Options

National Athem Singers Now Taking Knees...

Watch: Heat national anthem singer takes knee, wears Black Lives Matter shirt

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/21/miami-heat-national-anthem-singer-kneels-black-lives-matter-shirt

Kings national anthem singer takes knee during performance

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/11/sacramento-kings-national-anthem-singer-takes-knee-video

Kind of ridiculous, then decline to sing the national athem...turn down the pay...
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon

Comments

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Nothing ridiculous about it. It's the most basic form of peaceful protest. I know many of you, including myself, have issues with the BLM movement. Would you rather they protest like this, or take it to the streets like they've done in many cities in the past?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

Nothing ridiculous about it. It's the most basic form of peaceful protest. I know many of you, including myself, have issues with the BLM movement. Would you rather they protest like this, or take it to the streets like they've done in many cities in the past?

isn't volunteering to sing the anthem then protesting it at the same time kind of hypocritical? it makes them look ridiculous
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    pjalive21 said:

isn't volunteering to sing the anthem then protesting it at the same time kind of hypocritical? it makes them look ridiculous
    no, it's saying "I love my country, but improvements are needed, stop ignoring them".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    You had one job ...
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    pjalive21 said:

yes it does
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    It doesn't bother me ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    reminds me of little kids screaming in the front yard because dad said you have get your chores done before you go play.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Singing the praises of a country... while at the same time protesting it.

The ultimate selfie: "Watch me. Watch me. Get ready everybody. Sshh. Get ready. Here it comes. See me? See me? My knee is down like that QB on that team. And now listen to my awesomeness. Ouch. F**k me. My knee hurts. This floor is hard. Oh yeah. Black lives matter. Vote Hillary."

But it doesn't really bug me. People have looked much stupider doing much less. It's actually become comical to me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

reminds me of little kids screaming in the front yard because dad said you have get your chores done before you go play.

Godfather.

you haven't the slightest idea of the plight of the minority, obviously.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited October 2016

Singing the praises of a country... while at the same time protesting it.

The ultimate selfie: "Watch me. Watch me. Get ready everybody. Sshh. Get ready. Here it comes. See me? See me? My knee is down like that QB on that team. And now listen to my awesomeness. Ouch. F**k me. My knee hurts. This floor is hard. Oh yeah. Black lives matter. Vote Hillary."

But it doesn't really bug me. People have looked much stupider doing much less. It's actually become comical to me.

Exactly, if you feel that bad about your country then don't represent the country by singing the anthem.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    seems that the idea of peaceful protest is lost on many of you. if you don't protest on a stage where people see you, it has zero effect. pretty simple.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

seems that the idea of peaceful protest is lost on many of you. if you don't protest on a stage where people see you, it has zero effect. pretty simple.

So how is the kneeling working? Any metrics established yet to track effectiveness?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

So how is the kneeling working? Any metrics established yet to track effectiveness?
    well, this thread for one. one website whose main function has nothing to do with sports or politics. it wouldn't exist without it. it's called bringing awareness.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

Godfather.

and you do ? shall I break out my violin for a spoiled football player ?

Godfather.

• Options

Jason P said:

well, this thread for one. one website whose main function has nothing to do with sports or politics. it wouldn't exist without it. it's called bringing awareness.
    It's bringing divisiveness
  • Options

Godfather.

and you do ? shall I break out my violin for a spoiled football player ?

Godfather.

um, yeah, I do.

he's not doing this for himself, no matter what people say. he's bringing awareness to a national problem. he's making a statement for those who don't have that platform.

he's not expecting your violin. he's hoping people like you will stop saying "get over it" and actually do something positive for a change instead of spreading hate and ignorance.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,678
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Do you have an effective way to measure this divisiveness? I see divisiveness coming from people who are in denial about racism in our country and want to minimize it's effects. Their defensiveness creates the divisiveness.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Do you have an effective way to measure this divisiveness? I see divisiveness coming from people who are in denial about racism in our country and want to minimize it's effects. Their defensiveness creates the divisiveness.
    you can be against people kneeling for the National Anthem but not be in denial about racism. As I've said before I don't think it's appropriate to do this during the National Anthem but by saying that I surely am not advocating that there aren't racial issues to be addressed in this country. the two do not go hand-in-hand.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,678
    pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

you can be against people kneeling for the National Anthem but not be in denial about racism. As I've said before I don't think it's appropriate to do this during the National Anthem but by saying that I surely am not advocating that there aren't racial issues to be addressed in this country. the two do not go hand-in-hand.
    I agree, and being against them kneeling doesn't mean you're being divisive. My point is that divisiveness isn't created by the protest, it's created by the person responding divisively.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

It's not a denial of racism. People find it disrespectful, thus they won't be swayed to side with whatever point protesters are trying to make. Same thing when people think it's wise to shut down traffic to bring awareness. How many people are going to side with them while stewing away in anger on a freeway?

There must be wiser and more effective ways to bring about change. Pissing people off clearly isn't working.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

It's not a denial of racism. People find it disrespectful, thus they won't be swayed to side with whatever point protesters are trying to make. Same thing when people think it's wise to shut down traffic to bring awareness. How many people are going to side with them while stewing away in anger on a freeway?

There must be wiser and more effective ways to bring about change. Pissing people off clearly isn't working.
    I am pretty sure the entire civil rights movement was based on peacefully pissing people off.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

to be fair, most protests of this nature are deemed disrespectful because of when it's done. look at those two guys in the olympics back in the 70's was it, standing on the podium with their fists in the air. they were vilified in the press and the public. now they are considered heroes with their own statues.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

to be fair, most protests of this nature are deemed disrespectful because of when it's done. look at those two guys in the olympics back in the 70's was it, standing on the podium with their fists in the air. they were vilified in the press and the public. now they are considered heroes with their own statues.
    John Carlos and Tommie Smith were given hell upon there return to the US. Years later they were glad they protested on that Olympic stage and I agree that was the appropriate stage go make that civil rights protest.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

First response nailed it. Good stuff.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,839
    So everyone seems to agree there are racial inequalities in the country.
    But people are against BLM because of violent related actions.
    Now some people are against the kneelers and their peaceful protests because it 'disrespects' the country or something.
    Sounds like the South in '60's. Know your place boy.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    eddiec said:

So everyone seems to agree there are racial inequalities in the country.
    But people are against BLM because of violent related actions.
    Now some people are against the kneelers and their peaceful protests because it 'disrespects' the country or something.
    Sounds like the South in '60's. Know your place boy.

No way to win, is there eddiec.

Thankfully, we've come along way since the deep south 60's but we're not there yet.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    let me guess you folks are going to rip the Sixers for not letting woman sing with a 'we matter' shirt. We matter? guess that's a new one. in my opinion as an invited guest you don't get to do whatever you want.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Sixers-Anthem-Singer-We-Matter-Jersey-Got-Her-Booted-From-Singing-398800261.html
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

let me guess you folks are going to rip the Sixers for not letting woman sing with a 'we matter' shirt. We matter? guess that's a new one. in my opinion as an invited guest you don't get to do whatever you want.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Sixers-Anthem-Singer-We-Matter-Jersey-Got-Her-Booted-From-Singing-398800261.html

that's a tough one. I'm not so sure about that yet. while she said she was never given any type of dresscode, it is obviously still up to the organization what is deemed appropriate. however, it's not like it was a violent or obsene message on the shirt. just sounds like the sixers don't want to be involved in this.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

pjhawks said:

that's a tough one. I'm not so sure about that yet. while she said she was never given any type of dresscode, it is obviously still up to the organization what is deemed appropriate. however, it's not like it was a violent or obsene message on the shirt. just sounds like the sixers don't want to be involved in this.
    Isn't it up to the organization how they want the anthem sang as well?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E09LU6XVyxs