Options

Neil Diamond

GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
edited July 2008 in Other Music
We saw Neil again last night. The man rules!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    GoBucky wrote:

Go to agree with you on that. I think my father broke about 3 different 8-tracks of "Hot August Night" when I was growing up. Those songs are burned into my psyche.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    Go to agree with you on that. I think my father broke about 3 different 8-tracks of "Hot August Night" when I was growing up. Those songs are burned into my psyche.

omg, my parents played the hell out of neil diamond when I was kid. some of my first memories of music.
  • Options
    There's a few people in the world - Joe Mercer, Neil Diamond, David Attenborough - who if I met them I would get genuinely starstruck.

I think "I am, I said" is a song for anyone who lives where they're not from, my favourite song by him.

The man is a legend.
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    GoBucky wrote:

i was looking for tickets to the albany show, but i just can't afford those prices at this time. i'm bummed about it. i'd absolutely love to see him live.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Little known Neil Diamond facts:

"He once breast-fed a flamingo back to health."

"He hated Mexicans! And he was half Mexican! .......And he hated irony!"

"I once saw him scissor kick Angela Landsbury."

"He sheds his skin once a year."

"He once punched a hole in a cow just to see who was coming up the road."

"They say Gene Roddenbery got the idea for Star Trek from listening to Brasky talk in his sleep."

"He date raped David Bowie."

"He once inhaled a seagull."

"The Pope told him it was ok to have a mistress."

"He uses the Shroud of Turin as a golf towel."

"He once ate the Bible while water skiing."

Oh, wait, that was Bill Brasky. Nevermind.

:o
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'll be seeing Neil (again) in October. Looking forward to it, he doesn't disappoint. As long as the sideburns are there too, I'll be happy.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Some people, when you mention Neil Diamond, turn their noses up and think of some of his more glitzy mid-period music.  But the man has made some great music, especially his early records and his work with Rick Rubin and some of the guys from Tom Petty's Heartbreakers. 12 songs,  for example, is great.

Yet somehow I'd missed Home Before Dark until today.  More really great songwriting and fine performances.  Lasting music with a lot of heart.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    brianlux said:
    Some people, when you mention Neil Diamond, turn their noses up and think of some of his more glitzy mid-period music.  But the man has made some great music, especially his early records and his work with Rick Rubin and some of the guys from Tom Petty's Heartbreakers. 12 songs,  for example, is great.

Yet somehow I'd missed Home Before Dark until today.  More really great songwriting and fine performances.  Lasting music with a lot of heart.
    You're  absolutely correct Brian. A lot of people don't  know or realize the brilliance of this man.
    Yeah he's  made a lot of schmaltzy schlock but he's  also written some of the greatest pop hits.

Daydream Believer
    Cracklin  Rosie
    Sweet Caroline
    Red Red Wine
    Forever in Blue Jeans (covered by PJ July 1995)
    Girl, You'll  be a Woman Soon

And on and on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

You're  absolutely correct Brian. A lot of people don't  know or realize the brilliance of this man.
    Yeah he's  made a lot of schmaltzy schlock but he's  also written some of the greatest pop hits.

Daydream Believer
    Cracklin  Rosie
    Sweet Caroline
    Red Red Wine

And on and on
    Exactly!

I had a friend back in the late seventies and eighties who turned me on to all kinds of great music, everything from Robert Fripp and Brian Eno to Tom Petty to Chopin.  One day he pulled out this album:

I thought it had to be some kind of joke and I kept waiting for the punch line.  But then put put the record on and we listened to all these great songs and I was set straight right then and there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Daydream Believer
    Cracklin  Rosie
    Sweet Caroline
    Red Red Wine

And on and on
    Exactly!

I had a friend back in the late seventies and eighties who turned me on to all kinds of great music, everything from Robert Fripp and Brian Eno to Tom Petty to Chopin.  One day he pulled out this album:

I thought it had to be some kind of joke and I kept waiting for the punch line.  But then put put the record on and we listened to all these great songs and I was set straight right then and there!
    I feel the same way about early Bee Gees. 

Some brilliant songs those fellas wrote and recorded.

And even a lot of the disco tunes are good lyrically; they just sound like shit-stained sequins.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him."
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:
    "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him."
    Baby steps to Neil Diamond appreciation?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    :lol:

• Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Daydream Believer
    Cracklin  Rosie
    Sweet Caroline
    Red Red Wine

And on and on
    Exactly!

I feel the same way about early Bee Gees. 

Some brilliant songs those fellas wrote and recorded.

And even a lot of the disco tunes are good lyrically; they just sound like shit-stained sequins.
    I agree!  With maybe one exception...

"Checkered flag, checkered flag, check-ered flag for Harry Braff..."

...well, ok, it's kinda cute I guess.  :lol:

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,287
    Saw some really sad news yesterday:

"Legendary singer, songwriter and performer Neil Diamond today announced his retirement from touring due to his recent diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease. The onset of the disease has made it difficult to travel and perform on a large scale basis but will allow Mr. Diamond to continue his writing, recording and development of new projects. Based on his doctors’ advice, the third leg of Diamond’s 50th Anniversary tour, set to land in Australia and New Zealand this March, has been cancelled.

“It is with great reluctance and disappointment that I announce my retirement from concert touring. I have been so honored to bring my shows to the public for the past 50 years,” said Neil Diamond.”My sincerest apologies to everyone who purchased tickets and were planning to come to the upcoming shows.

I plan to remain active in writing, recording and other projects for a long time to come.

My thanks goes out to my loyal and devoted audiences around the world. You will always have my appreciation for your support and encouragement. This ride has been ‘so good, so good, so good’ thanks to you.”

The Australia and New Zealand leg of the 50th Anniversary tour (announced by TEG DAINTY in November, 2017) was scheduled to visit a number of outdoor stadiums as well as arena and winery shows in Australia and New Zealand. This would have been the third leg of the 50th Anniversary tour with Diamond selling out shows in the U.S. and Europe throughout 2017."

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)