Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Binaural Round 1

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited April 2017
    Evacuation

PJ_Soul said:

I got God's Dice as the 8th song of the show (between Why Go and Lightning Bolt during their first rocking segment, which started with Corduroy into Breakerfall). It was actually pretty awesome. I was stoked to see it and it fit in the setlist nicely (They also played Can't Keep right after an Oceans opener, which was amazing, plus Soon Forget to start the first encore. It was a Binaural kind of night, and I was so happy about that).

Wow. Where was that? Might have to check out the bootleg. In 4 shows, I've only heard Thin Air from Binaural. I figure that can only improve. Hoping for a Binaural kind of night the next time they play Alpine Valley East Troy, WI (shameless plug).
    It was Vancouver 2013, and it is a GREAT boot (and the best PJ show I've attended). PM me your email and I can share it with you via OneDrive if you want. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Of The Girl
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I got God's Dice as the 8th song of the show (between Why Go and Lightning Bolt during their first rocking segment, which started with Corduroy into Breakerfall). It was actually pretty awesome. I was stoked to see it and it fit in the setlist nicely (They also played Can't Keep right after an Oceans opener, which was amazing, plus Soon Forget to start the first encore. It was a Binaural kind of night, and I was so happy about that).

Wow. Where was that? Might have to check out the bootleg. In 4 shows, I've only heard Thin Air from Binaural. I figure that can only improve. Hoping for a Binaural kind of night the next time they play Alpine Valley East Troy, WI (shameless plug).
    It was Vancouver 2013, and it is a GREAT boot (and the best PJ shows I've attended). PM me your email and I can share it with you via OneDrive if you want. :)
    I have the BTN bluray, great show!!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Soon Forget
    KP278376 said:

This is looking waaay forward, but will there be a champions round when all the champions go head to head? Talk about a tough vote...

I believe that's the plan.

You're are right. It'll be very tough from the get go (well, maybe after the BS and LB songs are quickly eliminated.)
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,957
    Rival
    If Lost Dogs has a round, what about a best of the rest round? Could include Breath, Long Road, I Got Shit, SOLAT, Man of the Hour, Angel, Ole, Just a Girl etc.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Soon Forget
    tino_11 said:

If Lost Dogs has a round, what about a best of the rest round? Could include Breath, Long Road, I Got Shit, SOLAT, Man of the Hour, Angel, Ole, Just a Girl etc.

I'm having a great time playing these threads and am not looking forward to the time when it's all over. However, I'm not sure if the Lost Dogs and extra tracks (as listed above) should have their own competition as we are discussing the weakest link.. Aside from the all being great tunes, the only way they are connected is that they are NOT on any official (non-compilation) albums.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Evacuation

This is a hard record to remove tracks from.

But I have a hard time getting into Rival. So that one. Gods Dice is weirdly weak to. What is that song. Who wants it? Who craves Gods Dice? Wheres the chorus?

Folks who are big on lyrics! God's Dice has some killer lines in it, blows much of the album out of the water lyrically. Binaural is a lyric driven album for me and my wife, so many gems of lines and themes.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Evacuation
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It was Vancouver 2013, and it is a GREAT boot (and the best PJ show I've attended). PM me your email and I can share it with you via OneDrive if you want. :)
    Yes, Vancouver '13 was a fantastic show.

Whoanelly, I assume you have the boot for the Toronto 1 show last spring? Where Binaural was played in its entirety?

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited April 2017
    Evacuation

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Whoanelly, I assume you have the boot for the Toronto 1 show last spring? Where Binaural was played in its entirety?

The Toronto / Binaural show was INCREDIBLE...
    had so much fun at all 3 of my shows in Canada last year,
    but this show was my favorite!!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Soon Forget
    rgambs said:

This is a hard record to remove tracks from.

But I have a hard time getting into Rival. So that one. Gods Dice is weirdly weak to. What is that song. Who wants it? Who craves Gods Dice? Wheres the chorus?

Folks who are big on lyrics! God's Dice has some killer lines in it, blows much of the album out of the water lyrically. Binaural is a lyric driven album for me and my wife, so many gems of lines and themes.
    Absolfrigginlutely! Every song has a standout lyric.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Evacuation

I do. Would've loved to have been there for that one. I love that this is all giving me a reason to give it another listen. Hail Hail the lucky ones in the house that night
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Evacuation
    Feel obligated to mention after hearing it recently and with all the Evacuation votes out there now... really good live version of it on the Mansfield 2000 bootleg.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Soon Forget
    But there's nothing weak about this album. F'n masterpiece.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Evacuation

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Unreal show.

I swear Ed wanted to keep going as well as they dragged him off the stage after 3 1/2 hours.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Evacuation

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Unreal show.

I swear Ed wanted to keep going as well as they dragged him off the stage after 3 1/2 hours.
    Not sure whether you mean Vancouver or TO was unreal, but I'd agree with you on either. For me, TO2 was better than TO1, because it was my first time in GA and I had an absolute blast.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Evacuation

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Unreal show.

Not sure whether you mean Vancouver or TO was unreal, but I'd agree with you on either. For me, TO2 was better than TO1, because it was my first time in GA and I had an absolute blast.
    Vancouver.

And same... 1st time for GA for PJ at the Van show.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    I can't do it, I can't pick one. It feels like choosing a puppy to kill, so I might have to abstain from this album poll. Ahhhhhh this hurts...I can't even pick out my top 2 fav songs. The closest I get is a five way tie which changes depending on my mood.
    Breakerfall, Light Years, Thin Air, Of the Girl, Rival and Parting Ways....shit that's six and it hurt to leave Soon Forget off that list. This is impossible!

All voting for Rival, for shame! No Slight of Hand shouldn't be in the final two and if you're looking for a great Of the Girl check out Quebec '16. They opened with it and it was magical.

Vancouver '13 was an unreal show as was TO1 '16(my birthday, my fav album and all at the rail :heart: )

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Evacuation

I can't do it, I can't pick one. It feels like choosing a puppy to kill, so I might have to abstain from this album poll. Ahhhhhh this hurts...I can't even pick out my top 2 fav songs. The closest I get is a five way tie which changes depending on my mood.
    Breakerfall, Light Years, Thin Air, Of the Girl, Rival and Parting Ways....shit that's six and it hurt to leave Soon Forget off that list. This is impossible!

All voting for Rival, for shame! No Slight of Hand shouldn't be in the final two and if you're looking for a great Of the Girl check out Quebec '16. They opened with it and it was magical.

Vancouver '13 was an unreal show as was TO1 '16(my birthday, my fav album and all at the rail :heart: )

You forgot to mention the tiara!! :wink:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Breakerfall
    mcgruff10 said:

Evacuation is top three weakest links in their catalog.
    Gtf with the win, can't argue that one.

It always amazes me how different the taste of PJ fans can be. I really don't care much for GTF and think Evacuation is a great song. You can tell Matt's influence immediately....similar to In the Moonlight
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Evacuation

mcgruff10 said:

It always amazes me how different the taste of PJ fans can be. I really don't care much for GTF and think Evacuation is a great song. You can tell Matt's influence immediately....similar to In the Moonlight
    In the moonlight is another one I don't like. I m just not a big fan of Matt s writing.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    KP278376KP278376 Posts: 42
    Evacuation

mcgruff10 said:

It always amazes me how different the taste of PJ fans can be.
    I was thinking this while reading the comments on this board... I don't love this album and it is crazy (and cool) to see how many people absolutely love it. How I was feeling while doing the No Code vote....
  • Options
    Breakerfall
    KP278376 said:

mcgruff10 said:

It always amazes me how different the taste of PJ fans can be.
    I was thinking this while reading the comments on this board... I don't love this album and it is crazy (and cool) to see how many people absolutely love it. How I was feeling while doing the No Code vote....
    Yeah Binaural is one of my favorites.

Yield is the top for me. I didn't care for Binaural when it came out....didn't care for Riot Act when it came out....now both of those albums are near the top for me.

The first PJ album I ever bought was Vitalogy. I never really listed to much off of Ten or Vs until I became a superfan.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Breakerfall
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

In the moonlight is another one I don't like. I m just not a big fan of Matt s writing.
    I put Cropduster (odd time sig from Matt) up there with I got Shit and Corduroy as some of my favorites

• Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Evacuation
    easy for me
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Soon Forget

mcgruff10 said:

ITM is an awesome song - love Matt Cameron's writing. Would have been interesting to do these polls with the B-Sides add in with album tracks.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Soon Forget
    Is round 2 up yet? I don't see it.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Soon Forget
    Love what Wikipedia says about original track listing:

When the track listing for Binaural was first released in late March 2000, it was quite different from the final version.[52] Some tracks that were originally on the album were dropped and not released until the 2003 rarities compilation, Lost Dogs,[44] and "Gods' Dice" was added to the final version. The original version is as follows:

"Breakerfall"
    "Insignificance"
    "Evacuation"
    "Letter to the Dead"
    Later renamed to "Sad"
    "Rival"
    "Grievance"
    "Light Years"
    "Of the Girl"
    "Thin Air"
    "Nothing as It Seems"
    "Fatal"
    "Sleight of Hand"
    "Soon Forget"
    "In the Moonlight"
    "Parting Ways"
    "Education"
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Grievance
    I'll just say it now. Light Years is the winner. Favorite song though is Sleight Of Hand.
  • Options
    Soon Forget
    joseph33 said:

I'll just say it now. Light Years is the winner. Favorite song though is Sleight Of Hand.

I think it will be Insignificance, but Gods' Dice is my fav.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Gods' Dice
    tbergs said:

Not a fan of Matt penned tunes

So you don't like Inside Job either? That is an awesome song.
    Inside Job is a Mike tune. And bad.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Evacuation

tbergs said:

Not a fan of Matt penned tunes

So you don't like Inside Job either? That is an awesome song.
    Inside Job is a Mike tune. And bad.
    Oh come on...Bad???
    You can't seriously think that's a bad song.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
This discussion has been closed.