation is desirable for any homeowner. But not in the case of an insane bubble like this.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 2,396
    PJ_Soul said:
    I usually dont chime in but who wouldnt want the value of their home to shoot up? There’s nothing insensitive or selfish with wanting that.  These are your belongings and investments.  I certainly wouldnt want to be upside down or stagnant on the value.  
    Did you folks totally ignore my last post about it? As I said, lots and lots of people no longer want that here. It's causing way too many other big huge problems that are bad for everyone, including their own children. Yes, many people actually are not that selfish. Housing cannot work in a market where it is purely being treated as a financial investment. Cities cannot thrive like that. It harms businesses and society, it fucks with the price of everything else, etc. Yes indeed, those who would like to profit from this kind of extreme situation without giving a shit about the dire consequences are just being selfish fucks. That's really sad that some are so comfortable with that. I guess those are the folks who think money is the most important thing in the world, even more important than their children's futures. I'm not talking about a normal housing market - of course where there isn't a literal crisis, appreciation is desirable for any homeowner. But not in the case of an insane bubble like this.
    If people who own homes in Vancouver feel home prices are to high, then when they list they are free to sell at a discount...are they not?  People who view their home as an investment and tool to improve their lot in life are not selfish ... thats ridiculous.

edited July 31
    PJ_Soul said:
    If people who own homes in Vancouver feel home prices are to high, then when they list they are free to sell at a discount...are they not?  People who view their home as an investment and tool to improve their lot in life are not selfish ... thats ridiculous.

Yeah, when the problems stemming from all this are this damaging to people, yes, it's selfish as fuck, but no, I don't mean people who have been in their home for a long time and just want to sell in a hot market (christ, I thought that would be a given - I guess you people think I'm pretty fucking stupid). I'm talking about speculators, who buy high and sell higher (or just let the home sit empty as it appreciates, which is so common; some neighborhoods are being ruined by this too) - who literally treat the entire transaction as an investment while people are unable to find anywhere to live. Again, I'm not talking about a normal housing market. I'm talking about a specific and extreme situation. One that is leading to what Amnesty International is now calling economic apartheid. Well, the BC government is finally attempting to curb this shit with speculation taxes and higher foreign buyer taxes and empty home taxes and harsher regulations and penalties for all the corrupt real estate agents, but it's not doing enough. Normally these measures have created only a temporary small dip in the market rather than any meaningful permanent correction.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 2,396
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, when the problems stemming from all this are this damaging to people, yes, it's selfish as fuck, but no, I don't mean people who have been in their home for a long time and just want to sell in a hot market (christ, I thought that would be a given - I guess you people think I'm pretty fucking stupid). I'm talking about speculators, who buy high and sell higher (or just let the home sit empty as it appreciates) - who literally treat the entire transaction as an investment. Again, I'm not talking about a normal housing market. I'm talking about a specific and extreme situation. One that is leading to what Amnesty International is now calling economic apartheid. Well, the BC government is finally attempting to curb this shit with speculation taxes and higher foreign buyer taxes and empty home taxes and harsher regulations and penalties for all the corrupt real estate agents, but it's not doing enough. Normally these measures have created only a temporary dip in the market rather than any meaningful permanent correction.
    Well I'm not talking about speculators.  Why has the government not banned the practice completely since it so damaging?  Apparently higher taxes are not helping...

I'm just guessing here, the reason its not banned is the government enjoys the taxes from the foreign buyers...

And I agree, homes should not sit empty.

But speculators are everywhere.  

The people I'm talking about are people who choose to invest in their home to have better retirement ...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 14,260
    This all sounds reminiscent of most of Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs and San Fran.
    edited August 1

This all sounds reminiscent of most of Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs and San Fran.
    Yup, almost exactly, but not quite. Salaries are more in line with housing costs in NYC and San Fran. That's why cost of living statistics are still better in those cities than in Vancouver, so my city wears the very shameful crown for being the least affordable city in North America (and 3rd least affordable city in the world, apparently).
    PJ_Soul said:

Yup, almost exactly, but not quite. Salaries are more in line with housing costs in NYC and San Fran. That's why cost of living statistics are still better in those cities than in Vancouver, which places my city wears the very shameful crown for being the least affordable city in North America (and 3rd least affordable city in the world, apparently).
    MVGA 
    edited August 1
    PJ_Soul said:

Yup, almost exactly, but not quite. Salaries are more in line with housing costs in NYC and San Fran. That's why cost of living statistics are still better in those cities than in Vancouver, so my city wears the very shameful crown for being the least affordable city in North America (and 3rd least affordable city in the world, apparently).
    MVGA 
    :lol: Yeah! I need to buy my hat.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 14,260
    PJ_Soul said:

Yup, almost exactly, but not quite. Salaries are more in line with housing costs in NYC and San Fran. That's why cost of living statistics are still better in those cities than in Vancouver, which places my city wears the very shameful crown for being the least affordable city in North America (and 3rd least affordable city in the world, apparently).
    MVGA 
    NO no no no!!!

MVCA...

Make Vancouver Cheap Again!!!
    edited August 1
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

MVGA 
    It will be in blue and green, with a complex whale, mountain and weed motif, and it will come with a kombucha smoothie. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

MVGA 
    It will be in blue and green, with a complex whale, mountain and weed motif, and it will come with a kombucha smoothie. 
    And the city will spend $2.5M to design it, send it through a complex market review and focus group process, change it 4 or 5 times, and then go back to the first idea. :lol:
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ONPosts: 7,235
    PJ_Soul said:

This seems to be the unintended but inevitable consequence of a free market. On one hand, we are encouraged to identify a societal need and deliver the product or service to fill that need, optimized for profitability to enrich ourselves (we even coined it so beautifully the "American Dream"). On the other hand, we have recently worked hard to warn of too much enrichment when it carries consequence for the society at large - but this really hadn't been broadcast until the wealth inequality and concentration were too great to be undone.

More shitty design prevalent in society, more beds we must now sleep in (or streets we must now sleep on). At this rate, I think it's safe to expect a lot of building up of rural areas surrounding high-cost urban ones, as we're seeing in Ontario's Greater Toronto Area.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PapPap Serres, GreecePosts: 20,061

Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin
    I wanna [Pearl] jam it wid you.
    Were [Pearl] jammin, [Pearl] jammin
    And I hope you like [Pearl] jammin too.

Sep 30, 2006 - OAKA Sports Hall - Athens, Greece
    Jul 11, 2014 - Milton Keynes Bowl - Milton Keynes, UK
  • PapPap Serres, GreecePosts: 20,061

Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin
    I wanna [Pearl] jam it wid you.