Options

What MP3 Player do you use? Any with high storage?

dmbkcdmbkc Posts: 63
I have the iPod classic with 160GB but it is almost full.  All web searches I do show that as the highest storage (GB) of mo3 players out there.

What do you guys use (for the few non-streamers)?
www.kcsfc.net
10.12.2000 Bonner Springs / 6.12.2003 Bonner Springs / 5.3.2010 Kansas City / 10.3.14 St Louis / 8.20.16 Chicago

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I use my cell phone.  Samsung S7 Edge

I think it is 32 GB and I have a 200 GB SD card in it.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I am not techy so may be a stupid question.  How do you get your music on there?  I use iTnes.  Do you use like Windows Media Player or just a folder on your hard drive of Artists / Albums?
    www.kcsfc.net
    10.12.2000 Bonner Springs / 6.12.2003 Bonner Springs / 5.3.2010 Kansas City / 10.3.14 St Louis / 8.20.16 Chicago
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    I am using a few different options. I also have an iPod with 160GB, not near as full as yours though :) I have also uploaded all of my music to Google Play from my portable HD. I pay for streaming on Google Play and it included the ability to upload 50,000 songs in to their cloud player, which is then accessible from any device with internet or you can store music offline on your device if you will not have service somewhere. I pay $8.99/mo for Google Play plus that gives me access to all streaming music, podcasts, stations and other people's playlists who share them. Works great for me and is fairly cheap to have that much music access anywhere you go. Google Play also links with YouTube for any videos of songs right on their streaming service. I don't use that feature much, but it's nice if you're into that too.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Sony NWZ-A17 Walkman with an extra 256GB MicroSD Card.

I also switched from an iPod because they stopped making them bigger. And now I can have FLAC-HD files on there too.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I am using a few different options. I also have an iPod with 160GB, not near as full as yours though :) I have also uploaded all of my music to Google Play from my portable HD. I pay for streaming on Google Play and it included the ability to upload 50,000 songs in to their cloud player, which is then accessible from any device with internet or you can store music offline on your device if you will not have service somewhere. I pay $8.99/mo for Google Play plus that gives me access to all streaming music, podcasts, stations and other people's playlists who share them. Works great for me and is fairly cheap to have that much music access anywhere you go. Google Play also links with YouTube for any videos of songs right on their streaming service. I don't use that feature much, but it's nice if you're into that too.
    Thanks and I use Google Play too - the free version of like 8k or 9k songs.  I assume when you, "store music offline on your device." and plug into say your car stereo you are NOT using your cell phone data plan.  But if that is the case wouldn't your phone need like 160GB storage or more depending on your library?
    www.kcsfc.net
  • Options
    Sony NWZ-A17 Walkman with an extra 256GB MicroSD Card.

I also switched from an iPod because they stopped making them bigger. And now I can have FLAC-HD files on there too.
    How do you load music on there if you store music on your hard drive (pc)?  From files or folders or do you know if iTunes is an option?  Windows Media Player?  
    www.kcsfc.net
  • Options
    dmbkc said:
    tbergs said:
    Thanks and I use Google Play too - the free version of like 8k or 9k songs.  I assume when you, "store music offline on your device." and plug into say your car stereo you are NOT using your cell phone data plan.  But if that is the case wouldn't your phone need like 160GB storage or more depending on your library?
    Correct. The downside of offline would be needing a large SD card on your phone or pre-selecting which music you wanted offline and then changing it as needed. As mentioned by MayDay, you could use a bigger SD card and then need to transfer all the music files over to it from your computer. You should then be able to select the music from your folder through your phone to play them. May not be as convenient if not synced to Google Play because I don't know how you could easily sort music or make playlists. There's probably some options out there.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited May 2017
    I moved 100% away from horrible, restrictive itunes and apple products years ago.

Basically, using a phone, it is just basic file management.  connect the phone to the cpu and drag and drop any music folders I want.  On the phone, I have PowerAmp.  I have all my music files and metadata meticulously cataloged and stored... so it is very easy to play albums, pull up a query, etc.  Im typically not a playlist guy.  Ill usually listen to albums... and also just play a full shuffle.  PowerAmp can play any music file type that I know of.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Sony has a program called Media Go to sync with the Walkman. Alternatively, you can drag and drop. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I use a first generation Fiio X3.  I only have a 64gb card in it right now.    It's funny.   I think it's sandisk that sells a 200gb microsd card for around 99 cdn.  I bought one one to put in a nanousb drive for my truck stereo.    Never occurred to me to buy one for my x3.   I should get on that.

