Options

Should Eddie use a teleprompter?

mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
edited July 2013 in The Porch
I went to see Dave this weekend (I don't care what you think of him...) and noticed how he nails all the lyrics. I racked my brain and realized he's been pretty spot on the last couple years at the shows I've seen. So I got back to the hotel and surfed around the warehouse boards and was fucking shocked that Dave uses a teleprompter. Some people were offended, personally, I don't give a shit. I'm just wondering if you think Ed should use a prompter? and do you think he ever will?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yieldtrack11yieldtrack11 Posts: 163
    No! It gives each performance it's own character.
  • Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    There was an old show way back where Ed screwed up and mentions that you'll never see me using one of those. I think he was actually referring to Jerry as he started to use one late in the Dead's run. I know that Ed uses his notebook all the time at both PJ and his solo shows. You can easily find videos of him looking down at it, especially on less-played songs. I saw Mick Jagger using one at his MGM show here in Vegas a long while back.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,759
    He uses lyric sheets (for some songs anyway)...I think that's a classier way to go.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    No, The goof ups are what make each show special in its own way. Look how many people got mad because PJ cut out Come Back due to the major mess up. Sorry I dont remember what show but it was a recent show. 2011 I think
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    dwhite76 wrote:
    No, The goof ups are what make each show special in its own way. Look how many people got mad because PJ cut out Come Back due to the major mess up. Sorry I dont remember what show but it was a recent show. 2011 I think

Vancouver or Calgary, IIRC.

Exactly...the goofs are what adds character.

Think about what that would mean for Y Led... :o :!:
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    dwhite76 wrote:

Vancouver or Calgary, IIRC.

Exactly...the goofs are what adds character.

Think about what that would mean for Y Led... :o :!:

:lol: He would still flubb it
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    No.
    I could go on, but I'll just leave it alone.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    The flub was come back in Edmonton. Not really eds fault, mike was out of tune. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNj57x6W6U
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    PacMan7267PacMan7267 Posts: 103
    dwhite76 wrote:

The show was Edmonton just so you know :)
    Very entertaining to watch haha
    08-09-2009 Calgary
    09-21-2011 Calgary
    09-23-2011 Edmonton
    12-02-2013 Calgary
    456xxx
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    wow, resounding no's. Bruce has used a prompt for years, so it's not like the show can't be great. Granted, Bruce and PJ shows are different, but I just don't see the forgotten lyrics as something that adds to the shows. It's endering once in a while, but it kinda happens a lot, with pretty common songs too.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I vote no. :mrgreen:
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    lando wrote:
    The flub was come back in Edmonton. Not really eds fault, mike was out of tune. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNj57x6W6U

Its never Eds fault. Hes a Golden God :lol: It wasnt even MCCready's fault the roadie gave him the wrong guitar ;)
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    They never play Comeback well and Mike always fucks up the solo. I don't get it. Anyway, no, he shouldn't. And neither should Obama.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,047
    No.

And he should learn the lyrics enough to not use the sheets on the floor either.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    PacMan7267 wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

The show was Edmonton just so you know :)
    Very entertaining to watch haha

10/28/09 Spectrum show also.
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    No.
  • Options
    johnmc1976johnmc1976 Florida Posts: 315
    no! The screw ups are apart of what make shows unique. Makes it real. After a couple bottles of wine I don't think the prompter would matter anyway. :lol:
    00' Noblesville, IN 03' Lexington, KY, 13' Wrigley
  • Options
    DS107374DS107374 Posts: 92
    I absolutely think that he should use one...I know how people feel that the mistakes give each show their own personality but after the Spectrum shows, which are really, really bad flub-wise, I think that it's time to do it.

I agree with whoever mentioned Springsteen's shows. He uses teleprompters and you cannot dispute that a Springsteen concert is a great show.
    Randall's Island, NY 9/29/96; Camden, NJ 9/2/00; Philadelphia, PA 10/3/05; East Rutherford, NJ 6/1/06; Virginia Beach, VA 6/17/08; Camden, NJ 6/19/08; Philadelphia, PA 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
  • Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 680
    DS107374 wrote:

I agree with whoever mentioned Springsteen's shows. He uses teleprompters and you cannot dispute that a Springsteen concert is a great show.

I always wondered how he remembered all those words!!! Springsteen lyrics have a lot more words than Pearl Jam songs... I think it's cool Eddie can use a notebook. No way I would be able to read lyrics off the ground, even if the lighting was perfect.
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Man, give the guy a break.

I'm guessing, in 5 years, someone will say he should use a walking stick on the stage. :lolno:
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    My initial thought is no...Eddie shouldn't use a TelePrompter.
    I use them quite frequently for video shoots & while they are nice for taped productions...
    they CAN cause BIG problems for live events!!
    That being said, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to go on tour with Pearl Jam as a TelePrompter operator...I've got TONS of experience operating one!! :D:D
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

I would reference Satan's Bed from State College 03.. Either you love this performance or you hate it, and this probably will be your answer for if he should or should not use a teleprompter on stage...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    No.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,579
    For the solo shows he had lyric sheets for most of the songs. You can see him flip him and his tech bringing them out.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 533
    "They never play Comeback well and Mike always fucks up the solo. I don't get it. Anyway, no, he shouldn't. And neither should Obama."

Im a no for the prompter... I hope people realize how hard that solo, and the entire song Come Back is to play live. The fact that they even attempt it is awesome. And I have seen it done spectacularly well live.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    If he ever used one , or if he glances at lyric sheets, I think that's fine.
    It must be very difficult to memorize and organize 100+ songs and lyrics, especially some that have a lot of crazy words. I think Ed does it more than we realize.

I sing in a band and we only have 20 songs (mostly originals though), and I sometimes scribble the first two lines on a piece of paper and throw them at the base of the mic stand. I dont read the lyrics, but glance once and awhile so I dont screw up.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,000
    I vote yes for the TelePrompTer but I hate to break it to you folks..
    He already uses one from time to time (the TelePrompTer has a video image of the pages from his famous "composition" note book!

You can see it in some of the PJ20 Alpine concert clips.

Why the hell not?

Dave Matthews uses one and as a bootleg collector , PJ song purest, I cringe at botched lyrics...

As someone else mentioned its not like 1998...

How many songs in their catalalogue PLUS much like DMB and Bruce, the setlists are different every night.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    japhyryderjaphyryder Posts: 19
    I feel pretty strongly about this and I say NO!

I am also a really big U2 fan and on their last tour, I saw them in back to back cities (Las Vegas and Rose Bowl). Everything was scripted. It was like we heard the same jokes twice, in two different cities. Everything was off a prompter. And I was disappointed. How could this band I love, almost fear improve or mistakes? I don't want you to be perfect.

Every Pearl Jam show and Eddie show I have seen have been so different. From the stories, to the lyrics, nothing is off a prompter or scripted and I respect that (and enjoy it). Even if the setlist is similar, each show is different.
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    locked wrote:
    I vote yes for the TelePrompTer but I hate to break it to you folks..
    He already uses one from time to time (the TelePrompTer has a video image of the pages from his famous "composition" note book!

You can see it in some of the PJ20 Alpine concert clips.

I thought it might cramp his style. But if you what you wrote is true, I'd like to revise my answer to "I don't care either way."
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I actually read this thread at first as "teleporter" which would be quite different.

I say yes to teleporter, no to teleprompter.