Options

Shook hands with Eddie this evening

Comments

• Options
    lbpeltzlbpeltz Posts: 98
    I had a similar experience. My buddy invited me to the game on Monday, first sox game in 12 years. I was looking around after the Bryan first inning homer, and there was ed ved, 7 rows in front of me. That was nuts.

I pulled aside the beer man and bought him a brew, he turned around, looked bavk and said thanks (Good time to be wearing my Fenway PJ hat). When he vame back from taking a leak, he patted me on the shoulder. Those were some cool moments.

As an aside, He is flocked to everywhere he goes. His personal space is evicerated. People are really demanding of him. Would I have loved a picture with him? Sure, that woulda been awesome, but I wasn't about to forcefully pull him aside. I now understand why at the end of shows he'll say "see ya next year." It's what he says to hold the crazies off. I think that just how he's able to make his way through a crowd. The guy tried to take a damn leak and 8 people stood in front of him and asked for a picture on his way up the stairs. He just says "I'll be back." "I'm not going anywhere." Have some respect, the guy just wants to piss and get back to his seat for the next inning.

That was a really cool time OP, glad you had a blast too. Congrats.
  • Options

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931

Really cool! I've been at Wrigley the same time he has probably over a dozen times, and I'm yet to be as lucky!

Me too. Maybe some day!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    sounds like a candidate for 'best day ever'.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    lbpeltz said:

I had a similar experience. My buddy invited me to the game on Monday, first sox game in 12 years. I was looking around after the Bryan first inning homer, and there was ed ved, 7 rows in front of me. That was nuts.

I pulled aside the beer man and bought him a brew, he turned around, looked bavk and said thanks (Good time to be wearing my Fenway PJ hat). When he vame back from taking a leak, he patted me on the shoulder. Those were some cool moments.

As an aside, He is flocked to everywhere he goes. His personal space is evicerated. People are really demanding of him. Would I have loved a picture with him? Sure, that woulda been awesome, but I wasn't about to forcefully pull him aside. I now understand why at the end of shows he'll say "see ya next year." It's what he says to hold the crazies off. I think that just how he's able to make his way through a crowd. The guy tried to take a damn leak and 8 people stood in front of him and asked for a picture on his way up the stairs. He just says "I'll be back." "I'm not going anywhere." Have some respect, the guy just wants to piss and get back to his seat for the next inning.

That was a really cool time OP, glad you had a blast too. Congrats.

he's probably used to it now, but no wonder he was such a recluse in the 90's.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    Very cool
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767

Really cool! I've been at Wrigley the same time he has probably over a dozen times, and I'm yet to be as lucky!

He waved at a few of us as he walked into his skybox there once.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    How cool. Poor guy.. makes you wonder if the poor guy has ever just had to be like.. "'dude.. I gotta piss.. just let me go piss.." I can imagine that that is just unnerving to say the least.
    But he handles it with class.. cool stories folks!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    @morgie2 - GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!!! :rock_on:

My mouth is still dropped open and I'm just imagining - wow. To just be in the same building with them when I'm blessed to attend a show I just try to soak it in. And of course I think I'm so special and like the only fan there HA! I try so hard to remember and enjoy and just hear the music I often forget what's even played. I do wish I had the ability to record in my brain. Anyways this thread is about you and I'm just an idiot!

So happy you met Ed and just perfect to be there with your dad. Just too cool to meet any of the band! :rock_on:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    Sounds like a truly great day that you will remember for years to come, with a smile on your face! :smiley:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    WhaleyWhaley Netherlands Posts: 24
    Very nice! Sounds like it was a good moment for Ed and a great moment for you :)
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a nice encounter all around. Love the Elvis bit!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    These two stories above are just about the best way u can meet PJ members. Another guy had a great story about meeting Jeff in a coffeehouse in MT once.

In 98 i let Ed enjoy the first opening band during a PJ show. He sat down in the seats icognito directly right in front of me. Wanted to shake the guys hand but he was enjoying his anonymity of being at a show. Oh well.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    awesome you got to experience it with someone so close to you!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Cool story, both about you helping your dad and meeting Ed. Thanks for sharing. Cool that Ed appreciates his fans- good guy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Hell yeah!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Love that your dad gets it - gets you.

I also love that, sometimes, those we admire are actually good and gracious people (famous or not :) ).
  • Options
    Last two. My buddies sent me these today so I gotta post. I went full out fanboy. Even in a pic with ed, the pj hats still sit all high on your head. Like the hat got a damn erection. They should honestly call them erection style hats. Anyone know how to fix this so it don't look like I got a head boner?

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    lbpeltz said:

Last two. My buddies sent me these today so I gotta post. I went full out fanboy. Even in a pic with ed, the pj hats still sit all high on your head. Like the hat got a damn erection. They should honestly call them erection style hats. Anyone know how to fix this so it don't look like I got a head boner?

Those are great!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    ^^^^^^^^^^ Awesome photos!!!! =)
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,937
    Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Im thrilled for you. Father son at the ball game always special. Your story is fantastic
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    Sprunkn7 said:

lbpeltz said:

Those are great!!
    i think its a bit creepy to be honest but his friend has great timing with the camera
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Sprunkn7 said:

lbpeltz said:

Those are great!!
    i think its a bit creepy to be honest but his friend has great timing with the camera
    Hahaa. 100% creepy man. I admit it though. I went hardcore fanboy. Couldn't help myself.
  • Options
    BN260353BN260353 Posts: 28
    Not long at all. Quite a pleasure to read and quite amazing for you!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited May 2017
    I actually didnt think it was creepy. Just an excited fan.

"Creepy" is at Ed solo shows during or after the show when middle aged men and women try to out-cool eachother when talking to Ed mentioning known references hes made in interviews. You can tell he's like WTF and says "ohh yeah yeah". Just talk to the guy and say whats up.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    morgie2 said:

Hello all. Tonight was quite an unexpected but awesome nite. Went to the Red Sox / Cubs game at Fenway tonight with my 78 year old dad. Perfect weather, great seats on the 3rd base line with my hero. Sox win a close, good game. Dad has an equilibrium issue, so I have to let him lean on me when he walks. No big deal but it is a slow process. So, after the game I suggest we let the crowd thin out before we move. So we're sitting with our backs to the field on the wall, people watching, and I catch out of the corner of my eye a few people walking along the warning track down the third base side. I turn to look and I see Eddie walking in the middle of them. Some people are shouting hello to him, but it hasn't really sunk in to me it's Eddie walking by. When it does, I chirp out "hey Ed", and he turns slightly, leans back, and kinda smiles quizzically. I then remember I'm wearing my "Pearl Jam Seattle Washington" hoodie. So I stick out my hand and he actually doubles back a bit (he had walked a bit by where I was) and he shook my hand. I'm not a hero worshipper, but I gotta tell you I was pretty pleased. Best part, my dad, who knows how much I love this band, looked as pleased as me. He says, "that would be like me meeting Elvis". Like I said, it was an awesome night...sorry post was so long.

awesome
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

"Creepy" is at Ed solo shows during or after the show when middle aged men and women try to out-cool eachother when talking to Ed mentioning known references hes made in interviews. You can tell he's like WTF and says "ohh yeah yeah". Just talk to the guy and say whats up.

And dudes in their 40's who can't resist the urge to yell "Love you, Eddie!" at any given time.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244

And dudes in their 40's who can't resist the urge to yell "Love you, Eddie!" at any given time.
    I usually just yell that in my car when listening to bootlegs :) Less awkward, unless I'm stopped with my windows down ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,457
    tbergs said:

I usually just yell that in my car when listening to bootlegs :) Less awkward, unless I'm stopped with my windows down ;)
    So that was you, huh?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.