Options

What MP3 Player do you use? Any with high storage?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,284
    tbergs said:
    Zod said:
    Has anyone encountered an Android phone that has a high quality DAC in it?   The problem with iPhones, Ipods, and Android phones is they all have mediocre DAC's in them.    It would be incredibly awesome if there was a phone out there that used a high quality DAC and a microSD slot so you could add a craptonne of extra memory.     Last year LG put the G5 out, that was modular and was supposed to come with the ability to upgrade the DAC, but they never released that upgrade in North America and the idea of a modular phone kind of fizzled out.

I don't really like carrying two devices on me, but smartphones/iphones aren't really focused on the audio.  I love the poweramp app for Android.  I like being able to plug in my phone like it's a USB flash drive and simply copy over the files.    All I need is an Android phone with a high quality DAC :)   Then I wouldn't need to use my x3 anymore.
    I don't own one yet, but I'm looking in to the LG V20. It has a 32 bit quad DAC built in. Seems to get good reviews. A minor downside is that the DAC only kicks in with headphones, so if you're using AUX cables or bluetooth you won't get the full quality.
    That would work quite well for me.   I really only use IEM's when I listed to a portable player.   My truck stereo has it's own usb port, home stereo is connected to the network through a set top media box.   I have a small bluetooth speaker I use occasionally but it's not good enough to warrant an awesome DAC.

I'll have to check that phone out.  Unfortunately my s5 keeps going strong :(  
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrk2 said:
    iPhone with Spotify and Apple Music. No need to store or move files anymore. Don't miss those days at all. Unlimited data is pretty much de-facto over here in all mobile subscriptions.
    I understand this mindset, but the thing about streaming services is that that library is NOT yours. I also use and love Spotify, but I have no real control of any of my library in it. Spotify could go away someday, someone could hack it, artists could withdraw their music from it, who knows, and you're left with nothing. So, while I still use the paid service, and it's awesome, I am also much more comfortable with ALSO maintaining my own music library, where I actually control the files and they are mine forever. Of course, doing this is somewhat more time consuming, so I suppose someone has to feel kind of invested in their digital music to do both.
    Streaming's not going away anytime soon. It's the answer to record company concerns about piracy, for the exact reasons you list.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    I've had iTunes Match for quite some time and I think the feature is now built-in to Apple Music itself. I have uploaded dozens of bootlegs and live shows and they are now accessible to me wherever I am. I also keep "my" library on the side, but the ease of discovering new things via streaming is so appealing.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    Hows the audio quality with the Sony Z5 compact?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I have an ipod classic that's 120GB and it's getting closer to full. I don't usually put on the huge file size stuff. I use it in the car connected through a cassette adaptor into my factory tape player. I'm old school.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    my 160gb ipod died and i switched to apple music.  i thought i'd hate it but i've had no issues.  i can try music without buying (or stealing) it and i love that it kept all my playlists.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrk2 said:
    iPhone with Spotify and Apple Music. No need to store or move files anymore. Don't miss those days at all. Unlimited data is pretty much de-facto over here in all mobile subscriptions.
    I understand this mindset, but the thing about streaming services is that that library is NOT yours. I also use and love Spotify, but I have no real control of any of my library in it. Spotify could go away someday, someone could hack it, artists could withdraw their music from it, who knows, and you're left with nothing. So, while I still use the paid service, and it's awesome, I am also much more comfortable with ALSO maintaining my own music library, where I actually control the files and they are mine forever. Of course, doing this is somewhat more time consuming, so I suppose someone has to feel kind of invested in their digital music to do both.
    Streaming's not going away anytime soon. It's the answer to record company concerns about piracy, for the exact reasons you list.
    I don't think streaming is going away. I said Spotify in particular could (or not), or any other specific service could. Who knows. In any case, the lack of ownership doesn't sit particularly well with me, which is why I double up. And I don't think the music industry has a specific desire to prevent people from buying music directly. On the contrary. Vinyl is becoming their second biggest money maker, because streaming services don't earn them enough.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    My biggest complaints about streaming is the audio quality and fee's.

I spent the last 10 years ripping my cd collection to flac which means for zero cost I have a fairly extensive digital archive of all the music I like at CD quality.   I don't really need to pay a monthly fee to a streaming service or to satellite radio.   Give how small storage devices have gotten and how much space they have, it's really easy to have several hundred albums in FLAC at your fingertips.

I fully realize I'm in the minority though.   I imagine the majority of people are perfectly happy with streaming.   Just like the majority is pretty happy with netflix (and I still buy bluray's).    The same masses who don't really care about mp3 vs. flac :)
  • Options
    Zod said:

I spent the last 10 years ripping my cd collection to flac which means for zero cost I have a fairly extensive digital archive of all the music I like at CD quality.   I don't really need to pay a monthly fee to a streaming service or to satellite radio.   Give how small storage devices have gotten and how much space they have, it's really easy to have several hundred albums in FLAC at your fingertips.

