Options

R.E.M - Where to start?

124»

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Automatic is one of the best sounding vinyls I've heard. I think I have a Euro OG and it's damn good.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    And a sweet deluxe reissue! Wonder if the remixed SACD will be a part of it?
    this band has one extensive vault. imagine if PJ did the deluxe reissue for all their albums. we'd all go nuts. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    disappointed this isn't getting a deluxe vinyl treatment. 

I'm gonna pass on it. I have the Pallas german pressing from 10 years ago or whenever and its perfect (not the US pressing with the weird wobbly Nightswimming/Find The River).

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,404

Automatic For The People (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) [3 CD/Blu-Ray][Deluxe Edition]

http://amzn.to/2y6zsmc
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    R.E.M.'s first TV appearance.  Great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQo0cR1onRM
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    According to REM's Twitter account Automatic for the People is getting a proper reissue this fall. Finally!!!
    what's wrong with the original?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Watched Dan Rather interview Mike & Michael on AXS TV.....was a very insightful interview....makes me wish they would reform!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Watched Dan Rather interview Mike & Michael on AXS TV.....was a very insightful interview....makes me wish they would reform!
    Oh man, Yeah!  Even if just for a while.

I've been listening this this one on CD (might need to get the vinyl one of these days!) a fair amount lately. 

Great stuff!  The third disc is a DVD and though I am not a fan of the artsy  photography (which is downright irritating at times), the performances are first rate. 

What a great band!  After all these years, still a huge fan.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    A MUST see for R.E.M. fans.  I have the single disc DVD but I think I may be getting the full 6 disc set for Christmas.  Woo hoo!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    A MUST see for R.E.M. fans.  I have the single disc DVD but I think I may be getting the full 6 disc set for Christmas.  Woo hoo!

Yep. I have that disc. Love it. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    I want this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ^^^^

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    lolobugg said:
    I want this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ^^^^
    Me too!!!
  • Options
    JB Hi Fi Natasha, go there!
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    It's not on their website. My JB is small, maybe I'll try Sydney shop next time I'm up there. 
  • Options
    It's not on their website. My JB is small, maybe I'll try Sydney shop next time I'm up there. 
    Hmmm, must've gotten rid of it from their stocklist because I bought my copy from them.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I've been listening this this one on CD (might need to get the vinyl one of these days!) a fair amount lately. 

Great stuff!  The third disc is a DVD and though I am not a fan of the artsy  photography (which is downright irritating at times), the performances are first rate. 

Anyone know if these shows were recorded in 1989?  If so, I almost went to these, but decided I shouldn't arrange that part of my backpacking trip just by where REM was playing.  Probably was still the right decision but in this convo, it feels SO WRONG!  I definitely missed some REM shows in Dublin that year, I just don't know if it was these specific shows.  Wondering...
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Anyone know if these shows were recorded in 1989?  If so, I almost went to these, but decided I shouldn't arrange that part of my backpacking trip just by where REM was playing.  Probably was still the right decision but in this convo, it feels SO WRONG!  I definitely missed some REM shows in Dublin that year, I just don't know if it was these specific shows.  Wondering...
    No they were recorded over 5 nights in June/July 2007.
    Manchester 17.8.09, Manchester 21.6.12, Copenhagen 10.7.12, Manchester 28.7.12 (EV), Phoenix 19.11.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Vienna 25.6.14, Leeds 8.7.14, London 6.6.17 (EV), London 18.6.18, Krakow 3.7.18, London 17.7.18, Dublin 3.7.19 (EV)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

No they were recorded over 5 nights in June/July 2007.
    Excellent, I feel less awful! :)
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,284
    @brianlux Hey Brian, did you ever hear REM's cover of Academy Fight Song? I know you're a big Mission of Burma fan

https://youtu.be/3Y8g0uGuJ4w

I like it, probably because I heard it before I'd heard the MOB original. A friend of mine who love MOB absolutely hates this version!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    goldrush said:
    @brianlux Hey Brian, did you ever hear REM's cover of Academy Fight Song? I know you're a big Mission of Burma fan

I like it, probably because I heard it before I'd heard the MOB original. A friend of mine who love MOB absolutely hates this version!
    Oh man!  Yeah yeah yeah!  Thanks!  Never heard that before - cool!  Not sure why your friend doesn't like it.  Doesn't top the original though, that's true!
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    goldrush said:

Never heard this and I thought I've heard every R.E.M. song.
  • Options
    It was the b-side to their 1989 Christmas fan club single (remember when bands used to send out holiday singles...)
    The A-side was a bizarre version of Good King Wenceslas that I've probably only played once or twice.

They had some pretty cool holiday singles over the years. Some cheesy Christmas stuff, but also some great covers. I remember Peter Buck saying that they may release them all in a box set for charity one day, but that was a few years ago now

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Nice!  I hope they release them some day!

• Options
    Me too! The version of Country Feedback with Neil at the Bridge School was their 1999 single, backed with a great version of Ambulance Blues from the same show (Neil singing). Probably up there with Merkinball as one of my favourite singles I own.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    (remember when bands used to send out holiday singles...)

Not me, I was only 5 years old then haha
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Me too! The version of Country Feedback with Neil at the Bridge School was their 1999 single, backed with a great version of Ambulance Blues from the same show (Neil singing). Probably up there with Merkinball as one of my favourite singles I own.
    That's a great version of that song though a bit weird the way Michael Stipe sits on the floor while Neil is soloing.  Also funny that Michels calls it his "favorite" R.E.M. song.  He's said that a few other times about other songs!  I think it's been posted here before but here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VfQBDoX6E

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Thank you for posting that video.  Amazing song and version.

I would pay $1,000 in a heartbeat to see this band live.  I am sure many others would too.  Hello charity show.  Come on....
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    That's a great version of that song though a bit weird the way Michael Stipe sits on the floor while Neil is soloing.  Also funny that Michels calls it his "favorite" R.E.M. song.  He's said that a few other times about other songs!  I think it's been posted here before but here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VfQBDoX6E

Yeah he said it about Fall On Me during one of the unplugged sessions I think. Haha
  • Options
    Thank you for posting that video.  Amazing song and version.

I would pay $1,000 in a heartbeat to see this band live.  I am sure many others would too.  Hello charity show.  Come on....
    Yes, to see any band but yes, to see R.E.M. again would be a major thrill!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Who here has abundant flexible funds?  This is a pretty sweet score for any hardcore fans (or even me, a giant fan even if not the hardcore-est of the hardcore).  But that price tag... not gonna happen for me, but maybe one of you?  Oh, and definitely check out Peter Buck's note explaining the price, that's what makes it an even rarer, more amazing score!

Post edited by JH6056 on