Options

Who decided to change the Speed of Sound ???

I want to speak to him or her.  :lol:
Man, make a Cd version of Backspacer and replace the album version with the demo and it transforms the identity of the album.  Becomes a foundation of three or four great arena tunes and three great Eddie ballads.  Still my favorite 21st century PJ album but what a missed opportunity. 

The demo is so powerful.  

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Bob
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Bob
    That was my initial suspect too  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Same story with Gone...
  • Options
    I dislike b.o.b, ruins shit
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Bob
    Is that confirmed?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Yeah for the span from binaural to avocado, I always wished Brendan would come back. Now it seems he's hell bent on making grammy albums that have a lot of variety. I like the variety aspect, but it has to come naturally from the band. For the life of me, I can't see any of the band members transforming that demo to what it became. Shame (bell ringing). 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    The lyrics are more powerful on the demo and that ebow or delay effect is killer. 

Oh man those bells on the studio version. Cringe
  • Options
    When I heard the drums kicking in on Backspacer, after hearing the demo version

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Bob
    Is that confirmed?
    Just what I remember reading about back in 2010.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    The Backspacer version sounds over produced.
  • Options
    The Backspacer version sounds over produced.
    The demo though is very.....demo-like. Haha! I put both recordings on opposite ends of the spectrum. Where's that happy middle spot?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yeah man a studio version of the demo is what we all need
  • Options
    The solo demo of Gone is better than the full band album version on Avocado... but to be fair, I think it comes down to not having too many EV solo songs on an album, so they make them full band songs... Backspacer is only 30 minutes long and already has EV solo classics with Just Breathe & The End... I agree SOS demo version is better, but I see the issue they faced
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    The solo demo of Gone is better than the full band album version on Avocado... but to be fair, I think it comes down to not having too many EV solo songs on an album, so they make them full band songs... Backspacer is only 30 minutes long and already has EV solo classics with Just Breathe & The End... I agree SOS demo version is better, but I see the issue they faced
    Then replace The End with it, and throw in a studio version of Falling Down. PROBLEM SOLVED.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    If you're going to dump any songs from Backspacer, it should be The Fixer IMO.
  • Options
    Sarava said:
    Cameron Crowes The Fixer music video or David Finchers Freeom'90 music video. Which one is the most iconic?
  • Options
    How you feel about the Fixer probably defines how you feel about Backspacer as a whole :lol:
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    Sarava said:
    Cameron Crowes The Fixer music video or David Finchers Freeom'90 music video. Which one is the most iconic?
    Yes.
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Then replace The End with it, and throw in a studio version of Falling Down. PROBLEM SOLVED.
    The End is the best PJ album closer since 1993 my friend... no way that should be chopped for anything 
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    edited January 2018
    Not sure if non-musicians will quite understand this, but when I first heard the demo of Speed of Sound, I felt that the time signature was 6/4, which would give it a waltzy/swingy kind of feel, and I always used to feel that groove when I listened to it. Later, when I heard the Backspacer version, and the drums kick in on a standard 4/4 pattern, it completely ruined the feel of the song for me. One of these days, I want to record some drums and bass over the original demo, and when I do, will share and hopefully illustrate what I mean...
    Post edited by drummerboy_73 on
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I like both versions of SOS, but there definitely is a raw eeriness about the demo that could've transcended Backspacer to new heights.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    The End is the best PJ album closer since 1993 my friend... no way that should be chopped for anything 
    Idk, I'm with Chaos on this one.  The End is one of two PJ originals I don't like.
  • Options
    Not sure if non-musicians will quite understand this, but when I first heard the demo of Gone, I felt that the time signature was 6/4, which would give it a waltzy/swingy kind of feel, and I always used to feel that groove when I listened to it. Later, when I heard the Backspacer version, and the drums kick in on a standard 4/4 pattern, it completely ruined the feel of the song for me. One of these days, I want to record some drums and bass over the original demo, and when I do, will share and hopefully illustrate what I mean...
    DO IT NOW!
  • Options

my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Not sure if non-musicians will quite understand this, but when I first heard the demo of Gone, I felt that the time signature was 6/4, which would give it a waltzy/swingy kind of feel, and I always used to feel that groove when I listened to it. Later, when I heard the Backspacer version, and the drums kick in on a standard 4/4 pattern, it completely ruined the feel of the song for me. One of these days, I want to record some drums and bass over the original demo, and when I do, will share and hopefully illustrate what I mean...
    backspacer version of Gone? I'm not following......
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Japanese tour edition.
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Idk, I'm with Chaos on this one.  The End is one of two PJ originals I don't like.
    You guys need to clean your ears :)
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Oops! Meant 'Speed of Sound'...got sidetracked reading another post! :)
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)