In my truck stereo I think I've got 360 flac albums with 30gb to spare.   It's quite alot.  Not sure I need more than that for the vehicle or my portable player.

When I was researching the biggest microsd cards, I think I saw a Samsung 256gb out there.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    my iPhone with 256GB.

I have a 160GB classic, but its kinda pointless at this point. Both our cars have bluetooth. I use Sonos around the house. No real reason to use it. I just keep it to remind me of a simpler time.

• Options
    I have a SanDisk 256GB. Before that was the 200 and before that was the 128, when I first got my Walkman.

The 256 is great if you can afford it. The spec goes up to 2TB, which should be PLENTY of space for anyone if it ever gets there.
  • Options
    Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    Still rockin' to the Pono player, now with a 256 gb micro sd card.  Sounds amazing in balanced mode w/Sennheiser 650's headphones.  I recommend finding a player with an expandable memory card option, so you have unlimited space for music files.  If you can wait (or time it just right), prices will drop on the 256gb micro sd cards.
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Besides my iPods, I have a couple of 1TB external drives hooked up to my PC with all my music on them. I bought a Yamaha Bluetooth receiver and I can now access all the music files on my PC through it.

I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    my iPhone with 256GB.

I have a 160GB classic, but its kinda pointless at this point. Both our cars have bluetooth. I use Sonos around the house. No real reason to use it. I just keep it to remind me of a simpler time.

'Love the Sonos speakers ..... I use Google Play Music with mine and a turn table connected to my Play 5.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    Anybody know what the deal is with the new in box ipod classics on ebay?  Are these bootlegs from China or what?  Seems like there are way too many brand new 160gb ipods on ebay for a product that was supposed to have been discontinued by Apple.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited May 2017
    I use Sony mp3 players, always have. They do make higher storage high rez ones, but for me the non-high rez 16GB is plenty (and that was super cheap). It forces me to curate what's on it once in a while, which is what I want. Anyway, I like the Sony mp3 players because they are very small and super lightweight and have a very simple interface, and have drag and drop file transfer for PC and Mac. Their high rez players have a wide range of storage capabilities and prices. Lots of options for all price points.
    I could absolutely use my phone for music (Samsung galaxy S7 edge), but I like my music player to be tiny and my phone to be big, lol. I will always stick with actual mp3 players. And I don't do Apple. Not compatible enough, and I hate itunes.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    dmbkc said:
    MayDay10 said:

I am not techy so may be a stupid question.  How do you get your music on there?  I use iTnes.  Do you use like Windows Media Player or just a folder on your hard drive of Artists / Albums?
    copy and paste
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    iPhone with Spotify and Apple Music. No need to store or move files anymore. Don't miss those days at all. Unlimited data is pretty much de-facto over here in all mobile subscriptions.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    edited May 2017
    dmbkc said:
    MayDay10 said:

For every Android-phone I've had, I just dragged and dropped them from my HDD to the the music folder. Quick and easy. 

I'm now stuck with a lousy iphone with the itunes bullshit. i don't even know how I got something on there with the syncing and whatever... so I all I have is the Jazz fest show from 2016. 

Should buy and android instead. But hard finding one thats not a million inches big. 4 inches is all I want.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    dmbkc said:
    MayDay10 said:

For every Android-phone I've had, I just dragged and dropped them from my HDD to the the music folder. Quick and easy. 

I'm now stuck with a lousy iphone with the itunes bullshit. i don't even know how I got something on there with the syncing and whatever... so I all I have is the Jazz fest show from 2016. 

Should buy and android instead. But hard finding one thats not a million inches big. 4 inches is all I want.
    Bought an iPod once.  Will never make the mistake of Apple again.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    edited May 2017
    Has anyone encountered an Android phone that has a high quality DAC in it?   The problem with iPhones, Ipods, and Android phones is they all have mediocre DAC's in them.    It would be incredibly awesome if there was a phone out there that used a high quality DAC and a microSD slot so you could add a craptonne of extra memory.     Last year LG put the G5 out, that was modular and was supposed to come with the ability to upgrade the DAC, but they never released that upgrade in North America and the idea of a modular phone kind of fizzled out.

