Options

Jeesh, some PJ fans are super jaded...

So I started thinking about this after the MSG II show this year. I did not attend the show, but was really jealous after seeing the set list (Surrender with Rick Nielsen, Driven to Tears with F*N Sting) and would have loved to have seen that show...I was really surprised to see some of the negative comments following this show.

One of the great things about Pearl Jam is that every show is different and to expect the unexpected. I have been to 27 shows (including last night at Fenway) and have NEVER been disappointed at show. The band has been bringing it every night and melting faces for 25 years and they are still going strong!!! To complain about setlists, too many covers, too little covers, not enough rarities, not enough merch, how people act at the show, etc., etc., etc., is a head scratcher for me.

It seems like even if Ed played the Harmonica, Accordion, Ukulele and Guitar all at the same time while jumping on one foot - some people would complain that he didn't play a kazoo out of his ass.

Maybe people should temper their expectations and just go and enjoy seeing the best band in America?

Rant over...

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hope vs. expectation?

Vs. demand?

I don't know.

Seen 'em only twice and went in open.

Both were just beautiful and inhaled with thanks. No disappointment whatsoever.

(but...I might pay a bit extra to see some ass-kazoo playing!)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Bigger picture stuff there OP.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,904
    Many fans are jaded. Last night was my 24th show and it was spectacular. People set their expectations to impossible heights.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181

Many fans are jaded. Last night was my 24th show and it was spectacular. People set their expectations to impossible heights.

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390
    j-j-jaded
  • Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    So you're saying they are covering Aerosmith's Jaded tomorrow night???

BTW I agree with your rant.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,904
    Hobbes said:

j-j-jaded

Probably the worst Aerosmith song ever :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    edited August 2016
    Agree
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,849
    edited August 2016

Hobbes said:

j-j-jaded

Probably the worst Aerosmith song ever :lol:
    I think Pink takes the cake on that one and you are right some fans set the bar too high for every show. I go in hoping to get a couple of songs that are surprises and the rest I could care less what they do. Last nights show had at least 10 of those moments along with a tight set. The only setback of the night was the second encore and that was due to time constraints. Also I have seen plenty of vids now of people on the field and they are just standing there. What a waste of good seats imo. Why are you in section A just to stare at the band. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :lol: were any of them prego? Haha that was me a couple years ago. I had to pull it way back wanted to jump so badly ha I did a lot of bouncing haha.

Anyway I've been in some lame crowds. But that's ok I just do what I do.

I get super excited when I have a live one in my section!! :rock_on:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Totally agree with this discussion post 100%. It's almost embarrassing seeing the complaints sometimes on every show.
    I was in heaven last night at Fenway!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    Tomorrow will be my 20th show and all of them have been special in some way. If you complain about a PJ show then you've probably seen them too much.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JC38557JC38557 Posts: 33
    It is a fanbase that is getting older and as people age and they reflect on their likely miserable lives, they end up complaining about everything. Forget them, they are wrong and selfish. What Pearl Jam did last night was incredible. To leave that show and think anything but, "I saw something special last night," is absurd.

It wasn't my favorite all time PJ show but it is up there.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    For the most part, i'm anti-cover.
  • Options
    Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136
    Realize that not everyone has and shares your opinions. I am just as big of a fan as any one of you all. I love every show. This one just seemed a little off to me. The setlist was just missing something. I don't know what it was but after baba I was saying, "that's it"? The sound, the venue the build up we're all stellar. Fenway did a great hosting job and perhaps I was just caught up in the hype and expecting my face to melt, it just got a little sunburned. This doesn't mean that I'm not as good a fan as any of you. Not every show is gonna go in the setlist history book, here's hoping for Sunday. Again, MY opinion, yours will differ and that's ok. If we all thought the same then this ball of water would be a boring place to live. Sunday can't come soon enough! Love ya!! Oh, Sunday will be show 8 for me so I haven't seen them that much.
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JC38557 said:

It is a fanbase that is getting older and as people age and they reflect on their likely miserable lives, they end up complaining about everything. Forget them, they are wrong and selfish. What Pearl Jam did last night was incredible. To leave that show and think anything but, "I saw something special last night," is absurd.

It wasn't my favorite all time PJ show but it is up there.

Hey! I'm aging (ain't we all?) and will admit to being a curmudgeon on occasion, but know that age - time - and what we hopefully learn from it in the process in no way automatically renders constant complainers or much else negative.

