Options

Can we be honest about the song Fatal?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Stove wrote:
    Seasonally (Yes, I favor some PJ stuff depending on season, time of day & mood) I always think of this song in the fall, because I got Lost Dogs in the fall of 07. I remember the exact moment I first put it on my cd player and how amazed I was. Stone does a similar chord change on "Unhand Me" on Bayleaf, it's a completely different song but he really tapped into something beautiful and mysterious. Would LOVE to hear this live.

I was gonna mention the chord change thing but I figured no one would've gotten the reference. I try to dumb down my posts to insure it gets thru to the masses.

Just kidding I'm retarded too.
    :crazy:

Good call on what you posted... I think this is a perfect rainy Seattle song.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    bradsaidbradsaid Posts: 11
    wow the interpretations on this song are all over the place. A couple people said that it is about Columbine, can anyone point me to where they heard that?

to me it's about an ex girlfriend/wife who now has a new man, and in a way coming to terms with it any moving on

'how good is he? how warm are his eyes'
    'did he arrive too late'
    'how good is he? How warm is his heart or ego?'

i connect with these lyrics as my genuine concern for the well being of a girl I once loved - her new partner, is he a good person? can i trust him with her?

'when anger's in fashion'
    'i wake up and wait up'
    'the answers are fatal'

waking up at night.. sleepless.. where is she, what is she doing? waiting for the answers, knowing them, can be so painful - almost fatal

'is he truly out of sight, is he truly out of mind?

and finally , can I put the thought of you and him behind me?

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited May 2016

LOVE THIS SONG! I still can't believe it was left off Binaural. Supposedly it was the producer's (Tchad Blake)favorite song from the whole bunch. I also remember hearing Stone wrote most of the lyrics as well as the music. And that the original lyrics were "The answer's in Plato," referring to the philosopher. Ed suggested "The answer's are Fatal."

Got to see it live in Buffalo 2010; that was a BIG check off the list! :D

I wake up and wait up

I felt bad for Tchad. I feel like the band sabotaged that record with their song choices and he seems to get a bad rap for not working out with the fast songs.

I was shocked and ecstatic to hear Fatal in Leeds.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Poncier said:

The answer's in play-doh.

:rofl:
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    Double post that I did not do.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited May 2016
    "Sad" for me. Amazing music and lyrics but Fatal is also amazing. Love "Otherside" as well I just wish I could understand the lyrics better on the song. Kinda mumbling
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Wrigley 16 - we will have fatal
  • Options
    OP since you're being honest...
    Fatal belongs on lost dogs.
  • Options
    FlameryFlamery New York Posts: 256
    My vote is for Undone.
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,810

Tboz51 wrote:

This may be the best "left off" song ever!

Fatal & Sad are two incredible songs. I was first amazed that they left these off any record -- but then I later appreciated the gem that was left for us to dig up elsewhere (until lost dogs of course) :)

Yes Fatal is right there on top! Good call. With Sad, Otherside, Undone, and Wash in the conversation.
  • Options
    jlj_swejlj_swe Posts: 175
    Sad and Hitchhiker have always been my favs from Lost Dogs.
    Stockholm 1992-02-07
    Stockholm 1992-06-25
    Stockholm 1995-08-12
    Stockholm 2000-06-28
    Lisbon 2010-07-10
    Stockholm 2012-07-07
    Stockholm 2014-06-28

https://artbyjoachim.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    I think it would have fit nicely after Of the Girl or Soon Forget on the Binaural Album.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    There's at least a full albums worth of material on lost dogs that is superior to every single track they've put out in the past ten years. Clearly they're outside of their creative peak...but no reason to assume they'll never be able to get that mojo back. Ive seen it with too many other artists. Optimistically awaiting the next album.
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,184
    bradsaid said:

wow the interpretations on this song are all over the place. A couple people said that it is about Columbine, can anyone point me to where they heard that?

to me it's about an ex girlfriend/wife who now has a new man, and in a way coming to terms with it any moving on

'how good is he? how warm are his eyes'
    'did he arrive too late'
    'how good is he? How warm is his heart or ego?'

i connect with these lyrics as my genuine concern for the well being of a girl I once loved - her new partner, is he a good person? can i trust him with her?

'when anger's in fashion'
    'i wake up and wait up'
    'the answers are fatal'

waking up at night.. sleepless.. where is she, what is she doing? waiting for the answers, knowing them, can be so painful - almost fatal

'is he truly out of sight, is he truly out of mind?

and finally , can I put the thought of you and him behind me?

Listen to it again from the perspective of a man who's girlfriend / wife has cheated on him. They haven't split, but can they make it.
    If he's truly out of sight (affair over) is he truly out of mind.

Very haunting and intimate lyrics.

I've always thought this song was about a man realizing his wife has or is having an affair.

I may be totally off...

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    How good is he? How warm are his eyes?
    You'll see it's not a reprise
    Did he arrive too late and too tethered away
    To put on his suit and his tie?

How good is he? How warm is his heart or ego, telling him which place to park?
    Did he relate? The message is clearly, hardly grounds for dismissal
    Outright... grounds for dismissal outright...

I wake up and wait up
    When anger's in fashion
    I wake up and wait up
    It echoes through the mansions
    I wake up and wait up
    When April's in May, oh, uh-oh
    I wake up and wait up
    The answers are fatal
    The answers are fatal

I wake up and wait up
    The answers are fatal
    If he's truly out of sight, is he truly out of mind?
    If he's truly out of sight...
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    Beautiful stuff! A great great song!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    weebleweeble Bristol, England Posts: 133
    Forgot how truly awesome this song is. Not often I play Lost Dogs so don't get to hear it much, but a pleasure to 'rediscover' it thanks to this thread popping up again! :)
    This might pass, this might last, this may grow
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Fatal sounds awesome in the Binaural tracklist. I have a burned copy of the original track list and though it's lengthy, it's fucking awesome. Could have been a double album easily.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,013
    Brilliant song!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113
    Always have loved this song, Lost dogs is full of masterpieces.
    Stove said:

Seasonally (Yes, I favor some PJ stuff depending on season, time of day & mood) I always think of this song in the fall, because I got Lost Dogs in the fall of 07. I remember the exact moment I first put it on my cd player and how amazed I was. Stone does a similar chord change on "Unhand Me" on Bayleaf, it's a completely different song but he really tapped into something beautiful and mysterious. Would LOVE to hear this live.

Never figured out the similar chord change, I will listen to it again!
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Nice song...I Like it...