I don't really like carrying two devices on me, but smartphones/iphones aren't really focused on the audio.  I love the poweramp app for Android.  I like being able to plug in my phone like it's a USB flash drive and simply copy over the files.    All I need is an Android phone with a high quality DAC :)   Then I wouldn't need to use my x3 anymore.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    I really like my Zune 120gb, but they are not in production anymore. I'd like to get a second cheaper MP3 player, but every time I think I've found one at a decent price, I read more reviews and get to the real truth about them. That's one good thing about Amazon, once you get through the BS reviews you can actually kinda make an informed purchase. Still researching.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    I really like my Zune 120gb, but they are not in production anymore. I'd like to get a second cheaper MP3 player, but every time I think I've found one at a decent price, I read more reviews and get to the real truth about them. That's one good thing about Amazon, once you get through the BS reviews you can actually kinda make an informed purchase. Still researching.
    I order a ton of stuff of Amazon but sometimes I go crazy reading the reviews.  It's annoying when someone rates a product one star because it didn't include batteries or some other dumb accessory that it was never advertised to include.  But I do find that I can get most of my questions about an item answered if I read enough reviews. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited May 2017
    mrk2 said:
    iPhone with Spotify and Apple Music. No need to store or move files anymore. Don't miss those days at all. Unlimited data is pretty much de-facto over here in all mobile subscriptions.
    I understand this mindset, but the thing about streaming services is that that library is NOT yours. I also use and love Spotify, but I have no real control of any of my library in it. Spotify could go away someday, someone could hack it, artists could withdraw their music from it, who knows, and you're left with nothing. So, while I still use the paid service, and it's awesome, I am also much more comfortable with ALSO maintaining my own music library, where I actually control the files and they are mine forever. Of course, doing this is somewhat more time consuming, so I suppose someone has to feel kind of invested in their digital music to do both.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    edited May 2017
    Android phone with a gigantic microSD is the way to go.

And Poweramp is a great music app. Folder browsing (if you like), gapless playback, OGG, FLAC, etc. I find with a hojillion bootlegs, library browsing becomes messy quick.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Has anyone encountered an Android phone that has a high quality DAC in it?   The problem with iPhones, Ipods, and Android phones is they all have mediocre DAC's in them.    It would be incredibly awesome if there was a phone out there that used a high quality DAC and a microSD slot so you could add a craptonne of extra memory.     Last year LG put the G5 out, that was modular and was supposed to come with the ability to upgrade the DAC, but they never released that upgrade in North America and the idea of a modular phone kind of fizzled out.

I don't really like carrying two devices on me, but smartphones/iphones aren't really focused on the audio.  I love the poweramp app for Android.  I like being able to plug in my phone like it's a USB flash drive and simply copy over the files.    All I need is an Android phone with a high quality DAC :)   Then I wouldn't need to use my x3 anymore.
    I don't own one yet, but I'm looking in to the LG V20. It has a 32 bit quad DAC built in. Seems to get good reviews. A minor downside is that the DAC only kicks in with headphones, so if you're using AUX cables or bluetooth you won't get the full quality.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Can really post anything in the porch.

Fiio are the most accessible and affordable DACs at the moment. I've had a few and currently run Fiio X3 ii. You can put a 256gb Micro SD card in there or the Fiio X5 has slots for 2x micro sd cards.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Zod said:

I don't own one yet, but I'm looking in to the LG V20. It has a 32 bit quad DAC built in. Seems to get good reviews. A minor downside is that the DAC only kicks in with headphones, so if you're using AUX cables or bluetooth you won't get the full quality.
    I've read that HTC has pretty good DACs compared to other Android brands.
  • Options
    Brisk. said:
    Can really post anything in the porch.

Fiio are the most accessible and affordable DACs at the moment. I've had a few and currently run Fiio X3 ii. You can put a 256gb Micro SD card in there or the Fiio X5 has slots for 2x micro sd cards.
    Thanks for the info... very helpful.