Options

Next album is going to be epic!

13»

Comments

• Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    The creative arc always has a slope to it, and it seems the more of a catalog they have the tougher we measure their albums. Take BS and measure it against the tomes of trash out there on the top 40, and it definitely receives an A. We PJ fans are some of the most critical (like Montreal hockey fans) but that is only evidence of how great PJ is musically and lyrically.

I know the next album won't be Epic or a Masterpiece by any stretch but it will be heaps better than 'Lemonade' or '25'!

Disclaimer: I watched the Grammys last night with my daughter. After 15 mins, I remembered why I stopped watching award shows. Had to pour a cyanide&gin cocktail.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,945
    Jbarker said:

but it will be heaps better than 'Lemonade' or '25'!

Ok. Lets not say anything crazy here.

• Options
    Yeah. Lemonade and 25 are damn fine albums. Nothing wrong with those two.

I will say, aside from Metallica, there was a blinding lack of bands last night. I know 21 Pilots got an award but I think they're garbage.
  • Options
    I'd love for PJ to make an album as progressive and focused with an assured vision, like Lemonade.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,479
    IMO....Lightning Bolt is the best album since Yield. So, its all personal taste. Those in between are all great too. I think Backspacer is probably the weakest of that bunch.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,479
    Oh, forgot....yes, they have been REALLY quiet lately...i hope thats good news.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Vedd Hedd said:

Oh, forgot....yes, they have been REALLY quiet lately...i hope thats good news.

It's always crickets when it comes to these things.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244

I will say, aside from Metallica, there was a blinding lack of bands last night. I know 21 Pilots got an award but I think they're garbage.

And they sabotaged Hetfield's mic! ;) Agree on 21 Pilots. I tried, but I just can't stand their music. Good news is that we should only be a few years away from the next rock music revolution. Seems like about every 30 years there's a shift. We had to get through the 70's and 80's to experience the 90's. There are always a few great bands intermixed during that span, but it seems pretty sparse these days in the rock landscape.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

I'd love for PJ to make an album as progressive and focused with an assured vision, like Lemonade.

Absolutely. I've listened to Lemonade about 50x. I've listened to Lightning Bolt twice at the most. A new producer would be nice; I've always like Steve Albini's touch. And I don't care if they sing about politics or nachos and guac, as long as it's something they're passionate about. As long as it's creative, innovative and it rocks. Allegedly "Go" is about Ed's pickup truck, so the topic doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Red Hot Chili Peppers have a great new album
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I'm a big advocate of them just banging out an album in the studio. Chris Woodhouse did a killer job on Carrie Brownstein/Janet Weiss SK side project Wild Flag as well as most of Thee Oh Sees albums. He Gets a great production while maintaining a nice raw sound. Plus he's in LA where PJ seems to do a bunch of recording. Could be a neat approach to capture their live sound and energy. If they had the songs written, they could just bash it out in a couple of weeks and then surprise drop that shit.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Jbarker said:

The creative arc always has a slope to it, and it seems the more of a catalog they have the tougher we measure their albums. Take BS and measure it against the tomes of trash out there on the top 40, and it definitely receives an A. We PJ fans are some of the most critical (like Montreal hockey fans) but that is only evidence of how great PJ is musically and lyrically.

I know the next album won't be Epic or a Masterpiece by any stretch but it will be heaps better than 'Lemonade' or '25'!

Disclaimer: I watched the Grammys last night with my daughter. After 15 mins, I remembered why I stopped watching award shows. Had to pour a cyanide&gin cocktail.

What was the joke? If you want to know the nominees and winners of the Grammys, just look at any 12 year old girls playlist.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

Absolutely. I've listened to Lemonade about 50x. I've listened to Lightning Bolt twice at the most. A new producer would be nice; I've always like Steve Albini's touch. And I don't care if they sing about politics or nachos and guac, as long as it's something they're passionate about. As long as it's creative, innovative and it rocks. Allegedly "Go" is about Ed's pickup truck, so the topic doesn't matter.
    Albini as next producer, yes please!!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    I really can't stand PJ's last two albums, believe me I tried with them, but never revisit them now, they're so middle-of-the-road dull. I'd like to see a new producer too, Steve Albini would be a great choice as would Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, Beck) or Gil Norton (Pixies, Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape)...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    GardLivingston89GardLivingston89 Posts: 942
    edited February 2017

Are we really talking about Lemonade? Really? How have you listened to LB twice? Who are you? Lol
    Post edited by GardLivingston89 on
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Happy Pearl Jam just isn't as enjoyable in terms of material. Kids, Cubs, famous friends, freedom by wealth means no need to write another album anytime soon. The next great PJ album I would bet would be a dark one in 15 years or so when death and mortality and retrospective of a lifetime of highs and lows and regrets gives Eddie a purpose to express it.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Happy Pearl Jam just isn't as enjoyable in terms of material. Kids, Cubs, famous friends, freedom by wealth means no need to write another album anytime soon. The next great PJ album I would bet would be a dark one in 15 years or so when death and mortality and retrospective of a lifetime of highs and lows and regrets gives Eddie a purpose to express it.

