Options

Can we be honest about the song Fatal?

Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
edited November 2011 in The Porch
This may be the best "left off" song ever!

Beautifully, creepy, awkwardly filled with truth....

Not sure my interpretations are correct but the song makes me think that EV is singing about God/the lack there of a God.

Like as in... The "answers are fatal" meaning that the only way to "know if God exists" is to be dead.

Lost Dogs is loaded with these Hope diamond songs.

We may all be lucky that instead of forcing 2-3 more songs onto every album they did do a super album.

MHO
"Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
:-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    The answer's in play-doh.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I can't stop listening to the beneroya version of this. Sooo good.
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Shawshank wrote:

Thank you... Gonna search on YouTurd for it now.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    its a cracker!
    danny d
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Tboz51 wrote:

Fatal & Sad are two incredible songs. I was first amazed that they left these off any record -- but then I later appreciated the gem that was left for us to dig up elsewhere (until lost dogs of course) :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I agree, great song. Maybe not the best though. thats a tough call. Lost Dogs has so many spectacular songs
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    LOVE THIS SONG! I still can't believe it was left off Binaural. Supposedly it was the producer's (Tchad Blake)favorite song from the whole bunch. I also remember hearing Stone wrote most of the lyrics as well as the music. And that the original lyrics were "The answer's in Plato," referring to the philosopher. Ed suggested "The answer's are Fatal."

Got to see it live in Buffalo 2010; that was a BIG check off the list! :D

I wake up and wait up
  • Options
    Shawshank wrote:

Superb version!
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    one of my favorites
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Breathtaking song. Seriously gorgeous and haunting! And it needs to be played more live :D
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Brilliant song and I feel the same about Sad and Down and a host of others off Lost Dogs ;)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,599
    Tboz51 wrote:

Not sure my interpretations are correct but the song makes me think that EV is singing about God/the lack there of a God.

Like as in... The "answers are fatal" meaning that the only way to "know if God exists" is to be dead.

We may all be lucky that instead of forcing 2-3 more songs onto every album they did do a super album.

MHO

love the song. it's about Columbine. right?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,871
    excuse me in advance for any stupidity: all i know is that i know nothing at all

the allogory of the cave: Plato
    some dudes were locked in a cave from the start of their lives staring at the shadows on the cave walls

this was there reality

one person unlocked themselves and saw outside of the cave, not the shadows, the real reality, pure life as we all desire to live

this person came back to the cave to tell all the others what he or she found

the cave dwellers thought this person was crazy and cast them out

generally speaking: we are the dwellers living the 9 to 5 nonsense, bills etc

PJ provides us with a glimpse of the pure life we desire: according to Stone"the answers in PLATO"; EV thinks FATAL
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    They seriously need to release a Lost Dogs 2. There are just too many great songs on Lost Dogs.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    LOVE this song! This is my husband's favorite and he says the same thing.....they need to play it live more!!!
    Li
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    Shawshank wrote:

I can never listen to this once, I always press re-play. It's so haunting, thought provoking and beautiful!
    I just love it. :)
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    iamica wrote:
    They seriously need to release a Lost Dogs 2. There are just too many great songs on Lost Dogs.

Out of curiosity, what's the consensus as to what kind of stuff is left in the vault? I would absolutely love a Lost Dogs 2, but I wonder if they have enough material laying around to put one together yet.

Actually, to be more direct (I'm sure there's enough material around), I wonder if there's enough material that meets the quality level of the original Lost Dogs to warrant a second one. Then again, if even if they do have 3-5 Lost Dogs-level songs from each album still laying around, I wonder if they'd just prefer to release them on forthcoming reissues.

But yeah, to the original question, what kind of idea do have about what may or may not be in the vault anymore?
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I thought that "the answer's in Plato".
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Tboz51 wrote:

MHO

love the song. it's about Columbine. right?

Rival is about Columbine
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Tboz51 wrote:
    Shawshank wrote:

Thank you... Gonna search on YouTurd for it now.

If you hate something, don't you do it too.
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Shawshank wrote:

One of my favorite songs and my favorite versions. And like someone else said, i can never listen to it just once.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    Easily one of my top songs they've ever done. The Benaroya version is stunning! (As they all are)
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    LOVE THIS SONG! I still can't believe it was left off Binaural. Supposedly it was the producer's (Tchad Blake)favorite song from the whole bunch. I also remember hearing Stone wrote most of the lyrics as well as the music. And that the original lyrics were "The answer's in Plato," referring to the philosopher. Ed suggested "The answer's are Fatal."

Got to see it live in Buffalo 2010; that was a BIG check off the list! :D

I wake up and wait up
    Yes I was in buffalo and Ed fucked up the beginning an had to start over :lol:
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    and maybe jsut as good

otherside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDyZxZ3ViA
  • Options
    GoodbyeForNowGoodbyeForNow Vancouver Posts: 120
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Shawshank wrote:

One of my favorite songs and my favorite versions. And like someone else said, i can never listen to it just once.

:thumbup:
    Vancouver, GM Place 2005
    Vancouver, GM Place 2009
    Seattle, EV Solo, Benaroya Hall 2011
    Winnipeg, MTS Center, 2011
    Manchester, June 2012
    Phoenix, EV Solo, Comerica Theatre 2012
  • Options
    I love this song it s beautiful. And as the post above says otherside and hold on prob my favourites full stop
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Have always loved fatal. very sad but beautiful song. maybe i've interpreted too literally but i've always thought it is about a women's realization she is stuck in a rut and sees no clear out.. just my point of view. would love to hear others'.. :)
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    Have always loved fatal. very sad but beautiful song. maybe i've interpreted too literally but i've always thought it is about a women's realization she is stuck in a rut and sees no clear out.. just my point of view. would love to hear others'.. :)

word, I came to a similar conclusion...to me it always sounded like one end of a relationship losing interest and the remaining end coming to terms with it.

thanks to who posted that video for otherside...I'd completely forgotten that they'd played that
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    i wake up then bake up!
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    Seasonally (Yes, I favor some PJ stuff depending on season, time of day & mood) I always think of this song in the fall, because I got Lost Dogs in the fall of 07. I remember the exact moment I first put it on my cd player and how amazed I was. Stone does a similar chord change on "Unhand Me" on Bayleaf, it's a completely different song but he really tapped into something beautiful and mysterious. Would LOVE to hear this live.