I fully realize I'm in the minority though.   I imagine the majority of people are perfectly happy with streaming.   Just like the majority is pretty happy with netflix (and I still buy bluray's).    The same masses who don't really care about mp3 vs. flac :)
    For me, Spotify isn't about just having a music library though. It provides me with a FAR superior way to DISCOVER music, and to share it. That is what I pay $10 a month for. Not the song library itself.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,463
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

For me, Spotify isn't about just having a music library though. It provides me with a FAR superior way to DISCOVER music, and to share it. That is what I pay $10 a month for. Not the song library itself.
    That's probably my favorite feature of Spotify... the music playlist they put together for you based on your listening habits.  found tons of good stuff by listening to that.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,251
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Ditto for me and Google Play. I have bought all the music I know I love, but without access to everything I don't own, it's hard to discover new artists I didn't know I love. Plus, if someone mentions a band on here I can just hop on my phone and stream them to see if they're my jam. Priceless.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Ditto for me and Google Play. I have bought all the music I know I love, but without access to everything I don't own, it's hard to discover new artists I didn't know I love. Plus, if someone mentions a band on here I can just hop on my phone and stream them to see if they're my jam. Priceless.
    For sure. Yes, this can be done with youtube for free, but that method is not nearly as comprehensive or user friendly, and it doesn't curate it all anywhere near as well. I agree, the Spotify curation/recommendations features are priceless! It's the best $10 I spend each month, without a doubt.
  • Options
    Those are solid arguments... maybe I should try it :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Zod said:
    Those are solid arguments... maybe I should try it :)
    You should. ;) I must say, my vinyl purchases have definitely been helped by the service. I have been able to refine and improve my vinyl buying decisions way better with the help of Spotify, and now own plenty of amazing albums that I wouldn't have bought otherwise because I never would have heard of them.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,360
    I'm using an iPod classic, which I modified and put a 1TB mSATA SSD in. It runs like a champ and holds more music than I can put on it. Still hate itunes... 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrk2 said:
    I don't think streaming is going away. I said Spotify in particular could (or not), or any other specific service could. Who knows. In any case, the lack of ownership doesn't sit particularly well with me, which is why I double up. And I don't think the music industry has a specific desire to prevent people from buying music directly. On the contrary. Vinyl is becoming their second biggest money maker, because streaming services don't earn them enough.
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the music industry eventually goes away from all physical releases of music.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrk2 said:
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the music industry eventually goes away from all physical releases of music.
    I would be completely shocked. As long as they can make any money off of it, they will keep doing it, and their earnings are going up again in this context, not down. There will always be people who buy physical formats.
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    Travelar said:
    I'm using an iPod classic, which I modified and put a 1TB mSATA SSD in. It runs like a champ and holds more music than I can put on it. Still hate itunes... 
    Nice! Was it easy to do or do you need to have some level of expertise in order to pull it off without damaging your iPod?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,962
    dmbkc said:
    I have the iPod classic with 160GB but it is almost full.  All web searches I do show that as the highest storage (GB) of mo3 players out there.

What do you guys use (for the few non-streamers)?
    i had a 160 gb ipod as well.  Unfortunately mine died about 6 months ago.  Went to the apple store to see if they could repair it or get a new one but I wasn't aware that they stopped making them.  So i was disappointed. Had an iphone 4 which was about ready to die and it eventually did so i just got an iphone 6s.  should have probably gone with a 64 or 128 one though.  i got the 32.  works fine though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    dmbkc said:
    I have the iPod classic with 160GB but it is almost full.  All web searches I do show that as the highest storage (GB) of mo3 players out there.

What do you guys use (for the few non-streamers)?
    i had a 160 gb ipod as well.  Unfortunately mine died about 6 months ago.  Went to the apple store to see if they could repair it or get a new one but I wasn't aware that they stopped making them.  So i was disappointed. Had an iphone 4 which was about ready to die and it eventually did so i just got an iphone 6s.  should have probably gone with a 64 or 128 one though.  i got the 32.  works fine though.

Same thing happened to me about a year ago with my ipod.  Was bummed that they stopped making the classic.  But now I have the 256GB iphone....it is pretty nice to not be carrying around my iphone and ipod all the time now.  And so much easier to play music in my car via bluetooth.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrk2 said:
    I would be completely shocked. As long as they can make any money off of it, they will keep doing it, and their earnings are going up again in this context, not down. There will always be people who buy physical formats.
    It has already happened in the software and (for the most part) movie/tv industries.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    BF89905 said:
    my iPhone with 256GB.

I have a 160GB classic, but its kinda pointless at this point. Both our cars have bluetooth. I use Sonos around the house. No real reason to use it. I just keep it to remind me of a simpler time.

'Love the Sonos speakers ..... I use Google Play Music with mine and a turn table connected to my Play 5.
    I keep hearing about Sonos.  Are they expensive?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan said:
    BF89905 said:
    my iPhone with 256GB.

I have a 160GB classic, but its kinda pointless at this point. Both our cars have bluetooth. I use Sonos around the house. No real reason to use it. I just keep it to remind me of a simpler time.

'Love the Sonos speakers ..... I use Google Play Music with mine and a turn table connected to my Play 5.
    I keep hearing about Sonos.  Are they expensive?
    Listening to mine out on the back patio right now. They are fantastic! I have 5 running throughout the house (4 of the Play 1's and 1 of the  Play 3's. They run $199 and $299, respectively. 

My my wife even love's them. We have certain ones set to play certain things at certain times (ex: Sunday mornings, the kitchen Speaker kicks on to XRT Chicago Breakfast with the Beatles). They are what we run most of the music thru the house. I save my stereo system set up for my vinyl collect and movie nights. Red of the time it's thru a Sonos.