Good points...and EVERYTHING is better when your younger..great or epic pj albums are a thing of the past..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    tbergs said:

And they sabotaged Hetfield's mic! ;) Agree on 21 Pilots. I tried, but I just can't stand their music. Good news is that we should only be a few years away from the next rock music revolution. Seems like about every 30 years there's a shift. We had to get through the 70's and 80's to experience the 90's. There are always a few great bands intermixed during that span, but it seems pretty sparse these days in the rock landscape.
    Blasphemy! 80's music was AMAZING.
  • Options

yikes
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347

All they need to do is trust themselves to self produce an album imo

They should let Trent Reznor or Jim James do it :) Or Rick Rubin maybe.
    word. Those first two would be awesome. Another guy out there that I think could make a positive impact on Pearl Jam's music is Josh Homme. I feel like with Rubin its basically a different flavor of O'Brien.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    edited February 2017

Are we really talking about Lemonade? Really? How have you listened to LB twice? Who are you? Lol
    LOL. Yeah, I'm exaggerating. I've actually listened to LB 1-1/2 times. I brought it out again today -- just to look at the awesome album art. It still has that "new book smell." It has only 3 songs I would go out of my way to listen to. It's not my fault I don't love it; I didn't produce it!

Post edited by green_girl on
  • Options

yikes
    Okayyy, I guess that's something to look forward to?
  • Options
    I just think you write best when you have something to say or express or get out. You tour because you love to play and PJ has an amazing catalog to pull from. I can accept that.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347

I just think you write best when you have something to say or express or get out. You tour because you love to play and PJ has an amazing catalog to pull from. I can accept that.

Damn. Well put!
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    KC2917 said:

tbergs said:

Blasphemy! 80's music was AMAZING.
    80's pop, yes, but rock was pretty hit or miss.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

I can confirm this 110% on a much smaller level than Pearl Jam. I put out a record almost two years ago and it was really well reviewed. It dealt mostly with divorce and some high profile deaths in my life. It gave the record a feel to it. So now here I am with about 20 full songs musically composed and I don't know what to say. I should have plenty to say but it's just not clicking. Sad thing is, the music is beautiful and I just can't match it. Whoever said you have your whole life to write your first record and six months for your second sure hit the nail on the head.

I can't imagine having to dig in like this band has done for ten albums. Crazy.
  • Options
    The waiting is driving us all mad for sure.
    It will be worth it though this time. This extra long time with no announcement of an upcoming album yet is refreshing too.
    They are putting polish on this record before release on their own terms.
    Take your time PJ don't give us another album that starts strong and then the latter half of the songs become forgettable.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    edited February 2017
    They don't take that long to make albums. They just take a long time in between making them. I bet they haven't done anything yet for a new album other than trade some demos.
    When they are ready they will retreat to LA for 3-4 weeks and knock it out. If they don't like the songs, they will take another year and spend another three weeks in LA to finish it. PJ is not a priority anymore which is fine. We are lucky they still like each other and want to play music together.

We know that they are pros that can quickly put a song together (toughest on Ed though). We know they like their time away from Pearl Jam. Do the math. Nothing epic. Will settle for great!
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017

They don't take that long to make albums. They just take a long time in between making them. I bet they haven't done anything yet for a new album other than trade some demos.
    When they are ready they will retreat to LA for 3-4 weeks and knock it out. If they don't like the songs, they will take another year and spend another three weeks in LA to finish it. PJ is not a priority anymore which is fine. We are lucky they still like each other and want to play music together.

Sad but true.
    All the side projects and making music with others has eroded PJ.
    PJ is not a priority anymore and that hits hard.
    Their focus has shifted to other music and making covers great.
    This really sucks.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I can confirm this 110% on a much smaller level than Pearl Jam. I put out a record almost two years ago and it was really well reviewed. It dealt mostly with divorce and some high profile deaths in my life. It gave the record a feel to it. So now here I am with about 20 full songs musically composed and I don't know what to say. I should have plenty to say but it's just not clicking. Sad thing is, the music is beautiful and I just can't match it. Whoever said you have your whole life to write your first record and six months for your second sure hit the nail on the head.

I can't imagine having to dig in like this band has done for ten albums. Crazy.

I hear ya. Congrats on your first record. I'm in the process of writing my first EP, (just for myself really) hindered by the birth of a child, work, and family obligations. If I was single with no kids, I would have knocked out a lot more music at this point. It is what it is. Unfinished songs lingering in my mind, but I don't have the time.
    Post edited by PJammer4life on