From,
    The usually not-miserable (as well as hope some won't be so quick to judge others based on.....AGE? Alrighty!)
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

So I started thinking about this after the MSG II show this year. I did not attend the show, but was really jealous after seeing the set list (Surrender with Rick Nielsen, Driven to Tears with F*N Sting) and would have loved to have seen that show...I was really surprised to see some of the negative comments following this show.

One of the great things about Pearl Jam is that every show is different and to expect the unexpected. I have been to 27 shows (including last night at Fenway) and have NEVER been disappointed at show. The band has been bringing it every night and melting faces for 25 years and they are still going strong!!! To complain about setlists, too many covers, too little covers, not enough rarities, not enough merch, how people act at the show, etc., etc., etc., is a head scratcher for me.

It seems like even if Ed played the Harmonica, Accordion, Ukulele and Guitar all at the same time while jumping on one foot - some people would complain that he didn't play a kazoo out of his ass.

Maybe people should temper their expectations and just go and enjoy seeing the best band in America?

Rant over...

I agree with you, but you will always have people give their opinion regardless if it's negative or positive, sadly it's part of being a fan. If more fans were like you, I think people would enjoy the shows and not be caught up in posters or merch or getting rail.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    I want an EV ass kazoo then
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    OP
    You had to have seen these responses coming with your post.
    It was only a matter of time before the kazoo became the next whitewhale to some.
    Sad but true.
  • Options
    I have been to some epic PJ shows, 2 of the 3 Mansfield '03 shows, Philly 4 in '09, Hartford in '08 and '10, and last night was right up there with the best of them. Yeah Ed's voice may miss some notes nowadays but the band as a whole still brings it, every single time. I really dont see how anyone couldn't have enjoyed themselves last night but if you didn't I feel sorry for you. I had some drunk wanker next to me complaining half the show about how "off" the band was and I still had a blast.
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    The show was solid but the setlist didn't flow as well as previous shows I've seen. Not saying it was terrible, it just seemed different and more mellow then the other 13 times I've seen them. I'll be honest, being from Philly I am a bit spoiled. They always bring it in Philly. Rarities, covers, basic album songs...Never seen a bad show from them there. So hopefully Sunday they bring it and blow the doors off of Fenway!
  • Options
    Poncier said:

That is awesome and well played my friend!!!!

Ass Kazoo coming to a merch stand near you. Just make sure you get in line early before they sell out...
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390
    I figured Ed would toss out ass kazoos like he does tambourines.

toot. toot. toss...

toot. toot. toss...

toot. toot. toss...
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,869
    edited August 2016

Is it too much to ask that he would add a tag to the song after he did all of this, while throwing me a few guitar picks and tambourines? And why didn't he add a little more excitement by climbing the rafters with this?
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,447
    last night was great not the greatest show I've seen but I loved every moment. Thank you pearl jam and everyone involved in making it a awesome experience. Can't Waite for tomorrow.
    ComeToTX said:

If you complain about a PJ show then you've probably seen them too much.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,869
    People will always find ways to complain. Instead of just admiring a show that the band gave their all to. You will never be able to please everybody.
  • Options
    ekim997ekim997 Pennsylvania Posts: 105
    WEAPONX24 said:

The show was solid but the setlist didn't flow as well as previous shows I've seen. Not saying it was terrible, it just seemed different and more mellow then the other 13 times I've seen them. I'll be honest, being from Philly I am a bit spoiled. They always bring it in Philly. Rarities, covers, basic album songs...Never seen a bad show from them there. So hopefully Sunday they bring it and blow the doors off of Fenway!

My feelings exactly about last night. I'm a bit spoiled with the philly shows so the mellow set list last night wasn't ideal but still awesome. Would love to go Sunday too...posted elsewhere if anyone wants to trade Sunday fenway tix for temple of the dog philly 2 let me know!
  • Options
    stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
    Just my thoughts...

I've noticed this too. I think sometimes, people need to chill on the amount of shows they do. If you are experiencing something all the time, it loses its thrill.

I think it's the saving money, hustling to find tickets and all that stuff that makes a getting to that show that much more special.

So it's probably not so much the age, but the resources people have to go see the shows. The older people get the more financially comfortable they become.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I like Pearl Jam
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO