Let's Play Two Fanviews Here

Comments

• Saw it last night with my daughter who is as much a fan as I am. Loved every minute of it. The sound was great, picture quality great and so happy the theater had the full reclining lazy boy type seating throughout the entire place. It was so comfortable, felt like I was home on the couch. I hate those tiny cram in seating theaters. The place was about 3/4 full and they cranked the sound up to almost real concert level. 

Highlights for me were, Release, Last Exit and Corduroy. I'm not a huge fan of Baseball anymore but have been in the past so that all seemed to tie in perfectly with the songs chosen for the film (pretty much greatest hits) and I could understand Ed's love for the place where a lot of his childhood memories live. It was fun seeing him back there like a kid all over again but this time with so much access. Loved Jeff's comment about how Pearl Jam became more than he could have ever even dreamed. Mike says he quit his day job and he says " man I hope this becomes something I quit my job "...lol   Seeing them interact together on the rooftop jamming was real cool and those Wrigley crowds were great. 

The only complaint I would have is the editing of Black. You can't do that, the whole song is important, I'm waiting for Mike's solo, the do do do do do doooo. As soon as that happened everyone in the theater was looking around like what happened. Hey we had a skip, heads were swiveling all around to see if the projector area was ok. The recliners were all going up and down lol. 

Funniest part was when Ed found that pile of Sod scraps back in 93' he was like this is a big score. I'm gonna take some home and plant it and have Wrigley sod growing at my house and he's putting his nose all in it sniffing it. lmfao  
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,592
    nycrats said:
    kramer73 said:
    I thought Stone playing some Steely Dan was pretty awesome.
    loved it!

how does ev NOT know that song?  its been around as long as he has!  i know he was into punk/hardcore what have you but thats a pretty well known song.. its almost public domain at this point 
    My wife said that too!
  • Saw it opening night:  the performances are pretty great, but there was something off about it - I think it didn’t flow as week as it could have.  Maybe Clinch (and others (?) who wrote it) is too inexperienced as a director.  One thing I do know is that the history of the Cubs kinda lagged.  

6/10 and my least favorite pj doc.  Hoping a 2nd viewing bumps it up to a 7/10.
  • kramer73 said:
    The Rock said:
    I saw it last night in Liverpool, and I thought it was spectacular!  I feel the complaints about too much baseball stuff are unfounded. It definitely felt to me like there was more concert footage than baseball stuff, and what was in there was exceptionally well told and matched up perfectly with the music.

I'm a Brit and I know nothing about baseball, but as the film went on I felt myself becoming more and more invested in the Cubs story. Pure joy at the end, it was lovely.

Sound quality was fantastic, and SO LOUD. My ears were ringing when I left the cinema.  Concert footage was unbelievable, easily the best officially released stuff so far.  I can't wait to see the bonus performances on the Blu-ray.  Masters of War will no doubt blow my mind :)

My ONLY small complaint is the way they cut 'Black' short. It's such a great performance that builds and builds, and as Mike is wailing away towards the end it just sharply cuts to Theo Epstein giving us a tour of the Cubs' locker room. It's very jarring, and a little disappointing. But the full performance is in the special features so I can't complain that much.

Overall, I was thrilled and this is definitely my favourite PJ film release. 
    I agree, the review about how it wasn't what they thought it would be was just the opposite for me.  I thought it blended the two things perfectly.

I felt like I was at a concert, down to the people leaving the theater to go to the bathroom (which I thought was odd).
    There was not enough baseball (cubs history)!!!  The flick idn’t gel well.
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,179
    Danny Clinch did a phenomenal job weaving the story of the Cubs World Series 108 year drought, their magical season, and the incredible music of Pearl Jam.  This was very, very well done.  So many pieces of video were woven together, the music was awesome.   I look forward to watching this many times over.  
    Best part, it was the first time I can ever recall the lights not coming on as Alive was played.  Ha ha. 
  • I also feel like there is something that can't be captured when trying to portray Pearl Jam on film.  Like PJ20 I was at the theatre with great expectations (not really knowing what I wanted to see mind you) but nevertheless felt like the next big scene was coming after the one I was watching.  I left the theatre thinking "that's it"?

Let's play two as another poster stated and I agree "It didn't quite gel".  This movie had the top bun (EVs passion for the cubs and bottom bun (Pearl Jam live performances) but not meat. I think the fusion was pushed at times to make it fit.  Take away the baseball and make a movie of only the performances during Wrigley for those 2nights now we're talking. There was a considerable amount of time showing very grainy first performance footage which was to excess.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Went and seen it at Ifc theater this past weekend and enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. I guess I'm not that into concert films in a movie theater. Doesn't really capture the energy.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    nycrats said:
    kramer73 said:
    I thought Stone playing some Steely Dan was pretty awesome.
    loved it!

how does ev NOT know that song?  its been around as long as he has!  i know he was into punk/hardcore what have you but thats a pretty well known song.. its almost public domain at this point 
    Agree, how does he not know it?  I would have liked to hear them play a little more with Ed singing, I think they would do a great cover.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • I think the film was excellent. You don't have to be a Cubs fan to appreciate the connection to a sports team. The songs were great. I felt funny sitting down. One of the best parts for me was watching Matt play the drums and chew gum at the same time and Release. Went to the Prince theater in Philly to see the show. Now I'm ready for the real thing in Philly. Good job, excellent movie!
  • ecko316ecko316 Chile Posts: 68
    Ready for Let's play two in chile!!!! Sold out in this cinema 
    Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011)
    Santiago, Chile (November 16, 2011)
    Santiago, Chile (November 04, 2015)
    New York 1 (May 01, 2016)
    New York 2 (May 02, 2016)
    Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016)
    Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016)
    Eddie Vedder Amsterdam, Netherlands (May 29, 2017)
    Santiago, Chile (March 13, 2018)
    Santiago Chile (March 16, 2018)
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    So so good!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I stayed up late to watch it last night and it was really good! The movie was better than I expected!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Saw it last night. Just wasn’t into the idea I guess. It was all about Ed. I think I’m more into the other band members and their processes as a band. The rooftop stuff was kinda cool, otherwise didn’t think it warranted holding up the boots for fans. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    I made it in the movie!! During Betterman!  =)
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    I was happy to see footage from 2013 included too
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    I thought it was great but too short!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    edited October 2017
    Loved this so much more than I thought i would. Emotional. Fun. Great performances.  Great behind the scenes stuff. 

Perfect mix of music and baseball.  A good gauge for me is that my wife isnt a big PJ fan and definitely isnt a baseball fan but was so invested in this film that she even asked when the bluray comes out :lol:  The next day she kept saying “man that was good!”
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited October 2017
    I was happy to see footage from 2013 included too
    I was there in 2013... so of course I ran to the washroom right before they touched on the 2013 show. I missed that part completely, lol. My friend informed me as soon as I came back in, and I offered the whole theatre a hearty "Oh shit!". :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    Wow, what an epic  documentary about rock and roll and sport. 
    Nice to see this Eddie Special about his favorite team. 
    If you can relate to supporters around the world you feel how extra ordinary this win is. 
    Nice to see the band enjoying the world of Eddie. 
    And the interviews with the people in and around the stadium what’s very nice. 
    A lot of connections these people have. 
    Music was nice. Always love to hear Jeremy. 
    Release was very cool for the guy, nice to see the filmer told Ed about him. 
    Luckily I always read comments so I waited for Mind your Manners :)

| Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Should I watch this or The Melvins tonight? :/
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,795
    edited October 2017
    Should I watch this or The Melvins tonight? :/
    Bought tickets to Melvins.

Should I watch this and miss 30 minutes of the opening act Red Kross, or go see Red Kross?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ed spoke beautifully of Gord Downie and his battle with terminal brain cancer Night 1 of the Wrigley shows. Canada lost our beloved Gord Downie last night. Thank you Pearl Jam, for taking note of a nation's breaking hearts on the eve of The Tragically Hip's final concert. We all cried today. We miss Gord already. 

Toronto 1993, Barrie 1998, Toronto 2000, Toronto 2003, Toronto 2005, Kitchener 2005, London 2005, Toronto 2006 I & II, Toronto 2009, Grand Rapids 2006, Nijmegen 2007, EV Body of War Premiere TIFF 2007, New York 2008 MSG I, EV Massey Hall I & II 2008, Seattle I & II 2009, Vancouver 2009, Toronto 2009, Buffalo 2010, Toronto I & II 2011, Hamilton 2011, London 2013, Chicago 2013, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599

Should I watch this and miss 30 minutes of the opening act Red Kross, or go see Red Kross?
    Don't know much about Red Kross but this doc will be around forever...
  • PJNB said:

Don't know much about Red Kross but this doc will be around forever...
    Missed 30 min of Redd Kross, but didn't miss their Kiss Deuce cover atleast.

But missed 10-15 min of the doc to be able to catch the tram to the concert. Will have to catch the doc again next week - to catch the ending and the post-credits scene.

• erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    edited October 2017
    We really enjoyed this. Went to the showing in Durham, NC. Great experience and really enjoyed how it was spliced together between shows and baseball footage. Hoping for the Murphy's Rooftop set as the annual single (ep?!?)...:)
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Going for my second viewing tonight!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,795
    edited October 2017
    Loved it even more the second time I saw. It's really good.

Here's hoping Clinch films a full concert in 2018!
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • bbisonbbison Posts: 213
    edited November 2017
    This film sits squarely at the intersection of two of my passions: PJ and the Cubs. I was at all 3 Wrigley shows. I'm clearly the target audience here. It's a nice keepsake of a glorious year for both, but it feels like a missed opportunity to me. There's complete pro-shot footage of these shows sitting in the digital can somewhere, just begging to be let loose. 

I definitely enjoyed this, but can't see ever owning a copy, unless one shows up under the tree next month. Not something you'd watch multiple times. But put out a mega-deluxe Let's Play Two set with both 2016 shows complete, throw in a few goodies and damn...name your price--here's my credit card--take my money!

Until then, there's the authorized boots and YouTube I guess. 
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    bbison said:
    This film sits squarely at the intersection of two of my passions: PJ and the Cubs. I was at all 3 Wrigley shows. I'm clearly the target audience here. It's a nice keepsake of a glorious year for both, but it feels like a missed opportunity to me. There's complete pro-shot footage of these shows sitting in the digital can somewhere, just begging to be let loose. 

I definitely enjoyed this, but can't see ever owning a copy, unless one shows up under the tree next month. Not something you'd watch multiple times. But put out a mega-deluxe Let's Play Two set with both 2016 shows complete, throw in a few goodies and damn...name your price--here's my credit card--take my money!

I agree. So much footage of two great nights just sitting there not being used.  
  • bbison said:

This is Immagine In Cornice and the excellent italian shows all over again :) 

DAMN YOU CLIIIIIINCH! 

:)