Options

Next album is going to be epic!

JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 560
edited February 2017 in The Porch
Some artists can stretch out an entire album worth of material with a one single emotional moment. Having a baby, breaking up, experiencing a loss.

Just think of the vast ups and downs members of PJ experienced in the last few years. Will be a masterpiece!

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    trump might help the material, but PJ has been on a downward slide since avocado.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

trump might help the material, but PJ has been on a downward slide since avocado.

That's the spirit!
    President Trump, making Pearl Jam great again!
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

(Riot Act)

(Avocado still respectable though)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    They all need to reread Ishmael again =)
  • Options
    definitely love the 'angst' more than the 'love'
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 824
    Hoping for a live return of Bushleager in honor of Trump. Hell, I'm just hoping for a live return period! Come on guys...come out West again please!
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I think the silence from the PJ camp about the new record is a good thing. That being said, I'd like some information! Ha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    imagine the frenzy...
    A pic of them in the studio, outside a studio, at a coffee shop down the street from a studio.
  • Options
    Trump V Hillary, EB Donation, Cubs Win, RRHOF
    that's like a two disc album right there.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Maybe we'll get Speed All The Way on the next one. :lol:
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Two things:
    It doesnt have to be epic but many would certainly appreciate a Very Good album.
    Positive thing tho, after the last two albums, that shouldnt be that hard to accomplish in relation.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Jbarker said:

That band does not exist anymore.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,290

Jbarker said:

Yah... it's hard to be angsty when your life has probably exceeded your wildest expectations.. how much anger can they possibly have left... lol.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    edited February 2017

Two things:
    It doesnt have to be epic but many would certainly appreciate a Very Good album.
    Positive thing tho, after the last two albums, that shouldnt be that hard to accomplish in relation.

I think there are good songs on those albums... but they also have a "We need to release a new album because that is our job, and also so we can go out on tour" feel too them.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    I have always wanted an all acoustic album. As long as its mostly dark.
  • Options
    I've already got 10 song titles for them...they can do the rest

Upside down
    Odds and evens
    Concerted effort
    Skyscraper
    Uncovered
    Alien/nation
    Erosion control
    No country
    Solitary
    Miles away
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455

I've already got 10 song titles for them...they can do the rest

Upside down
    Odds and evens
    Concerted effort
    Skyscraper
    Uncovered
    Alien/nation
    Erosion control
    No country
    Solitary
    Miles away

That would be an interesting way of approaching an album.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    Zod said:

Jbarker said:

Yah... it's hard to be angsty when your life has probably exceeded your wildest expectations.. how much anger can they possibly have left... lol.
    The band was derived from youthful angst and rebellion. Then they grew up, matured and made a bunch of good records.
    I have no problems with that. Some of us are wishing we/they could go back to the early days but those are gone.
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

Zod said:

Jbarker said:

The band was derived from youthful angst and rebellion. Then they grew up, matured and made a bunch of good records.
    I have no problems with that. Some of us are wishing we/they could go back to the early days but those are gone.
    The problem starts when their love songs have lyrics sounding like they are ripped from a Hallmark card.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I'm probably in the minority here but I'd be fine if they didn't put out any new albums. The catalog is as good as it gets and it's not like they're selling out stadiums by people that are dying to hear songs off LB. That said, if they're still writing music I'm hopeful it rocks and we're all pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 593
    I think one of the things that made their early music and really their music throughout most of their career is the angst mixed with optimism. Even their dark songs point towards the positive, or at least a hope or yearning towards something positive. I think there is plenty of cultural material for Eddie and the boys to draw from even if their own lives are far from struggle. I'm not expecting a return to Ten or Vs, but something closer to Pearl Jam (self-titled) would be appropriate IMO.
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Options

TJ25487 said:

Zod said:

Jbarker said:

The problem starts when their love songs have lyrics sounding like they are ripped from a Hallmark card.
    I bet your significant other might disagree with you. Hahaha!
  • Options
    RhinoJam said:

I think one of the things that made their early music and really their music throughout most of their career is the angst mixed with optimism. Even their dark songs point towards the positive, or at least a hope or yearning towards something positive. I think there is plenty of cultural material for Eddie and the boys to draw from even if their own lives are far from struggle. I'm not expecting a return to Ten or Vs, but something closer to Pearl Jam (self-titled) would be appropriate IMO.

Great point! I tell people all the time that the reason I favor PJ over Nirvana is because Nirvana's overall message is one of doom and gloom where PJ recognizes the doom and gloom but provides hope that we can escape it.
  • Options
    I feel like all you need to make an awesome album (besides talent, obviously) is energy and enthusiasm, which the boys obviously still have. I believe they can still exceed our expectations with a studio album, and if not, they still fucking rock live, so at least we got that.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options

They all need to reread Ishmael again =)

Haha right on
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,351
    All they need to do is trust themselves to self produce an album imo
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,290

I feel like all you need to make an awesome album (besides talent, obviously) is energy and enthusiasm, which the boys obviously still have. I believe they can still exceed our expectations with a studio album, and if not, they still fucking rock live, so at least we got that.

That's good positivity. I still find that there's a handful of songs I really like on Backspacer and Lightning bolt, but I don't love them front to back like I do the preceding albums. I don't really live in a bubble though. Most bands experience diminishing returns in their later years. Even Zeppelin put out Coda :) PJ has such a big catalog at this point, even putting out albums where I love half the songs isn't half bad, and they already have more then enough material to tour for the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    I think the band could turn a corner and drop another Avocado record on us if they wanted. That's the fun part right? We'll all be listening no matter what.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Even if the recent complete albums arent amazing, there are still some gems, so I would much rather a mediocre album and a couple great songs sprinkled in than nothing at all
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I would add great marijuana to that list... show us that green light grin, Ed :)